PS3, Xbox360, Wii, Atari 5200. Why buy? (PS3 vs XBox360)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: Should I sell my 360 and get a PS3?

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:39 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Your hands .. or, at least my hands.. look like they're ready for a NES or Genesis controller to be shoved in there for gameplayin'. The Dualshock also fits nicely. The XBox requires that I move my left thumb in a different position, while keeping my fingers on both hands in identical, if mirrored, positions.
Yeah, exactly, if I were to just die and all my muscles relaxed completely (or I could be asleep or something, for a less gruesome example, I guess), my hands would be exactly in my Dualshock holdin' position. The 360 means I actually have to hold my thumb up there, it's not natural at all.

My one complaint about the PS3 controller is the L2/R2 buttons. They really, really suck for holding down for long-medium periods of time, the 360 has the definite advantage there (though I prefer the PS3s shoulder buttons for just tapping or briefly using - the 360s triggers don't feel so well suited to stuff that isn't shooting a gun or accelerating a car). The DS2 is probably the best controller I've ever used - the DS3 is much better in several ways, but the crappy shoulder buttons mean it slips down just enough.

TheOtherDOOMGuy wrote:
Jebobek wrote:My favorite long-term controller is the wiimote because you've got your arms spread out to your sides while you're sitting/laying on the couch. My wrists can face any way thats comfortable at the time. I would love to see the devs (or, if I HAVE to use it, madkatz) to come out with some PS3/360 controllers that can come apart and are attached by a cord. It may not give you the quickest response times, but its the most ergonomically sound.

This actually sounds amazing!
I want something like this. You could probably alleviate the response times a bit with a wired connection to the console.
I think Sony have patented something like that, actually.

Tomo

Postby Tomo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Eh, hold your hands open losely, then turn your hands so that your thumbs are on top while keeping them even.

Your hands .. or, at least my hands.. look like they're ready for a NES or Genesis controller to be shoved in there for gameplayin'. The Dualshock also fits nicely.

Maybe I just have weird hands, but when I do this both my thumbs are higher up than for a dual shock controller, in the position of the left analogue stick + buttons on a 360 controller. My right thumb is also slightly lower than my left.

I find the dual shock intensely uncomfortable - to the point where I just can't play action games on the PS at all. The 360 controller on the other hand, is perfect.
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

I'd advise going for it. Get the PS3. The disc games are alright, but PSN is where it's at for me. It's got a wealth of exclusive experimental and arty games that I, personally enjoy.

LittleBigPlanet is not as amazing as you might believe.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:32 pm UTC

Tomo wrote:My right thumb is also slightly lower than my left.
... OK, that's just fucked up. I think you broke your hands playing Xbox.

i_ll_winn

Postby i_ll_winn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

I have to agree with jack, the dualshocks are a lot better than Xbox controllers, the symmetry of the controller just makes sense.
My left hand is the same general shape and size as my right, and so should my controller be. Its natural.
There is no enemy anywhere, only idiots with weapons.
My life is worthless, how I affect others is priceless.
Spoiler:

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure the Dualshocks are the most symmetric controllers in existence. I mean, the face buttons and d-pad buttons are pretty much in the same position, the start and select buttons are meticulously placed the same distance away from the centre so for every single button on the controller there's another on the mirror-flipped position opposite. I was surprised with the awkward placing on the inputs on the PSP after Sony's past obsession with symmetry in their controllers.

Tomo

Postby Tomo » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:

More likely to be excessive amounts of writing tbh, I don't play that much xbox :s

i_ll_winn wrote:I have to agree with jack, the dualshocks are a lot better than Xbox controllers, the symmetry of the controller just makes sense.
My left hand is the same general shape and size as my right, and so should my controller be. Its natural.

While this may be true for fps games, most of the games I prefer to play - racing, action, adventure, rpg, puzzle - use the left analogue stick and the four buttons. The 360 controller is way more symetrical for that type of play.

Although having said that, I usually play those games on a PS, <3 PS2 RPGs.
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"

GCM

Postby GCM » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

Tomo wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:

More likely to be excessive amounts of writing tbh, I don't play that much xbox :s

i_ll_winn wrote:I have to agree with jack, the dualshocks are a lot better than Xbox controllers, the symmetry of the controller just makes sense.

While this may be true for fps games, most of the games I prefer to play - racing, action, adventure, rpg, puzzle - use the left analogue stick and the four buttons. The 360 controller is way more symetrical for that type of play.

Although having said that, I usually play those games on a PS, <3 PS2 RPGs.

The fingers on my left hand are longer than the ones on my right, most prominently my ring finger; I attribute it to playing lots of guitar. And bending lots of strings. =P

I'm most comfortable with a DualShock, but that's only because I've played very little with any other type of controller (excluding mouse + keyboard). PS1, PS2, and now my (broken at the moment) PS3. I've touched all but a Gamecube controller.
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

The Gamecube controller, for all its asymmetricality (new word?), was quite comfortable. I have yet to discover why, but it probably has to do with the unique orientation of the abxy buttons (that and the general lack of corners).
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Tomo wrote:Maybe I just have weird hands, but when I do this both my thumbs are higher up than for a dual shock controller, in the position of the left analogue stick + buttons on a 360 controller. My right thumb is also slightly lower than my left.

I find the dual shock intensely uncomfortable - to the point where I just can't play action games on the PS at all. The 360 controller on the other hand, is perfect.

No thats pretty normal.
The SNES controller is still the best controller ever created, although that may be due to the shape of my hands slowly molding into the same the spent most of their childhood in.....
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

And on my car:
Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:55 am UTC

So the fact that Jack and I have normal hands makes /us/ freaks?
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:28 am UTC

We'll run away together and join the normal people circus.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

I don't play shooters much, so the right stick doesn't get a lot of use, so as was mentioned above, it's left stick and face buttons for happy symmetry. :)

Webbed_Toes

Postby Webbed_Toes » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Well I have both and I must say they are both great systems. While the PS3 has more power it also is harder to make games for. But while the Xbox 360 has less power people know how to make games for it.....good games. I must say the PS3 has many good games such as Metal Gear Solid and Killzone 2 but it does not let you use things like playing your own songs while you play games or going into chat with someone who is playing a different game than you and is also a big hassle to get into a chat with someone. The Xbox is cool cause it has games like Halo and Gears of War and it also allows you to do things like party chat (private chat with any 8 people playing any games) and getting into those chats is really easy. so while the PlayStation 3 contrary to popular to belief looks better only in a few games the Xbox still looks amazing and in a lot of cases looks better than the PlayStation. Also while the PlayStation network is free the price difference between the Xbox 360 and PS3 could pay for Xbox 360 live for 5 years and 5 months(yes i did a price check) also in almost all of the PlayStation 3 games they have to install onto your hardrive. This may reduce load times on a later play-through it is really irritating. for instance it took 20 minutes to install a chapter of MGS4 onto my playstation. The xbox gives you the option to install it onto your hardrive this ensures that if your disks gets scratched all your xbox has to do is verify that the disc in the tray is the actual game you are trying to play. So in the end I must say that i prefer the Xbox 360. :D
stephentyrone wrote:
Shriike wrote:good old fashion OOP

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

You have to reinstall MGS4 EVERY PLAYTHROUGH.

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:09 am UTC

I personally would keep the xbox and not worry about the ps3. too expensive for my taste with not enough gains.

As for the controller wars, although the button layout could have used a little work i actually liked the size of the original xbox controllers although most people complained they were way too big. PS3 doesn't work too well for me. the controllers are too small. My hands start to crap up fairly quickly with them.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:13 pm UTC

Alright, changing gears slightly yet keeping it the same... I find myself in a position where, if I choose, I could purchase an Xbox 360 or a Playstation 3. I have no interest in owning both at the same time.

So.. what's awesome on the PS3 that I can't get on the 360? And the reverse of that - what's on the 360 that's not on the PS3 that's worthwhile?
Spoiler - Difficulty Increases!
Spoiler:
I hate Final Fantasy and Metal Gear.
I'm not really a fan of JRPGs all together.
I hate Sports Games.
While I'm down for a really awesome driving game, I really only care for the ones I find really awesome. That said, I'm not a Gran Turismo fan. Not enough to buy it, at any rate.
I adore Katamary Damacy and wonder why it took me so long to buy it and play it. I like nutty crap like that.
Played Dead Rising for a bit at my brother-in-law's place, and it seemed really, really nice. Nice enough to make me want a 360 kinda nice. So if that's worth 40-80+ hours of running around, nice. Then again, some of it seemed like it could go sour, so.. I don't know.
Anyway, even without my particulars mattering, go ahead and say one way or another which one seems to be the better option.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

What racing games do you find awesome?

Katamari is on 360, but Katamari Forever is coming on PS3 soon. You sound like you don't care about the PS3 exclusives but you are happy with the 360 exclusives. Based on your particulars, I'd say get a 360.

Now, minus your particulars.. If you have recently upgrated your PC rig and plan to keep doing so, I'd say consider the PS3. What goes out on 360 may eventually get released on the PC, and vice versa. (Mass Effect 1/2)

Anyway, if you eventually "pull the trigger" for a console, I'd suggest gettting 15% off using bing.com's cashback deal:

http://www.bing.com (msn's new search engine)
Search for "dvd burner"
Click on the advertized link for the drive deals.
Spoiler:
bing_dvdburner_cashback.PNG
bing_dvdburner_cashback.PNG (65.09 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Once you're in TigerDirect.com, EVERYTHING is 15% cashback. Search for PS3/Xbox 360.
Spoiler:
PS3 bing cashback.PNG
PS3 bing cashback.PNG (110.77 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
TigerDirect.com is no Newegg, but a console is a console for the most part.

A little note on the 360's right now, from someone from amazon:
Spoiler:
The XBOX 360s with the original chipsets had overheating issues that caused a "red ring of death" with an eventual failure rate of 100%. Because of that, they extended the warranties from something like 90 days to three years (rather than manning up and issuing a product recall). It was a design flaw in the product. Eventually the machine would overheat and stop working and you'd have to send it back to Microsoft and wait for them to replace it (usually with another used machine that would also eventually die).

A later version used the Zephyr chipset and was found to have fewer occurrences of the "red ring of death". Instead, it was discovered to have a problem with the graphics chip overheating and resulting in a display error known as "E74". After much denial, Microsoft eventually admitted the problem and began covering it under warranty (so if your machine was not still under the very short product warranty, you were out of luck). That is the chip set that THIS Xbox 360 Elite bundle (which is advertised as "the newest XBOX 360") using. The old chipset.

The newest chipset is the Jasper, which has a smaller form factor and utilizes less power. It is generally considered quieter and has fewer known flaws. Ideally, you want a machine that is going to last you a very long time so you can enjoy your games long after the product is off the market. Not a machine that will die leaving you spending most of your time shipping things to and from Microsoft and dealing with their support services.

Unfortunately, the only versions known to currently ship with the Jasper chipset is (I believe) the Pro version (60gb drive) and the Arcade version (no drive at all). So, if you want a product with HDMI and a large drive, the Elite is the only choice you currently have and it is currently only using the Zephyr chip.

I had a first generation system which had the RROD after three months. I replaced it with a second machine (not just a replacement from MS but a second machine I went out and bought) that stopped working after about 100 hours of game play (the otpical drive stopped working and it would no longer even recognize that an XBOX 360 game was in the drive). Then I bought a 360 Elite that operated just fine for the eighteen months I had it before it was stolen. I just now replaced it with another 360 Elite and have no qualms with doing so, though I am very disappointed that they're not using the newest chipset and are instead just dumping their stockpile of old chips on the public. Imagine if you knew your line of cars had a major flaw that would cause them to stop working at a high rate of failure, but instead of fixing it you just continued to dump the stockpile of crappy cars on the public until you were out of them?

I wouldn't worry about buying a 360 Elite right now. Just understand that you are still sort of being screwed in doing so.
Arcade: $200 bucks, Jasper (newest, less red-ring) chipset, no HDMI included, no hard drive.
Pro: $300, Jasper, no HDMI included, 60 gigs hard drive.
Elite: $400, Some come with Zephyr which is the crappier, eventual red-ring chipset, HDMI, 120 gig hard drive.

A garunteed Jasper Elite that comes with RE5: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Resident ... roduct_top

DON'T Get this one, this one has the crappier chipset: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Elite-Ha ... b_title_vg

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

I think it depends on your needs, but I think if I were to just have *one*, I'd get a PS3. Most games are multi-platform now, and pretty much everything that's exclusive to 360 ends up on PC, whereas PS3 exclusives tend to truly be exclusive to the platform. Plus you get a future-proofed Blu-Ray player and some connectivity stuff with a PSP (assuming you have one). It especially helps that I seem to recall you saying you don't like online gaming, so the smaller playerbase won't bother you, and I'd say the PSN store definitely has more interesting games than XBLA.

With that said, I don't think you'd go wrong either way. The biggest reason to get a Jasper XBox would be the on-board flash memory, rather than any design flaws. My original run (Zephyr, I guess) Elite is still running strong almost two years since I bought it. Also, it's worth clarifying that the Pro has an HDMI output but doesn't come with the CABLE, not that it doesn't have HDMI at all. Don't get an Arcade. If you have Netflix, the streaming works REALLY well, as well, but you have to get an XBL Gold account to use it, so it may not be worth it if you're not going to play any games online.

Dead Rising is about as long as you want to put into it. I got kind of annoying of its "die and restart over and over" style of play, but it's definitely interesting and there's plenty to do in the game.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:16 pm UTC

Saying that I'm going to upgrade my PC is like saying that air is fun to breath.Given some quick research, Dead Rising 2 is slated for a PC release, so.. there's that. So far it seems that the PS3 is winning out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

Well, to be completely honest, for your gaming tastes, and what you have described, the PS3s bigger price tag is probably the mistake for you.
I would recommend the Xbox 360, as the exclusives, while most will eventually reach the PC, some will not, and for gaming value, and console proce, it would be a wiser I choice, I believe.

For racing games as you mentioned before, there is Forza Motorsport. Try it first, though, because it is kind of similar to Gran Turismo, although I enjoy it much more.

Also, make sure to take account of controllers, and machine noise.
The xbox is generally louder than the PS3, but if that isn't a problem, then no worries!
THe controllers need to be experienced on both consoles. Make sure you find the controller to be comfortable, beofer you make any big decisions. Sorry, if you have already mentioned this, but do take into consideration all these points, and, in complete honesty, you will be happy with whatever console you choose to own.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

And on my car:
Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Well, the reason the 360 is louder is because of the disk drive. If you pick up one with a huge (like xbox?) hard drive, you can install games to it and the noise shouldn't end up bothering you. This happens of course, because the PS3's Blu-Ray drive spins slower. Whether that's intentional to reduce noise, or a current limitation because Blu-Ray is relatively new, I don't know.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:55 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Well, the reason the 360 is louder is because of the disk drive. If you pick up one with a huge (like xbox?) hard drive, you can install games to it and the noise shouldn't end up bothering you. This happens of course, because the PS3's Blu-Ray drive spins slower. Whether that's intentional to reduce noise, or a current limitation because Blu-Ray is relatively new, I don't know.

It might be the information density of Blu-Ray. If your data transfer speed is capped to (for the purpose of this example) 20 Mb/s, then you would need to spin faster on the less-dense DVD than on a Blu-Ray disc to achieve the max rate.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:It might be the information density of Blu-Ray. If your data transfer speed is capped to (for the purpose of this example) 20 Mb/s, then you would need to spin faster on the less-dense DVD than on a Blu-Ray disc to achieve the max rate.

Well, the thing is, from what I've header, I've been under the impression that the Blu-Ray drive doesn't even manage the transfer rate of the 360's drive. And that is the reason why so many games require an installation (because there does not seem to be a significant difference on load times between the PS3 and 360. Probably because they usually have lame 5400RPM drives...)

Which would imply the drive speed is slowed down either because they haven't gotten it to read consistently at higher rates, or that it's artificially limited (for sound maybe, since Sony is trying to push the PS3 as an all in one media center, well I guess Microsoft does the same with the 360...)

EDIT: Quick research shows that the PS3 drive is 2x Blu-Ray, while the 360's is a 12x DVD. Apparently Blu-Ray discs have a constant read speed. 2x puts it at slight above the minimum read speed of the 360's drive. The maximum is apparently twice that of the PS3's at the moment.

Blu-ray 2x: 72Mbps
12x DVD: 66 - 132Mbps

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

No, it's still significantly louder even with games installed to the hard drive. The fans are much louder, as well.

mrjpark

Postby mrjpark » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

I was wondering what the final consensus was here - I'm also thinking about selling my 360 for a PS3. I've just been getting bored of the 360, and what really does it for me is that I just graduated college and now that I'm at home, I don't have my 360 connected through an ethernet cable and don't wish to spend $100 on a wireless adapter. I'd be selling the 20GB 360 with 2 controllers, c.1200 Microsoft points, Guitar Hero: World Tour (2 guitars), Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, F.E.A.R., Resident Evil 5, Mirror's Edge, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Hitman: Blood Money, The Orange Box, and Madden '09. While I'm at it, I was wondering how much you guys would value this bundle at. I've never actually been a huge fan of the Playstation controllers, but it's not an issue that is a decision-maker for me. It's just that I've already bought or rented all the XBox-only games and I haven't really been impressed with a lot of them. Not to say they were bad, but they weren't good enough to warrant me having bought this system in the first place (I was torn between buying a 360 and a PS3 and went with the 360 because I could buy more games at the time of purchase). It's not that I'm not happy with the 360 either; if I don't see myself getting a reasonable amount of money for this bundle, I'm not going for the PS3 anyways. Also take into account that I split GH with my sister, so I owe her $50 bucks if I do sell my 360. Thanks a lot for your guys' opinions!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Uhhhhhh...$300 maybe?

vitadellajan

PS3 or XBox360?

Postby vitadellajan » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 am UTC

I am thinking of buying one of them but i dont know which one to get. I am used to the playstation paddles. I know Xbox has Halo which is a plus for that. But I also want to use it as a computor in my bedroom. So which ever one is better at online. Just give me your reasons why you like one of them.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: PS3 or XBox360?

Postby aion7 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

If you want to use it as a computer, what you want is a computer. It acts as a computer perfectly, as well as having a much larger catalog of games than either of the systems mentioned.

For ST, The PS3 would seem to be the better choice for quirky games like LittleBigPlanet and 3D Dot Game Heroes.
Last edited by aion7 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:34 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

MisterCheif

Re: PS3 or XBox360?

Postby MisterCheif » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:41 am UTC

I would say, if you want to use it as a computer, just get a computer. Even though the PS3 has a web browser, navigating it with a control is not to easy. Just build your own gaming PC. It is still more expensive than buying either a 360 or a PS3, but will open up opportunities to play a lot more games.

If you are intent on buying a console, I'd say 360, because a) you shouldn't be using a game console for internet browsing anyway, that's just stupid, and b) Xbox 360 has more games. And better online, despite the price tag. You pay for what you get... Oh, and c) I have an extreme dislike of Playstations, especially the controllers. So, you can completely disregard this second paragraph if you feel it is too biased.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Endless Mike

Re: PS3 vs Xbox360

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

You can plug a USB mouse and keyboard into a PS3 making the browsing fine, I guess (although it seems awfully slow for some reason when I bother to use it). You can also install Linux on the big models.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

Oh, crap.. forgot to say. I got a PS3 and have been enjoying it for three months or something.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:43 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:You can plug a USB mouse and keyboard into a PS3 making the browsing fine, I guess (although it seems awfully slow for some reason when I bother to use it). You can also install Linux on the big models.
I did this. It is pretty awesome... For about a day. I was all like, this will be awesome, I will use it all the time. That was before I came to my senses and realized that I can just use my laptop, and plug it into my TV...
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:45 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not saying it's the best solution and it's definitely not a replacement for an actual computer, but it's certainly an acceptable internet browsing solution if looking at the internet on your TV is important. It's also a really good media player. It's kind of strange, since the XMB is a really great interface for putting lots of stuff in, but it's really not very conducive to actually playing games.

febsampen

Postby febsampen » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:28 am UTC

i would go for the ps3 for these reasons: It has built in wifi so you wouldn't need to connect it directly to an Ethernet cable if you have a wireless router. The PSN (playstation Network) is free to all playstation owners, and is great for online play. also the psn has the playstation store which is great for downloading free demos, videos, trailers, wallpapers and themes and psn games which only cost you little. Go and search more on the internet, many websites should have discounts in xmas time.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:51 am UTC

febsampen wrote:i would go for the ps3 for these reasons: It has built in wifi so you wouldn't need to connect it directly to an Ethernet cable if you have a wireless router.

That may be a benefit, if you have no other choice. But left up to me, wireless networking is the most evil thing ever.
febsampen wrote:also the psn has the playstation store which is great for downloading free demos, videos, trailers, wallpapers and themes and psn games which only cost you little.

...and the 360 has the Live Marketplace, what's your point? If you're going to try to list things that make it better, try listing things that make it better, not things that are nearly identical in functionality.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:16 pm UTC

Most demos (all?) on XBL require a gold membership, which isn't free.

That said, XBL's system is so much better for actual gaming. PSN is just weird and it's almost uncommon for people to have headsets.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Most demos (all?) on XBL require a gold membership, which isn't free.

Nope, they're just gold exclusive for the first week.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:01 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Most demos (all?) on XBL require a gold membership, which isn't free.

That said, XBL's system is so much better for actual gaming. PSN is just weird and it's almost uncommon for people to have headsets.

And here in Ireland, anyway, the PSN is horribly laggy. To the point where it is worse than the Dreamcast in my opinion.

Which by the way, comes pretty high on my comfortable controllers list.

And on my car:

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

I can only assume that is a poorly-constructed troll since the PS3 does everything you mentioned.

Personally, I keep waiting for a spam signature to appear, or the post to get edited with links to h3rb4l c14lis. -ST

Return to “Gaming”