WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

UtopiaNH

Re: WoWzers!

Postby UtopiaNH » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

I can't wait til resilience lowers the effect of mana draining effects!

God I hate Mana Burn so much right now.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:56 am UTC

i can't. there goes my 3's strat, right out the window. :(

in other news, we ran za and i gott

http://thottbot.com/i33432

http://thottbot.com/i33211 (lol, leather. there weren't any rogues in the raid, so simmer down :P)

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

Last night was the night of "I'm gonna piss pie off with painful quests". I go to do this one quest somewhere along the "The Trapped Princess" chain where I have to kill some 42 mob that walks around Arathi. So I find him, kill him, and I get fucking loot glitched. Before I even have time to logoff and log back in, his body disappears. So I go to find him again, kill his guards, start getting him, and his guards fucking respawn right next to him, and I die. I res, go after him yet again, this time I kill the guards, start attacking him, get aggro'd by a raptor, blind the raptor, when suddenly this asshole 33 horde mage starts attacking me. Normally, I could have taken them (level 42 rogue), but as it stands I have a boss and a regular mob with aggro on me, I got killed. I finally go after him yet again, and kill him. I go to finish off that quest and fight some other 42 boss mob (which spawns at end), which dies easier than the 39 regular mob which aggro'd me while I fought the boss. That was painful quest 1.

I follow this chain a bit further and it sends me off to the badlands. I go see the guy out there, and he tells me that I need to get some drop from the elementals behind him. The 42-43 level ones that are almost always in a fucking group. Took me at least a half hour, a half dozen vanishes, and a lot of food/bandages/pots to get all 3 pieces for the quest. Needless to say, I hated it very much.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 am UTC

just wait till you have to kill the 50 elite at the end of that quest.
uhhhh fuck.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:59 am UTC

Dude, 3v3 tourney. I've so got to get in on this.

In other news, fun ZF runs...
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:59 am UTC

Ahhhhh Zul'Farrak, what an awesome instance. Got fond memories of that place. The pyramid battle has to rank as one of the most ingenious and well thought-out NPC encounters in the game.

I even went back there one night at level 60 and solo'd the place, mainly out of a pipe-dream desire to obtain the level 50 uber-rare instance-specific epic 2-handed sword (the one you have to combine the two rare one-handers which drop from troll bosses). Surprisingly, I had a Sul'thraze the Lasher within two runs :mrgreen:

I recently went back on to my level 70 hunter on WoW after taking a few weeks (maybe 2 months) out to play other stuff, like Orange Box, Unreal Tournament and Rome Total War. I quickly remembered why I hadn't got as much out of the game as I did back in the day. Lack of time and lack of raid instance progression meant the only stuff available to me was Battlegrounds interspliced with a few daily quests.

I must admit, patch 2.3 really made BG's and PvP a more viable choice for gear progression, though it has devalued the Season 1 gear slightly. Originally, seeing a BG player with some pieces of Gladiator's gear was a rare sight, but now that 'epic' set has become the norm, and unless you have at least 5 epic resilience gear, preferably season 2/3 parts, you're toast.

Although, part of me thinks resilience doesn't make much difference. Sure it reduces critical damage on you, but all the classes you face have equivalent gear standard, which come loaded with crit rating. Similarly, reduction to DoT damage is countered by the heavy +spell dmg stat.

I am looking forward to patch 2.4 and the 'instant honour' upgrade, rather than having to wait until 2am to get your points updated.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:40 am UTC

I took up my level 52 ginger human rogue after a year or so off. I also have a 62 mage, but lost interest soon after buying the Burning Crusade.
I started out by selling everything I owned, so I could start afresh. I ended up making 200 gold out of my herbs alone. Also, a sexyfriend™ of mine who hasn't played for a year (and is rubbish) joined me, to find our guild all but disbanded. We grinded a bit in that largest of dinosaur-laden craters and [Shadowblade] dropped. She got it, damn her, and she hasn't been back on since. I have to get into her account and post that thing to me. It's the first ever epic drop that's dropped off a regular mob. In fact, I haven't played in so long, the last raid I did was Blackwing Lair, which is coming on to be about 2 years ago now.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:49 pm UTC

I've only visited Blackwing Lair (BWL) once, and it was a short but memorable experience. 70 raiding guild (which has since jumped server) I was in, 20 or so players at level 70 in pre-Karazhan level gear, none to limited experience of BWL bosses excluding reading WoWWiki. We had quite a convincing wipe on Razorgore The Untamed [the opening encounter which is a gruelling boss fight], then gave up and moved to Zul'Gurub for the night.

World epic drops are interesting really. What you find is almost never what you want, but what someone would pay 200 gold for. What you find that you need will always be won by the other player you're farming with. What you spending 2 hours a day consistently grinding a week for, will end up dropping a week later when you randomly go somewhere 'for the crack' or dropping from an enemy you only kill in self-defense, by which point you have something better as a replacement and no longer need it.
I don't think I would have had my epic land mount at level 60 when it was the full 1000 gold cost (before discounts) for at least another 6 months had I not got 400 golds worth of epic drops in Eastern Plaguelands.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Ahhhhh Zul'Farrak, what an awesome instance. Got fond memories of that place. The pyramid battle has to rank as one of the most ingenious and well thought-out NPC encounters in the game.

I even went back there one night at level 60 and solo'd the place, mainly out of a pipe-dream desire to obtain the level 50 uber-rare instance-specific epic 2-handed sword (the one you have to combine the two rare one-handers which drop from troll bosses). Surprisingly, I had a Sul'thraze the Lasher within two runs :mrgreen:

We had our 70 warlock friend run us through. Took out the first round of the pyramid battle in 30 seconds.

One of the reasons we went there was specifically for my friend to get that 2-handed sword for his warrior, but we got none of the one-hander parts. It was quite sad. Though I did pick myself up some nice boots. I lost 1 agi to them, but I gained 5 stam, which is good enough for me.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

never had a world drop befor prolly never will.. i have shitty luck lol
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:54 pm UTC

El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:never had a world drop befor prolly never will.. i have shitty luck lol

I think the chances are 1-in-a-million.

Okay, not that great. For me, I've probably killed ~10,000 mobs in my life, which means my success rate, excluding bosses, is 1/10,000. But maybe I was lucky. I was level 36 first time around before a single world bluey dropped for me. (incidentally, it was a [Midnight Mace], as I recall) from the Badlands. I can't believe I just remembered that. It was early 2005 for chrissakes. I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:00 pm UTC

I regularly, grind taneris (spell check) for mageweave and EPL and WPL for thorium. Never had one :(

Only 1 blue drop in my whole life :(
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:22 pm UTC

El Senor Fruit Swing wrote:I regularly, grind taneris (spell check) for mageweave and EPL and WPL for thorium. Never had one :(

Tanaris.

I'm currently doing all my leveling there. Hopefully we can do another ZF run soon. The XP and loot were pretty good. I've only got two levels to go before my friend will take me through some stealth runs to get me some nice gear.

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

I get random BOE blue drops all the time. It's kind of exciting, although they're usually worth less than 100 gold.

Anyways, even after powerlevelling tailoring to 375 and making my Frozen Shadoweave set, I finally hit 4k gold last night. I'm close to exalted with Sha'tari Skyguard too! I'm really excited for my epic flying mount. :)
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

I really need to work on my skills. I've got 130 in engineering, and about 115 in mining. Anybody have any suggestions on where to go work on these?

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 pm UTC

A character named Highlander on the EU forums posted a huge stack of profession guides for 1-300 a long time ago, but they're still relevant and highly praised. Here's the posts for mining and engineering
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 1&sid=1#18
http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.htm ... 1&sid=1#10

Just look up ones that will increase your engineering level, then gather the materials via mining, or level up using the appropriate regions if the resources are as yet inaccessible.

As a hunch, 115 mining skill roughly correlates to player level 23, so running round a zone for 20-30 bracket might have high yield of good-experience ore.

On my level 70 hunter, I have 375/375 in First Aid, Cooking and Skinning. Leatherworking is at a respectable 345, and I think I'm at the point now where it's a case of 3hrs or 50g per point of skill level. Fishing is only just above 225 (Artisan skill level), and I can never be bothered to sit down by a shoreline and just fish.

sunami

Postby sunami » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I think I'm suffereing withdrawls. Haven't played in over a week (long story), and my guild just got their first Archimonde kill. This after having not missed a 'first kill' since I joined in August :cry: .
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

I've got a maddening crave to get back into WoW but I don't have the money nor do I want to get addicted again.

I've been WoW sober for 6 months.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Does anyone here listen to the WoW Insider Show/Weekend Report/other WC Radio podcasts?

I may have asked this before, sorry if my memory is faulty. :P

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

I probably listen to 1-2 shows a week on WoWRadio. I tend to listen live; cba with the faff of downloading podcasts, adding them to an mp3 player, then deleting them later. As most shows are geared to Californian-6pm listeners, it's really only the weekend ones I catch, if I remember to. They're pretty damn awesome, especially the associated IRC chatter that goes along with a live show.

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:13 am UTC

i actually am listening to it right now.

i feel SO nerdy, i'm playing wow while listening to a podcast about wow, and during my current flight looking at starcraft strats and posting on xkcd.
uhhhh fuck.

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Every week I think - "Right, I'm going to listen to it live and be on the irc channel etc." but I'm always doing something else. One day, I'm sure. ^^;;

I love nerding out quietly to myself on the bus to and from school though. xD

Dongorath

Postby Dongorath » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

I already posted here to tell that I play a dwarf warrior on Drek'Thar (Fr), this is just an update to tell that I'm happy that we finally got to Vashj ! The gate is open ! Well, we haven't tried for now, but surely this week we'll begin to get our butt kicked by Vashj ! (We'll try KT only when we have downed Vashj or at least have a strong experience being killed by her... er... I mean dealing with her :mrgreen: )

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

WTF Blizzard...

Okay, so I'm doing some stupid quest called Morrowgrain Research, and the quest item you have to use is a 10 minute cooldown. What the fuck Blizzard? Why the fuck would you do that? Why must you hurt me so?

Anyway, next order of business. Anybody else want to start a petition to have a quest that lets you turn the various power crystals from Un'Goro into power ranger outfits? I mean really, that's what I thought when I first got them.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

I just downloaded the free trial, I am fairly sure that I won't get addicted, as I have played on a friends account for a bit, and then I played LotRO for a while (though I got sick of it). I have a level 10 Human Warrior, and I'll post what server I'm on after I'm done this damn assignment.

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:21 am UTC

pieaholicx wrote:WTF Blizzard...

Okay, so I'm doing some stupid quest called Morrowgrain Research, and the quest item you have to use is a 10 minute cooldown. What the fuck Blizzard? Why the fuck would you do that? Why must you hurt me so?

Anyway, next order of business. Anybody else want to start a petition to have a quest that lets you turn the various power crystals from Un'Goro into power ranger outfits? I mean really, that's what I thought when I first got them.

The Morrowgrain quest is a significant waste of time and investment unless you're a very patient herbalist in dire need of Darnassus rep and an aversion to Runecloth farming. Feel free to buy 1 hand-in's worth from the auction house for initial gold/quest rewards, but if you want to do it long-term for Night Elf rep, go farm runecloth (though probably at a later date).

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:13 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:The Morrowgrain quest is a significant waste of time and investment unless you're a very patient herbalist in dire need of Darnassus rep and an aversion to Runecloth farming. Feel free to buy 1 hand-in's worth from the auction house for initial gold/quest rewards, but if you want to do it long-term for Night Elf rep, go farm runecloth (though probably at a later date).

Truth. I wish I'd kept track of how much runecloth I bought on my main to get exaulted with all the alliance factions. Even after doing all the lowbie quests.

In other news, I got the last piece of gear I needed out of Kara last week, and our group is transitioning to ZA. Downside - despite almost progressing beyond it, only *one* enchant has dropped *once* in the entire time. And there are 3 enchanters. I have now resigned myself to never having the mongoose recipie :(
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

EU-Bronzebeard. Felstaff. Human Rogue, 54ish? I may be 55 now. Also 63 Mage on EU-Stormrage. My guild in that one's just finished off Mount Hyjal. Sometimes I wish I had the motivation ding-up to start raiding with them again. Although none of the raiders appear to be employed, as they begin raids ridiculously early and end them ridiculously late. It's like 37 hours-per-week unpaid work.

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:08 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:
pieaholicx wrote:WTF Blizzard...

The Morrowgrain quest is a significant waste of time and investment unless you're a very patient herbalist in dire need of Darnassus rep and an aversion to Runecloth farming. Feel free to buy 1 hand-in's worth from the auction house for initial gold/quest rewards, but if you want to do it long-term for Night Elf rep, go farm runecloth (though probably at a later date).

That's true, however I went along with it all simply because I was grinding through Un'Goro anyway so picking up soil samples wasn't much bother. By the end of Un'Goro I had more than enough Morrowgrain for the quest and several rep hand-ins. And lots of herbs, some of which were useful to me, the rest I auctioned. For some reason, getting herbs from any source other that picking them always makes me happy. Example - bog lords in Zangarmarsh. I followed several people round and round the Dead Mire and that other spore place simply farming Unidentified Plant Parts, Zangar Caps and Motes of Life (so now I have lots of rep, lots of food and lots of money!). Or maybe that's just because I find the idea of 'skinning' something using Herbalism vaguely amusing.

Censored

Postby Censored » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:58 am UTC

Ascendancy (70 prot warrior) on the Antonidas server.

My gear is pretty terrible. Most of it is from Karazhan/Gruul's, lol.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

Triss Hawkeye wrote:That's true, however I went along with it all simply because I was grinding through Un'Goro anyway so picking up soil samples wasn't much bother. By the end of Un'Goro I had more than enough Morrowgrain for the quest and several rep hand-ins. And lots of herbs, some of which were useful to me, the rest I auctioned.

Assuming you want to quest in Un'Goro, sure. I was not a fan of it (damn devilsaurs) so once the leveling buff went through, my hunter blew right through the appropriate levels without ever touching the crater.

Now that the hunter is 68 though, I have to figure out what kind of alchemy specialization to go with. Flasks/elixirs would be the most useful, although transmutes would be the most lucrative :?
9 x 6 = 42

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:15 am UTC

transmutes then.

make money, buy the extra pots.
uhhhh fuck.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:27 pm UTC

That is a damn good point.

Now, if only my alchemist would discover the last (and only real useful, given rogue/hunter) flask recipie - relentless assault.
9 x 6 = 42

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:27 am UTC

why DID flask of the titans get nerfed so hard?

ah well, next patch there will be some cool alch trinkets, I hear.

speaking of next patch, HOWZABOUT THAT RIDICULOUS NEW FLAMETONGUE WEAPON BUFF ON SHAMMIES?!
uhhhh fuck.

Sinta

Postby Sinta » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:04 am UTC

EU-Turalyon. Sinfeast lvl 60 Fire mage. On hiatus at the moment. I find I'm more inclined to play WoW during the winter / Christmas months, when my brother comes over from Switzerland with his laptop and we quest together.
"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." -- Albert Einstein

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:15 am UTC

Midnight wrote:speaking of next patch, HOWZABOUT THAT RIDICULOUS NEW FLAMETONGUE WEAPON BUFF ON SHAMMIES?!

Shamans get Flame-Mortal-Strike-Tongue, just like Hunters get Aimed-Mortal-Strike-Shot.

Take 1 ability that the class doesn't use so much in end-game PvE.
Aimed Shot messes up hunter shot rotations and isn't as mana-efficient/damage-effective as auto/steady/arcane shot spamming. In PvE, line-of-sight and moving-out-of-range issues can easily ruin a hunter's chance of a good shot on the enemy with the 3 second cast-time.
Flametongue as a melee weapon enchant isn't as damage-effective as Windfury in PvE (unless maybe in Elemental-shamans, but they don't melee that much), and Frostbrand might have more PvP benefit than Flametongue.

Add "50% reduced healing element", i.e. Mortal Strike, and the two attacks become must-have PvP abilities and revitalises what both PvE and PvP players would ignore for something better in their sphere of play.

I kinda like that shaman buff, gives me a reason to keep power-levelling my Dranny-Shammy (27 now).

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:56 pm UTC

Woo, my hunter got to 70! Had a set of felstalker armor and a valanos bow waiting for her. Now 2200g to go for epic flying training >.<
9 x 6 = 42

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

hit 70 on my be rogue. bought the gladiator's sword offhand and immediately put mongoose on it. now i have to farm EOTS this weekend for honor so i can get my mh. (i have mats for mongoose for that sitting in the bank as well :D)

edit - 10k more honor until mainhand and then i get to run black morass a thousand billion times to get hourglass of the undroppable

sunami

Postby sunami » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:18 am UTC

aaron wrote:and then i get to run black morass a thousand billion times to get hourglass of the undroppable

My Rogue ALT. First run. I won it.

Inc. hatred at me :D.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

the problem is that hunters use aimed shot in pvp anywayas.

and the fact is, there's a different between making something pvp-viable... and making it more powerful than a 30-point talent.
uhhhh fuck.

Return to “Gaming”