WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ProZac

Re: WoWzers!

Postby ProZac » Wed May 12, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Eh, at least if you're tanking or healing, I think the dungeon route is much faster. Granted, I always run with full rested xp. It only takes about 6 dungeon runs per level.

Also, at least when Wrath came out, the first week or two was hell to level. Even moreso for the first day or two. Anywhere you went there were so many goddamned people. Finishing quests were difficult, especially the 'kill this specific mob' ones.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed May 12, 2010 5:41 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Eh, at least if you're tanking or healing, I think the dungeon route is much faster. Granted, I always run with full rested xp. It only takes about 6 dungeon runs per level.

Also, at least when Wrath came out, the first week or two was hell to level. Even moreso for the first day or two. Anywhere you went there were so many goddamned people. Finishing quests were difficult, especially the 'kill this specific mob' ones.

With dual spec I can't imagine who'd be leveling as a tank or healer. Even then I can't imagine it'd be that much faster than doing quests. Most dungeons aren't going to be completed as quickly as you can now, so those 6 runs could take a fair while I'd say.

I got Wrath the day it came out and worked through Borean Tundra and it seemed fine to me. A couple of quests required some waiting (when it was a single mob) but most things were either phased or respawned ridiculously fast that I never had any issue with "stalling" on quests. Having 2 starter zones helped a lot too. I imagine they'll do similar things for Cataclysm.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed May 12, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Chen wrote:With dual spec I can't imagine who'd be leveling as a tank or healer. Even then I can't imagine it'd be that much faster than doing quests. Most dungeons aren't going to be completed as quickly as you can now, so those 6 runs could take a fair while I'd say.

I am, on my warrior. He has only one spec, prot. I don't have dual specs on him, and I have no intention of buying it (Even though I have nearly 50k gold, I'm a stingy bastard). I don't want to bother learning another spec, or carrying around another set of gear. I've leveled from 68 to 75 completing only quests that lead to the dungeon ones (for extra xp/gear), and I doubt I'll change that. Each run takes about 30 minutes with a decent group. Get a good one and it goes faster. I suppose the 'getting a good group' is the hard part. I know from about 68-73 I was doing first or second dps nearly every instance. I did come across a level 72 warlock pulling 2k throughout all of The Nexus. Need more people like him. I've seen level 80's with 5k GS pull less in heroics.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed May 12, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I am, on my warrior. He has only one spec, prot. I don't have dual specs on him, and I have no intention of buying it (Even though I have nearly 50k gold, I'm a stingy bastard). I don't want to bother learning another spec, or carrying around another set of gear. I've leveled from 68 to 75 completing only quests that lead to the dungeon ones (for extra xp/gear), and I doubt I'll change that. Each run takes about 30 minutes with a decent group. Get a good one and it goes faster. I suppose the 'getting a good group' is the hard part. I know from about 68-73 I was doing first or second dps nearly every instance. I did come across a level 72 warlock pulling 2k throughout all of The Nexus. Need more people like him. I've seen level 80's with 5k GS pull less in heroics.

Getting the groups things will be tough for grinding I imagine. Most people want to do the quests and stuff both because they're fast and because the rewards are often worthwhile. If you have a fixed group and are grinding instances it should only be a bit slower than questing. But thats a pretty specific situation. I imagine, like in BC and WotLK people will do the instance once or twice to get the instance quests done and then go off to do more quests, for the most part. Maybe it'll be easier to constantly get groups with the cross-realm thing, but I imagine it'll be a fair bit more restrictive too (especially if you can still choose "random"). I mean you wouldn't want to throw a level 81 char into a level 84 dungeon and have them get killed because they have bad gear.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri May 14, 2010 12:59 am UTC

I ejoy the lore behind the game, so I never skip quests.

With that said, doing quests won't harm you as you're knocking off achievements as well. Weave in the dungeon run here and there each time a quest directs you (they have a nice way of phasing in dungeon quests for players, andthey've only gotten better).

And, besides, did you see the tons of screenshots worth of old world changes and new areas? It'd be such a waste to not explore/enjoy them.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri May 14, 2010 1:38 pm UTC

Finally started working on PP Heroic. Looks like the transition is going to be the hardest part, so far 83% of our wipes have been on transitions :). Fight is crazy chaotic and fun. I really think we should have been working on him weeks ago, but what can you do. Got another 2 hours planned on him for Monday before we move on and grab some more LK loot, though I'd much prefer to just spend the whole night on him, but I guess the loot is a good thing.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri May 14, 2010 2:18 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:Finally started working on PP Heroic. Looks like the transition is going to be the hardest part, so far 83% of our wipes have been on transitions :). Fight is crazy chaotic and fun. I really think we should have been working on him weeks ago, but what can you do. Got another 2 hours planned on him for Monday before we move on and grab some more LK loot, though I'd much prefer to just spend the whole night on him, but I guess the loot is a good thing.

Have all melee, healers and pets stand on the green slimes during transition, regardless of the polarity they get. Leaves ranged free to dps the slimes down easier. Make sure the slime explosion knocks you towards the table. Ensure all ranged are near the table as well. This will make sure you keep the green slime under control. Army of the dead can be used during the transition to further split the damage the green slime deals. You also need to make sure there is a slime puddle up during transition so the Abom can re-slow the red slime when the first slow wears off. Not being able to slow the red slime a second time will likely cause a wipe. Remember to get the hell away from the red slime when it starts re-targeting.

Most important thing. DO NOT GET WORRIED ABOUT THE STUPID DISEASE. Much of the chaos in the fight is by people panicking about the disease. Its practically a non-issue. Designate one area as a "no go" zone for people who have the disease and make anyone who has more than 4 stacks of the debuff go there. We had an elaborate way of dealing with the disease until we realized even when we fucked that plan up, no one was actually dying to it. Blizzard is devious. The disease thing is just there to distract you.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri May 14, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Have all melee, healers and pets stand on the green slimes during transition, regardless of the polarity they get. Leaves ranged free to dps the slimes down easier. Make sure the slime explosion knocks you towards the table. Ensure all ranged are near the table as well. This will make sure you keep the green slime under control. Army of the dead can be used during the transition to further split the damage the green slime deals. You also need to make sure there is a slime puddle up during transition so the Abom can re-slow the red slime when the first slow wears off. Not being able to slow the red slime a second time will likely cause a wipe. Remember to get the hell away from the red slime when it starts re-targeting.

Most important thing. DO NOT GET WORRIED ABOUT THE STUPID DISEASE. Much of the chaos in the fight is by people panicking about the disease. Its practically a non-issue. Designate one area as a "no go" zone for people who have the disease and make anyone who has more than 4 stacks of the debuff go there. We had an elaborate way of dealing with the disease until we realized even when we fucked that plan up, no one was actually dying to it. Blizzard is devious. The disease thing is just there to distract you.

Yeah, that's pretty much our idea. We're dealing with the disease by having a goto spot if you get it and ranged just grab it as needed. AVR-e provides a nice visual timer on how long they've had the disease, it hasn't been a huge issue. And even if someone dies to it, we have 3 BRs and we don't have to deal with it for a while, so it's not a huge deal.

I think we mostly need more practice on the transition, what you say is pretty much our plan (except we're going to the right wall instead of the table). We've only done 6 tries I think (Wednesday was kind of a write-off night, not sure what happened as I wasn't there, but they only killed 3 bosses, so we were playing catch up last night), and we had 3 oozes/slimes up during the transition 3 times, people getting hit by the brown ooze when it switched targets, people not restacking for green slime, and so on. Given that it was our first time ever pulling him most of these problems were expected. Hopefully we can make some good progress on Monday as people have had time to process all the stuff that goes on.
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon May 17, 2010 11:58 am UTC

mike-l wrote:I think we mostly need more practice on the transition, what you say is pretty much our plan (except we're going to the right wall instead of the table). We've only done 6 tries I think (Wednesday was kind of a write-off night, not sure what happened as I wasn't there, but they only killed 3 bosses, so we were playing catch up last night), and we had 3 oozes/slimes up during the transition 3 times, people getting hit by the brown ooze when it switched targets, people not restacking for green slime, and so on. Given that it was our first time ever pulling him most of these problems were expected. Hopefully we can make some good progress on Monday as people have had time to process all the stuff that goes on.

An ooze still up at transition is almost unrecoverable as you said. We hard stop dps at 3-4% to transition and wait for a slime. If your dps is good you can push him to the first transition before the second slime spawns (we've been doing it consistently since the 15% buff, and with good luck we sometimes managed with the 10% one).

The table at the transition has an advantage that the green slime explosion will need to push someone twice to hit the table. The right wall is kinda close and the first explosion will likely get you to the wall. Means the slime has to move less far before exploding again. Not really sure why but our kiters also found it easier to keep the red slime in range of people at the table than at the wall. It may have something to do with where it spawns and initial movement but I can't really put my finger on why. Things did get smoother when we moved to table instead of the wall (which is what we started with too).

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon May 17, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:I ejoy the lore behind the game, so I never skip quests.

With that said, doing quests won't harm you as you're knocking off achievements as well. Weave in the dungeon run here and there each time a quest directs you (they have a nice way of phasing in dungeon quests for players, andthey've only gotten better).

And, besides, did you see the tons of screenshots worth of old world changes and new areas? It'd be such a waste to not explore/enjoy them.

Yeah, I assume the new zones are going to be the big thing making people do those. Never cared for the lore, and I hate achievement farming. I'm the type of person that will purposely screw people over when they want to get an achievement.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Mon May 17, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

ProZac wrote: I'm the type of person that will purposely screw people over when they want to get an achievement.

Seems needlessly jerkish.

I generally won't go out of my way to do an achievement, but I'll always try for things that don't take any extra time, like Less-rabi, or if someone wants to do a X-Void in Oculus. On the other hand, if someone wants to do Share the Love or Abuse the Ooze, they can do that on their own time.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon May 17, 2010 5:22 pm UTC

I'll admit it makes me an asshole. But I consider it a good duty. I'm helping people understand those achievements are absolutely pointless. As far as the voids, those are a pain in the ass, people suck, especially the ones that usually want them. Achievements like Less-rabi are how achievements should be designed. Achievements should be earned by doing the fight correctly (Fast, not getting hit by abilities, not taking excessive damage, etc), not by going out of your way to do something extra.

Also, it's not like I'm joining groups that want to do them and screwing them over. It's more of the "I queue for randeroic, get Nexus, and 2 people yell 'We're doing all the achievements!'" No we're not, screw you, I joined a randeroic with the purpose of doing it fast, not helping you do stupid shit with no purpose.

Lounge

Postby Lounge » Mon May 17, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

Yeah, heroics are such a joke now that I'd rather just get them done with quickly. Glory of the Hero was something back before Ulduar, and you'd have to plan some of your compositions for certain ones, but now it's mostly meaningless other than another dragon in your collection of mounts.
Dibley wrote:"This plot makes no sense! That's not really a lion, it's a guy in a lion suit!"

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon May 17, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I'll admit it makes me an asshole. But I consider it a good duty. I'm helping people understand those achievements are absolutely pointless.

Not really pointless for those are wanting to do them. Hell the dungeon ones even get you a mount. Not everyone plays the game for the same thing. I can understand not wanting to do an achievement if its going to make things harder. But when someone says they "purposely screws people over" with respect to achievements the feeling most get from reading it is that the person is going out of their way to screw people over.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Tue May 18, 2010 1:16 pm UTC

Chen wrote:An ooze still up at transition is almost unrecoverable as you said. We hard stop dps at 3-4% to transition and wait for a slime. If your dps is good you can push him to the first transition before the second slime spawns (we've been doing it consistently since the 15% buff, and with good luck we sometimes managed with the 10% one).

The table at the transition has an advantage that the green slime explosion will need to push someone twice to hit the table. The right wall is kinda close and the first explosion will likely get you to the wall. Means the slime has to move less far before exploding again. Not really sure why but our kiters also found it easier to keep the red slime in range of people at the table than at the wall. It may have something to do with where it spawns and initial movement but I can't really put my finger on why. Things did get smoother when we moved to table instead of the wall (which is what we started with too).

I guess our dps isn't good :) I think people are overly concerned about the plague/slime positioning still.

I'm very much inclined to agree with you about handling the plague, but our raid leaders disagree, and I'm not going to push it too much since what we're doing seems to have started working. We have THREE mods helping with it (DBM, AVR-e, and some plague-specific mod) which I think is 3 too many, and contributes to such ridiculous statements such as "I didn't switch targets because noone called it in vent".

We're still having a lot of trouble with the transition (and to be honest, the green slime in general), but at least we're getting through it most attempts now, albeit with a few deaths each time. Mainly people getting separated from the group and then getting targeted by the green slime all by themselves.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Tue May 18, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

I'm not a fan of achievements either (and I don't care for mounts anyway; my druid is quite happy with her Cenarion War Hippogryph), but I understand why some people would do them.

Sort of like world firsts? They're meaningless too, at some point everyone will get x loot from the boss; it doesn't matter who did first. People place value on the most curious of endeavors, and it's their prerogative to do so, only becoming a problem when they seek to impose their standards upon others.

Anyway, what I meant with achievements with questing is one of the SEVERAL reasons as to why people would quest instead of doing a dungeon. I prefer reading the quest text and immersing in the environment rather than grinding the same dungeon over and over. Grinds bore me, one of the particular reasons why I would get tired with hard modes in ICC and not even caring for LK HM, but never getting tired of good battleground premades/arena.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed May 19, 2010 4:07 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:I'm very much inclined to agree with you about handling the plague, but our raid leaders disagree, and I'm not going to push it too much since what we're doing seems to have started working. We have THREE mods helping with it (DBM, AVR-e, and some plague-specific mod) which I think is 3 too many, and contributes to such ridiculous statements such as "I didn't switch targets because noone called it in vent".

Something that puts a /say bubble up when you have the plague is all we really needed for it. After that really just run it to someone. No finessing, no waiting to choose a target, just run towards someone give it to them. Its the responsibility of those with a ton of stacks to be WAY out of the way.

We're still having a lot of trouble with the transition (and to be honest, the green slime in general), but at least we're getting through it most attempts now, albeit with a few deaths each time. Mainly people getting separated from the group and then getting targeted by the green slime all by themselves.

One key to avoid deaths is make sure you don't run towards the slime before it re-targets. If you're way off in the middle of nowhere compared to the rest of the group run towards the table but not directly towards the slime. Helps gather people together. Remember too pets/summons etc count for splitting green ooze damage. Immunity effects can also bug them out pretty good for a while.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu May 20, 2010 12:56 pm UTC

Guild finally killed LK last night. We had our best available, and even had more signups than 10 people. First time that's happened in a long ass time. Everyone there had seen the fight before, so there was no more learning. We managed to go from 'always failing on second defile' to 'dead LK' in 2 hours. Granted our kill was kinda sloppy. 2 healers died in phase 5, leaving our shaman solo healing from about 20% - 10%. Our hunter and I managed to die before then, but they were still able to burn him down. Our priest also went disc, which seemed to make it a holy hell of alot easier for the healers.

Still feels like we should have had this over a month ago. Guess this means hardmodes next week.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Thu May 20, 2010 2:13 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Guild finally killed LK last night. We had our best available, and even had more signups than 10 people. First time that's happened in a long ass time. Everyone there had seen the fight before, so there was no more learning. We managed to go from 'always failing on second defile' to 'dead LK' in 2 hours. Granted our kill was kinda sloppy. 2 healers died in phase 5, leaving our shaman solo healing from about 20% - 10%. Our hunter and I managed to die before then, but they were still able to burn him down. Our priest also went disc, which seemed to make it a holy hell of alot easier for the healers.

Still feels like we should have had this over a month ago. Guess this means hardmodes next week.

w00t! Huge congrats! And welcome to the world of hardmodes where you get to do it all again :) (though fortunately 5 or 6 of them are easier than LK) Are you still playing feral?

The last few weeks we'd been wiping for an hour or so on LDW then switching her to normal and moving on. This week after 2 hours of wiping on Tuesday our raid leader snapped and said we aren't doing anything else until she's dead, even if we only down Marrowgar this week. First pull on night 2 we destroyed her, I guess that was the kick in the butt we needed. We also got the blood wing quest which usually means 30 minutes of wiping til the timer runs out and people start playing well again, but we somehow 1 shot both bosses (a feat I don't think we've ever done in the same week before... certainly not while people are blinded by the timer). And I finally nabbed a shiny 277 Trauma, so all in all a great night for me!

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu May 20, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:w00t! Huge congrats! And welcome to the world of hardmodes where you get to do it all again :) (though fortunately 5 or 6 of them are easier than LK) Are you still playing feral?

I actually was feral for LK. I think I did kinda shoddy (6k dps), but I'll chalk that up to the fact I'm still not great at playing melee. And melee is just difficult in any real movement based fights anyway. My ArP is at a solid 1200-ish. It was the first first-kill for my guild where I *wasn't* healing, though a boss has never been downed without me present (I think only me and our Pally healer can say that, not sure about him though).

Lately, I've been filling the 'anything' role. I can heal, disc or resto druid. I can tank on my druid. I can do ranged on my shadow priest at about 7.5k dps and be the 'repleni-bot', or I can do melee dps on my druid. Last night, melee on druid, since we had healers, no other druid, and the GotW with brez was deemed better than a slightly unhappy hunter playing survival instead of marks.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 20, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

So after starting up, I convinced a friend of mine who plays EVE to play WoW again with me since we have similar schedules. I send him my guest pass and we start playing. Guess what? Guest pass != Recommend a Friend key.

Emailed Blizzard, hope they'll be willing to switch him, but I doubt it. :( Goodbye 3x xp, grant a level, and a fucking rocket ship. What are people's experience with having Blizzard cooperate?

Also, VE is fun. Dotted mobs produce a steady stream of green for the group. Not much, but it's cool.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu May 20, 2010 8:10 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:So after starting up, I convinced a friend of mine who plays EVE to play WoW again with me since we have similar schedules. I send him my guest pass and we start playing. Guess what? Guest pass != Recommend a Friend key.

Emailed Blizzard, hope they'll be willing to switch him, but I doubt it. :( Goodbye 3x xp, grant a level, and a fucking rocket ship. What are people's experience with having Blizzard cooperate?

Also, VE is fun. Dotted mobs produce a steady stream of green for the group. Not much, but it's cool.

Seems spotty. I've had some requests filled that were "I can't believe you did that for me", and others that were "Why wouldn't you do that for me?!" Did your friend already buy the game and activate? If not, it's not that big of an issue to start over.

I also have that Rocket. One of my unused Zehvras got switched to it. I haven't given it to a character yet, as I don't know who I want to receive in. I would never use it on my druid, as he's got 310% Swift Flight Form, but he's also my main. My priest seems like the best option, but I don't really do any travelling with her, and she doesn't have the 280% flying (because I'm cheap, I gave a Zevhra to my warrior solely to avoid buying him a mount).

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 20, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

He already activated, but he activated from the gamepass key I gave him from my retail box.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu May 20, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

Call them. The e-mail route is automated response galore (and very delayed at that), and the GM's are usually a bunch of tools.

With that said, expect lengthy (can go to 20 min+) phone queue times unless you can speak Spanish and call the Spanish line instead (which is very fast by comparison :twisted: ).

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Thu May 20, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I'll admit it makes me an asshole. But I consider it a good duty. I'm helping people understand those achievements are absolutely pointless. As far as the voids, those are a pain in the ass, people suck, especially the ones that usually want them. Achievements like Less-rabi are how achievements should be designed. Achievements should be earned by doing the fight correctly (Fast, not getting hit by abilities, not taking excessive damage, etc), not by going out of your way to do something extra.

Also, it's not like I'm joining groups that want to do them and screwing them over. It's more of the "I queue for randeroic, get Nexus, and 2 people yell 'We're doing all the achievements!'" No we're not, screw you, I joined a randeroic with the purpose of doing it fast, not helping you do stupid shit with no purpose.

Yes, you're an asshole. Please don't delude yourself by saying you're doing a "good duty" by ruining others' enjoyment of the game. You realize you're not going to affect in any way someone's determination to complete the achievement. You're only going to delay them. So your noble purpose isn't even a valid one.

Stupid shit with no purpose? THIS IS A GAME! There is no purpose! Other than... playing a game (like for fun, get it?). Why should I, someone who doesn't know you, care about what you think of the way I play the game? I used to play on a RP server, and there are people there who level up to 25 and then do nothing but roleplay every day for the rest of the time they play the game. They don't raid, or quest, or do battlegrounds, or even achievements. But it's their right to play the game in their own way. You are trying to take something away that you have no right to, but you think it's a good thing?
<--sooo confused

I'm glad you've decided it's your place to decide how others get to enjoy themselves in an online game. Since, you know, I don't consider it a waste of time to get a 310% speed mount by doing the holiday achievements for an entire year. Like the recent orphan capping achievement in AV, and the fact that a maximum of 4 people per faction could get it per battleground. I did manage to get it, but I was thwarted between 15-20 times by jerks with no agenda other than to grief their own faction. How lame can you get? I mean, I kill lowbies in STV on occasion so I'm not opposed to general meanness on a pvp server. But I don't understand meanness directed at your own faction. This achievement is pretty srs bsns for me because my druid has no other method of obtaining a 310% speed mount, due to my work schedule which entirely precludes raiding (not to mention that I raided hardcore back at 70 and have no desire to go there again, even if my schedule allowed it. Which it doesn't anyway.)

Now, if you want to grief people and ruin a stranger's night, I can't stop you. But I will be god-damned if I will let you maintain delusions of philanthropy while doing so.
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri May 21, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

I won't waste a time with a quote, as it would be huge and unnecessary, but you get mad at me for ruining someone else's enjoyment of a game, when by forcing me to do achievements, they're doing the exact same thing? You have the exact same motivation as me (play the game how you want) with the same outcome (ruin someone else's enjoyment of the game). The difference being you don't see it as "I'm being an asshole", while I'm willing to admit it. I've been kicked out of randeroics before for refusing to do achievements. When someone queues to a randeroic with "I'm doing achievements" in mind, someone is coming out on the other end an asshole. Either the guy that forced others to do achievements, the guy that refused, or the people that added 30 minutes onto the dungeon timer of the dude that didn't want to do the achievements.

I have the holiday mount for my druid. It's where my 310% flying speed came from (which is an actual benefit). However, when I was doing it, I was able to complete all of those on my own, and didn't have to bother anyone to go out of their way for them. If people want to do those 'pointless' (imo) achievements, fine, just don't drag me along. I queued to kill the last boss and get my frost emblems. Not to help some random (usually low-geared) person with some extra bullshit.

I'm also lost as to how the RPer is relevant? They bother me none, they can be on their merry little way.
Last edited by ProZac on Fri May 21, 2010 2:12 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Veora

Postby Veora » Fri May 21, 2010 1:24 pm UTC

I'd just like to say, after our second night on Lich King (25)

... i think i've grown to hate that encounter with a passion. We allways seem to get a defile that grows quicker than we can run. :(
<Witty and funny signature here>

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri May 21, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Veora wrote:I'd just like to say, after our second night on Lich King (25)

... i think i've grown to hate that encounter with a passion. We allways seem to get a defile that grows quicker than we can run. :(

On normal you can spread out before defiles even if it causes the valkyr to go in 3 different directions as a result, and probably not get too screwed. The golden rule about defile is "if you think you're far enough away from the defile, run for another second or so".

The second defile on heroic lich king is constantly killing us. Its never clear if the defile or the valkyr are going to come up first so we can't reliably spread out for that defile. It means we have to kinda finesse it and we're terrible at things like that. I think we've managed to survive that defile like 3 times. There's also the issue that comes up if our one holy paladin gets picked up, the tanks have a massive chance of just falling over dead. If your disc priest gets picked up more than once we're probably fucked too. On the other hand we've had it where 2 of our warlocks have gotten picked up, meaning that valkyr phase was a complete joke. I hate this fight. Like Anub'arak the difficulty is so out of whack compared to the rest of the instance its not even funny.

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Fri May 21, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I won't waste a time with a quote, as it would be huge and unnecessary, but you get mad at me for ruining someone else's enjoyment of a game, when by forcing me to do achievements, they're doing the exact same thing?

In my mind:

Asking someone to do an achievement: Fine
Kicking them when they say no: Asshole

Saying no to an achievement: Fine
Purposely screwing someone's achievement up, then acting holier than thou and saying you're doing your duty teaching them what to care about: Asshole.

I think the last point is what meatyochre was calling you out on.

@Chen
Not knowing whether valks or defile are coming first was definitely one of the most aggrevating things while we were progressing on him. As you say, now with the 15% buff and way more gear, it doesn't really matter which way the valks go (though we let our ret paladin die to them last week, but I think that was just for kicks). In a few weeks I'll probably get to be aggrevated wiping on the heroic version :).

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri May 21, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:Asking someone to do an achievement: Fine

Purposely screwing someone's achievement up, then acting holier than thou and saying you're doing your duty teaching them what to care about: Asshole.

I already admitted a bad choice of words when saying it was purposely. As noted, I don't go out of my way, I just don't participate. When person joins and says: "We're doing achievement," there are options. My preferred is ignore them and act like the never said anything. I could also say no, and risk getting kicked. On the other hand, I've also had people (tanks/healers mostly) pull groups in frustration and leave, essentially wiping group. I just prefer to pretend the chat box doesn't exist.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri May 21, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

mike-l wrote:@Chen
Not knowing whether valks or defile are coming first was definitely one of the most aggrevating things while we were progressing on him. As you say, now with the 15% buff and way more gear, it doesn't really matter which way the valks go (though we let our ret paladin die to them last week, but I think that was just for kicks). In a few weeks I'll probably get to be aggrevated wiping on the heroic version :).

Even when killing him on normal way back we always found it better to just assign dps to each Valkyr and have them single target them down. It worked pretty well. I'm starting to wonder whether its worth trying on heroic because we're just failing doing it the normal way.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri May 21, 2010 9:42 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
mike-l wrote:Asking someone to do an achievement: Fine

I already admitted a bad choice of words when saying it was purposely. As noted, I don't go out of my way, I just don't participate. When person joins and says: "We're doing achievement," there are options. My preferred is ignore them and act like the never said anything. I could also say no, and risk getting kicked. On the other hand, I've also had people (tanks/healers mostly) pull groups in frustration and leave, essentially wiping group. I just prefer to pretend the chat box doesn't exist.

Fair enough. I think people who try to do heroic achievements in a random are pretty dumb, too. But I don't think going out of your way to piss people off is a good idea, either. I'm like you, if someone says they want to do emerald void when I'm on my healer, I pretend I never saw it and get my green drake as normal. though I'm always down to attempt moorabi, just because it's something easy and encourages a speed kill

group achievements are hairy. if people want them badly enough, they'll organize their own group of like-mindeds from their own server. Your words just sparked a frenzy of anger (lol) based on my personal experience with the orphan griefing.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun May 23, 2010 11:31 pm UTC

Ding, 40, Shadowform, sexy.

In other news, I called billing, and after a one hour and seven minute hold (I'm not exaggerating), a friendly lady picked up, listened to my tale of woe, and instantly fixed everything. She then emailed me asking if there was anything else she could do, responded to a quick inquiry within 10 minutes, and fixed that one too.

It's really hard to be annoyed that something didn't work when a company is so willing to fix it. The long hold aside (which really, on a Sunday is to be expected), I give them 5/5 for fairly and promptly fixing my issue.

Can't wait to facemelt from the shadows.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 am UTC

Shadow priests are disgustingly OP at the moment; enjoy the effortless destruction until cata. Good to hear they handled you well. They're not the dominant MMO for lack of a good business model.

Oh, and the hour-long queues? It's not just Sundays; it's the consequence of a HUGE (millions) customer base in a platform that needs constant intervention.

My shaman just hit 70 ;D, I love how sparkly the shaman animations are, with the orbs and thunder and totems, pretty visually impressive spell effects.

If I had one wish for the class it'd be that they make the Summon Elemental totems more practical. I barely use them; and when I do, I don't feel their average potency justifies the long, long 10 min cooldown.

Veora

Postby Veora » Mon May 24, 2010 8:26 am UTC

Chen wrote:
Veora wrote:I'd just like to say, after our second night on Lich King (25)

On normal you can spread out before defiles even if it causes the valkyr to go in 3 different directions as a result, and probably not get too screwed. The golden rule about defile is "if you think you're far enough away from the defile, run for another second or so".

We tried this last night, after 2 hours of wiping on sindrigosa we decided to have an attempt or two on LK, we spread out a second before he cast defile and our best attempt was 28% which.. for us is a huge leap, our previous best was 48% so come tuesday i think we'll have him dead (i hope!) And its allways nice when the Val'kyr pick up two warlocks :p
<Witty and funny signature here>

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon May 24, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:Shadow priests are disgustingly OP at the moment; enjoy the effortless destruction until cata.

You keep saying this, and I'm assuming you mean pvp, but I don't see it. Granted the only time I've ever dueled on my spriest in in full raid gear with raid spec. In pve, I think it's gotta be mages. Both our guild mages pull 13k dps on phase 1 of LK like it's nothing.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you Izawwlgood. Enjoy your bonus xp and flying rocket.

On another note, anyone see that a rogue solo'd Patchwerk 25? Way too much time on his hands, though a damn impressive use of mechanics.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon May 24, 2010 5:56 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
Lucrece wrote:Shadow priests are disgustingly OP at the moment; enjoy the effortless destruction until cata.

You keep saying this, and I'm assuming you mean pvp, but I don't see it. Granted the only time I've ever dueled on my spriest in in full raid gear with raid spec. In pve, I think it's gotta be mages. Both our guild mages pull 13k dps on phase 1 of LK like it's nothing.

Glad to hear everything worked out for you Izawwlgood. Enjoy your bonus xp and flying rocket.

On another note, anyone see that a rogue solo'd Patchwerk 25? Way too much time on his hands, though a damn impressive use of mechanics.

Yeah, PvP wise. Try it some time, especially as a non-shadowpriest class with a well-specced and geared pvp shadowpriest around. Shadowpriests tank and mitigate damage in pvp gear pretty well, while they're damage is quickly applied and continues to hit like a brick while they stay mobile, have an aoe fear, a 9 second disarm in a 3 sec horror effect, with burst that is just out of this world.

Especially a spriest with heroism/bloodlust up in an arena. A Vampiric Touch by a Wrathful spriest was hitting my 1300 resilience feral for 1.7k non-crit ticks. A 1.5 sec cast DoT, with a constantly refreshed swp and devouring plague ticking is on average 3-4k I'm taking per ticks alone without adding mindflay, mindblast, or sw:d into the mix.

In PvE, I wouldn't even say mages. Arcane mages are stupid, yes, but at heroic ICC they start being surpassed by fire spec, and even then it's rogues and hunters who are pulling the insane numbers in my experience. Feral druids are quite up there as well.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 24, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Lucrece wrote:enjoy the effortless destruction until cata.

They're nerfing spriests? If anything, it looks like they're getting more ease; the shadow orb mechanic to make everything pre-40 less of a chore, and Mind Spike to provide alternatives to the full ramp up.

I just hate that I don't get an AoE until 75; in random dungeons, I'm routinely depressed at my dps being about a third of a mage or warlock, and then promptly not depressed whenever we get to the boss.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon May 24, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

They have a history of toning down dominant classes, slowly propping them back up after release. Rogues were pretty weak at the start of wotlk, shamans and warlocks as well. Priests also needed a revamp.

I'm being optimistic that they'll take a better approach at class balance come the xpac, because the current status is disastrous.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue May 25, 2010 3:40 am UTC

ugh billing. I called them approximately 10 minutes after they opened on a weekday morning and got an automated reply stating their call queue was maxed out and to try again later. I didn't even get the option to wait on hold for an hour :(

As someone who works with phones for a living, I can't really understand why they even have phones in the billing department, given the poor way they've handled the situation. They should hire enough reps at least so no caller is ever turned away. It can't be that much more fantastically expensive to have a fully functional call center staff with call forcasters who know how to plan so that at least 90% of calls can be taken within a fair waiting period (<10 minutes).

If only I were fluent in Spanish, I'm pretty sure their foreign-language reps would have shorter wait times.

Return to “Gaming”