IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Postby Stucky101 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:15 am UTC

After I bought my X52 Saitek joystick (which I love) a friend told me I should get this game. Its fantastic, I love flight simulators especially ones based in WWII. Its only 10 dollars on steam and I would absolutely recommend it.

The only reason I'm not playing it constantly is that I'm having trouble finding people to play it with. The singleplayer is great, but it really shines in its multiplayer which I was lucky enough to play some of with a few friends that quickly move on to new games after the last one bores them. Since then I haven't found anyone else interested in playing online, and I can never find a single running server when I look. I was wondering if there's an IL-2 community out there that uses hamachi or something like that to play. Its such a fun game, I'd be amazed if people didn't play it online.

On an unrelated note here's a great video of crashes from the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ9jM7txEzw&eurl
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."
~Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, 1895

Numquam

Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

Postby Numquam » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:16 am UTC

While I haven't played IL2 specifically, flight sims are so epic when on TS or vent.
admiror, o internet, te non cecidisse (ruinis)
qui tot scriptorum taedia sustineas

Stucky101
Location: Park City, Utah, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, The Milky Way, Universe A

Postby Stucky101 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:19 am UTC

Never mind. I found out about something called HyperLobby, it turns out there are a lot of IL-2 servers out there you just need the right application to find them. I just don't understand why the IL-2 devs didn't give the game the ability to do that itself.
"The earth is the cradle of humankind, but one cannot live in the cradle forever."

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:32 am UTC

That looks like a hella sweet game. I've never been much for flight sims, but that video made me really crave a joystick.
So glad to meet you, Angeles

Stucky101

Postby Stucky101 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:49 am UTC

FearoftheDomo-Kun wrote:That looks like a hella sweet game. I've never been much for flight sims, but that video made me really crave a joystick.

Yeah its a great game and I have a lot of fun with it. What annoys me is how tough it is to master. Since I've been playing online I've only had 1 maybe 2 kills. It feels like everyone else can some how turn faster than me and when ever I try to turn as fast as them I just stall. I suppose games like this just need practice, I'll get better eventually.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:42 pm UTC

Study the basic dogfighting strategies, and the strengths and weaknesses of every plane, then practice alot. This goes not only for IL-2, but for every somewhat realistic dogfight-sim out there. You'll learn alot of aeronautics before you start winning.

The good news is, there is a sudden and sharp difference in skill at some point between rookie and veteran, and when you get to that point you will suddenly understand everything in an instant (very much a "woah, I know kung-fu" moment). For me this happened in the middle of a fight, and I went from trying to avoid the jerry on my tail (which had been the status quo up to then) to downing four of them in five minutes all by myself before having to bail out because of a burning engine caused by damage sustained in the beginning of the fight. It is one of the greatest gaming moments of my life, and something I remember with glee each time I start a flight-sim.

Then there's the teamwork moment after that, in which you and a wingman become much more than the sum of your skills.

Fighting human opponents is required, as the computer just isn't smart enough to force you to fully utilize your knowledge and your aircraft, which is needed to reach that next level. The fights against experienced opponents are also much more rewarding, since every little mistake could mean your doom. It's sort of like chess, except the rules keep changing, you've only got a split second to make your move, and you're both trying to kill eachother with machine guns.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Stucky101

Postby Stucky101 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:18 am UTC

I think it just clicked. Suddenly, I really do know kung-fu. I'm no longer shot down every time someone gets behind me, I've finally figured out ways to escape this trap and sometimes even turn the tables and get behind my pursuer. The game is many times more fun.

What I'm looking for now is a squadron/clan (what ever the IL-2 community calls them) to join. So if anyone is recruiting reply here. Tell me the IP address of what ever server your clan owns or hangs out at and I'll come fly around with you guys for a little bit, see if I want to join.

Return to “Gaming”