Wesnoth 1.6!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

negatron

Wesnoth 1.6!

Postby negatron » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 am UTC

http://www.wesnoth.org/

Another year, another major release of Wesnoth. Much has changes, and most of the add-ons for 1.4 manage to work fairly well.

If you're not familiar, it is a strategy game with single and more importantly multiplayer components. It's free so you have nothing to lose giving it a go if you have not already.
I shouldn't say anything bad about calculus, but I will - Gilbert Strang

Gunfingers

Re: Wesnoth 1.6!

Postby Gunfingers » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm UTC

Ooh! I loved Battle for Wesnoth! The upgrading of units was cool as hell. Did they ever come out with an undead campaign that isn't super-hard? I'm not actually very good at the game, but i like the idea of playing as undead.

negatron

Postby negatron » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

I have no idea, I'm only in it for the multiplayer. I don't know how many campaigns there were in 1.4 but there are 14 stock campaigns now, so that should keep you busy.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

I really think they should have held back the art style change until the next release. It looks really weird with realistic elves talking to a cartoon Orc.

I've never played multiplayer, but I do enjoy the campaigns. Steer clear of the desert-future-elf one- it's really hard and completely different to the other ones.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:48 pm UTC

Sweet. I haven't played Wesnoth in like 2 years. I'll pull it down and give it another go.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Serrin

Postby Serrin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Do I still have to install a zillionty .dlls and code Hello World in Brainfuck before I'm allowed to play?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 pm UTC

If you're trying to ask if it's an install.exe that you run and it does all the stuff in the background for you - that's how 1.4 was when I installed it and I don't see that 1.6 would be any different.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:41 pm UTC

Damn you, negatron! I have Family and Friends and School! I like to see and speak to them occasionally! But now I caaaa-an't!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

negatron

Postby negatron » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:56 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:Damn you, negatron! I have Family and Friends and School! I like to see and speak to them occasionally! But now I caaaa-an't!

This was my initial concern. It turns out that Wesnoth is a suitable replacement for these things.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:19 am UTC

So, what's the deal? Anyone wanna run down the basics for people too lazy to read through the site?

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:22 am UTC

Apparently, it's a strategy game with single and more importantly multiplayer components.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:46 am UTC

Interesting. Yet slightly racist.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:59 am UTC

Man, what do you know? You probably think that Obama's racist, and that cats aren't demonspawn.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

It's also got a pretty sweet upgrade system where your units level up into new classes as they go along. It's got a branching structure, so most of the time you're choosing between 2 or more classes per upgrade.

Plus it even tells you when you cheat! Well, not directly, but it *does* keep track of your *expected* damage dealt/taken, and how much you've *actually* dealt/taken. My number is typically substantially higher for the first and lower for the second, because I'm a damn dirty savescummer.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:44 pm UTC

A bit of a necro, but just wanted to say that I recently found out about this game and have been enjoying the hell out of it. I also just found out that there is an iPhone version of the game out, that's basically identical to the PC one. It's on sale for new years also, if anyone is interested, got it for 2 bucks.

I haven't played a game that sated my turn based strategy fix this good in a long time.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:11 pm UTC

See, I downloaded it and played the first few modules, then got bored. I realized that I liked Fantasy General way more, and went back to that.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:04 am UTC

I'm told the multiplayer is what the serious fans really like about it, but I can't say I've tried it myself - I'm pretty awful at the campaigns; I'd just be terrible at MP...

Looks like a new release - 1.8 - is going to be out pretty soon too.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:23 am UTC

Hmm, prior to now the art style has been putting me off. I need get around to trying it now. Zhaytee does some of the music, so that's a plus.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Rockberry

Postby Rockberry » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:Interesting. Yet slightly racist.

What?

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 am UTC

This game is the reason that I failed my first semester of college. Now I'm downloading it again. Heaven help me.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

1.8 is out!

Features a bunch of tweaks, a few new traits, and a new campaign to enjoy.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

If you have any friends who are strategy fans, this is a great game for 1v1 duels in multiplayer. A lot of really complex strategy you can get into, and its fairly easy to learn the rules.

Goldstein

Re: Wesnoth 1.8!

Postby Goldstein » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

Is there a good central location where I can find multiplayer scenarios for download?

A year or two back, I played a 6-player multiplayer game with a friend in which the tiny map was divided into six sections, completely cut off by cave walls. Neither of us were clear on what we were to do, except that we each had a tile immediately behind our base marked with something like 'Put unit here'. Like good sports, we each moved a unit onto our respective tiles. At the end of the turn, that unit was consumed and copied into each other player's sector, on a computer-controlled team. It was a choice between saving your units to hold off the spawning army or throwing more in with the hope that your opponents wouldn't be able to deal with them.

As I recall, we had it on some sort of 'Insane' setting where each spawned unit required a random amount of XP to level up. I put through a Heavy Infantryman and he spawned in each other player's sector requiring only 3XP to level. I almost won because of him. Overall, good fun was had by all and I'd really like to download it onto my own machine to play again, if I can track it down.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

EmptySet

Re: Wesnoth 1.8!

Postby EmptySet » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:14 am UTC

Goldstein wrote:Is there a good central location where I can find multiplayer scenarios for download?

You're aware of the add-on server, right? If not, click "add-ons" on the main menu. If that doesn't work for some reason you can also access the (1.8.x) add-on server via the web (mouse over the icons to see the description). If you're looking for stuff from a different version just change the number in the URL. Also, note that not every add-on is published on the server (or if it was originally, has not been updated to be compatible with 1.8.x) though most of the decent ones are.

If you're looking specifically for scenarios there is also WSRSW, which tracks statistics for maps and scenarios on the add-on server based on replays from the official server, and also has ratings and stuff.

EDIT: I think the scenario you are looking for is 6p - Sacrificed Survival, which is part of an add-on called "Kato's Mods".

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

That's the one! Thanks, man. I do, of course, know about the add-on server, but it always looked a bit too sparse to contain everything. On top of that, I don't know how to upload my own mods to the add-on server so I expected most would end up elsewhere.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:22 am UTC

Goldstein wrote:On top of that, I don't know how to upload my own mods to the add-on server so I expected most would end up elsewhere.

It's not too difficult, you just need to make a file with some publication information (description, author, etc.) and then you can upload it via the add-ons menu. See here for details.

Most add-ons end up on the add-on server because it's the easiest way for players to find it. Or most of the add-ons I've heard of, anyway, which may be telling in itself.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:02 am UTC

Necro-bump to say that the sole drawback of Wesnoth is its unreasonable reliance on luck, rather than planning and strategy, to determine the outcome of battles.

Why should the game give a unit 70% avoidance in a particular land type instead of, say, -3 damage taken? Averaged out over thousands of the same fights, it evens out... so why go with the option that's horribly inconsistent in individual fights?

A lot of the units are balanced around high avoidance, which doesn't work at all if the random number generator decides it doesn't like you (30% chance of FUCK YOU.)

Yeah, they've got this thing about "well if you're playing right it shouldn't matter much," but I can tell you that there are situations in nearly every campaign on hard settings where you don't have the OPTION of simply zerging down your enemy with superior forces - you'll run out of time, you can't get enough income, etc. This was especially aggravating on a specific human campaign where you were had to go inside a cave complex to chase down a necromancer dude. It's in a cave, so all of your human and elf dudes don't get good movement or avoidance abilities, you're very pressed for time, and all of your enemies are skeletons and undead creatures. Because the game uses a light/dark system where Lawful units perform better in day than night (they get bonuses during the day and penalties at night), and this is reversed for Chaotic undead units, you're also fighting an uphill battle - in addition to having a bonus to their attacks (and your units suffering a penalty to theirs), the enemy also doesn't have to be concerned with time limits and also has much better movement.

It's further exacerbated by the fact that while you can use Neutral elf units (they don't get penalties or bonuses regardless of time of day), the majority of their damage is of the piercing variety, which skeletons and wraiths quite understandably have a strong resistance to (and, predictably, don't fare so well against maces and staves.)

I just simply don't understand why they chose to go with such a pointless, random system instead of a system that rewards superior planning and strategy. You could end up with a heavy infantryman (who has really lousy avoidance everywhere) end up trashing a whole pile of elves in a forest (elves get extremely high avoidance in forests, naturally) simply because of dumb luck. Likewise, you could have an elf in a forest lose horribly despite having a major avoidance advantage... again, due to dumb luck.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:Why should the game give a unit 70% avoidance in a particular land type instead of, say, -3 damage taken? Averaged out over thousands of the same fights, it evens out... so why go with the option that's horribly inconsistent in individual fights?

Completely deterministic damage would result in substantially different gameplay. The introduction of random factors means the game requires risk evaluation and mitigation strategies, since players can't plan out exactly how their turn (and quite possibly several turns after) would run. Removing randomness would also change the balance of the game considerably; it would make units with multiple strikes universally worse than units with a single strike, and influence the use of many specials (eg. poison and slow always work, ability to throw charging units around more because you know they will kill before the enemy can retaliate, beserk is either a definite kill or definite loss, similar for plague). Determinism may also make the game less dynamic, since you could calculate exactly how many kills / how much damage you'll deal in advance and refuse to engage unless the numbers are clearly in your favour. I'm not saying such a game couldn't work, but it would be a very different game with a very different playstyle.

Yeah, they've got this thing about "well if you're playing right it shouldn't matter much," but I can tell you that there are situations in nearly every campaign on hard settings where you don't have the OPTION of simply zerging down your enemy with superior forces - you'll run out of time, you can't get enough income, etc. This was especially aggravating on a specific human campaign where you were had to go inside a cave complex to chase down a necromancer dude. It's in a cave, so all of your human and elf dudes don't get good movement or avoidance abilities, you're very pressed for time, and all of your enemies are skeletons and undead creatures. Because the game uses a light/dark system where Lawful units perform better in day than night (they get bonuses during the day and penalties at night), and this is reversed for Chaotic undead units, you're also fighting an uphill battle - in addition to having a bonus to their attacks (and your units suffering a penalty to theirs), the enemy also doesn't have to be concerned with time limits and also has much better movement.

It's further exacerbated by the fact that while you can use Neutral elf units (they don't get penalties or bonuses regardless of time of day), the majority of their damage is of the piercing variety, which skeletons and wraiths quite understandably have a strong resistance to (and, predictably, don't fare so well against maces and staves.)

That particular case would be a scenario/campaign design issue, rather than a problem with the defence system itself. If you had a purely deterministic system, all your units would just do virtually no damage instead, and it would still be frustrating. Also, managing the randomness doesn't always come down to "simply zerging your enemy with superior forces". Indeed, in most scenarios that's the AI's strategy, because it doesn't understand strategic play as well as a human and gets a massive resource advantage to compensate for its poor play.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

I have to agree; the random element and how you're going to deal with the possible consequences is what makes the game, and I won't hear a word against it.

Personally, I take much greater issue with the level-up mechanic, in which a single unit can beat ridiculous odds so as to narrowly avoid dying and instead become hugely more powerful, turning the tide of a battle that was virtually lost. What's worse is that you can't really react to it. If there's an enemy unit with good evasion standing on 1 hitpoint and 3XP away from levelling up, you've really got to finish it off before it skirmishes away to a village or takes out one of your low-health dudes. But once you've started attacking it and your first two creatures haven't managed to land a hit, you're forced to continue the fight on your own terms, knowing that it's moments away from becoming powerful enough to take down the three injured units you've now stood next to it.

That said, it's still Wesnoth. What a game.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:55 pm UTC

This was especially aggravating on a specific human campaign where you were had to go inside a cave complex to chase down a necromancer dude. It's in a cave, so all of your human and elf dudes don't get good movement or avoidance abilities, you're very pressed for time, and all of your enemies are skeletons and undead creatures. Because the game uses a light/dark system where Lawful units perform better in day than night (they get bonuses during the day and penalties at night), and this is reversed for Chaotic undead units, you're also fighting an uphill battle

Depending on which campaign you're referring to, you either have footpads or heavy soldiers available to you (or both, it's been a while) -- not only do these units have impact damage which is great against undead, but footpads have good mobility and evasion (and damage being Chaotic), while heavy infantry can be fearless (no nighttime penalty -- worlds better than Strong, imo) and has good defenses against basic skeleton damage of blade/pierce. And, campaign permitting, there's a vial of holy water just waiting for your spearman to pick up for use against the undead.

The random element is wonderful far more often than not and upsets are supposed to happen to cause you to try and quickly fix a hole in the line or beatback someone or fail to zerg down a boss and lose a unit because of it. Damage modification is already present on most units -- can you seriously imagine a Drawven Guard, who already has like 20% defense against most things, with steadfast, in the mountains? The AI wouldn't even try to attack him. Meanwhile, many of the high-evasion units (thieves/assassins/etc) are weak to most forms of physical damage which is why they have 70% evasion in the first place. It's annoying when you're on the receiving end of a multi-horseman charge or multi-dwarven thunderer barrage, but in many cases prevention is better than treatment; don't expose yourself to such advances in the first place.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

There are several things that pushed me off in Wesnoth. High random-dependence and level-up bonuses being one, but the evasion (elven evasion mainly) was probably the worst.
Elves are weak (hp),
have mostly pierce/blade dmg (game treats blunt almost as special kind of dmg and pierce/blade turn out to be normal/weaker than any other kind),
have weak defence (resistance in %%%)

on the other hand they have:
speed(laughable)
evasion (as mentioned faulty and may destroy most well thought out plans) which applies only in the forest areas, which are like... I can't remember but 5-10% of the randomly generated map? (*)
These are SPOTS of trees - not forests. This is meant to be a counterbalance for elves, but in such setting it makes any manoeuvring just tiresome.
*) - I can't remember what the actual percentage was, I only remember that whatever it was too low by like 5-10 times.

Oh, and guess who's going to be more likely to level up: high hp & high resistance & low avoidance unit OR low hp & low resistance & high avoidance unit? And even if they level which of them gains more (hp)?

Another thing is the amount of attacks. I think increasing the amount of attacks and lowering dmg per attack would solve MANY of these problems (or additionally increasing amount of hp of all units by an equal amount). All units should have like 5 attacks on average. None (or small number of them) should have 1 or 2. Eight, ten or twelve should be more present. This would make the random-dependent one-hit-or-miss action much less irritating without the need to change the avoidance system.
(this would make the distribution of dmg much closer to the expected value)
Last edited by Yubtzock on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

What? Elves are like the best faction. It sounds as though you're keen on everything about the Drakes, which is fine, they exist as a faction you can play if you like. They've got nothing on the Elves though.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:06 pm UTC

Well way to go, assholes, you got me to download Wesnoth again. Jerks. Reminding me how much I like this game. The gall, really!

It's past 1.8 now, btw, someone should probably change the thread title.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:What? Elves are like the best faction. It sounds as though you're keen on everything about the Drakes, which is fine, they exist as a faction you can play if you like. They've got nothing on the Elves though.

I haven't played it for a while, but I don't think it has changed that much and from what I can remember Drakes were a bit OP even against elves with their bows (pierce). :|

I simply don't like the fact that all those fantastic tactics&strategies you could come up with having more reliant high-level units are going to waste, when 80% of time 90% of your units are 1lvl.
System with dmg of one engagement being 30-80% of unit's hp, with 25% of your line units being wiped out/replenished turn after turn does not seem interesting. Not, when there are so many high level units with unique abilities you might use to spice up the gameplay!(They've even added one nation/side in 1.9! It's kinda desert clone of Loyalists with the 1lvl healer instead of mage and fire dmg archer
Edit:(and a ton of generic & linear higher-lvled units - it says something about the way the high-lvl units are perceived, doesn't it.))

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:51 am UTC

philsov wrote:
This was especially aggravating on a specific human campaign where you were had to go inside a cave complex to chase down a necromancer dude. It's in a cave, so all of your human and elf dudes don't get good movement or avoidance abilities, you're very pressed for time, and all of your enemies are skeletons and undead creatures. Because the game uses a light/dark system where Lawful units perform better in day than night (they get bonuses during the day and penalties at night), and this is reversed for Chaotic undead units, you're also fighting an uphill battle

Depending on which campaign you're referring to, you either have footpads or heavy soldiers available to you (or both, it's been a while) -- not only do these units have impact damage which is great against undead, but footpads have good mobility and evasion (and damage being Chaotic), while heavy infantry can be fearless (no nighttime penalty -- worlds better than Strong, imo) and has good defenses against basic skeleton damage of blade/pierce. And, campaign permitting, there's a vial of holy water just waiting for your spearman to pick up for use against the undead.

The random element is wonderful far more often than not and upsets are supposed to happen to cause you to try and quickly fix a hole in the line or beatback someone or fail to zerg down a boss and lose a unit because of it. Damage modification is already present on most units -- can you seriously imagine a Drawven Guard, who already has like 20% defense against most things, with steadfast, in the mountains? The AI wouldn't even try to attack him. Meanwhile, many of the high-evasion units (thieves/assassins/etc) are weak to most forms of physical damage which is why they have 70% evasion in the first place. It's annoying when you're on the receiving end of a multi-horseman charge or multi-dwarven thunderer barrage, but in many cases prevention is better than treatment; don't expose yourself to such advances in the first place.

It was a human campaign, where you have elf buddies with you. You chase a dude into a castle, turns out the castle has a cave in it, and like all brilliant strategists, you immediately chase the big bad into his lair without any forethought or planning.

You had cavalry units (knights use swords, not maces), elf units (arrows and swords), and then your heroes. You had a cleric hero who can easily eliminate most of the enemies in a one on one (mace for melee and a ranged spell attack that does extra vs undead), but he's also your primary healer and isn't really a tank. The melee hero had a mace, but again... you can't send in one unit to fight ten - the odds are too stacked. You could eventually swing down and make friends with some trolls (who all have blunt attacks), at which point things got considerably easier... but you have to get there with enough time left to reach and kill the big bad, and preferably without losing any of your leveled units (you want to be throwing new units into the meatgrinder, not high level ones.) I beat it, but it took numerous retries and several points where I quit playing for a couple of weeks.

I'll have to give Wesnoth a try in multiplayer. I expect the random element will be much less important there, due to the fact that against a human opponent (which won't have an unfair resource advantage) having a sound strategy will generally be the deciding factor, more than random chance. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:30 am UTC

Yubtzock wrote:There are several things that pushed me off in Wesnoth. High random-dependence and level-up bonuses being one, but the evasion (elven evasion mainly) was probably the worst.
Elves are weak (hp),
have mostly pierce/blade dmg (game treats blunt almost as special kind of dmg and pierce/blade turn out to be normal/weaker than any other kind),
have weak defence (resistance in %%%)

on the other hand they have:
speed(laughable)
evasion (as mentioned faulty and may destroy most well thought out plans) which applies only in the forest areas, which are like... I can't remember but 5-10% of the randomly generated map? (*)
These are SPOTS of trees - not forests. This is meant to be a counterbalance for elves, but in such setting it makes any manoeuvring just tiresome.
*) - I can't remember what the actual percentage was, I only remember that whatever it was too low by like 5-10 times.

Firstly, random maps are generally unbalanced. If you're looking for a balanced experience, you'll want to use a proper map. Which isn't Isar's Cross, since it's too small to be balanced.

Also, there's nothing wrong with elves. If the amount of forest were increased by 5 - 10 times, they'd would be ridiculously overpowered. Between skilled players, Rebels are already an equal (or near-equal) match for the other factions, and they're also considered relatively easy to learn (with Drakes generally being regarded as the most difficult, if I recall correctly). They've got a lot of advantages - good movement, their main fighter is cheap and effective, the ability to pick off melee units with all their ranged attacks, access to both healing and slow on a cheap L1 unit. They are a bit fragile outside forests, but they have to have some weakness. If you don't like their playstyle, you can always choose a different faction.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:It was a human campaign, where you have elf buddies with you. You chase a dude into a castle, turns out the castle has a cave in it, and like all brilliant strategists, you immediately chase the big bad into his lair without any forethought or planning.

The campaign is called "The South Guard". It was the first one I did after re-downloading the game. I was just about to start that level when I read your post, so I was a tad tense going in. Imagine my surprise when, despite being on the campaign's highest difficulty, I beat the level with fairly minimal difficulty.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:21 am UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:It was a human campaign, where you have elf buddies with you. You chase a dude into a castle, turns out the castle has a cave in it, and like all brilliant strategists, you immediately chase the big bad into his lair without any forethought or planning.

The campaign is called "The South Guard". It was the first one I did after re-downloading the game. I was just about to start that level when I read your post, so I was a tad tense going in. Imagine my surprise when, despite being on the campaign's highest difficulty, I beat the level with fairly minimal difficulty.

Who knows? Maybe they've tuned it since I played it a year or two ago. I know it was ridiculously hard for me when I did it - elves couldn't really stand up to the skeletons efficiently, none of the human units were any better (I know for a fact that thieves and heavy infantrymen were NOT available), and the time limit prevented me from simply throwing a bunch of level 1 units into the meatgrinder as I worked my way to the trolls.

I ended up beating it by mostly using my cleric hero to do most of the fighting for me, and supporting him with elf fighters when he needed to take a step back to heal up before proceeding to massacre skeletons again.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

I've just started with this game and am enjoying it a lot.
However, I'm completely stuck on general strategy for Elves vs Skeletons.
I'm in a scenario (Either the first campaign, or South Guard, i cant remember!) about 5 levels in, where theres a bandity town to the south and a skeleton town to the east.
You gotta "clear the level" and also "escort elven fairy to some place"

So the first wave of skeletons from the east come in and wipe me out every time. I can handle 1 or 2 with my priest and fairy, but 4 or 5 at once and i have no idea how to tactically defeat them. My archers/spearmen and horsemen all suck vs skeletons. I've got a couple of upgraded archers which are ok, but not great. Plenty of forest to hide in, but this doesnt seem to help much.

Any advice? Apart from "read the wiki and get better noob"?

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:00 am UTC

It'd be helpful to know what campaign you're in so we have a better idea of what you have available. I think you're describing South Guard because it sounds like the level where there are two undead bases and one bandit base. The black river, I think it's called.

Thing one: when you first see the bandit base you'll be given the option of accepting the help of the bandits. If you do all the elves will leave, but you'll get bandits. Bandits do impact damage (which is great against skeletons) and are chaotic so your army will be somewhat effective at night.

Also, in Battle for Wesnoth campaigns you have to think not only about beating the level you're playing, but preparing for the next level as well. It's entirely possibly to be unable to win the level you're on because you lost too many troops two or three levels ago. So you may want to go back a few levels and focus on leveling up. Get your spearmen turned into swordsmen (they do okay damage to skeletons) and your horsemen into knights and, if you can, turn those knights into paladins. Paladins rock balls against undead.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Return to “Gaming”