WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chen
Posts: 5570
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Chen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:16 am UTC

Finally killed heroic Halion. The fight is actually tuned a lot more difficultly than I had initially thought. Phase 3 healing is ridiculously tight and an 8 min enrage is actually also pretty tight. I suspect if some of our dps was a bit better we could have added another healer and it would have made things a lot smoother, but as it is we beat the enrage by like 35 seconds. Its definitely a fun fight in that the tanks/healers need to do everything perfectly. The dps just have to avoid pulling agro and not dying from the little adds in phase 3. Just seems like when there's a mess of small adds lying around people go AoE happy instead of doing what they're supposed to be doing :P

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby FoS » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:25 am UTC

meatyochre wrote:Poor players and clamoring idiots? Wow is not a game where skill plays a large part. If you want to be an elitist about the playstyle ability of "teh masses" then why don't you play Counterstrike or Street Fighter instead?

I'm so tired of attitudes like yours. Did you ever stop to think that you are the oddity, and that the less-skilled masses are the norm?


An ancient arcade game and the FPS choice of 12 year olds? Really?

I realise less skilled players are the norm except I don't care. If you're someone who struggles with complexity then play a class that you can play well. There are plenty of options that cater to that and allow you to still add value to a raid.

In the end if you theorycraft and analyse your play with excruciating detail I suppose it's possible to increase the complexity and performance of just about any class but I love Cats the way they are right now.
Now I just need to wrangle so I tank less and DPS more.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: WoWzers!

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

FoS wrote:I realise less skilled players are the norm except I don't care.

You probably should. Because when wow changes to accommodate its customer base (or is "dumbed down", in the words of an elitist), you won't have to act all surprised.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

FoS wrote:An ancient arcade game and the FPS choice of 12 year olds? Really?


Because elitism isn't the problem people are having already, so you should do it more.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby FoS » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

Heh, you can slag me off for being Elitist as much as you want but the reality is I play WoW only to Raid and only to Raid with like-minded individuals.
Come Cata I will no longer be forced to drag inept people along with me in 25man content.

I know a dumbing down is unavoidable. It's a business decision and Blizzard in the end is a business that needs to cater to the majority of it's population.
As much as I like the game, if I ever reach that point where I find that all my "elitist" friends have ceased to play and I'm forced to raid with morons then I'll merrily move on.

There are MMO's out there that cater exclusively to people who do not want to log on to the MMO version of Idiocracy.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:44 am UTC

No, listen. The extra complication isn't fun or interesting. As long as it's static (it is), you DON'T have to think.

FoS wrote:I like it so much because it's so much tougher then anything else.


And apparently it isn't fun to you either, because you like feral dps because you are an elitist.

So yeah, complain about how it's getting dumbed down all you like, but the reality is that unearned feelings of superiority aren't a tenable design philosophy.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
Babam
the Nearly Deleted
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 am UTC
Location: A multiverse, wandering the couch
Contact:

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Babam » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Unearned? Have you ever in your life even tried the feral DPS rotation and managed to make it go just oh so perfect and received that awesome high of perfection? How the hell isn't he having fun? He's stating he likes it because it is a challenge, it isn't a set rotation, but a juggling act of multiple debuffs/buffs that when messed up can ruin your DPS. What is wrong with wanting something to actually be challenging? I guess I'm an elitist because I enjoy hardmodes, I'm also an elitist because I wish the boomkin rotation was more complex.

Guess what, casuals aren't what keep the game going, sure they come in and ruin a couple things while contributing their 15 dollars; but the hardcore, the true raiders are the one who stick by Blizzard's side day in and day out no matter what.

You may be happy running Heroic #4573405739045730, he's happy killing the god-damn lich king on heroic mode with 24 other people who actually know their class, play it well and actually know the encounter. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a challenge, in fact it is what games are all about.
Guess what, the feral rotation isn't static it changes and flows like a river a river of GOD DAMN FUN.

Take your "You are an elitist because you like hard things" and shove it.

And his feeling of superiority is valid. If he can play a more complicated class, or play that class better than you? He is superior to you by definition.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:18 am UTC

Nothing wrong with wanting a challenge, but it is a little silly to like something because it makes you feel cool to play a class you think is harder than everyone else's.

And feral dps is exactly the same in every fight. Static. The fact that there is such a thing at all is the biggest problem with WoW's design. If anything, making it simpler gives the designers room to implement more actual decision making in moment to moment combat.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:03 am UTC

Babam wrote:Unearned? Have you ever in your life even tried the feral DPS rotation and managed to make it go just oh so perfect and received that awesome high of perfection? How the hell isn't he having fun? He's stating he likes it because it is a challenge, it isn't a set rotation, but a juggling act of multiple debuffs/buffs that when messed up can ruin your DPS. What is wrong with wanting something to actually be challenging? I guess I'm an elitist because I enjoy hardmodes, I'm also an elitist because I wish the boomkin rotation was more complex.

Guess what, casuals aren't what keep the game going, sure they come in and ruin a couple things while contributing their 15 dollars; but the hardcore, the true raiders are the one who stick by Blizzard's side day in and day out no matter what.

You may be happy running Heroic #4573405739045730, he's happy killing the god-damn lich king on heroic mode with 24 other people who actually know their class, play it well and actually know the encounter. There is nothing wrong with enjoying a challenge, in fact it is what games are all about.
Guess what, the feral rotation isn't static it changes and flows like a river a river of GOD DAMN FUN.

Take your "You are an elitist because you like hard things" and shove it.

And his feeling of superiority is valid. If he can play a more complicated class, or play that class better than you? He is superior to you by definition.


This...is a tantrum. Switch out l33tspeak, and your hissyfit and doomtalk about how the game's being ruined by x people who enjoy the game differently than you do is an alternate version of WoW forum drivel.

You have no way of proving that you stick to Blizzard anymore than casuals do. In fact, your precious hard mopdes are paid for by the bulk of the customerbase-- those dreadful casuals. Without those people who "ruin" the game, Blizzard would not have expanded its department with the magnitude they have.

It is the casuals who have mainstreamed MMO's and allowed for a wider option of investors for the game, so this game can continue to be polished as well as it is. You want elitist games, try fucking Lineage, try fucking EVE. WoW is not as hard as you make it up to be, not by a long shot.

So take that bloated, reeking sense of entitlement and shove it along the way.

The problem isn't that you like hard things, that you are fond of challenges. The problem is that in order to have fun, you have to maintain this delusion of being better than someone, and that such limited criteria entitles you to special regard above everyone who does not meet your criteria.

But see, people have different criteria. A PvP'er may regard you as some retard who takes scripted encounters as a meaningful measure of skill-testing. Those Auction House whores may deem you unworthy because you're inept at playing the auction house like they can. Casuals may dismiss you as someone with "no life" (ironically, trolling facebook translates into having a legitimate life).

This game is not world of Raidcraft. It means many different things to many people, and it is the prerogative of each individual to enjoy the game as they see fit, without being put down by someone else who has another vision for how the game is meant to be played. Raiding does not entitle you to some extra consideration by developers in terms of game design, just as a PvP'er or casual should have no greater weight of worth when it comes to feedback. It's good that Blizzard sees fit to try to accommodate as many people as possible.

Adaptability to multiple audiences is a good thing for a MMO. It shows that developers are engaged and willing to evolve the game beyond the typical mold of MMO's. And that's why WoW has demolished any competition thus far.

Again, you can raid with whom you like. You can scornfully glare at the baddies all day in the circle jerk you call a guild. It's fine to ask people to meet your standards to group with you, and that they share your vision of what's fun if they want to raid alongside you (some people like their raids efficient, as opposed to 30 min recovery times while listening to chatty Texans blabbering while continuously wiping to dumb crap; that's fine). What gets you filtered out from any conversation with players who don't share your view of fun is the blatant disdain you make sure to communicate toward those who would not advocate development sources for your priorities for the game.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Babam
the Nearly Deleted
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 am UTC
Location: A multiverse, wandering the couch
Contact:

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Babam » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:59 am UTC

I'm fine with every one having their own play style and sense of fun, but when they impact on others play styles with their QQ I don't stand for it. Nerfing a fun complex rotation just because you want to play it isn't fair to all the other players who play it because it is hard. Just like nerfing raiding isn't fair to hardcore raiders...etc...
If you want to play a complex rotation class, either learn the rotation or don't play the class. It's like what I say to people who ask for a Balance tree without Moonkin form, love the chicken or don't play the spec. Furthermore, please do point out where I used one instance of 1337 $|+3@|<

And you know whats funny? I PVP pretty well, 1700 with Boomkin/Rogue, I play the AH and make a good chunk of cash while doing so, I collect pets and mounts as well a few other "casual" things. This game has always been about the "endgame" whether that be arena, raiding, or collection of XYZ. There were always be those who are betters than others. I find it funny you say "Circle jerk of a guild" I raid casually because it's so easy now a days. I'm 9/12 Heroic ICC10 and I only raid 9 hours a week. Yes I'm "better" than the person who raids and still can't down PP. If you choose a "endgame" you should try to be the best at what you have chosen. Is it wrong for me to judge you based on your ability to succeed at your chosen "endgame"?

Really, what I'm trying to communicate is that a spec like the feral druids rotation shouldn't be nerfed because a unskilled player wants to play the spec and can't do the rotation when many feral druids play the spec because it is a difficult rotation.

Lineage is not elitist, lineage is a grind. There is a difference between difficulty, and tedium.

tl;dr
I'm entitled to my complex rotation and hardmode encounters and you're equally entitled to your 2 button rotation and easy encounters. One shouldn't suffer at the gain of the other, and nerfing the feral rotation is doing just that.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:12 am UTC

They're not gutting the feral rotation, that's all your hyperbole. They're simply widening the time windows to make the spec more accessible. Feral spec is not a complex spec by design, it just happens to be complex in its current form. It was stupidly simple in BC (and sucked too, granted).

You're just getting all riled up over changes that have not been implemented or revealed (druid trees they've admitted are basically not developed right now, will have to wait for later beta builds to see actual changes).

There doesn't have to be this false dichotomy of 2-button rotation or supposedly complex rotation. People also roll specs for their aesthetic quality, not just gameplay. Yes, it will make others have an easier time not lagging so grievously behind you, but I'm doubtful they will turn it into a retribution paladin rotation like you seem to be hinting and freaking out about.

As for the whole Lineage part, YOU see it as grind. Others would deem your view as whiny and "weak" for not wanting to put up with mindnumbing repetition, a lack of endurance so to speak (which was the case in BC when some people talked about "welfare" epics because they introduced tokens and reduced the amount of grind/luck by repetition needed to suit up a toon).

P.S. I hope you were not being serious with the 1.7k comment. PvP'ing well not only depends on the battlegroup you're in, but basically boils down to matching a 2.5-2.6k rating minimum with merely 10 games a week. Beyond well trying for gladiator would help, but I will grant some battlegroups are rather scarce in partners good enough to give gladiator a shot.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:51 am UTC

Depth is not a function of how many buttons you push.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:19 pm UTC

Kag wrote:Depth is not a function of how many buttons you push.


Well, there's certainly a minimum number of buttons required for any depth, but that number is probably 2.

I like feral because it's hard (compared to other classes. No 'rotation' is actually hard). It's still hard even with the 1 minute mangle. And for all the complaints about the game being dumbed down, everything has more depth today than it did at this time in TBC. Really though, it comes down to "Is the game fun?". If it is, great, if it isn't, well, you've enjoyed it for 6 years, maybe it's time to find something else to do.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

No, one button is enough if you have to really think about when to use it.

I don't think there's room to make anything like that in WoW, though.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

Well, you can go /m and minimise the numbers of buttons...

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Midnight » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:38 am UTC

This current discussion is inane and accomplishes nothing. Guys. It's been talked about. Since november 2004, this stuff has been talked about in various iterations. Blizzard isn't going to gut feral rotations. They're going to keep their game challenging enough for those that like a real challenge, and easy enough for those that get more fun out of playing around than succeeding at a challenge. I'm not saying that playing something for the challenge is bad, but I am not saying that it's more fun than other things. As is blizzard.


TL;DR: Simma down, y'all.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
FoS
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:46 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby FoS » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:28 am UTC

Kag wrote:No, one button is enough if you have to really think about when to use it.

I don't think there's room to make anything like that in WoW, though.


It used to be possible with /castrandom for some classes.

My Warriors offspec was Prot in BC and I disliked tanking on him so much I macro'd 2 buttons for everything. I mashed 1 Button when I had loads of Rage and 1 Button when i had very little.
What was even sadder was how well it worked.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

I meant designing a class so that the one button was actually a decision, rather than a mashable macro.

But yeah old /castrandom was super cheesy.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:45 pm UTC

Kag wrote:I meant designing a class so that the one button was actually a decision, rather than a mashable macro.

But yeah old /castrandom was super cheesy.


Well, if 2 spammable buttons can have depth, then I guess 1 that toggles between your character spamming those actions has depth as well. Do I get a prize?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

Big if. Nobody said that.

So no.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

Well, actually, I said that :)

Simple model with a bit of depth. Button 1, deals Current Mana damage, costs say 5% of max mana. Button 2, returns 10% of missing mana. Same cast time. I'd suggest this has some depth to it in only 2 buttons, and easily translates to 1 button, swapping between draining your mana over 20 seconds, dealing your current mana level in damage every second, and regenning 10% of your missing mana every second and doing no damage.

Edit: This is actually more interesting than I initially thought it would be. With 4 GCDs left in the fight, you maximize your damage with 4 different rotations depending on your current mana, I assumed it would always be 2, and the point where regenning would be better just moves up the longer is left in the fight, but that doesn't seem to be playing out that simply.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:20 am UTC

Ah, I had something different in mind when you said, "spammable."

That would be pretty interesting. I wonder how it'll compare to the new mechanics for Arcane.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
Vyn
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Vyn » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm UTC

Kag wrote:Ah, I had something different in mind when you said, "spammable."

That would be pretty interesting. I wonder how it'll compare to the new mechanics for Arcane.

Well... current beta Arcane mechanics are:
1. Get and equip glyph of mage armor
2. Cast Mage armor
3. Spam arcane blast with your now infinite mana pool
4. Profit.

Currently Mage armor restores 13% max mana every 5 sec. OP. the glyph however increases that by 20%. Additively. To 33% max mana restore every 5 seconds. Infinite mana Arcane Mage ftw.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: WoWzers!

Postby meatyochre » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:43 pm UTC

Vyn wrote:
Kag wrote:Ah, I had something different in mind when you said, "spammable."

That would be pretty interesting. I wonder how it'll compare to the new mechanics for Arcane.

Well... current beta Arcane mechanics are:
1. Get and equip glyph of mage armor
2. Cast Mage armor
3. Spam arcane blast with your now infinite mana pool
4. Profit.

Currently Mage armor restores 13% max mana every 5 sec. OP. the glyph however increases that by 20%. Additively. To 33% max mana restore every 5 seconds. Infinite mana Arcane Mage ftw.
Mage armor doesn't restore 13% max mana on live right now. Are you sure about this? It might be 13% base mana (which is not much), or 13% of your regen during the five-second rule. I can't check wow sites from work or else I'd double check. But there's no way a mage is going to get back 1/3 of their entire mana pool every 5 seconds in Cat.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

User avatar
Babam
the Nearly Deleted
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 am UTC
Location: A multiverse, wandering the couch
Contact:

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Babam » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

meatyochre wrote:
Vyn wrote:
Kag wrote:Ah, I had something different in mind when you said, "spammable."

That would be pretty interesting. I wonder how it'll compare to the new mechanics for Arcane.

Well... current beta Arcane mechanics are:
1. Get and equip glyph of mage armor
2. Cast Mage armor
3. Spam arcane blast with your now infinite mana pool
4. Profit.

Currently Mage armor restores 13% max mana every 5 sec. OP. the glyph however increases that by 20%. Additively. To 33% max mana restore every 5 seconds. Infinite mana Arcane Mage ftw.
Mage armor doesn't restore 13% max mana on live right now. Are you sure about this? It might be 13% base mana (which is not much), or 13% of your regen during the five-second rule. I can't check wow sites from work or else I'd double check. But there's no way a mage is going to get back 1/3 of their entire mana pool every 5 seconds in Cat.

Ah, the beauty of Beta.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

User avatar
Sir_Elderberry
Posts: 4206
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:50 pm UTC
Location: Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Contact:

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:20 pm UTC

That's the kind of thing that should be obvious without playtesting though...ah well. As long as it does get fixed.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Kag » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:49 am UTC

Vyn wrote:Currently Mage armor restores 13% max mana every 5 sec. OP. the glyph however increases that by 20%. Additively. To 33% max mana restore every 5 seconds. Infinite mana Arcane Mage ftw.


Mage armor restores 3% of your maximum mana every 5 seconds in the current build of the beta.

The glyph hasn't been changed at all yet, but it grants "an additional 20% mana regeneration while casting," which is decidedly not 20% of your maximum mana every five seconds.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:45 am UTC

Well, hopefully they will not make mana regen trivial. Otherwise they'd have thir mastery bonus pretty much at the higher ranges constantly, which kind of leaves masteries like Elemental Overload, Double Shot, decent % boosts to one spell type (be it DoT's, direct damage nukes, finishing abilities, combo makers, openers) in the dust in terms of impact.

As of right now it's particularly hard to run low on mana with the proper raid comp, and their mana increase model was said to affect healers only. They want DPS to not worry much about their mana, and the recent overhaul to paladins where rets and prots will gain passive mana regen to the point of never running out unless they spam heals points to that direction.

Most people have been complaining about the 31 pt talents being bland and just trimmed down crap that is not fresh or revamped. The new beta build with the paladin changes completely dismisses that view, and I am thrilled at the thoroughness of class revisions the devs have revealed as being inclined to.

Now we just all gotta wait till the other classes get the paladin treatment. Ret looks absolutely wicked, so I wonder wha will be in store for druids, hunters, warlocks, and shamans. DK's look pretty interesting, too.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

User avatar
Vyn
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Vyn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
Vyn wrote:Currently Mage armor restores 13% max mana every 5 sec. OP. the glyph however increases that by 20%. Additively. To 33% max mana restore every 5 seconds. Infinite mana Arcane Mage ftw.


Mage armor restores 3% of your maximum mana every 5 seconds in the current build of the beta.

The glyph hasn't been changed at all yet, but it grants "an additional 20% mana regeneration while casting," which is decidedly not 20% of your maximum mana every five seconds.

Before the beta build that came out yesterday it WAS 13% MAX mana restored, and the glyph boosted that to 33% MAX mana every 5 seconds. And yes, I have a mage on the beta and it is awesome. I've been playing through Blackrock caverns and spamming arcane blast to my hearts content and it is physically impossible to go under 60% mana right now. Maybe if you're naked so you have a 6k mana pool or something, but other than that, yes you have infinite mana. On beta.
Haven't logged onto the current build since yesterday because I've been busy, but I'll check it out and see if they've nerfed it later today.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

User avatar
meatyochre
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:09 am UTC
Location: flying with the Conchords

Re: WoWzers!

Postby meatyochre » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 am UTC

Most of the people I play wow with have kinda stopped until cat comes out. I am playing, but just for fun and for gold at this point (and kinda to get badges so my healers can have decent leveling sets). It's really easy to make gold now, since they cut out the moonshroud cooldown I just buy primals and dust and make cloth, and sell it at a guaranteed profit.

I'm almost up to 10k gold, which is weird because usually I can't even get over a thousand. But it's a good time to make money :)
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

Image

Glmclain
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Glmclain » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:15 am UTC

Despite only getting a WoW account a week ago, Blizzard has been very insistent on me playing the Cataclysm beta.

Don't know if want...
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

User avatar
Menacing Spike
Posts: 2982
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:25 pm UTC
Location: Fighting the Zombie.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:26 am UTC

Glmclain wrote:Despite only getting a WoW account a week ago, Blizzard has been very insistent on me playing the Cataclysm beta.

Don't know if want...


Do you mean hundreds of "FREE CATACLYSM BETA CLICK DUBIOUS LINK CLICKY CLICKY" mails?
That's not blizzard.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Obby » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 am UTC

Glmclain wrote:Despite only getting a WoW account a week ago, Blizzard has been very insistent on me playing the Cataclysm beta.

Don't know if want...


Odds are, those aren't from Blizzard. Don't answer them, don't click on anything in them, they're probably sent from gold farmers trying to steal your account.

I just started playing again after taking 6ish months off. Grinding up to get enough gear to do ICC is taking entirely too long, as the only pieces I can get that are upgrades (without doing ToC25) are from Heroic Halls of Reflection and no one seems to like that one. I don't really care so much about the gear from ICC since Cataclysm isn't terribly far away, I just want to do the instance to see it.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Vapour
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 am UTC
Location: Forest and Hills Zone.

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Vapour » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:56 am UTC

Best way to check if you do actually have an invite is just log onto the blizzard account management, they'll be something there if you are one of the few.


Getting into ICC can be a pain at the start, with the 30% buff, and if you can get T9, crafted items and maybe (2) T10. People will usually let you in.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby ProZac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Obby wrote:I just started playing again after taking 6ish months off. Grinding up to get enough gear to do ICC is taking entirely too long, as the only pieces I can get that are upgrades (without doing ToC25) are from Heroic Halls of Reflection and no one seems to like that one. I don't really care so much about the gear from ICC since Cataclysm isn't terribly far away, I just want to do the instance to see it.

You can get better gear out of badges than out of H-HoR. In a full set of 232 gear, you shouldn't have any trouble with ICC. Even in only blue gear you should be able to clear over half the bosses.
meatyochre wrote:Most of the people I play wow with have kinda stopped until cat comes out. I am playing, but just for fun and for gold at this point (and kinda to get badges so my healers can have decent leveling sets). It's really easy to make gold now, since they cut out the moonshroud cooldown I just buy primals and dust and make cloth, and sell it at a guaranteed profit.

I'm almost up to 10k gold, which is weird because usually I can't even get over a thousand. But it's a good time to make money :)

I quit playing about a month ago, and started on some of my other backlog games. Cleared out a couple, but I'll probably move back towards WoW in a month or so. Gotta keep on the money track to be ready for Cata. Before my account expired, I drained about 3/4 of my materials and such, and bumped myself up to 70k. I plan to laugh at whatever gold sinks Cata has.

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:07 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
Obby wrote:I just started playing again after taking 6ish months off. Grinding up to get enough gear to do ICC is taking entirely too long, as the only pieces I can get that are upgrades (without doing ToC25) are from Heroic Halls of Reflection and no one seems to like that one. I don't really care so much about the gear from ICC since Cataclysm isn't terribly far away, I just want to do the instance to see it.

You can get better gear out of badges than out of H-HoR. In a full set of 232 gear, you shouldn't have any trouble with ICC. Even in only blue gear you should be able to clear over half the bosses.

Badges don't cover everything, the ICC heroics are your best source of weapons and for a lot of people, at least half of their jewelry. You can queue directly for HHoR, though expect to wait longer. You can also try my trick of extending your lockouts each day on all the heroics you don't want to do and then gonig random. It helps, but it's not as good as I'd hoped. (Got HHoR 6 days out of 11 while farming an offhand this way)

As for clearing it in blues, while possible, good luck finding a group.

If you want to see it though, just whisper everyone running a pug of it, you'll get a lot of flat out 'No's if you are undergeared, but you'll eventually find someone who will take you.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

User avatar
Obby
Posts: 785
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:37 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Obby » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:01 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
Obby wrote:I just started playing again after taking 6ish months off. Grinding up to get enough gear to do ICC is taking entirely too long, as the only pieces I can get that are upgrades (without doing ToC25) are from Heroic Halls of Reflection and no one seems to like that one. I don't really care so much about the gear from ICC since Cataclysm isn't terribly far away, I just want to do the instance to see it.

You can get better gear out of badges than out of H-HoR. In a full set of 232 gear, you shouldn't have any trouble with ICC. Even in only blue gear you should be able to clear over half the bosses.


That's probably true. I wasn't in too bad of shape before I quit. I've done Naxx and Ulduar (10 and 25) to death, plus a few full clears of ToC10, before I quit. So my gear isn't horrible. I was sitting around 4600 gearscore before I quit. From badges I've gotten that up to almost 4800, but nothing else from badges will be any kind of meaningful upgrade.

Funny thing is, I know that I can do ICC10. My DPS is good enough and I have excellent situational awareness, and have thoroughly researched the first wing. My raid times are a little sporadic, so I can only run with my guild occasionally, hence why I have to do PUG's, but of course all anyone cares about in a PUG is your gearscore and your achievements which, needless to say, won't be winning me any raid spots any time soon.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

User avatar
Lucrece
Posts: 3558
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:01 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Lucrece » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:29 pm UTC

My mage is nearing 80. My way of biding time while I wait for a cata beta. After the mage is done, I'll finish up my warlock. 80 mage, druid, shaman, DK, hunter, warlock to choose from then.

I might consider leveling a shadow priest in cataclysm to try out the new leveling storyline, and shadow orbs just look wicked.

P.S. Yeah, you might have a hard time making it into PUGs, given their inflated gearscore requirements. The requirements are inflated because they simply want to be carried. It's kinda funny how the GS requirements have jumped from 5k to 5.5k+ (basically, you need ICC gear, this bars people even from regular ToC gear-- so people wanting to make that jump on their alts find it very hard), when the ICC buff has only made things easier.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Glmclain
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 12:51 pm UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Glmclain » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:59 am UTC

Is there an XKCD guild as of now? I'd love to join if so, although my characters are still low level (just got my account last week! eep!)
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

mike-l
Posts: 2758
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:16 am UTC

Re: WoWzers!

Postby mike-l » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

Glmclain wrote:Is there an XKCD guild as of now? I'd love to join if so, although my characters are still low level (just got my account last week! eep!)


I don't believe so. It would be all druids anyway :)
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests