WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:10 am UTC

Ah. Forgot about those.
Omni.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

Wow, Blizzard just lost me for good.

I opened another ticket and said 'look, I get this is not really something you can help me with as you don't have logs from 6 months ago, but I really don't want to have to grind gold on my druid just to get the heirlooms I already bought to play my monk'

So I get a very fast response with a very nice GM. We have a good chat, he says he can restore 2 items he can confirm I had. I thank him, fill out a very positive survey.

Log back on 30 minutes later to check what I got back. He sent me a head and shoulder enchant (oh yeah, did I mention the helm enchants are now grey?)
Fuck You Blizz.jpg
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 am UTC

What did you expect? Cannot verify your previous purchases. Sells for thirty-five gold. Provides seed money for your monk (or actual heirlooms). Better than nothing, correct?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:47 am UTC

You say "I get that you can't really help me" but your actions make it seem like you expect them to just give you the stuff anyway, so maybe you don't get it at all.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:55 am UTC

If the answer was "we can't do anything" that would be fine. What they did was say "sure we'll give you back 2 items" "haha here's two wrthless items. See we technically didn't lie. Look how much we value you"

I'm not upset about not getting my items back, I'm upset that they taunted me about it
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:06 am UTC

I love Guild Wars 2, but THEY don't even have item and character rollbacks restoration services yet.

Customer service in the gaming industry tends to be pretty piss poor.

When I played ME3 multiplayer and their shop disconnected me mid-pack purchase, and it robbed me of credits, I was actually shocked when EA support's lady didn't only restore my credits -- she gave me extra credits for one more pack. That's more an exception than the rule.

I don't blame you for being pissed at the shitty support. I don't have too bad an experience with WoW because I always avoided the long queue lines by just calling their Spanish language lines -- the guys on the Spanish line curiously seemed way more prepared and interested in helping than the US branch.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:10 am UTC

Shrugs. Sees it as kindness. Could not grant your request. Wanted you to have something. Gave you those.

Were they permitted to do that? Look closely. Sent you a tank enchantment and a healing enchantment (from Wrath of the Lich King). Lacked gear records. Restored nothing. Created.

Changes its form depending on the observer, however. Cannot call either interpretation incorrect.

Edit addition on customer support: Designed a (partially) self-service item restoration system. Will not fix this, unfortunately.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:29 am UTC

Again, not being able to restore my items would have been a perfectly fine response.

But I had a conversation with a GM, asking specifically for helm and cloak BoAs, and he told me he could restore 2 of them. That's my issue. If they can't restore them, that's fine. Don't tell me you can, then tell me you will, then tell me I'm a valued customer, then have me fill out a survey, and then send me greys.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

Out of curiosity, how much do the helm and cloak heirlooms cost?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

Two thousand seven hundred gold total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

Ah, nope, not a replacement.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 am UTC

Lucrece wrote:I love Guild Wars 2, but THEY don't even have item and character rollbacks restoration services yet.

Customer service in the gaming industry tends to be pretty piss poor.

When I played ME3 multiplayer and their shop disconnected me mid-pack purchase, and it robbed me of credits, I was actually shocked when EA support's lady didn't only restore my credits -- she gave me extra credits for one more pack. That's more an exception than the rule.

I don't blame you for being pissed at the shitty support. I don't have too bad an experience with WoW because I always avoided the long queue lines by just calling their Spanish language lines -- the guys on the Spanish line curiously seemed way more prepared and interested in helping than the US branch.

LOTRO has very good service. I was hacked and *thought* (wasn't even sure) my character (who was a piddling thing at half level cap numerically) had had stuff sold. I still had gear, though. But I said "Eh, I'm too lazy to check. Can you?" And apparently I was, so I got 20 gold (a *lot* of money - think about Vanilla... it would be around 1000 in vanilla gold, at that point in time) and a bunch of skirmish marks (think JP)
Omni.

Melic

Postby Melic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

I'm not sure how far back this will work, but WoW now has a new item restoration service. You log into battle.net and go to item restroation and it pulls up a list of things you have vendored you click the items you want back and they are C.O.Ded to you in the mail. I'm not sure how this works with DEing or just deleting but my main (the only one i care about really) cant DE and I always vendor if I can. There is a cool down on this service I dont remember how long but its something liek you can only do this once every 3 months. However you dont have to deal with a mod every time now which helps alot.
They call me Mr. Piman

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:08 pm UTC

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Maybe not that exact thing, but others like it are what I missed in the new expansions. When people have a lull in things to do they will make new and interesting replacements to fill the gap. Plus all the random chance encounters.

My server had a roleplaying warlock that was racist against Gnomes, only walked everywhere, and he had semi-frequent gnome sacrifices in Booty Bay. At one point a guild sprang up to guard him wherever he traveled. It was well known server lore for like 3 years.

I can't seem to find it now but on one server there was a gnome who sat at Theramore bridge charging gold to cross it as it was his "Troll Bridge". He had a lvl 60 troll rogue in his employ that would ambush and instakill anyone that didn't pay. This was also in vanilla at a time where mounts were much more expensive, relatively, and most level 60s walked and all lower levels had to because you couldn't buy a mount until 60.

edit: I just re-read that. They do it for the lulls. I'll see myself out.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:13 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:Maybe not that exact thing, but others like it are what I missed in the new expansions.

What I miss is characters being actually "famous". Now with the large numbers, the cross-server stuff, the automation, the server finder shit, flying mounts... people are just faceless mobs. Social interaction is bounded by bubbles.

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

Lostdreams wrote:This was also in vanilla at a time where mounts were much more expensive, relatively, and most level 60s walked and all lower levels had to because you couldn't buy a mount until 60.

That's not true. You could still get regular ground mounts at 40. They were expensive, so it was pretty common for non-warlock, non-paladins to not be able to afford one at 40, but everyone had them long before they hit 60. (The class mounts were considered a pretty big perk at the time. I played a warlock in vanilla, and my being able to get my mount by just hopping on the boat to Rachet and having a brief chat with an npc was a source of quite a bit of envy among the people I knew.)

Now, epic mounts were another story. Those you couldn't get until 60, and they were hideously expensive for the time. I know I didn't get one for any of my characters until BC.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:15 am UTC

I think I had the 60 epic mount a few months after hitting 60. Advantages being having Ironforge-honoured and Corporal rank for the two 10% discounts so I just had to save to 800g. Probably made about 400 of that selling lucky BoE epics; farm location was the Tyr's Hand spot in EPL, high cash-dropping Scarlet Crusaders, elites as close to soloable as 60 as you'd get.

But back then the fun was that the riding skill was first purchased, differentiated by mount type, and was relatively cheap. The skill wasn't banded, the mounts were the gold-sink. I think I remember pulling a trick during one progression with the Alterac Valley mount. It started off expensive, 1000 probably, then dropped down low with all the other epic land mounts when the riding skill became the dominant purchase, for a brief time before the currency became the battle tokens that required ludicrous farming. So walked away with that ram for like 10g.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:13 pm UTC

Necro:
Just resubbed to MoP and mucked around a very little bit with my Priest and Shammie. The game doesn't feel any different, and after a two year break, I find that extremely disappointing.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Necro:
Just resubbed to MoP and mucked around a very little bit with my Priest and Shammie. The game doesn't feel any different, and after a two year break, I find that extremely disappointing.

I tried the free trial week with my sister.

It was not bad - however, seems like the amount of dailies and farming increased exponentially, and the landscape is nowhere as awe-inspiring as Burning Crusade's. I like what they did with the demonology warlock but hated how everything else got vastly dumber. A simple neural network could easily master a dps rotation for most classes.

What I did enjoy was touring the isle with my sister (paladin) and taking on rares. We had to explore on foot (and killrog glyph bullshit), but the exploration was rewarding, the monsters rather difficult (especially those in that middle valley thing, oh god!), and then we used our insanely overgeared stuff (for 85) we dropped from rares to go back to older content. This is however definitely not worth the price and sub.

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

What feels the same? The classes? The content? Imbalances? The gearing system? Warsong Gulch battles?

Noticed a utility change for shamans. Switched totems to cooldowns. Heals everything more (even as Elemental). Decreased Lightning Bolt spam with Ascendance (level eighty-seven ability) and Elemental Blast (level ninety talent). Cannot comment on Enhancement or Restoration.

Recommends completing Jade Forest. Considered that the best questing zone. Veers towards Cataclysm habits later.

(Cataclysm habits: Collect X items, defeat Y monsters, and use something Z times. Fight a leader. Report to Person A. Repeat.)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Yeah this is very preliminary still, so I'm totally expecting that there are actually quite significant changes I'm just not seeing yet.

I disliked totems being placed on long term cooldowns, because I felt that was a neat aspect of Shammies; that they're basically splitting some of their buffing/debuffing out to totems. I haven't really experimented with it much though. I dislike that each class only has one split talent tree as opposed to one split tree per spec, as my preliminary perusal of Priests and Shammies shows a bunch of non-essential choices that get made at some levels.

As for 'feels the same', it feels like the same engine I started on years ago, which is just kind of dated at this point. That my abilities cancel if I'm not facing the right way feels very old fashioned. That they haven't implemented a reasonable way of tracking buffs/debuffs aside from add ons is sort of silly at this point.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:18 pm UTC

... why did my hacker leave my helm on?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/l ... ker/simple

And he didn't even touch the others characters...

Also I have a free 30 days subscription now, any idea what to do with a lvl 85 character?

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

Offers most content at level ninety. Recalls four Mists of Pandaria dungeons before then. Liked Jade Forest's quests, as mentioned before. Cannot comment on battlegrounds.

Could try pet battles. Reduced its experience gains (for your character) recently, unfortunately. Never presented a challenge until maximum level pets. Meant leveling new pets. (Tip: Encountered mostly critter and beast pets, with some aquatic. Counters them with beast, mechanical, and flying, respectively.) Lacked Pokemon’s charm.

Edit: Consider visiting the gear vendor in Halfhill (in Valley of the Four Winds). Sells green quality items.
Edit 2: Exists in other places too, apparently. Check Pearlfin Village (Alliance) and Dawn's Blossom in Jade Forest, or at Pang's Stead in Valley of the Four Winds.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Counters them with beast, mechanical, and flying, respectively.

Haha, check the pet section on the link.

Sizik

Postby Sizik » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:38 pm UTC

Thinking of getting back into WoW. Stopped playing in March 2010, so I basically missed out on Cata and Mists. Good thing they're basically free now, so I can just re-subscribe and wait a bit before diving into the new expansion. For now though, I'll stick with starter edition, seeing as I'd only gotten one (non-DK) character past level 18 or so, and I have three new races and quite a few restructured zones to explore.
gmalivuk wrote:
King Author wrote:If space (rather, distance) is an illusion, it'd be possible for one meta-me to experience both body's sensory inputs.
Yes. And if wishes were horses, wishing wells would fill up very quickly with drowned horses.

Yablo

Postby Yablo » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

If you get back into WoW, and you haven't been through Cata or Mists, I would recommend playing at least one character to 90 before WoD. The new expansion will give you a free boost to 90, but you don't have to use it right away.
If you like Call of Cthulhu and modern government conspiracy, check out my Delta Green thread.
Please feel free to ask questions or leave comments.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:06 am UTC

I got a surprise today. Came home to a box on my steps from Blizzard, with a pretty cool statuette of an orc on riding a wolf, made out of some sort of metal. I didn't buy it, looks like it's a 'thank you' for subscribing for 10 years (I don't even want to think about how much money that was).

The irony is that my subscription runs out in a month or so and I don't plan on re-upping. Cross realm pick-up raids ruined my 10-man raiding family guild, which was the only real reason I had logged in for the last year or so. I played Pandaria for a bit and just lost interest. Early on I could play for the sake of the game, but now I really need some sort of social structure to keep me in, and the drop in/drop out nature of raiding now is the exact opposite.

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:33 pm UTC

Received one also, despite unsubscribing just prior to Warlords of Draenor. Left due to class mechanics, weak maximum level solo content, and number tuning (more specifically, damage distribution between spells). Played Beta for an hour (of not crashing). Needed to impress. Failed spectacularly. Would not solve everything this expansion.

Expected something smaller and plastic. Measures about twenty centimeters tall (from base to axe) and fifteen long (from claw to tail). Weighs a few pounds.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:12 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote: Cross realm pick-up raids ruined my 10-man raiding family guild,
out of curiosity, how does that ruin it?

it was one of my favorite things about Rift and GW2.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:17 pm UTC

We had barely enough people to fill out a 10 man raid, twice a week. Despite that, we finished up through the lich king a few weeks before the next expansion.

Then 'easier' raiding was introduced, and we started getting 'oh, sorry, I've already raided that this week, give my spot to someone else' from 3-5 people every week, and subsequently had a few people stop logging in or start over on other servers. I'm sure I'm not the only one who, while enjoying raiding, doesn't so much enjoy it when done with an ever changing roster of strangers. There's no getting together on ventrilo, teasing, running gags, learning about people, etc. There's not even much sense of accomplishment after downing a fight you've been stuck on for a few days, because hey, random strangers can do this.

We weren't a raiding guild, but described ourself as a family guild that raids. However, it was that group effort to beat raids that brought most people back week after week (much like happens in the Therian Saga xkcd guild, by itself, that game isn't enough to keep me coming back for solo content, but with some goal that's bigger than just me, I can feel useful when I get on and help).

That's an important part of any game that wants long term commitment from people. You want things that can be done only by groups of people working together. Solo content only will only last as long as that solo content is interesting, which given human nature isn't all that long.

*edit*

I got curious and googled for the statuette on ebay, and there's one unopened with a $205 bid, another with $300... I could have made back a year or so of my subscription...

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:38 pm UTC

Ah, yeah. Lockouts are the dumbest thing. In Rift I definitely didnt raid with my guild.

Limit currency handouts. Feh!

Ginger

Postby Ginger » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:42 pm UTC

Okay I would like to say that my server is Wyrmrest Accord and I've made some characters on Horde side (troll priestess, blood elf warlock, blood elf demon huntress) and two characters on Alliance side (night elf druidess and human paladin). I'd like to play with people that enjoy both role-playing and leveling since I haven't leveled my characters that far yet. My time zone is Pacific and I get on at early morning and sometimes afternoon however can change my times to match another if needed. Not registered in any guilds yet so am open to joining them as well--except my demon huntress who is currently in one of those. My favorite role is healer though I can do damage. Don't choose to tank commonly however am open to trying new things. Thank you for reading and hope to see you online! :D

She/Her/Hers.

Return to “Gaming”