Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

the_writer

Re: Minecraft

Postby the_writer » Thu May 26, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

psion's server is not up yet, waiting for it to be updated

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu May 26, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

WTF. The new bugs list is as long as the fixes and new features list. What the hell has Mojang been doing for the past month?

I can't even play on multiplayer servers anymore because of lag.
Last edited by Levi on Thu May 26, 2011 9:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu May 26, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Scallel wrote:Oh i know it doesnt destroy it on the other side. What i meant was, if i destroy it on this side then would that render their portal to not work anymore? Do portals work by taking you to that place or do they work by taking you to the corresponding, and working, portal?

I haven't tested it, but I *think* the portal is only inactive on one side. Should be easy enough to test in Single Player.

As for an ETA, server admin's been a bit busy today. I'll get an official ETA later, but he may wait a few days to make sure the bugs are worked out of 1.6

Wouldn't it just create a working portal on the other side, much in the same way that it creates a portal in the nether? I'd assume that's how it'd work.

Or it could just crash the world.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 26, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Wouldn't it just create a working portal on the other side, much in the same way that it creates a portal in the nether? I'd assume that's how it'd work.

Or it could just crash the world.
That's pretty much exactly what I think it'd do.

*edit* Due to a funky way my host updates, we have an option.

1.6 Vanilla
1.5 Craftbukkit.

Thoughts?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Thu May 26, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

So should i experiment with this? I really want to, because its most likely going to act different on multiplayer than single player.

I put my vote for 1.6, mostly because it adds the nether to multiplayer which will allow me to make a fast travel hub, and honestly I didnt really notice anything that craftbukkit was doing.
Last edited by Scallel on Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu May 26, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Why does this thread occasionally get bumped in General?

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu May 26, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

There's too many game-killing bugs in the list Levi posted to go to 1.6. I really don't want server crashes four times a day.

SecondTalon's got a plugin called Netherportals installed, so we can get ghast-blasted if we really want to. I tested it, and it works fine.

And yeah, what in the hairy heck is Mojang up to?

P.S. Where is a good intro to Craftbukkit and Permissions? The only hosting I've done myself is a plain vanilla home server for me and a few visitors. I'm a total newbie to Bukkit.

Thanks again!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu May 26, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

Yeah, I'd at least wait until they got their shit fixed before updating.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu May 26, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

Do any of the custom texture packs have the 1.6 stuff yet?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri May 27, 2011 2:26 am UTC

So I'm a bit worried, on account of how I've been building a glass lid (already over 1000 meters) over the sky. I want to check, but I've already updated to the new version.

Any advice on how to get on the server prior to its updating? What pops to mind is trying to find a copy of the unupdated version and installing that also.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 2:47 am UTC

blalobw wrote:P.S. Where is a good intro to Craftbukkit and Permissions? The only hosting I've done myself is a plain vanilla home server for me and a few visitors. I'm a total newbie to Bukkit.
So am I!
Makes things fun!

If you haven't noticed the Craftbukkitry, you haven't used portals. Also, I haven't got some of the handier things working.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri May 27, 2011 3:31 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
blalobw wrote:P.S. Where is a good intro to Craftbukkit and Permissions? The only hosting I've done myself is a plain vanilla home server for me and a few visitors. I'm a total newbie to Bukkit.
So am I!
Makes things fun!

If you haven't noticed the Craftbukkitry, you haven't used portals. Also, I haven't got some of the handier things working.

Everyone is new to Bukkit, including the bukkit team. Stay away from essentials. Being a mega-plugin, I lost some of my ability to mix and match plugins. Parts of it work good, but I had a lot of trouble getting it to work with permissions (both Nijikokun's and the essential's group manager).
blablo: Tell me what you would like help with, and I will try to assist you in finding a good set of plugins.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Fri May 27, 2011 4:18 am UTC

Feylias wrote:So I'm a bit worried, on account of how I've been building a glass lid (already over 1000 meters) over the sky. I want to check, but I've already updated to the new version.

Any advice on how to get on the server prior to its updating? What pops to mind is trying to find a copy of the unupdated version and installing that also.

I haven't updated, so I can zip up my .minecraft folder sans save (to save space) and upload it tomorrow evening if you don't find a solution by then.
Because I have loved life, I shall have no sorrow to die. - Amelia Burr

I make pretty pictures!: Photography & Video Production

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri May 27, 2011 10:44 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:Everyone is new to Bukkit, including the bukkit team. Stay away from essentials. Being a mega-plugin, I lost some of my ability to mix and match plugins. Parts of it work good, but I had a lot of trouble getting it to work with permissions (both Nijikokun's and the essential's group manager).
blablo: Tell me what you would like help with, and I will try to assist you in finding a good set of plugins.

It's not so much that I'm looking for plugins for my own server, I just want a good handle on the ones SecondTalon is using and their typical usage. I get the idea that Permissions and Groupmanager are anti-griefing measures, presumably they allow admins to control who can place/destroy blocks and where they can place/destroy them, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to find documentation to that effect and the commands which control them.

I'm also curious as to why when I run the /plugins command "Permissions" shows up twice along with GroupManager. Is that normal? From the Googling around that I have done both Permissions and GroupManager appear to have the same basic goals, with GM being a successor of Permissions.

One plugin I was curious about but it does not appear to exist would be one that automatically limited the amount of TNT that could be set off at once to protect the server from excessive load. I'm thinking something like a "critical mass" detecting plugin where placing too many TNT in close proximity automatically sets them off. This would still allow TNT to be used for mining and cannons, but ten-thousand TNT "atomic bombs" would be impossible.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri May 27, 2011 10:46 am UTC

Levi wrote:WTF. The new bugs list is as long as the fixes and new features list. What the hell has Mojang been doing for the past month?

Bloody hell... I might not play it for a while, at least now I know my broken axe wasn't an isolated event...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 27, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:It's not so much that I'm looking for plugins for my own server, I just want a good handle on the ones SexyTalon is using and their typical usage. I get the idea that Permissions and Groupmanager are anti-griefing measures, presumably they allow admins to control who can place/destroy blocks and where they can place/destroy them, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to find documentation to that effect and the commands which control them.
Right now we're running....

Spoiler:
Essentials
essentialsGroupBridge
EssentialsGroupManager
EssentialsSpawn
NetherPortals
Permissions

Though I freely admit that those need to be configured way the hell more than they are before they'll be useful.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri May 27, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
blalobw wrote:It's not so much that I'm looking for plugins for my own server, I just want a good handle on the ones SexyTalon is using and their typical usage. I get the idea that Permissions and Groupmanager are anti-griefing measures, presumably they allow admins to control who can place/destroy blocks and where they can place/destroy them, but for whatever reason I haven't been able to find documentation to that effect and the commands which control them.
Right now we're running....

Spoiler:
Essentials
essentialsGroupBridge
EssentialsGroupManager
EssentialsSpawn
NetherPortals
Permissions

Though I freely admit that those need to be configured way the hell more than they are before they'll be useful.

You need to choose between GroupManager (w/ groupbridge) or Permissions. Having both tends to fuck stuff up.
I personally (and I think the mods for my server agree) think Commandbook is better than essentials. The guy who is in charge of Commandbook (Sk89q) is also a member of the bukkit team.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 pm UTC

Just to clear things up for blalobw, GroupManager and Permissions are plugins that allow you to group users together and allow each group to be able to use a custom set of the commands that many plugins have.

For example, an "admin" (really you could call this anything) group may be able to use all commands while a normal user could only use some. The plugin comes with a bunch of default group that have different permissions having to do with GroupManager, and all you have to do is change the permissions. Most plugins will check if a player has permission to use that command before executing it (see each individual plugin's page for its permissions "nodes").

There is a "build" boolean in each group but unless you use another plugin as well that checks this (ex. AntiBuild) it does nothing.

To protect certain areas you must use something like WorldGuard.

You are right about GroupManager being the successor to permissions, but is currently not being developed and you should use Essentials GroupManager. the reason for the duplicate is that there is a "bridge" from permissions that just takes requests to the Permissions plugin and asks the GroupManager plugin because some plugins still use permissions.

About the TNT question, I've never heard of a plugin that does that. WorldGuard can stop TNT from igniting, but that's it.
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri May 27, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:I haven't updated, so I can zip up my .minecraft folder sans save (to save space) and upload it tomorrow evening if you don't find a solution by then.

I've been trying (and failing) to find a way to get a previous version downloaded and running for almost two hours. Ugh.

Yes, please, if you could, I'd be quite grateful. I feel foolish for updating.

I've confirmed it; the effective highest place you can place a block is now exactly one square lower. ...but the previously placed squares stay intact. ...so if I can get my glass sky squared off and pretty before the XKCD server updates, at least I won't have to tear half of it down in order to make it all match (I'd already been experimenting with having my sky be one meter lower anyway, so that I could try covering it with lava or water in order to see how it looked. Water's boring. Lava will have to wait)

zerotwo

Postby zerotwo » Fri May 27, 2011 11:42 pm UTC

Bugs be damned, I have building to do!

Waiting patiently for Psion to update his server, thank you for hosting it, I enjoy it tremendously.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri May 27, 2011 11:52 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:I've been trying (and failing) to find a way to get a previous version downloaded and running for almost two hours. Ugh.

There's a program called MCnostalgia that allows you to wind back your version, though you need to be able to run a python executable to make it work.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat May 28, 2011 12:43 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Levi wrote:WTF. The new bugs list is as long as the fixes and new features list. What the hell has Mojang been doing for the past month?

Bloody hell... I might not play it for a while, at least now I know my broken axe wasn't an isolated event...

You might also try a different pc and see if it's actually lag or how minecraft is running on your computer. I thought that lag was the problem on my desktop for the longest time, but it's really just how minecraft ran on my pc--i.e. minecraft changes caused problems with multiplayer. So it wasn't a latency issue persay but rather their code. As multiplayer had worked fine before.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sat May 28, 2011 1:05 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Yes, please, if you could, I'd be quite grateful.

Done and done.
Last edited by Cloud Walker on Sat May 28, 2011 3:44 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat May 28, 2011 1:25 am UTC

Cloud Walker wrote:
Feylias wrote:Yes, please, if you could, I'd be quite grateful.

Here's my 1.5_01 .minecraft folder:

http://www.mediafire.com/?j6oxvl618f7vqgk

It's still kinda large, but I don't know what essentials I can strip out that will completely determine the version.

you just need minecraft.jar to roll it back.

Permissions is still being updated, recently it was upgraded to 3.X. It is what you will want to use unless you are using essentials exclusively.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sat May 28, 2011 2:58 am UTC

1.6 is bullshit. I loaded my game, was immediately dead, and nothing from my inventory dropped.

Cloud Walker

Postby Cloud Walker » Sat May 28, 2011 5:15 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:you just need minecraft.jar to roll it back.

Thanks.
Last edited by Cloud Walker on Sat May 28, 2011 3:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat May 28, 2011 7:24 am UTC

Thank you Cloud Walker. I got it to work, finally. I'll be going on an internet-free business trip in a month or so. A long one. So I was going to be sad if I couldn't play on our server until then.

That said, please check your private message. Is immediately relevant.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat May 28, 2011 7:53 am UTC

Notch Tweeted: "Aack, sorry! I wasn't aware the bugs were that severe! =( I feel horrible now. I'll head in to the office tomorrow."

So Yay! He's aware of the game-killing bugs and is gonna fix them.

Thanks to all for your information regarding Permissions and plugins, the light just came on. I kept trying to figure out what permissions actually did in-game as a plugin and that was messing me up because it doesn't actually do anything to gameplay. What is does is help the admins and mods by allowing one config file to control which players can issue which commands, rather than having to update a separate and unique permission list for each and every plugin on a server. Correct?

psion

Postby psion » Sat May 28, 2011 9:23 am UTC

blalobw wrote:What is does is help the admins and mods by allowing one config file to control which players can issue which commands, rather than having to update a separate and unique permission list for each and every plugin on a server. Correct?

Pretty much, though editing permissions without the permissions plugin is a bit more difficult than you make it sound.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat May 28, 2011 7:50 pm UTC

1.6.5 actually seems playable ie its not hanging uncomfortably when I pan, and I don't take half a heart of suffocation damage from loading a game in which I had a ceiling above my head. Just goes to show that when notch says he's going to fix it he does.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun May 29, 2011 1:43 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:1.6.5 actually seems playable ie its not hanging uncomfortably when I pan, and I don't take half a heart of suffocation damage from loading a game in which I had a ceiling above my head. Just goes to show that when notch says he's going to fix it he does.

You know, I had that issue with losing half a heart when logging in before the 1.6 update. I always thought it was strange because it didn't always happen. Seems like they just made it more of a common problem by accident.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun May 29, 2011 2:48 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:You know, I had that issue with losing half a heart when logging in before the 1.6 update. I always thought it was strange because it didn't always happen. Seems like they just made it more of a common problem by accident.

That is strange. Wonder what caused it. 1.6 was meant to fix a problem with loading when you're crouched. If you save from a crouched position a lot, then... maybe that explains it? I thought the crouching problem was falling through the earth though. Another thing that 1.6 fixed was that when you saved facing east, you loaded facing east too: in the past, you loaded facing west, no matter what your previous orientation was. If you had a preference for orienting yourself in a particular way, close to a wall, when you saved, then that might have created a problem? Its puzzling, because I play a fair bit, and I didn't notice it till it was happening every time when I logged in with versions 1.6.0-4.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun May 29, 2011 5:17 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:You know, I had that issue with losing half a heart when logging in before the 1.6 update. I always thought it was strange because it didn't always happen. Seems like they just made it more of a common problem by accident.

That is strange. Wonder what caused it. 1.6 was meant to fix a problem with loading when you're crouched. If you save from a crouched position a lot, then... maybe that explains it? I thought the crouching problem was falling through the earth though. Another thing that 1.6 fixed was that when you saved facing east, you loaded facing east too: in the past, you loaded facing west, no matter what your previous orientation was. If you had a preference for orienting yourself in a particular way, close to a wall, when you saved, then that might have created a problem? Its puzzling, because I play a fair bit, and I didn't notice it till it was happening every time when I logged in with versions 1.6.0-4.

And it wasn't cause I got caught in a roof or anything, it'd happen in open air.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun May 29, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

Has anyone been on SecondTalon's server since the update? If that's what's keeping folks away go ahead and update, I'm getting lonely in there. (Of course I've got a lot done in the meantime.)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun May 29, 2011 10:15 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:Has anyone been on SexyTalon's server since the update? If that's what's keeping folks away go ahead and update, I'm getting lonely in there. (Of course I've got a lot done in the meantime.)

I was for a bit. I've just been a bit busy lately and hadn't got on. I'm working on putting roofing and floors in. Frankly, I'd like to get the exterior of the castle done within the month. That way I can see what I still need to get. And, I'm debating on whether to use my mossy cobblestone for the throne room or the dungeon.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sun May 29, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

I am staying away from the server until the update because I dont want to rollback my version.
I dont know if I mentioned it or not yet but I am weirdscott on the server.
While I am waiting for the server to update, however long that will take, I have been playing around with trap doors and such in single player
these are words
type, type, type

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun May 29, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Oh how I long for psion's server to be updated. I am so stoked for multiplayer nether. Update it soon!
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon May 30, 2011 12:12 am UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:I am staying away from the server until the update because I dont want to rollback my version.
I dont know if I mentioned it or not yet but I am weirdscott on the server.
While I am waiting for the server to update, however long that will take, I have been playing around with trap doors and such in single player

For once my desktop's wonderful aversion with playing multiplayer has been useful. I can update that version and leave my laptops pc version alone.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Mon May 30, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I'm debating on whether to use my mossy cobblestone for the throne room or the dungeon.

I'll have to bring my collection and throw it in one of your chests.

I'm trying to round out and make pretty my glass ceiling before it's too late, so I got on last night and did the most crucial parts. Now, even if this server was updated tomorrow, my sky would look good enough.

I also experimented with the Nether, and making a travel route via it. I'll keep tinkering, but I've almost got a very swift route set up between spawn and my home. ^_^ Fun stuff. ...hitting the nether directly from Spawn is dangerous. I killed a wight with my bare hands (the first wight I ever saw; it was attacking but I couldn't see the attacks. Just feel.) ...and then another wight bombed me into an ocean of lava.

I stumbled into someone's casual mine (by a farm forest by Narnia) at night, couldn't leave, so I mined some there (made a route to obsidian), left my stuff behind, and entered the Nether with nothing but pickaxes and fire. Yay!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon May 30, 2011 5:36 am UTC

I think I'm going to use it for my dungeon, I have just enough to do the floors and ceiling with it. I think it has a much better dungeony feel, the only reason it'd fit the throne them is rarity, but it's not something you'd normally find in a shiny metal location and I like the idea of gold and more rare elements being the walkway past the lava to the diamond throne.

Return to “Gaming”