Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

alexriehl

Re: Minecraft

Postby alexriehl » Thu May 05, 2011 12:45 am UTC

Yup-- Friendlies don't generally spawn in lighted caves. :)
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu May 05, 2011 6:27 am UTC

So somewhere within a short walk of Narnia there's a cheaply fashioned wooden house with a gravel roof, and through it is a small hollowed out cavern in the dirt (hollowed out so trees can grow on it.) I've abandoned it and moved on; if it still exists (darned if I can find it) it's fair game to loot or repurpose.

Somewhere else, a bit east of Narnia (but closer than the huge ocean of lava), there's an igloo built on the ice, a birch farm in the snow near some evergreens, and a larger underground demesne that includes bits that are roofed with ice. Near the igloo is a spire marking a cave full of lava. ...I abandoned this settlement also because I saw how close I was to civilization. I started building a huge birch tree, but it turned out ugly and I left it behind. It's also fair game. I left behind a chest full of collected sand and a few other things. I would give the sand to whoever was soliciting donations, but I only get about an hour a day to play this, and I'm still low tech (I just made armor for the first time, and I haven't figured out how to make a vest yet. I'm not looking at resources.

I'm traveling to the far east now, and traveling light. Maybe I'll change my mind and find my way back and take the train, but right now I'm already a bit lost. ^_^ Just the way I like it (I think I found a dungeon; these skeletons are spawning too frequently to be natural. Maybe. I haven't seen any cobblestone yet.)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu May 05, 2011 6:56 am UTC

I really love how Narnia has become a legitimate name for the geographical location for the area around my giant castle thing. I guess my signs worked. By the way, that really heavily wooded area that's between the castle and that weird spidery structure and the lava area is there for logging purposes. Just gather the saplings and plant them about on your way out.

Then again, I did spend quite a time plopping out all those torches all over the place; which, looks pretty sweet from up top the castle.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 05, 2011 8:15 am UTC

I just spent an hour exploring and... this is relevant to my interests. I might immigrate here from FaiDcraft.

Smuglorda

Postby Smuglorda » Thu May 05, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

Sup guys, I'm a huuuuge Minecraft fan and I often make Minecraft skins in my spare time so just PM if you have any requests and shiz.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu May 05, 2011 9:33 pm UTC

I wish I could join the XKCD server, it looks friggin' amazing from the screenshots. Multiplayer in general seems more entertaining than single player. Too bad that would require an account of my own. I missed out on Alpha, and I don't want to buy Beta if I'm not going to get future versions with it.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Thu May 05, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:I wish I could join the XKCD server, it looks friggin' amazing from the screenshots. Multiplayer in general seems more entertaining than single player. Too bad that would require an account of my own. I missed out on Alpha, and I don't want to buy Beta if I'm not going to get future versions with it.

I'm pretty sure that you ARE getting future versions with it if you buy Beta. That's why the price is discounted right now. As soon as it officially leaves beta, you still own a copy of the full version.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:I wish I could join the XKCD server, it looks friggin' amazing from the screenshots. Multiplayer in general seems more entertaining than single player. Too bad that would require an account of my own. I missed out on Alpha, and I don't want to buy Beta if I'm not going to get future versions with it.

for 30 dollars you can get a alpha key on ebay.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Thu May 05, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

Amishdemon wrote:

for 30 dollars you can get a alpha key on ebay.

Or for 20 you can get Beta.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu May 05, 2011 9:56 pm UTC

alexriehl wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you ARE getting future versions with it if you buy Beta. That's why the price is discounted right now. As soon as it officially leaves beta, you still own a copy of the full version.

Nope, I distinctly remember all of my agony and checking around forums when it left Alpha in December. He doesn't guarantee that you'll get any of the future versions for free with Beta, only with Alpha. I'll probably pick up one of those keys for 30 dollars when I can get that onto my PayPal.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:
alexriehl wrote:

Nope, I distinctly remember all of my agony and checking around forums when it left Alpha in December. He doesn't guarantee that you'll get any of the future versions for free with Beta, only with Alpha. I'll probably pick up one of those keys for 30 dollars when I can get that onto my PayPal.

From minecraft.net:

Minecraft.net wrote:Please note that when you buy the game, you're paying for the game as it is right now!
You will also get the full version of Minecraft when it is released.
http://www.minecraft.net/prepurchase.jsp
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri May 06, 2011 1:19 am UTC

Hmm. Well shit, I ain't got no excuse then. Time to hunt down five dollars to add to the $20 I found on the ground and go buy it with a gift card.

Wait...

Wikipedia wrote:He further stated that users who bought the game after this date would no longer be guaranteed to receive all future content free of charge as it "scared both the lawyers and the board." However, bug fixes and all updates leading up to and including the release would still be free.
Last edited by BurningLed on Fri May 06, 2011 1:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Fri May 06, 2011 1:23 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Hmm. Well shit, I ain't got no excuse then. Time to hunt down five dollars to add to the $20 I found on the ground and go buy it with a gift card.

By my calculations, about $22 should cut it for now. So you can use the rest of the card to buy a soda. 8)
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri May 06, 2011 1:26 am UTC

Nah, where I live cards have a $20 minimum and a $5 activation fee.

Edit: Also, word of notch

When the game enters beta, the price will rise to 14.95 Euro.

We will also change the license to remove the line that promises all future versions of the game for free. Please note that this change only affects people who buy the game after December 20, so if you got the game for during alpha, you will still get all future updates for free, despite this change. A promise is a promise.
Buying the game during beta will include all updates up until release, of course, and bug patches will be free.
Last edited by BurningLed on Fri May 06, 2011 1:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Fri May 06, 2011 1:29 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Nah, where I live cards have a $20 minimum and a $5 activation fee.

d'aww.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri May 06, 2011 1:31 am UTC

But see, it doesn't guarantee free updates after release, and I don't want to hand over another 20 dollars to enjoy a fun game in 6 months that screws me over because I missed out on Alpha. Also, I just realized that it is 22 dollars and that I'm going to need to pay almost 30, for $25+activation free.

Maybe I should sell some of my TF2 hats for paypal money... probably can't get more than 3 bucks for my pink beard though (Assuming keys will sell on paypal for $2.00 and they're worth 2 ref, and a pink beard is worth 3 ref...)

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 am UTC

The way I read it, looks like you now pay for the beta and all updates of it, but not when it's released fully. I assume at that point you will have to pay again.
If this is the case, it seems prudent to wait until it's released fully (or get one of them there alpha codey things, but I dunno how they work)
Ⓞⓞ◯

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Fri May 06, 2011 2:30 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:Wait...

Wikipedia wrote:He further stated that users who bought the game after this date would no longer be guaranteed to receive all future content free of charge as it "scared both the lawyers and the board." However, bug fixes and all updates leading up to and including the release would still be free.

But... note:

Wikipedia wrote: ... leading up to and including the release would still be free.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri May 06, 2011 3:15 am UTC

You will get all updates until they reach release, get release, and get bug-fixes. After release, If you buy during beta, the only thing you will be unable to get for free is content updates. If (more like when) Notch adds content after release, it will most likely be in a big chunk, making the fee for it worth it.

In other words, just buy the beta.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri May 06, 2011 3:44 am UTC

Beta keys should work just like release keys, except you don't have to wait for release and they're cheaper. Anything you have to pay for with a beta key, you'd be paying for with a release key.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri May 06, 2011 3:48 am UTC

You should be able to train wolves to dig. They could probably only do dirt and sand, but it'd still be cool.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 am UTC

What you really ought to be able to do is build mining machines. I really hate caps on income. It would be best if there could at least be a linear increase in the possible amount of material gathered per time if not an exponential one.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri May 06, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

Levi wrote:What you really ought to be able to do is build mining machines. I really hate caps on income. It would be best if there could at least be a linear increase in the possible amount of material gathered per time if not an exponential one.
You can sort of do this on a multiplayer server with bots / you can do this on a singleplayer server with tnt cannons. But I'm not sure that's an efficient way to increase your income.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri May 06, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

Wait, when the reference was made to the giant sea of lava, was that my lava wall and other lava accessories you were talking of? Or is there another land of lava that i must conquer?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat May 07, 2011 2:22 am UTC

Scallel wrote:Wait, when the reference was made to the giant sea of lava, was that my lava wall and other lava accessories you were talking of?

Maybe. It's to the east of Narnia, of course, and also Northeast (ish?) of the little igloo and attempted giant birch tree was in a winter forest biome (lots of pools and a few pretty waterfalls. Lots of fir.)

Said lava is surrounded mostly by ocean.

I saw some underwater glass passageways, and some floating glass/lava things that I hadn't noticed when I settled, so I moved on without packing.

I'm not good with directions, getting lost in my own thoughts sometimes, and I'm inexperienced at this game (I've only ever mined one diamond) so my directions may be flawed. ...but I think it's safe to assume the lava ocean is terra cognita (if molten.)

I wish I'd bookmarked/saved the map that was earlier in this forum. I'll have to search for it later; it'd be neat to have a dynamic map that showed what things looked like now. History would be more neat, if things got active (I know someone's using TNT; I heard some chain explosions the other day.)

I, on the other hand, have decided it's time for me to build some farms where I am and settle. Unless I find I'm too close to civilization again; I want a chance to complete a great work before anyone wanders by. ^_^

edit: The most recent map is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19122/xkcd.png and, while I'm not sure which direction is north on there, I certainly see that I hadn't explored very effectively. I should go on walkabout again. Then, maybe I'll create a horrible blasted wasteland complete with a blotted-out sun. Yay? Anyway, I think I'm off the map. I don't recognize anything.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat May 07, 2011 5:12 am UTC

Feylias wrote:edit: The most recent map is http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19122/xkcd.png and, while I'm not sure which direction is north on there, I certainly see that I hadn't explored very effectively. I should go on walkabout again. Then, maybe I'll create a horrible blasted wasteland complete with a blotted-out sun. Yay? Anyway, I think I'm off the map. I don't recognize anything.

North should be to the top left. If you can see my airship, the sun rises to the aft of it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat May 07, 2011 6:23 am UTC

I decided to head westward back towards Narnia (we need to name more of the landmarks.) I'm currently walking past -55.9 and 71.6 and I'm near a huge ocean of lava with a glass building on it. I'm not sure it's the same one, but it seems likely. ...and since I'm on foot and not willing to damage the scenery too much (I still feel bad about the forest fire I inadvertently caused. ...though it was vast and nearly breathtaking, and absolutely killed the four skeletons that were chasing me.)

I'm heading back to town to ride the railroad. ..and to get a better idea of what direction it is. I only just learned (Thanks, Roosevelt) how coordinates even work. A beginner is me.

Edit:

Yep. That was it. My second base with the ugly tree? X-58.4 Y59.6 Z-402.77

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat May 07, 2011 6:37 am UTC

Feylias wrote:I decided to head westward back towards Narnia (we need to name more of the landmarks.) I'm currently walking past 55.9 and 71.6 and I'm near a huge ocean of lava with a glass building on it. I'm not sure it's the same one, but it seems likely. ...and since I'm on foot and not willing to damage the scenery too much (I still feel bad about the forest fire I inadvertently caused. ...though it was vast and nearly breathtaking, and absolutely killed the four skeletons that were chasing me.)

I'm heading back to town to ride the railroad. ..and to get a better idea of what direction it is. I only just learned (Thanks, Roosevelt) how coordinates even work. A beginner is me.

Actually, you really wouldn't believe how many times I got killed by Creepers while trying to put those signs up. A lot of those creeper craters... Yeah... That was me. I kind of wish I wasn't so busy with grad school that I could actually finish that castle. It's going to have shitters and everything.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat May 07, 2011 7:08 am UTC

So I decided to, since I was there, name the igloo/ugly giant birch place UGLYTREE. I ended up trapped by nightfall (I eschew FAQs and don't know/usually don't use cheats) and so had to mine my way westward to avoid mobs. ...and created a nice escape tunnel through to where someone is creating a deep mine in the sand. I borrowed their safehouse. Thanks, friend! I gave you some cactus and some sugarcane in thanks (and I put a dirt roof on the safehouse, just in case.

Oh, and:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... rminology/

...because it amused me.

Grilf wants attention. I have to quit minecrafting now. Still trying to make it back to the railroad.

(I feel like I've started geocaching.)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat May 07, 2011 7:17 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:It's going to have shitters and everything.

Is... Is that a typo?

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Sat May 07, 2011 11:25 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

Is... Is that a typo?

I think he means the medieval toilets that are basically chutes to channel *ahem* waste products out of the walls, where they splash into the moat.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat May 07, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

alexriehl wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

Is... Is that a typo?

I think he means the medieval toilets that are basically chutes to channel *ahem* waste products out of the walls, where they splash into the moat.

Ah. That makes sense, actually.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Sat May 07, 2011 12:35 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
alexriehl wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:

Is... Is that a typo?

Ah. That makes sense, actually.

Yes, although it also makes your walls dirty. Haha.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat May 07, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Since I made it back to the spawn area (which may need a name; else, we'll just call it Narnia-area) I'm looking around. Cool airship. I broke an indoor tree back when I first started playing, so, now that I know how, I took it all down and replanted it with a ring of dirt one space above the ground to force it to grow big. Bone meal made it huge; I think the three trees inside Narnia are now possibly too hueg, but the server won't let me trim them down and try again. <shrug>

I was a bit lost; but finally the railroad. Mayhap a list of coordinates and destinations, on a series of plaques in a central location, would make tourist attractions more findable. I'll consider that a project for after I finish my frontier-trailblazing. ...no time soon now.

Anyway, minor steel and wood donations have been made to various chests, and once I get done taking my ride it's time to roll back to the boonies to make something distant and cool.

...I hear stuff going on; maybe it's daylight now. Time to leave.

Edit: So the monster spawner is AWESOME. ...and I didn't manage to ride the right rail yet. ...but I did find an Rippy's tower filled with alternating torches and ladders. There's a problem with this. ...you can only climb downward. I ended up trapped in a room with lava. I mined out through the side and came out in the ocean and swam to safety. So far so good; I've only died once in this game, and that was to four creepers in quick succession, early on.

I also found that creeper statue that I saw long ago. ^_^ Good times.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat May 07, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

Well, that wouldn't work, because Narnia is the area where the large rock pathway leads to from the spawn area. Plus the area surrounding that castle, which will eventually include a farm, mob farm, and a larger sugar cane production facility. There's also the castle, but as I said, that's all on hold due to grad school.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat May 07, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

The really long railroad (which I'm about to ride) is -10, 73, -8.5

Edit:

Other end is 1016, 84.6, -8.9

ish.

Awesome feat. I walked it at night and had to arrow a creeper off of it. I'm glad it didn't boom.

Time to leave donations somewhere and go home.

Thank you for the ride!

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat May 07, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:Awesome feat. I walked it at night and had to arrow a creeper off of it. I'm glad it didn't boom.

Is this a regular issue with really big constructions? Clearing the creepers and skeletons from the unlit areas? Just curious.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat May 07, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

Yeah, it is. Everything has to be kept lit. With railroads I usually end up building them either underground or with fences in either side so that mobs don't get on the tracks and stop the carts.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat May 07, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

You could just put torches on them :P
Ⓞⓞ◯

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Sat May 07, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:You could just put torches on them :P

Or towers with Netherrack on top of them nearby :) (Once notch gets it working in Multiplayer)
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

Return to “Gaming”