Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

TaintedDeity

Re: Minecraft

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat May 07, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

There's a problem with netherrack in SMP?
Ⓞⓞ◯

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Sat May 07, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:There's a problem with netherrack in SMP?

No, but in versions where you can't use /item, it's impossible to get netherrack without going to the Nether. Which doesn't work in SMP.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat May 07, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Ah, I see. Yes, can't get to the nether without mods and can't get the items without mods or /item.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat May 07, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

I think I saw some ever-burning fires around the doorway to a place at one end of one of the railroads (the one by the awesome mob spawner/executor.

I assumed that was Netherack.

I just had fun making a cool oasis with a huge cactus on top of it, connected by a tunnel under the desert to Roosevelt's wilderness rest area by the far end of the really long railroad.

Time to try to find my way home. ...once the server stops lagging.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun May 08, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:
Feylias wrote:Awesome feat. I walked it at night and had to arrow a creeper off of it. I'm glad it didn't boom.

Is this a regular issue with really big constructions? Clearing the creepers and skeletons from the unlit areas? Just curious.

I really need to light the railroad and put up some mob barriers. Hopefully later today or tommorrow.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun May 08, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

Nether does work in SMP. Portal don't. Whoever hosts the server just needs to shut it down, change something in a config file, and then the server will be Nether. Everyone can join and fill up their inventory, then shut down the server again and put it back to overworld.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 08, 2011 6:45 pm UTC

Or use a many worlds mod and have a Nether world running alongside that you can visit using portals.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun May 08, 2011 9:06 pm UTC

Er, a question that may be silly;

By my standards, my current base (X = 340.64, Y = 68.62, Z = -2930.31) is in the boonies. I like that, but had considered traveling even farther prior to starting my planned construction (I plan to create Fiddler's Green (a plains of trees and flowers and grass, well lit, with glass at sky level so the rain doesn't annoy.) and a hell-on earth (Mordor; cobble at sky level, no dirt, sand, plant life, water, or sunlight. If portals work, maybe those.) These are my plans.

By building stuff out here in the distance, am I creating problems for the server? I read something today on Notch's website that makes me worry about it.

His gist was "Maps aren't really infinite. The more you stretch the map, the more buggy it'll become."

...I seek enlightenment from someone who has run a server; how far is approaching too far? I figure anything approaching Mordor needs to be a good distance from civilization so that the eternally spawning mobs don't cause non-adventurers problems. ...but I don't want to break things.

Edit: http://notch.tumblr.com/post/3746989361 ... ion-part-1
" ...let me clarify some things about the “infinite” maps: They’re not infinite, but there’s no hard limit either. It’ll just get buggier and buggier the further out you are. Terrain is generated, saved and loaded, and (kind of) rendered in chunks of 16*16*128 blocks. These chunks have an offset value that is a 32 bit integer roughly in the range negative two billion to positive two billion. If you go outside that range (about 25% of the distance from where you are now to the sun), loading and saving chunks will start overwriting old chunks. At a 16/th of that distance, things that use integers for block positions, such as using items and pathfinding, will start overflowing and acting weird."

I'm not really in my bailiwick, but I'm going to assume that, if numbers that end in "illion" are involved, I don't need to worry. Right? I mean, I'm merely in the low thousands. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Otherwise, I think I've found the correct place to start work on my 'eden' (I'll call it 'Fiddler's green', and leave many a sign on it.) ...It'll be small, and while I'm leveling it and lighting it, I'll be gathering the cobblestone needed for the Mordor-next-door.

(I can't wait to play again. Alas, hours of homework left. I hates homeworks.)

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Sun May 08, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

You have to walk a few hours or days (IRL) out to start bugging it out if I remember correctly.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sun May 08, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

llamanaru wrote:You have to walk a few hours or days (IRL) out to start bugging it out if I remember correctly.

"Getting to the Far Lands without the use of an external program would be a very difficult (or at least time consuming) task, taking about 820 hours to walk there from the center of the map."

Don't walk in a straight line for a month (with no breaks), and there's no problems.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Sun May 08, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

A month, a few days, same thing...

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun May 08, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

llamanaru wrote:A month, a few days, same thing...

it all just runs together.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

llamanaru

Postby llamanaru » Sun May 08, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

At least it does while playing Minecraft...

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun May 08, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

The minecraft wiki says lag/item bugs start occuring at 500,000 x/z
I practice, you'd probably get lag before that.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun May 08, 2011 11:36 pm UTC

It'd be cool to do a charity like Desert Bus for Hope, but instead of driving a bus in a straight line you're navigating straight-ish through a Minecraft world. (Edit: With monsters disabled.)

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon May 09, 2011 12:00 am UTC

poll what should the floor of the arena be sand or some pattern or something else. i personally think sand would look the most realistic.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon May 09, 2011 12:13 am UTC

I cannot get on to ST's server for some reason.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon May 09, 2011 4:19 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:It'd be cool to do a charity like Desert Bus for Hope, but instead of driving a bus in a straight line you're navigating straight-ish through a Minecraft world. (Edit: With monsters disabled.)

There's a guy who's doing that, but not for charity, and he doesn't update super frequently.

http://towardsdawns.blogspot.com/
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon May 09, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

Wolves!!!!!!!!

found all but one in the botanical garden thanks blalobw!!
Last edited by CombustibleLemons on Tue May 10, 2011 1:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon May 09, 2011 10:50 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:It'd be cool to do a charity like Desert Bus for Hope, but instead of driving a bus in a straight line you're navigating straight-ish through a Minecraft world. (Edit: With monsters disabled.)

There's a guy who's doing that, but not for charity, and he doesn't update super frequently.

Pfft. It's no fun if you take breaks.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Mon May 09, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:

Pfft. It's no fun if you take breaks.

Of course, he's doing it with monsters enabled.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Tue May 10, 2011 3:48 am UTC

To whom it concerns, it was raining when I logged on a few minutes ago. :D.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue May 10, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:To whom it concerns, it was raining when I logged on a few minutes ago. :D.

I am not concerned, I brought an umbrella.

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Tue May 10, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

Hello. Requesting whitelisting in psion's server.
she/her

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Wed May 11, 2011 12:06 am UTC

NieXS wrote:Hello. Requesting whitelisting in psion's server.

PM Psion. He'll add you.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed May 11, 2011 3:37 am UTC

So I put all my stuff except ladders and stone pickaxes in a chest (just in case) and mined straight down until I fell into a cavern. I was lucky, and didn't die. ...and I managed to get some gold, find some lava (will be useful later; even if they don't work, I want portals in Mordor) and then I found a gang of very silent monsters who blew me into a deeper cavern. So I'm lost, now, badly hurt (the deeper cavern had a spider and a skeleton right next to where I fell) and trying to mine my way upwards.

Adventure!

And when I was awakened about five hours early this morning, my dreamed afterimages were all of torches.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed May 11, 2011 11:35 am UTC

You sir, are a brave brave man.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed May 11, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

Weird bug time on Talon's server.

When you log out and log back in you return to the same place every time with your inventory as it was. It is as if the server has the ability to read the player's file but not the ability to write it.

I'll be PM-ing him shortly.

PS. I was checking out TheMonkey's new anti-spider cacti in the spawner and got creepered. It will be non-functional until I fix what I broke. (Note to self: NEVER GO IN THERE AGAIN. NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!)

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed May 11, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

Ok, I believe I have the bottom two floors of the spawner "safed" by bloccking off the chutes and lighting them. I'll be back on in 20 minutes or so (I'm waiting to make sure any mobs are de-spawned) to repair the damage my stupid curiousity has caused.

And then I will NEVER NEVER NEVER meddle in its innards again.

NEVER!!!!!!!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed May 11, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

Anybody know how monster spawner blocks interact with pistons, and whether they're affected by gravity?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed May 11, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

Spawners aren't affected by gravity... I don't have the piston mod.
I don't know what to do for you

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed May 11, 2011 10:27 pm UTC

Now that I think about it a little more, they only spawn when you're within a certain distance, so even if you can move them wherever you like with pistons, they're less useful than a well-built mob farm.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed May 11, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

I thought mob farms worked on the same principle. Mobs only spawn when you're within a certain distance. Is it a larger distance than with spawners?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed May 11, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

Wiki says you have to be within 16 blocks of a monster spawner. That seems pretty close to me.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed May 11, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

Oh yeah, that does kinda suck. Plus you get no creepers or gunpowder with spawners.
Ⓞⓞ◯

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu May 12, 2011 1:13 am UTC

Yeah, on another server I found two monster spawners within about 20-30 blocks of each other... there's a very small sweet spot you have to stand in order to activate both at once.

Whereas wild mobs spawn on a much larger area.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Thu May 12, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Indeed, wild mobs won't spawn at the only distances monster spawner mobs will spawn.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 12, 2011 11:42 am UTC

Which therefore means that monster spawners could be used to increase the drop rate of a monster farm; the spawners would spawn monsters within the range while the flat dark areas would spawn monsters outside of their effective range.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Thu May 12, 2011 11:47 am UTC

That would take a lot of monster spawners, because the not within 24 tiles rule applies vertically as well. The easiest way is to just set up the collection zone far enough from the spawner so as to not waste floor space.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 12, 2011 11:49 am UTC

I'm saying that the location of a monster spawner would be a good one to build a mob farm on top of.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Return to “Gaming”