WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Glmclain

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Glmclain » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:46 pm UTC

Why are hunters so damn fun to play?

I can't stop. I can never stop.

Also the race to get my first mount is agonizing. Walking everywhere sucks. Hard.
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

So I joined/founded a new guild about a week ago, and we are taking Terenas by storm. 20th Guild on the Server already, full cleared ICC10 in one night while doing 6 hardmodes with a DK OT who never tanked before nor had a tank set 2 days ago. We killed Heroic BQL with only one air phase and no hero. If you want to check out the video it can be found here and our guild website here
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

FoS

Postby FoS » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Obby wrote:I think the Worgen look pretty cool, to be quite honest. The racials are pretty good, IMO. 1% bonus damage is a great passive for PvE just for being a certain race (unless the racial has changed since I last checked). I also like the Tauren and Draenei aesthetics a lot, as well, though.

YMMV I suppose. /shrug

I think it was changed to 1% crit if I recall. Last I checked though the on-use speed boost was still there and that is currently the best PvE racial out there at the moment. Getting out of fire or repositioning is key in so many fights. Having an extra speed boost is invaluable for that. Combine it with Rocket boots and unless you have really bad luck in a fight you probably have a speed boost for any targeted movement you need. A worgen druid would have 3 speed boosts (cat dash) making it even better.

Nope it's still 1% damage passive.

I've been jamming a Worgen Druid on Beta because my main is a Druid and I'm giving serious consideration to moving to Alliance come Cata.
So far, racials aside, I really like the Worgen. The starting zone is really really good but tons of phasing keeping it very entertaining the whole way through.
I'm busy leveling in the new Dark Shore and it's also a big improvement over the current version.

I've yet to try out the Goblins because I just find the thought of playing a Gobbo rather meh.

The new Talent system is really superb. The moment you hit 10 and u pick your spec it really does feel like you're a rounded version of that spec now that you have your signature ability.
Only tried Feral so far since Tree is not my area of interest. I'll jam Boom when I have enough talents for the form.
The cat and bear forms for Worgen look really good but alas, the bear still has an enormous ass.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

I play a Feral druid on Tichondrius-Alliance. Kingslayer 10/25, 10/12 25m HMs, only like 25k life time kills. I started off as Horde right before TBC shipped as a rogue, but rerolled Boomkin when the Crusade hit. Been Feral since the start of Wrath. I swapped to Alliance when my guild Hordeside self destructed and I had an invite to one of the top 100 guilds US side xD

I wish I was in the Beta, I'd love nothing more than the test out the new zones and talent trees.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:47 am UTC

Moonkin form needs an updated graphic ;(.

With that said. Flame Orb for mages is FUN. Situational, but when you pull it off it's a great spell.

I'm really undecided between my mage, hunter, druid, DK, shaman, or warlock for a main =X. Leaning mage or druid so far though. I might go feral instead of moonkin this xpac, tho.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:19 am UTC

wtb beta invite >.> I'm pretty burnt out on WoW. I log on for icc and occasional 3s.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:37 am UTC

~5 more days to go to get the exalted status for Netherwing rep, second time now (getting it for mage). It's taking forever since I'm sure as hell not killing my sight farming those damned eggs all day again. My druid may have been in a hurry, but the mage can wait.

I'm loving my mage alt. I got him to 80 just this Wednesday, so all I have is Tier 9 and wimpy icc5 wep to pvp with, but frost spec is treating me so well.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Obby

Postby Obby » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:51 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:~5 more days to go to get the exalted status for Netherwing rep, second time now (getting it for mage). It's taking forever since I'm sure as hell not killing my sight farming those damned eggs all day again. My druid may have been in a hurry, but the mage can wait.

I'm loving my mage alt. I got him to 80 just this Wednesday, so all I have is Tier 9 and wimpy icc5 wep to pvp with, but frost spec is treating me so well.

I <3 my mage. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to stick with her or my new Worgen character I'm making come Cataclysm.

Been having a lot of fun on my mage since I came back as well. Been playing with my girlfriend and my two roommates (ret pally, warrior tank and DPS DK, respectively) going through heroics, earning badges and getting gear like crazy. I was the most geared at the start so I haven't had tons of upgrades, but I'm now able to comfortably do ICC10 without feeling like I'm being carried (had the lowest GS in my run yesterday but was the highest DPS... :? ) so now it's only a matter of time before I can replace my weapon and trinket and belt...

For those curious, my mage is Kilee on Lothar (PvE).
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Vincent91

Postby Vincent91 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:05 pm UTC

Glmclain wrote:Seriously though, if one of us started an XKCD guild, would you guys join?

I'd do it.

I would too.

EU or US servers? I have accounts on both, I'd just have to cancel/activate subscriptions.
Also, Horde or Alliance?

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

Gorganoth - 80 Protadin
Aarien - 80 Druid
Bellistral - 80 Disc pvp priest -Newly dinged.

Not a hardcore raider, 2-3 nights a week. Been in my guild a year now, we've cleared all 10 man content, and currently working on ICC10hc. 6/12 Hardmodes are hard yo.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:54 pm UTC

Not playing til cata right now, but I'm really happy with the new resto druid tree in the beta. There are 36 attractive talents in resto, 10 in balance and 3 in feral. Yay for choices! And I don't think it's clear yet which 8 points to drop because it will depend on which spells end up being cast most often.

Also apparently you regen more mana while casting nourish than it costs... interesting.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:59 pm UTC

So on my mage last night I picked up the following:

Tiny Green Dragon NCP thingy from Swamp of Sorrows
Four rare patterns (two LW, two tailoring) from Felwood
542 Runecloth
3 blue weapons
2 blue armor pieces
378 Furbie headdresses for Furbie Faction
632 corrupted shards

It was a good night.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

I got my mage his Azure Netherdrake, Silver Covenant Hippogryph, and his White War Talbuk mounts.

Now he can ride around in style as I make him my main for cataclysm. Still holding out for the balance/feral druid changes in cataclysm, but it's been my experience in PvP that pures on average fare better in balancing endeavors. Only shadow priests and elemental shamans stand out as good hybrid specs, while retribution, feral, balance and to some extent enhancement have languished (yeah, enhancement is viable for arenas..... in ONE comp, where basically they have to burn down someone within 45 seconds or you lose; in cataclysm that tunneling of burst will no longer be the winning strategy).

Plus, I've found that compared to my druid, my mage has a much higher skill cap. It's definitely improved my reaction times, given how easy it is to global a mage. Destruction warlocks and elemental shamans and shadowpriests can go suffer a fiery death.

Oregonaut

Postby Oregonaut » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

I'm a Frost Magista, because I pal around with a BM (non)Hyuntard. Between my CC, their CC, pet's DPS, my permanent Water Elemental DPS, my Frostbolt crits, free fireballs, their arrow barrages, we can go absolutely fracking nuts on the DPS.
- Ochigo the Earth-Stomper

The EGE wrote:
Mumpy wrote:And to this day, librarians revile Oregonaut as the Antichrist.

False! We sacrifice our card catalogues to him in the name of Job Security!

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

I'd say Druids stand out very much so in arena, all three specs are viable, but have different skill caps for PVP.
Boomkins can be successful in Rogue/Boom, Disc/Boom, Holy/Boom, Destro/Boom, Fire/Boom,Ele/Boom and I'm sure some comps I've never heard of in 2v2, in 3's you have Owlplay (Spriest, Restoshaman, Boomkin) Boom/Disc/Rogue, Boom/Ele/Holy. In 5's most teams will have one for the pressure from Starfall, and then there is Katrina Cleave, Starshatter and then Starfall cleave.
Ferals in two's can do well in Feral/Rogue, Disc/Feral, Hunter/Feral. Pretty much any comp where a rogue works so does a Feral druid. There's even bleed cleave (Arms Warrior, Feral Druid, Holy Pally) and kitty cleave.
Resto's are the held in esteem as the best druid spec for arena, and with the stupidly OP Afflock/Resto druid 2's comp how can you argue other wise. In 3's there is the famous WLD that is played at the MLG level.

When it comes to PVP, imho Druids are actually the strongest hybrids. They have the strongest CC in the game, pallys cannot bubble out of it and it acts as a 100% MS (<3 games as Boom/Rogue where the pally falls for Sap -> Blind *loltrinket* -> Cyclone x 3 then Cyclone his partner at 3-5% health until we can get CC back on the pally, if his partner is still alive)
Come Cataclysm, Druids are getting even stronger. A baseline charge interrupt that when talented has a 10 second CD and is a Mana Burn (After the lockout occurs, any spells cast after wards have 40% increased cost) AoE silence, a strong snare, a knockdown. A shadowstep style ability tied to Ravage and Feral Pounce, along with various other sexy new spells. And a enrage dispel to piss off warriors :)
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

I'm having a lot of fun leveling my little warrior g'nome as a prot tank. She just hit 34 and is right in the sweet spot to spam Scarlet Monastery runs until she's mid-40s. I haven't touched an overworld quest since like... 18.

Random instances are the best thing to happen to WoW, from my perspective at least. They're the best way to level and learn your class/role at the same time. If not for randoms at 80, I'd be reduced to pugging with people on my server (which has a lot of inherent overhead and drama associated with it, and is very dependent on time of day) or doing random battlegrounds. And I'd rather do randoms and get PVE gear and emblems than stupid honor for stupid resilience gear which is stupid wasted when I prefer stupid pve. nyah.

So, yay for random dungeons! Now if only we had random 10 man raid queues with an acceptable loot system in place to prevent ninjas (like a reputation that must be associated with you in order to master loot), I'd be the happiest clam in the world.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

FoS

Postby FoS » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

I made a switch back to DPS till Cat arrives because there is still a fair bit of pressure being MT even though we're 9/12 hc ICC 25.
It's giving me great joy making the guys I've been tanking for for ages shit their pants on the meters.
Tonight I managed to pull Sindra and Halion off the Pally tank and then, since I'm still the Tanking Class Leader, tell him he needs to fix his aggro.

To be fair, at his Gear level nothing should be pulling mobs off him. I certainly don't have that issue when I'm tanking.

We've started putting some serious work into Putri HC now and it's not looking too bad. The funny thing is the diseases are the least of our problems. The phase changes are causing us the biggest headache at the moment. Too many guys not realising that hard DPS in the phase change is a huge portion of downing him.
I reckon we'll get him but I'm iffy on Sindra Hc.

Still, it's fun hitting the Shred button again.
"...working as intended"

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:59 am UTC

Babam wrote:I'd say Druids stand out very much so in arena, all three specs are viable, but have different skill caps for PVP.
Boomkins can be successful in Rogue/Boom, Disc/Boom, Holy/Boom, Destro/Boom, Fire/Boom,Ele/Boom and I'm sure some comps I've never heard of in 2v2, in 3's you have Owlplay (Spriest, Restoshaman, Boomkin) Boom/Disc/Rogue, Boom/Ele/Holy. In 5's most teams will have one for the pressure from Starfall, and then there is Katrina Cleave, Starshatter and then Starfall cleave.
Ferals in two's can do well in Feral/Rogue, Disc/Feral, Hunter/Feral. Pretty much any comp where a rogue works so does a Feral druid. There's even bleed cleave (Arms Warrior, Feral Druid, Holy Pally) and kitty cleave.
Resto's are the held in esteem as the best druid spec for arena, and with the stupidly OP Afflock/Resto druid 2's comp how can you argue other wise. In 3's there is the famous WLD that is played at the MLG level.

When it comes to PVP, imho Druids are actually the strongest hybrids. They have the strongest CC in the game, pallys cannot bubble out of it and it acts as a 100% MS (<3 games as Boom/Rogue where the pally falls for Sap -> Blind *loltrinket* -> Cyclone x 3 then Cyclone his partner at 3-5% health until we can get CC back on the pally, if his partner is still alive)
Come Cataclysm, Druids are getting even stronger. A baseline charge interrupt that when talented has a 10 second CD and is a Mana Burn (After the lockout occurs, any spells cast after wards have 40% increased cost) AoE silence, a strong snare, a knockdown. A shadowstep style ability tied to Ravage and Feral Pounce, along with various other sexy new spells. And a enrage dispel to piss off warriors :)

Let's pull out the rankings and check which non-resto druid comp is anywhere near top 20 to see how well it confirms your theory.

Yeah, my Wrathful druid can comp in feral and balance and get a good 2600-2800 with enough hard work.

Can it make a shot at gladiator? No fucking way.

Here's the thing about cyclone: A resto druid can use it just fine, without having to resort to the shallow feral and balance specs.

Try and see how well your feral druid deals with wizardcleaves in any 3v3/5v5 team. In fact, the 5v5 ladder has virtually almost no high ranking feral druids.

And 2v2's are a non-factor; it's a garbage ladder.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:55 am UTC

FoS wrote:I made a switch back to DPS till Cat arrives because there is still a fair bit of pressure being MT even though we're 9/12 hc ICC 25.
It's giving me great joy making the guys I've been tanking for for ages shit their pants on the meters.
Tonight I managed to pull Sindra and Halion off the Pally tank and then, since I'm still the Tanking Class Leader, tell him he needs to fix his aggro.

To be fair, at his Gear level nothing should be pulling mobs off him. I certainly don't have that issue when I'm tanking.

No real excuse on Sindra (though I suppose if you put up a full set of dots right before an air phase you would be putting out threat without the tank doing much). Halion I find a bit odd on agro, especially on phase transitions. As a tank I've dumped a ton of rage into a maul/mangle then an FF and still had him attack someone right as he became active. It might be a lag thing but it didn't really seem that way.

We've started putting some serious work into Putri HC now and it's not looking too bad. The funny thing is the diseases are the least of our problems. The phase changes are causing us the biggest headache at the moment. Too many guys not realising that hard DPS in the phase change is a huge portion of downing him.

I've said it before, but the disease on Putricide is a red herring on this fight. Even without much of a solid strategy for it, you'll find it doesn't actually kill many people at all. But people start freaking out over it, panic and then the other things (like stacking for green ooze, or killing oozes fast) falls apart and you lose. The easiest way we handle it is just: 1) Don't run into melee with it. 2) If you're melee get out of melee with it. 3) if you have a ton of stacks try to stay away from everyone else.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:05 pm UTC

One thing that defines why I will never get into arenas beyond "lose 10 games a week in 2v2/3v3/5v5, get points and do BGs in Relentless rather than Furious pieces" mentality is this: Who The Fuck Decides Those Composition Names?
For instance, above we had "Owlplay": allegedly featuring Moonkin, FaceMelter and EarthShielder as classes. The owl, fairly explanatory, but what is implied by "-play"? Can I Owlplay with a pair of roffle-waffle-pvp-protadins for instance?
Also heard 'Shadowplay' recently, sure it implies there's a warlock and facemelter in the crew, but the 3rd is either an arbitrary addition of extra caster or random healer that apparently niches.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

-play is similar to the suffix -cleave, you just tack it on to things. Owl comp sounds silly, Owlplay? Sounds about 200 times better than "We run Owl"
And really it's called owlplay because the Moonkin supports the comp by acting as the universal PVP taunt.
TSG is called TSG because the first team that played the comp well was called TSG, hence it is TSG.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:42 am UTC

Bah you can easily get to 2k in furious. Even with average teammates. I geared my mage and shaman that way.

It's actually a bit faster than raiding to get a full competitive kit. In a month you can get full wrathful and your T1 weapon. By comparison it took my moonkin ~3 months to get a full kit of heroic ICC 25 gear.

It also rarely gets monotonous. Sure ele/destro lock or shadowmourne cleaves might piss you off immensely now and then but even with lack of new maps I can never say any one fight is the same.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:32 am UTC

Apparently my account was hacked and restored, all while I was at work today. I didn't know a thing about it until I got home from work around 11pm and checked my email.

Blizz restored everything, as far as I can tell. The hacker(s) tried to transfer my 80 druid to another server, ostensibly to sell or transfer gold. The transfer had been reverted and all my items restored by the time I logged into the game. Also, there were 4 primordial saronite, 35 ametrine, and 20 cardinal ruby sitting in my bags that the hacker must have left there. Since that toon was a jewelcrafter, maybe the specialist restoring my account assumed they were mine? Anyway, I sold the ametrines raw for a cool 2500g, and cut all the rubies into runed rubies (that should net another 2k+ by morning, they haven't sold yet), plus the saronite will sell for slightly over 1600g.

I had an authenticator which I had removed from the account a few months back for convenience' sake (since I was playing from a lot of different locations and computers on the weekends, and I would forget to bring the dongle with me). I went ahead and relinked it to the account so this won't happen again. But all in all, I'd say it turned out rather better than I'd have expected. I ended up MAKING over 6k gold, and the only inconvenience I suffered was having to re-sort bag arrangements on 13 different characters and redo my keybindings (which was a pain in the patoot but not bad at all).

Oh, and all 3 sets of my paladin's gear were at zero durability. It would have cost 250g to repair it all but I opened a ticket and they sent me gold to repair her, too.

FoS

Postby FoS » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
FoS wrote:I made a switch back to DPS till Cat arrives because there is still a fair bit of pressure being MT even though we're 9/12 hc ICC 25.

No real excuse on Sindra (though I suppose if you put up a full set of dots right before an air phase you would be putting out threat without the tank doing much). Halion I find a bit odd on agro, especially on phase transitions. As a tank I've dumped a ton of rage into a maul/mangle then an FF and still had him attack someone right as he became active. It might be a lag thing but it didn't really seem that way.

I've said it before, but the disease on Putricide is a red herring on this fight. Even without much of a solid strategy for it, you'll find it doesn't actually kill many people at all. But people start freaking out over it, panic and then the other things (like stacking for green ooze, or killing oozes fast) falls apart and you lose. The easiest way we handle it is just: 1) Don't run into melee with it. 2) If you're melee get out of melee with it. 3) if you have a ton of stacks try to stay away from everyone else.

He was really just slacking no excuse at all. I think it's a combination of a person who's not a very good tank coupled with him gearing exclusively for mitigation.
I shudder to think what would have happened if I had Hysteria.

Heh, we've found the same thing on Putri. The problem we're having now is really just the transitions. People just aren't getting the DPS of the oozes right so we're getting Green exploding without enough people on it and killing guys.

We're taking a 2 day break so everyone can recharge after a pretty bad week of raiding. I had to tank on Council because 2 of our tanks were doing such a terrible job. Urg. I really should have them demoted and recruit new tanks but I don't think we have much chance of recruiting quality tanks at this stage of Wrath.
"...working as intended"

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:20 am UTC

Putri H25 is actually a pretty simple fight, my guild half pugs it every week. The hardest part is the 35% transition; if you do it right, its a kill. If you do it wrong, however...

Also, Feral is awful in 2s. Yes, you can get to 2600 in a competitive BG running Feral/Disc, and less likely but still possible running Feral/DPS, but Feral is awful in 2s. 3s, Feral can be pretty solid, but at high MMR the tactic against Ferals is to just sit on them. If you train the Feral the whole match, eventually you'll win. The only time that isn't the case is against something like Shadowclaw 3s, which is Hpal or Rsham/Spriest/Feral.

And on the topic of Feral DPS, I received double tricks during Hysteria at the start of Sourtooth H25.... I pulled 25k DPS through Berserk and promptly got one shot when my first FB went out towards the end of it.

Chen

Postby Chen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:28 am UTC

FoS wrote:Heh, we've found the same thing on Putri. The problem we're having now is really just the transitions. People just aren't getting the DPS of the oozes right so we're getting Green exploding without enough people on it and killing guys.

The only people who shouldn't be stacked on the green ooze are the ranged dps with the orange variable. Make everyone else (even melee dps with the orange variable) stand on the green one and position themselves so they are knocked towards the table. We found this helped a lot.

FoS

Postby FoS » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
FoS wrote:Heh, we've found the same thing on Putri. The problem we're having now is really just the transitions. People just aren't getting the DPS of the oozes right so we're getting Green exploding without enough people on it and killing guys.

The only people who shouldn't be stacked on the green ooze are the ranged dps with the orange variable. Make everyone else (even melee dps with the orange variable) stand on the green one and position themselves so they are knocked towards the table. We found this helped a lot.

Thanks that sounds like a good plan.
"...working as intended"

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

Huh. So I got pulled into the last 2 bosses of icc 10 (nonheroic) as a replacement for my guild's alt run last night, having never been into icc before (they laughed at me because I didn't know where the raid front door was. and then I died to a valkyrie on the way to upper spire. Well nobody warned me it was there! frogger fail).

We downed Sindragosa on the 2nd try and I did really well! I died when she was at 1% because I was focused on spam brain-healing and didn't notice the guy next to me was about to turn into an iceblock. Whoops. But easy fight, really. Raid damage was very easy to heal through, and nobody died to the magnetic pull thingy.

Lich King can die in a fire, though. We put in 6 or 7 attempts and it was going better each time, but nobody told me that the ice orbs would puff you off the edge if you got too close. That's why I died on the last good attempt we had (actually the dps said that was their fault 'cause the orbs are all supposed to be dead by the phase transition and they weren't--I still felt like a nub).

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Yeah, your ranged should be dispatching those orbs pretty quick.

Anyways, off to try Operation Gnomeran after a hiatus trying FFXIV beta. God, did Square Enix turn out some steaming pile of shit after half a decade and more of development they were afforded.

And many of my friends have gotten into the Cataclysm beta. I'm beyond bitter...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:14 am UTC

general wow stuff:
You know how Hunters should do tons of dps? And how shamans should drop totems according to the needs of a group? How would you guys feel if you joined a group where a lvl 70 hunter was doing 500dps (and wasn't using his pet), and the enhancement shaman is not only NOT dropping totems, but continually popping spirit wolves out of combat (no joke), and not using Flametongue OR Windfury? Would you, I dunno, be annoyed? Dismayed? Kicked from the group for asking them to summon their pet and use the totems required of the group? Bingo.

My shammie hit 80 last week and I'm sitting on just three or four remaining blue pieces. The final grind is actually pretty cool, although I'm tempted to try and level the priest and warlock now. Shammies are way fun though.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:25 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:general wow stuff:
You know how Hunters should do tons of dps? And how shamans should drop totems according to the needs of a group? How would you guys feel if you joined a group where a lvl 70 hunter was doing 500dps (and wasn't using his pet), and the enhancement shaman is not only NOT dropping totems, but continually popping spirit wolves out of combat (no joke), and not using Flametongue OR Windfury? Would you, I dunno, be annoyed? Dismayed? Kicked from the group for asking them to summon their pet and use the totems required of the group? Bingo.

My shammie hit 80 last week and I'm sitting on just three or four remaining blue pieces. The final grind is actually pretty cool, although I'm tempted to try and level the priest and warlock now. Shammies are way fun though.
In a random dungeon you shouldn't expect any advice to be well-received.

500 dps for a level 70 petless hunter in leveling gear is perfectly acceptable (I remember my hunter in karazhan was ecstatic to get up to 800 with a ravager, the highest dps pet at the time). You could ask nicely "where's your pet?" Maybe he wanted to tame a new one in the dungeon and had to stable his for that reason, you never know unless you ask.

If you got booted from the group, then either you were being kind of a dick about it (sounds likely, prescriptivist totem advice wouldn't be well-received by anybody), or 2-4 people in the group knew each other and you annoyed them by picking on their friend. Yes, you may be annoyed that people in your groups aren't as experienced at their class as you, but wow is casual-friendly. There is never any reason to min/max for a nonheroic dungeon. Never.

If you insist on offering advice to pugs while leveling, send a single short whisper. If they thank you for the advice or seem to welcome it, then provide more. If they reply with any form of leetspeak or tell you to stfu, stfu. You can leave the group if you don't like how others are performing. But you can't change how others perform.

Such is life with the pug tool. If you can't handle being grouped (frequently) with people who are sucktastic, you shouldn't use it.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:54 am UTC

Vote to kick. It helps if you queue as the healer, since as a healer you got the group by the balls and they don't want you leaving so they'll vote for whatever you want.

By now I'm not bothering with ICC/arena for any alts. I stopped even leveling my lock at 43, since I have leveled plenty of toons and am burnt out on the leveling content, so I;ll just wait for cata to level the lock.

Still deciding between mage and druid.

I have to disagree with the above post. Nobody has the obligation to carry inept members. They're not 20, 30, or even 50. They're 70. That's quite a few weeks of time spent leveling, so they should have a rudimentary understanding of the class.

So it is a perfect time to correct them, since in a raid they won't get corrected-- they will get yelled at over vent, kicked, and blacklisted. Bad player reputation spreads by word of mouth. They should appreciate correction when it least hurts them.

Of course, asking politely for the proper totem and explaining why you want it reduces any tension that might arise. More often than not they will comply. If they don't, make them carry you as well. Alt tab, afk away, chat while doing no DPS. Give em a taste of their own lack of cooperation.

Also, if you believe they might kick you, just log out before they do so. If they kick you while logged out, you get no debuff and can instantly queue back as soon as you log on.
Last edited by Lucrece on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:55 am UTC

In other news, the battle for Darkspear was kinda fun, if a little... uh, overdone.

I liked having two water shields as a shaman XD

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:01 am UTC

I did both sides. The troll version was nice in introducing the troll druids and had cool effects and things like battle as a feral spirit (tiger spirit my ass, since when do tigers look like panthers).

But the gnome version, OH MY FUCKING GOD. It was HILARIOUS. The dialogue, and the voice acting was just top notch. Especially toward the end.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:47 am UTC

Haven't got any high end alliance, so can't comment on the Gnome.

The troll event was alright, worth the journey from Org, bit predictable though. I did enjoy throwing frogs though, and the introduction of the troll druid was pretty cool.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

Usually when I get into a fail group, I leave and find something else to do for 30 minutes. It's not worth the trouble of dealing with people. I remember leveling my warrior tank, I was doing about ~800 dps at 70-73, and would regularly be one of the top 2 on recount. One time, I did get a 72 warlock with me in Nexus. Did 1700-2000 dps each pull, when most can't manage half that. That was a grand ol' run.

I saw the new events were available as well. I might have to reactivate my account so I can check them out before Cata.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:56 pm UTC

Arcane Mages and Destruction warlocks start out rather well. So do Elemental shamans at 70ish. But there are classes like shadow priest, affliction, balance druid that don't do so well due to the more ramped up nature of their DPS and how the mobs die faster in these dungeons.

I do pity the person doing BC dungeons in Dungeonfinder. That's downright suicidal and groups rarely last an entire run. I enjoyed BC 5mans like Shadow Labs, they were actually challenging and the bosses had flavor. But you can't PuG things like that, as the game has an incredible amount of deficient players that are not worth the headache.

As I said. If you dislike the group, alt tab and close the game. You'll be disconnected, they'll vote you out, but that won't give you a 30 min debuff.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:16 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Vote to kick. It helps if you queue as the healer, since as a healer you got the group by the balls and they don't want you leaving so they'll vote for whatever you want.

I was healer. Which makes getting kicked all the more head scratchy. Asking the shaman to drop totems started when I was forced to drink every 2-3 mobs (tank and myself both being low level for the dungeon), and asked the shammie if while we were waiting the third or fourth time, if he could drop Mana Stream to expedite the process. I think my exact words were "Hey man, mana stream please?" No response, but he did pop Spirit Wolves.

My main is a shammie, and I leveled enhance and switched to ele at 75. I dual specced into resto at about 65. When shamans in groups refuse to drop totems, it annoys me. When their excuse is 'don't want to waste mana' and are A) sitting on full mana bars while a couple people drink, and B) have lightening shield up, and C) ARE ENHANCEMENT SHAMMIES, I get annoyed.

meatyochre wrote:but wow is casual-friendly

There's a world of difference between being accepting of a lower geared individual, and an absolute idiot player. When a DK queues as tank and has nothing but +attack or +crit gear, isn't using DnD, and can't hold aggro, me giving them some friendly pointers is not me being an anal retentive rager.
meatyochre wrote:If you can't handle being grouped (frequently) with people who are sucktastic, you shouldn't use it.

But yeah, good point. I try to let it not bug me, but I'm currently playing WoW for the ability to hop on, queue up, and raid for 30minutes and then just be done with it. I don't mind pairing with people who are towards the middle of the skill spectrum, its when I get paired with people who are heading towards the negative end of skill, I get annoyed. I don't care if you don't do your job well, but for fucks sake, do your job.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:37 am UTC

If you were voted out, then most likely at least 2 of them knew each other. It'll happen.

Just gotta make sure not to let Dungeonfinder ruin your day. It's really a double edged sword. It makes leveling so easy and gearing up for raids as well. At the same time, some of the foulest people that've made my perspective on the community waver have come from it. WoW has a pretty shit community to begin with (WAR, FFXI were my best community experiences, just perfect communities in deficient games), but I swear, some times I wish I had some people's personal information. There have been some that I'd have no problem blowing a plane ticket, hotel rates, and a court order on just to fucking deck them, hard.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:15 am UTC

I agree, I just have to find a good guild with enough people that I can grab a decent tank and go whenever, and not be bothered by the rest of the community.

But,
Lucrece wrote:WAR, FFXI were my best community experiences, just perfect communities in deficient games

Eegad are you serious? I quit WAR because of the community. In a game designed around multiplayer PvP, I can't begin to recount the number of groups I joined where melee healers (DoKs and WPs) were doing damage and self-healing while letting tanks slowly die, or the number of tanks not guarding, or the number of Chosen not using Auras, etc, etc, etc...

Oh... epiphany... most people who play online games are fucking idiots... :(

Return to “Gaming”