PSP GO!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

PSP GO!

Postby Babam » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:31 am UTC

A new PSP model has been announced, I for one think it looks great.

16 gigs internal storage, Bluetooth, and the all so awesome new form factor.

http://kotaku.com/5273302/portable-size ... easures-up

http://kotaku.com/5273232/official-psp- ... ed/gallery
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

phider2

Re: PSP GO!

Postby phider2 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

I think it looks a bit uncomfortable. The original/slim PSPs were fine, IMO. It doesn't really need to be any smaller. But that's good for me, because if I want to buy an original/slim it'll be cheaper.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

I hate the original PSP's formfactor, the PSP Go looks like it should be fine to hold. Sadly it won't cause a price drop, because it has no UMD drive it won't drop the price of the PSP's that have UMD drives. :C
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

I guess that's neat. I like my PSP (slimmer variant), but think that's neat.

But... When will they learn making sleeker slimmer variants of handholds != making awesomer more fun games!!! PSP has a SERIOUS shortage of good games.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Really? Maybe I've just had good luck. So far all the PSP games I've boughten I've enjoyed greatly and thought they were good games. Little Big Planet on the PSP is looking good.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

phider2

Postby phider2 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:20 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:PSP has a SERIOUS shortage of good games.

Doesn't the homebrew make up for that? Really the biggest reason I want a PSP is so I can immediately unlock it and play NES*/SNES/N64/PS1/run Mac OS 7/Windows 95/linux/etc.

*I haven't actually seen NES on PSP, but I haven't been looking, and if there's SNES/N64 it has to exist.

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

I don't like this that much. Sure, the 16 gigs of storage is nice, but if it can't play the UMD games I have, I see no reason to buy it.

Regarding the so-called "shortage of good games", I don't think it's that the PSP games that are released aren't good, it's just that there aren't that many games released for the system. From the things I've read about new PSP games being announced at E3, it looks like there are some pretty good games coming out relatively soon (including a Rock Band game next week, a SoulCalibur game heavily based off of 4 coming out in September, Assassin's Creed 2, and Socom Fireteam Bravo 3).

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

$249 price tag, up from $169 at present...
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

Munzapoppa wrote:pretty good games coming out relatively soon .

None of the games you listed are either 1) originals or 2) sound like they'll be playable on a handheld console.

I've enjoyed playing the SO's and FFT and Disgaea on a handheld, but the rest of the PSP RPGs are boring and crappy, and CERTAINLY not originals. By all means, recommend me some games.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

phider2 wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:PSP has a SERIOUS shortage of good games.

Doesn't the homebrew make up for that? Really the biggest reason I want a PSP is so I can immediately unlock it and play NES*/SNES/N64/PS1/run Mac OS 7/Windows 95/linux/etc.

*I haven't actually seen NES on PSP, but I haven't been looking, and if there's SNES/N64 it has to exist.

Nothing faster than Genesis runs particularly well. I mean, unless you enjoy dropping every other frame playing Super Mario World.

The PSP's problem isn't so much the lack of good games, as the lack of good original games that fit within the context a portable. Portables exist for short gaming sessions, so games should be tailored for this. DS developers largely get it, but PSP games are largely just slightly crappier looking PS2 games.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 pm UTC

Portables favor shorter gaming sessions? Like... Those hour long commutes I have daily?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Portables favor shorter gaming sessions? Like... Those hour long commutes I have daily?

Yes, exactly.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:49 am UTC

Monster Hunter!!!

Hmm it seems they released a new one since last time I checked. I guess I gotta dust off my PSP again.

I suppose a little more discription might help if you've never actually played it. It's a FPS but with swords and you fight huge beasts that will easily run you down and destroy you if you are not careful. The gameplay focuses on learning your opponents moves and habits, bringing the right gear for the job, and hit and run attacking. Although sometimes if you've got really good gear you can actually go toe to toe with the beast. What's really fun is there is that it is just you verses one (or two) huge scary monsters, and they will cause you to mash the run button while yelling oh shit oh shit oh shit. Finally bringing them down is an awesome moment. And it plays well solo or with a group.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:30 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Nothing faster than Genesis runs particularly well. I mean, unless you enjoy dropping every other frame playing Super Mario World.
Shenanigans.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:36 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Nothing faster than Genesis runs particularly well. I mean, unless you enjoy dropping every other frame playing Super Mario World.
Shenanigans.

That hasn't been my experience.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

I don't actually mind the design of the PSP GO! but jeez Sony, did you have to pick such a horrible name for it?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

ajbleck

Postby ajbleck » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

i'll consider this if the price drops (almost as much as a xbox) and they give me a way to put all my umd games on it without rebuying them again. (also if my ORIGINAL PSP 1000 dies i'll get this)
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:07 am UTC

I'm just going to say, no talking of cracking the PSP. I'm going to end this by saying Yes everything up to n64/ps1 generation can be emulated at full speed.. No more emulating/cracking discussion in this thread. What Babam said. -ST
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

razrsharp67

PSP Go?

Postby razrsharp67 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

I was wondering what all your thoughts were on Sony's new handheld. Anyone have it already? It's a lot of money, so I'm kinda going back and forth on it. I don't have the original PSP, so I don't have any UMDs to carry over. Basically, I'm just worried about the price. Suggestions?

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Re: PSP Go?

Postby Hawknc » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:59 pm UTC

razrsharp67 wrote:I don't have the original PSP, so I don't have any UMDs to carry over.

Not that it matters anyway...
ImageImageImage

lulzfish

Postby lulzfish » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

Original PSP:
Plays UMD games
Can download games

PSP Go:
Can download games
Has silly slider control layout

Get an original PSP and don't look forward back.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:58 pm UTC

Plus, in most cases the UMD's are cheaper than the downloaded versions of the games, if the games are even up there on the marketplace. It IS really pretty though. and I heard the control scheme doesn't play as terrible as it looks
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Axman

Postby Axman » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

And the PSP2000 is ridiculously mod-friendly; honestly, if Sony put any effort into UMD conversion, it'd be a cool little gadget, but they're just not into backing their existing clients. Developers are seeing that, too. Shame, because it's such a capable platform, and it's not like Nintendo gives two shits about hardware development or, like, grownups. And they're stingy with their developer kits.

Apple might have the distribution, but not the interface. Who would have ever thought people would be wishing for Microsoft to swing in to the rescue? They've been so good to gamers over the years...
Max Slowik

wilywes

Postby wilywes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:24 am UTC

No go.
Let's begin.
    -First, the PSP GO has a smaller screen. I'm always for less real estate on a portable system.
    -UMD's are gone. This is obvious, but no backwards compatibility for those already with a PsP. Sony doesn't seem to get that gamers like to play their old games.
    -Proprietary cables! Everybody's favourite. Charging cable, transfer cable? Yup. Your normal mini-USB's don't work.
    -The price. $250. (Keep in mind the PS3 is now $300. Blu-ray etc. More on this in a bit)
    -No graphical improvement. (This point is pretty weak and could be considered moot)
    -Bad control positioning. A sliding screen is interesting. But the implementation just makes it awkward. Your hands are really close. The already small analog stick is even smaller.
    -Game rentals. Not so much a rental, but a temporary purchase. Usually if I want to try out a game, I'll download a demo.
    -Finally, the PSP GO still uses 802.11b. I really hope this last point deters those on the fence. Let me explain: The "old" PSP uses the archaic 802.11b; this system is supposed to be a new, shiny upgrade. Completely reworked. Hence the $100+ price tag over previous models. Why not splurge for at least g? For every game you buy, you have to download (due to the lack of the aforementioned UMD's). Your downloads are not cached or saved in any way. So if you lose connection, too bad. Have fun downloading Gigabytes worth of data multiple times on a b-network.

Be smart. Stick with the PSP you own, or if you are thinking of buying one, go with an older model. They're clearly an upgrade for these.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

You can download the games on your PC or PS3 (provided you have one or the other or both) then transfer them over. You don't have to download every game on the PSP itself. I still wouldn't really recommend a Go to anyone, but at least keep your info straight.

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:50 pm UTC

Which highlights another feature of the PSPX000s, which is that they play all the games available for the PSP GO, too. You don't have to carry around UMDs of those games if you wanted to.
Max Slowik

wilywes

Postby wilywes » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

@Endless Mike
The PSP Go is marketed as an independent entertainment device. It is also based upon portability, where one can just pick it up and go (Hence, not having to carry around UMD's). The fact that it works with a PS3 or PC is great, but it should not be reliant upon either. Again, my main qualm is that it is using 802.11b, which won't hold signal if you just walk around your house.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:06 am UTC

I've heard from reviews that the controls are not as responsive, or at least lack as solid a "feel" as the PSP3000. When, honestly I bough the PSP3000 as a home-based system for playing RPGs (it has more RPGs that are non-360/pc available than the PS3 actually does), thats what is important to me.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:09 pm UTC

wilywes wrote:@Endless Mike
The PSP Go is marketed as an independent entertainment device. It is also based upon portability, where one can just pick it up and go (Hence, not having to carry around UMD's).

What, so the PSP wasn't mobile enough for you? Also, I'm sure there's a way to load the UMD games you already own onto the PSP. And, if you have to download your games onto the PSP Go, then why not just use your PSP?
Spoiler:

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:01 pm UTC

Most people have difficulty fitting the original PSP's in there pocket. The Go is smaller than those by removing the UMD drive and moving the controls into the interior of the handheld, rather than the side of the screen.

wilywes

Postby wilywes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:59 pm UTC

Actually Internetmeme, Sony pulled the plug on that plan before launch. So, unless you live in Europe, (they have an exchange program for certain games) you are straight out of luck. The PSPx000's can download the exact same games the GO can, so there is little reason to buy a GO. (None if you already own a PSP, IMO).

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

Huh, well, without starting a discussion, can you possibly load your UMD games onto the PSP regardless of legality?
Just a yes/no answer is needed, I don't need to know the specifics.
Spoiler:

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

Not without modding the firmware. You can also load PS1 games onto it.
Max Slowik

wilywes

Postby wilywes » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

Yes, it's possible. Like Axman said, you have to use custom firmware.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

But it is possible to mod the firmware?

Also, is it legal to mod the firmware since you own the console?
Spoiler:

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:But it is possible to mod the firmware?

Also, is it legal to mod the firmware since you own the console?

Yes it is possible. Many people here have done it. Its legality is...shady, at best, but it's likely in violation of the DMCA as well as a copyright violation since the custom firmwares are hacked versions of the official firmware. It hasn't been tested in court to my knowledge, however.

Also, it turns out I was wrong. Apparently if you download a game to your PS3 to then copy to your PSP, it gives you an error since Sony made downloads locked to the system it was originally downloaded to. Brilliant work there, Sony!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

Let's move on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:07 am UTC

I bought a PSP Go.

Bad things:
* It's expensive.
* It doesn't play any of the games I've bought (about 25 or so).
* The screen is smaller.
* The battery doesn't last as long (in my experience), and you can't replace it.
* It doesn't use the same memory card as the original.
* The custom USB cable sucks royal ass.

Good things:
* It's very comfortable to play on.
* The clicky buttons are great, and feel a bit like the DSi ones.
* The size is perfect. Fits great in my pocket.
* I love pausing by just closing it.

I almost never use my PSP 1000. I'm not sure why. The games don't have much replay value, and the device is a bit too big to carry around comfortably. I've scratched a few UMDs as well, carrying them around in my pocket with my keys.
Since getting the PSP Go, I've been playing it more or less constantly, mostly Rock Band Unplugged (which is really really good, plays a lot like Amplitude) and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (which confuses me). I don't think it's just the games that make me play it, but the device itself. It feels very gamey, almost like the Nintendo DS(i).
I found the original PSP felt a bit too valuable (which is a bit ironic since they're cheaper than the Go) to carry around without worrying about it all the time.

So my recommendation is:
If you've got plenty of money and don't care about replaying your old games on a new device, get the Go. This is how the PSP should've been from the start (except for the custom USB and the battery).

Armadillo Al

Postby Armadillo Al » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 pm UTC

Notch wrote:I found the original PSP felt a bit too valuable (which is a bit ironic since they're cheaper than the Go) to carry around without worrying about it all the time.

In other words, the PSP GO is better because it's built like crap?
Compiling.. wrote:xkcd... where EVERYONE loves EVERYONE...

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:50 pm UTC

Well, I wouldn't put it like that, but kinda. :-)
It feels more like a solid tool than like a fragile piece of high tech equipment.

Return to “Gaming”