Erepublik

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Draaglom

Erepublik

Postby Draaglom » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:47 am UTC

I bring you a moderately interesting internet game today - Erepublik.

It's a browser-game developed by a team of Romanians, and is styled as 'the new world' - essentially, it aims to create a minimalistic and somewhat abstracted representation of real-life countries and let people go from there, shaping the future of the world as politicians, soldiers, businessmen or a mixture of the above.

Some fun trivia:
- Last year, the USA invaded Canada. They failed miserably though.
- A few months back there was a mighty clash in France in which the allied invading forces of the UK, Canada, the US and Spain were beaten back by France and its allies.
- There are two superpowers in the Erepublik world - Indonesia and Romania. While the US is the biggest population-wise, it is far from the strongest.
There are two ex- superpowers too; Sweden was a major world power for a while, as was Pakistan. (Or, as it was colloquially known, /V/akistan)
- Romania is on the warpath and is currently invading Maharashtra, India (which is currently occupied by Indonesia). Indeed, for the time being Romania owns half of China.

As far as I can tell, the pros to the game:
- Can be played in fifteen minutes a day. Apparently.
- Invading places for the fun of it.
- You can become Congressman or President of your country
- Out of game forums add some extra life to the game
- Political intrigue, yay.
- Different to other 'persistent browser-games' out there
- Some of the problems below are being rectified. Gradually.

And the cons:
- As a fifteen-minute-a-day game, it can be boring
- Oh my god this is the buggiest game I've ever played
- Political system is the American one - that's the only option, no matter what country or party you're in
- Really, it's very buggy
- Highly abstracted and simplified economic model ingame makes no sense at times
- Development is sometimes slow or even backwards.
- Did I mention the bugs?
- The way the game mechanics work, countries tend to gravitate back towards their original owners, meaning it's more boring and similar to the real world.
- In game 'gold' can be purchased with real money

So, yeah, it's quite fun and you should give it a go*. If you can stand the bugs. And [the 25th] is congressional election day, don't miss the fun!

*If you're a really nice person, pm me with an email address so I can invite you - that way I get an ingame bonus. But that's only if you want to.
Last edited by Draaglom on Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:05 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Vertana

Re: Erepublik

Postby Vertana » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

This sounds very interesting, I'll be sure to check this out. Thank you!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:53 am UTC

Looks cool actually.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Looks cool actually.

<brag>Especially when you're getting elected as Congressman for wales!</brag>
Yeah, looking you up, I forgot to mention that that Australia is mostly occupied by Indonesia.
I just spent all my money on weapons to help defend Croatia from Hungary, but when I have some cash tomorrow I'll send you some food to help you get started.

Some tips for starting out:
Get a job immediately. The lower quality the better, at your level, as the quality level of the company is the amount of wellness that gets deducted each time you work - and at skill 0 the wages aren't going to be great, so you might not be able to afford food to keep you healthy if you work Q3+ at first.
If possible, work for thirty days in a row. That way you get a five gold bonus, which is much greater than your wages.

That's all I can think of, for now.

Vertana, I can't find you in game. What's your username?

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:33 am UTC

It's cool, food seems to be pretty cheap here. And yeah, when signing up to Australia it told me that Indonesia had annexed all our shit. Apparently discussions are going on atm to retrieve them.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Azukius

Postby Azukius » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:43 am UTC

Hey, just joined, any tips?
Don't like evil dinasours in hats who delete accounts. :(. not cool.
Live in NZ? Don't like the Government? Change it!

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

I've PM'd you asking for the link, I guess I'll see you in game. Is it better to be powerful in a small country, or not so powerful in a large country?

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:11 pm UTC

Azukius wrote:Hey, just joined, any tips?

As you're in the UK, you can apply for our 'wellness fast' programme once you get to the level you can fight, which will be in a few days to a weeks' time. PM your nearest NHS organisation (search for them) and ask them to sign up for it. They'll give you two moving tickets for you to fly out to Romania (-1 wellness), fight once in their war (-10 wellness), use a quality 5 hospital (+50 wellness) and fly back again (-1 wellness) resulting in +38 wellness for you, at no cost to you.

For non-UKers, you can do something similar, but you'll need to earn your own cash to pay for the moving tickets.

Edit: Another tip that may seem obvious: NEVAR EVAR pay for the 'unlock all features' or 'extra storage' packages they push on you. You'll never use the extra storage, and the features get unlocked pretty quickly as you gain exp. Also, the gold they sell is generally a ripoff, as you get awarded 5 gold each time you get a medal.

Azukius

Postby Azukius » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 am UTC

umm, how do i find an nhs? I searched but it came back with "too amany results"
Don't like evil dinasours in hats who delete accounts. :(. not cool.
Live in NZ? Don't like the Government? Change it!

Oppenheimer

eRepublik

Postby Oppenheimer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Its an online rpg, economics-politics-oriented.

Instead of creating your character to become the most powerful warrior or wizard, you create it to become the country's president, or prime minister, or a media mogul, or senator..you get the idea.

my name in-game is Diego Katabian, I live in Argentina (yes, you live in you real life country, or wherever you want).

Hope you enjoy it.
If you have any questions, ask me, i'll help you.

Have you met my friend C20H25ON3?

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:31 pm UTC

I'm a farming guy in Washington, USA. Not really sure what else to do.

frogman

Postby frogman » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:04 am UTC

I joined. I'm in Canada, because Canada is awesome, in an area controlled by the UK, because the UK is awesome.
yeah yeah yeah

Woxor

Postby Woxor » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

*Shameless plug for the eUSA below*

I just got into this game, and it's really interesting. For all the USA xkcdians (usaxkcdians?), we at the eUSA are kind of in an embarrassing situation right now, but not nearly as much as we were recently. We were occupied by Russia, Indonesia, and I think Portugal, in every state except one. Now we've recovered most of our territory, but Hungary (easily the most powerful country in the eWorld right now) still occupies Washington state and Alaska (and Saskatchewan and Manitoba). We recently tried to help liberate Canada's territories, but we came up short.

So if you're interested in bolstering the economic and military strength of the fake US, join us today! (Full disclosure: if you sign up through that link in particular, it counts as me inviting you, so I get 5 gold when you reach Level 6. If that offends you, you can sign up on your own instead.) Be sure to join in California. If you go anywhere but California or Florida, you can't fight effectively in wars, which makes the game way less fun. California is preferred because it's currently the more vulnerable of the two states.

For new players, the eUS government has a program called Meals on Wheels, where you can get free food, which helps at the beginning of the game. There are also a lot of good resources for new players, and the eUSA forums are a good place to find extra info.

When you join up, send me a PM (Woxor) if you have any questions, though like I said I'm new, too. Also, if you sign up to work at a company and they can't pay you, it's a trap: resign immediately and find another job (the Russians are scamming our noobs out of work).

Return to “Gaming”