Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

uncivlengr

Re: Minecraft

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

From what I understood from Notch's comments before the release, the Nether creatures can spawn around the portal in the real world - they don't actually travel through it. I haven't played much since the update to confirm how this works,though.
I don't know what to do for you

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

phlip wrote:If you take some dirt and torches, can you plant trees in Hell?
Yes. Cacti and wheat too, though wheat is very slow. It took quite a while for the tree to grow too.

EDIT: Also those trees are not of the same biome as those near the portal in the overworld.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Coin

Postby Coin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

Has anyone got any survival strategies for the Nether world?
I equiped myself with cheap disposables as I anticipated death and no way to recover items and that's pretty much what happened as well.
Two floating, fireball spitting monsters were waiting for me as I arrived in the Nether and soon a pigmonster joined in the fun.
I managed to run around them for a bit, but I was soon chased down and killed and when I returned the items were gone, as predicted, and there were even more monsters.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Dig. Dig like it means your life.
Hide, and dig some more. Perhaps look at what is out there, then dig back inside.
I've got a couple of bases going this way. Pity my main portal on my main save is openly exposed (all the others are in caves). It means it is going to be ages before I get enough cobble/red stone together to make a fortress to protect it.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

I haven't made it to the Nether yet - I have a habit of starting new worlds, and... not playing Minecraft. Do the Ghasts really rip chunks out of the world? Will they come getcha in your tunnels?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:I haven't made it to the Nether yet - I have a habit of starting new worlds, and... not playing Minecraft. Do the Ghasts really rip chunks out of the world? Will they come getcha in your tunnels?

Not your tunnels no. But they will spawn anywhere very big. But it has to be a big cavern (like hill to mountain sized).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:I haven't made it to the Nether yet - I have a habit of starting new worlds, and... not playing Minecraft. Do the Ghasts really rip chunks out of the world? Will they come getcha in your tunnels?

So long as they can see you, they'll shoot fireballs at you as they.. meander around, sometimes to where you are, sometimes not. If they lose sight of you (even if you're standing behind a single column that's really, really obviously a hiding spot) they'll stop shooting, even if their fireballs would destroy what you're hiding behind. Unless they meander over to where they can see you.

One Ghast or a group of Ghasts in the same direction isn't bad. It's when you're in a crossfire that it becomes nigh impossible to outrun the explosions.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

cmcl

Postby cmcl » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:The Lightstone is almost definitely going to be necessary for lanterns
Meh, I anticipate using burning hellstone for my perpetual light sources, especially since hellstone is so plentiful and easy to mine. Unless they decide to make the Lightstone usable for something else, like a special weapon or armor or something that I might actually need that I can't use something else for, I don't see much point in going after it.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

Does lightstone emit heat?

If not, I can use it to light my (now impossible to rebuild?) snow lined abode.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Sleipner

Postby Sleipner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:17 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:now impossible to rebuild?

MCEdit. Save it as a schematic, and replace it if you screw it up. It's the only thing I do with it, and it -really- helps me when I screw something up. Well, that and moving my character. :P And spawn point.

Pianodog

Postby Pianodog » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

I opened my portal with hundreds of cobblestone on me and some bare essentials (stone picks, flint & steel, bacon)...

I spent the first hour dodging fire and building walls. Now I'm out of things to do in Hell since there's really nothing to mine. I made a bigger fortress and some cobblestone roads to different places, but none of it is all that exciting. I'm considering disabling my portal so Ghasts can't come through until Notch adds more things to do in there.

While I was there, I did have one Ghast get wedged in the ground. It apparently let him see me and he kept firing until I found and killed him. By then he had gouged a pretty sizable cavern out with his bombs. All I had to do was walk up and smack him with my pick a few times to get him to keel over. Using arrows on them is just wasting arrows. One dies and another comes within 30 seconds. It's easier to just keep moving.
http://www.lilliansolstice.com/soaps.html - Awesome Soap.

PSA: Support the gaming industry, but do it smartly. Remember to check for restrictive DRM before buying as a way to remind publishers that we're their customers, not their enemies.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Pianodog wrote:I opened my portal with hundreds of cobblestone on me and some bare essentials (stone picks, flint & steel, bacon)...

I spent the first hour dodging fire and building walls. Now I'm out of things to do in Hell since there's really nothing to mine. I made a bigger fortress and some cobblestone roads to different places, but none of it is all that exciting. I'm considering disabling my portal so Ghasts can't come through until Notch adds more things to do in there.

While I was there, I did have one Ghast get wedged in the ground. It apparently let him see me and he kept firing until I found and killed him. By then he had gouged a pretty sizable cavern out with his bombs. All I had to do was walk up and smack him with my pick a few times to get him to keel over. Using arrows on them is just wasting arrows. One dies and another comes within 30 seconds. It's easier to just keep moving.

Had not gasts come through, so no need to disable. AFAIK.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:08 am UTC

Spent some more time exploring the underdark, and look what I came across:
Naturally occurring obsidian field, didn't need to do anything other than block the river off . Just awesome.

Now of course when I found it I said to myself "awesome! too bad I don't have a diamond axe yet" rounded the corner ahead in the photo to find four blocks sitting pretty over the lava. Just awesome. Nether fortress here I come.

*edit*

Aaaaand just as I finish writing this a creeper comes out of nowhere blows me to nothing, barely survive, while building a wall to block off that passage a skeleton rounds the corner TWANG dead. my stuff better be there when I get back.

*edit* and all my stuff is gone. diamond pickaxe, full plate armor, iron axe and sword, redstone, comepass, everything.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:40 am UTC

You know, you don't need a diamond pickaxe to make a nether portal... you can just create obsidian with lava/water in the shape of the gate. Problem solved.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:52 am UTC

Kirby wrote:You know, you don't need a diamond pickaxe to make a nether portal... you can just create obsidian with lava/water in the shape of the gate. Problem solved.

Good luck doing that.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Kirby wrote:You know, you don't need a diamond pickaxe to make a nether portal... you can just create obsidian with lava/water in the shape of the gate. Problem solved.

Good luck doing that.

It's not hard at all if you know how to work fluids. Hell, if you're really worried, just make a mold out of sand or something and build it layer by layer.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 am UTC

A few minutes ago, I was mining some iron ore with an iron pickaxe, and the annoying voice in the back of my head said, "Well isn't this... ironic."

(Groan.)

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:52 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:A few minutes ago, I was mining some iron ore with an iron pickaxe, and the annoying voice in the back of my head said, "Well isn't this... ironic."

(Groan.)

Spoiler:

Next you'll be telling us that redstone is communist.

guyy

Postby guyy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:17 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Aaaaand just as I finish writing this a creeper comes out of nowhere blows me to nothing, barely survive, while building a wall to block off that passage a skeleton rounds the corner TWANG dead. my stuff better be there when I get back.

*edit* and all my stuff is gone. diamond pickaxe, full plate armor, iron axe and sword, redstone, comepass, everything.

More reasons why I play on Peaceful. The game's random crashes and video card errors every half-hour or so are annoying enough without being murdered by mobs just as often.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 am UTC

Day three in the Undermines. When I first began my exploration of the cavernous depths I was worried about losing my way. It has become clear now that I should have been more concerned about losing my sanity. The mines have taken me. The surface world no longer holds any joy. There is only the endless caves, innumerable torches, and precious caches of ore which sing to me in the haunting depths.

My only concerns are the wandering foes seeking to impale themselves upon my diamond blade, and my dwindling lumber supply. The depths call for ever more torches, and soon I must return and brave the day star once more to replenish my supplies, before plummeting back down into the darkness below.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:24 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Day three in the Undermines. When I first began my exploration of the cavernous depths I was worried about losing my way. It has become clear now that I should have been more concerned about losing my sanity. The mines have taken me. The surface world no longer holds any joy. There is only the endless caves, innumerable torches, and precious caches of ore which sing to me in the haunting depths.

My only concerns are the wandering foes seeking to impale themselves upon my diamond blade, and my dwindling lumber supply. The depths call for ever more torches, and soon I must return and brave the day star once more to replenish my supplies, before plummeting back down into the darkness below.

Build a magma-lit farm underground. trees, crops, and pigs for food if you want.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:04 am UTC

Loved it, Utilitarian. Definitely set up an underground forest if you're ever in one place for long enough. If not, isn't there a shopkeeper every five levels?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:54 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Day three in the Undermines. When I first began my exploration of the cavernous depths I was worried about losing my way. It has become clear now that I should have been more concerned about losing my sanity. The mines have taken me. The surface world no longer holds any joy. There is only the endless caves, innumerable torches, and precious caches of ore which sing to me in the haunting depths.

Take lots of logs. Then you don't need to venture out much. :P

PS, it#s much easier to get your stuff back after the update. As in resources are everywhere.

cmcl

Postby cmcl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Naturally occurring obsidian field, didn't need to do anything other than block the river off . Just awesome.
Whenever I find water occurring near lava, I always like to play around with redirecting the water streams to create huge fields of obsidian. It's just fun.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

guyy wrote:More reasons why I play on Peaceful. The game's random crashes and video card errors every half-hour or so are annoying enough without being murdered by mobs just as often.

I play on Peaceful. And let me tell you a story.

Near where I spawned there was this huge cave system with a nice big entry point on the surface. I built myself a little base their early on, but have since relocated myself to a peninsula off the shore to complete the work on my glass temple. The glass temple is designed so that once completed, I can put some water on the top and it will run down the pillars. I thought: "Wouldn't it be cool if I could do it with lava instead? You could see it for miles!" so I set off back to my base camp outside the caves to find the lowest point I could and dig down. After winding through the tunnels, guided by the trail of torches I had placed there in my early days after I hit upon a large seam of coal, I dug down a 1x1 shaft, placing ladders as I went. I finally dropped down a short way into a chamber where my prize awaited. Lava! Lots of it! I broke through some walls with my pickaxe to discover the full extent of the lake (after taking a bucket of the stuff to the surface for storage). I found a large lake, with overhanging deposits of redstone. I was excited, my first deposit of redstone! All my iron was stored by the temple, so I made the trip back to get the ingots to craft myself an iron pickaxe (I mostly use stone because they function and are easy to replace) and worked away at mining the redstone, careful to construct platforms so that none of it fell into the lava and got incinerated. While expanding the cave in order to get to some more precariously-placed deposits, I fell into the lava. I panicked! I tried jumping out! But there was an overhanging block of stone blocking my exit, and I burnt to death.

So I lost: my bucket, two iron pickaxes, about thirty coal (I hadn't run into any since the large seam mentioned above), at least a hundred units of glass that I was going to use for my temple, a lot of wood and all the redstone I ever ever had.

In conclusion: Peaceful difficulty does not prevent you from dying and losing lots of things.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:55 pm UTC

It does if you're careful enough... and if you make sure not to try opening your storage chest while holding a bucket of lava...

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

Build a "radiation shower" With water. Dig a hole 1 block down. Then have some stairs or a half block leading to it. Place water above. Then if you catch fire, you can run to it to douse you.
Else ALWAYS carry a bucket of water. Be very careful near lava lakes.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Loved it, Utilitarian. Definitely set up an underground forest if you're ever in one place for long enough. If not, isn't there a shopkeeper every five levels?

I'm going to write "Elbereth" in redstone in front of the entrance to my citadel, now.

Or I would, if my citadel weren't built on a series of islands. Maybe somewhere else, then.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

You could put it on a sign.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:

Good luck doing that.

That's how I made my portal.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:29 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:

Good luck doing that.

That's how I made my portal.

Ditto. Although you can't make portals in hell that way, since water isn't placeable.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:16 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Ditto. Although you can't make portals in hell that way, since water isn't placeable.

You can't place water in hell? Aww...

Can you at least throw snowballs?

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 am UTC

It would have a snowball's chance in... oh.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:09 am UTC

I have thrown snowballs in hell at ghasts, and placed snow blocks (which don't melt, strangely).

I might have to try lining the passageway between my portals in snow now...
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 pm UTC

Can ghasts blow up iron blocks?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

They can't even blow up Cobblestone. Hellstone is soft. Try punching it and timing how long it takes to break. I mean, it's only slightly sturdier than Dirt or Sand.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:14 pm UTC

Wait, so the fireballs can't break through cobblestone? That sounds a little pathetic.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

In my experience, no.

Honestly, after suffering a direct hit last night.. Skeletons hit harder than Ghasts.

That said, Skeletons don't fire at you from Way The Fuck Far Away In Giant Open Dark, Difficult To Cross Areas While Making The Most Unsettling Shrieking Noises Ever (WTFFAIGODDTCAWMTMUSNE).

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

If you completely embed the portal in stone except for the actual way through, do Ghasts still spawn on your side?
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

I've yet to see one spawn in reality, despite leaving a portal just hanging out on the surface. So.... uh.. I dunno?

Return to “Gaming”