Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Manial

Re: Minecraft

Postby Manial » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:05 pm UTC

I can't find where I read the minecart thing, so I may have imagined that. But here's a source for Ghasts spawning in the normal world.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Fuck I have like two iron blocks total. Who ever has enough spare diamond ore to store them as blocks?
I...have to go now >.>
Spoiler:

In other news, I've been constructing a mighty pirate. However, the sheep have been rather uncooperative with me and construction has halted for now.

Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:No way, where did you read that? That is potentially awesome and uncool at the same time.

I guess having to build some sort of airlock would be interesting.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

Yeah, apparently ghasts will infrequently spawn near to your portal, but not come through it. That may prove interesting indeed :D

Also, has anybody had any experience with the Runecraft mod?There's some great youtube videos linked in the first post of that thread that show the things it can do. Looks like a lot of fun.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:00 pm UTC

THAT IS SO COOL.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

Honestly, the ability to be an awesome wizard and defend my tower/castle against shit (maybe a touch of pissing off local villages) would make Minecraft the only game I would ever need.
The Runecraft system is a nice start but I'd want something more easy to cast on the fly. And decent flying. Also, it's not magic if you can't shoot fireballs.
Did I mention I like wizards?
Ⓞⓞ◯

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:27 pm UTC

The lava lounge is complete! Finally got the design right so that the lava would flow naturally through all the sluices, though some of them had temporary wood plugs in them which the lava would burn through after passing on, ensuring it went both ways at each cross section.

So happy!

Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Coin

Postby Coin » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 pm UTC

Looks excellent!
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:33 pm UTC

Puts my terrarium to shame. Nicely done!
Still haven't found any reeds on my world yet. Also still haven't gotten the first sapling to grow yet, despite giving it a 7x7 square to grow in, 10 blocks tall. *headdesk*
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

Built a mob catching room beneath my house at the end of a long water tunnel. My girlfriend suggested that I should make a huge zoo under the house, including some zombies, but I was sad to learn that my zoo will respawn if I travel too far away.

Oh well, for now I have two very bouncy cows.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:12 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:Puts my terrarium to shame. Nicely done!
Still haven't found any reeds on my world yet. Also still haven't gotten the first sapling to grow yet, despite giving it a 7x7 square to grow in, 10 blocks tall. *headdesk*

Try picking it up and replacing it.

They might decide what they want to be before you plant them, but there's no way (well, surely not...) that they'd remember their preferred tree shape after being incorporated into a stack of identical saplings.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

I have, a couple of times now. On an unrelated note, I went out exploring for caverns, and look what I found:

Spoiler:
convenientmagma.PNG
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:34 pm UTC

According to the wiki, all the space a tree needs to grow is 4 empty blocks above it - you've got plenty of space. Also, to WarDaft, they don't choose a shape until they actually grow.

They do, however, need a lot of light to grow. If it's not in direct sunlight, then you pretty much need a torch immediately beside the sapling for it to have enough light.

They also can take quite a while to grow... they have some internal counter that intermittently goes up, and when it hits 15 it grows. It'll be reset if you uproot the sapling and replant it, and it probably doesn't count if you're far enough away from it for that part of the map to be unloaded. But there's a lot of randomness there... I've had saplings grow within 15 minutes or so, and I've had ones last a couple of days, running for several hours a day, without growing.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:I have, a couple of times now. On an unrelated note, I went out exploring for caverns, and look what I found:

Yep I've got three lava falls like that within a couple minutes walk of my home base. I was pretty suprised to find them but pleasantly so.

Also, your SS looks pretty different from the minecraft I'm playing, are you using a custom theme or something? (the sword for instance and the earth around the lavafall)

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:09 am UTC

It's a custom texture pack a friend showed me. You can make your own here. Most of the options make everything look a little more old-fashioned/realistic.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:56 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Fuck I have like two iron blocks total. Who ever has enough spare diamond ore to store them as blocks?

This makes me wish I had a screenshot of that 4x4x4 stash of diamond blocks I made. Okay, so I cheated for it, but I didn't even make it to use them, just to make a friend of mine angry at the huge stash of diamonds.

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 pm UTC

So like, this game is just sucking up my life. It's like the ultimate procrastination tool!

How do you guys find enough iron to make rails and carts and stuff? It seems like such a rarity. I mean, you mine and mine and mine forever but get so little gold/iron ): Or am I missing something...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:38 pm UTC

Iron is relatively plentiful, compared to diamonds and redstone. It's easiest to find by digging into natural caverns and exploring there - especially if you find a large cavern. It's difficult, sure, but it's not that much harder to find than coal.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:07 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Yeah, apparently ghasts will infrequently spawn near to your portal, but not come through it. That may prove interesting indeed :D

Also, has anybody had any experience with the Runecraft mod?There's some great youtube videos linked in the first post of that thread that show the things it can do. Looks like a lot of fun.

I have been playing with this for the past few hours. I build a wizard tower and a crapload of teleports. Also I made a floating fortress. I want to try out the solar flare but I am afraid of accidentally burning everything down. Maybe I will make some mountains all snowy instead. Why do my sentences seem so choppy.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:36 am UTC

Like I said, I really love the idea of magic, but I think the rune system is too clunky/complicated... Of course, it's quite possible I'll cave and do some more playing with it.
Ⓞⓞ◯

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:10 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I'd assume obsidian is, at least. If you go down there and they destroy your portals, you'd kind of be trapped forever.

Why does being trapped in hell forever sound like an implausible result of tampering with magic?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:50 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:The lava lounge is complete! Finally got the design right so that the lava would flow naturally through all the sluices, though some of them had temporary wood plugs in them which the lava would burn through after passing on, ensuring it went both ways at each cross section.

So happy!
Spoiler:

You can build one of these if you like...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZFmQMuisE8
(Manual switch waterfall curtain. With on/off switch. Only single use so far, as there is no "reset" mechanism available in Minecraft yet, doubt there ever will be. :()
I've not done it with lava yet, but you just swap the water for lava and it's done. I can upload the save if you want to know how it's done.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

Well kinda interesting but it seems like you could accomplish something similar using a door and switch system?

besides, the lava takes FOREVER to get anywhere so that would be a little inefficient *L*

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

AFAIK the current build does not allow for any part (doors or whatever) to effect water or lava. Hopefully it will in the updates.

I suppose it would take about 30 to 60 seconds with lava. :P
The water trigger, if made straight (unlike mine which goes around my entire bases) would take about the same time.

You could also use a fully sand triggered system. Put sand down on a torch. Then put a torch on that sand, and sand on the torch. Repeat until you reach your distination. It goes in a diagonal line, but once you hit the first torch it falls almost instantly. A 16 bit adder was done similarly in the old Alpha (without torches, but using sand) and it worked in under a second.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:14 am UTC

So, it might just be speculation at this point, but how do you figure the warping will work? Apparently, moving a block in any direction in "hell" is like moving 16 on "earth".

Let's say you create a portal, move one space, create another portal, and your second portal is 16 blocks away. Then you go and create a portal between those two.... does it snap to the nearest existing portal? Does it matter which direction your portal faces?
I don't know what to do for you

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:18 am UTC

That's one of the first things I'm going to try, post-update... make a bunch of portals really close together in the world, and see what it looks like in Hell... I figure the interesting one is going to be two portals right next to each other at right angles... one north-south and one-east-west. See how that looks on the other side.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:49 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:AFAIK the current build does not allow for any part (doors or whatever) to effect water or lava. Hopefully it will in the updates.

I suppose it would take about 30 to 60 seconds with lava. :P
The water trigger, if made straight (unlike mine which goes around my entire bases) would take about the same time.

You could also use a fully sand triggered system. Put sand down on a torch. Then put a torch on that sand, and sand on the torch. Repeat until you reach your distination. It goes in a diagonal line, but once you hit the first torch it falls almost instantly. A 16 bit adder was done similarly in the old Alpha (without torches, but using sand) and it worked in under a second.

There's a trick you can do where you set up an unstable liquid flow, and then use a redstone trigger to force a recalculation; I saw it in a video, but you have to reset it manually too. Eventually, liquids will probably flow through doors, allowing for better (DF-like :D) controls.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:58 am UTC

I'd guess that portals snap to the nearest Hell coordinate upon creation, and if there's already a portal there it doesn't work. That could lead to a lot of awkward guessing about where to place portals, though.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:41 am UTC

phlip wrote:That's one of the first things I'm going to try, post-update... make a bunch of portals really close together in the world, and see what it looks like in Hell... I figure the interesting one is going to be two portals right next to each other at right angles... one north-south and one-east-west. See how that looks on the other side.

You're toying with forces you can't possibly comprehend, you fool!
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

I'm guessing that it'll just create one portal in hell, and have all the portals too close to each other on the overworld just connect to the one.

Sleipner

Postby Sleipner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:31 pm UTC

phlip wrote:That's one of the first things I'm going to try, post-update... make a bunch of portals really close together in the world, and see what it looks like in Hell... I figure the interesting one is going to be two portals right next to each other at right angles... one north-south and one-east-west. See how that looks on the other side.

Assuming the creator isn't completely retarded (and I doubt it), he would probably have a 'destroy the previous gate if one is placed in its Hell range' system.

Shivahn wrote:View tracking history:

Your package left spawn at 11:30 AM October 22.
Your package is currently in HELL.

Estimated delivery date: October 24.

Exactly.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

Things that are probably a bitch to code - a gate construction destruction system when gates don't 1:1 match across playing fields.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:54 pm UTC

This video from The Escapist nicely sums up what everyone was thinking when they heard about the DDoS attacks... segement starts at 2:50ish.
I don't know what to do for you

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

uncivlengr wrote:So, it might just be speculation at this point, but how do you figure the warping will work? Apparently, moving a block in any direction in "hell" is like moving 16 on "earth".

Let's say you create a portal, move one space, create another portal, and your second portal is 16 blocks away. Then you go and create a portal between those two.... does it snap to the nearest existing portal? Does it matter which direction your portal faces?
This is just theorycraft.. basically for what I would do....

I would code that in a specific 16x16 square plot on "earth", anywhere you place those portals would send you to the same place in hell. So if you filled this invisible plot with portals, they would all send you to the same portal in hell. If you make one step North out of the 16x16 boundary and build a portal there, it would spawn a new hell-gate that would be one step North of the old one. So the question would be: if you go through portals in hell, which earth portal do you appear out of? I would probably code for the one closest to the center of the 16x16 square plot.

To me, a 16x16 would be the necessary threshold on earth to spawn a new portal in hell. I would make it something more like 48x48 or 80x80, and have the portal spawn in hell 2 or 3 steps away. If you would try to build portals in hell right next to each other (the obsidian blocks touching each other) then a portal for earth does not form.

As ST said, it is a bitch to code (but since I don't have to do it, it's fun to imagine).
uncivlengr wrote:This video from The Escapist nicely sums up what everyone was thinking when they heard about the DDoS attacks... segement starts at 2:50ish.
I JUST saw that, and yes it sums up my thoughts. I smell fowl play, however. I think some just did it for the "lulz". In any case he's more protected now. It was probably better for him to be attacked in alpha with a playerbase that understands what DDoS attacks mean, than to be attacked at beta/release when a more casual/mainstream audience does not understand while they can log on.

One last thought: I'm more excited about multiplayer fixes than I am for anything new in single player. A working minecart system would really make things exciting.

Sleipner

Postby Sleipner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:I would code that in a specific 16x16 square plot on "earth", anywhere you place those portals would send you to the same place in hell. So if you filled this invisible plot with portals, they would all send you to the same portal in hell. If you make one step North out of the 16x16 boundary and build a portal there, it would spawn a new hell-gate that would be one step North of the old one. So the question would be: if you go through portals in hell, which earth portal do you appear out of? I would probably code for the one closest to the center of the 16x16 square plot.

So you're basically suggesting completely ignoring the third dimension? I get how that would be more convenient for coding, but it would be sad if you could only place portals in a completely flat area (what about tunnels and such, and the extra time you'll have to take to plot out a 16x16xhowever-high-the-nearest-blocks-are area for your portal?). I dunno how he's going to do it, but I just hope he has a 16x16x16 cube area where if -any- other portals get placed there, completely or partially, it destroys the old one and links the new one to the same place.

Sleipner

Postby Sleipner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Iron is relatively plentiful, compared to diamonds and redstone. It's easiest to find by digging into natural caverns and exploring there - especially if you find a large cavern. It's difficult, sure, but it's not that much harder to find than coal.

UNTIL YOU GET LOST.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

And then your only hope would be to carve out a little chamber, hope you brought saplings and dirt, grow some trees underground, and start your new life with a self-sustaining underground base.

Or, you know, just wander around till you find the exit. that works too.

Sleipner

Postby Sleipner » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

But the creepers... the creepers...

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:52 pm UTC

Sleipner wrote:
Jebobek wrote:I would code that in a specific 16x16 square plot on "earth", anywhere you place those portals would send you to the same place in hell. So if you filled this invisible plot with portals, they would all send you to the same portal in hell. If you make one step North out of the 16x16 boundary and build a portal there, it would spawn a new hell-gate that would be one step North of the old one. So the question would be: if you go through portals in hell, which earth portal do you appear out of? I would probably code for the one closest to the center of the 16x16 square plot.

So you're basically suggesting completely ignoring the third dimension? I get how that would be more convenient for coding, but it would be sad if you could only place portals in a completely flat area (what about tunnels and such, and the extra time you'll have to take to plot out a 16x16xhowever-high-the-nearest-blocks-are area for your portal?). I dunno how he's going to do it, but I just hope he has a 16x16x16 cube area where if -any- other portals get placed there, completely or partially, it destroys the old one and links the new one to the same place.
That makes sense, as long as your first portal to get you to hell that you built on your skybridge or a mountaintop does not drop you 25 blocks to your death, scattering your diamond tools into a nearby lava bed. I mean, its funny the first 5 times, and then again the 23rd time when a friend looking over your shoulder saw it happen, but for the other times not really.
Last edited by Jebobek on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:43 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

Sleipner wrote:UNTIL YOU GET LOST.

Eh, can you ever *really* get lost in a game where you can punch through walls? I mean sure, if you don't think about it, you might feel lost, and panic. But... dig up. You made a compass right?

By the way, does anyone know if caves can go on forever? Or is the size determined by random formations, and this one I'm in just so happens to be gargantuan.
Last edited by WarDaft on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Return to “Gaming”