Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Windowlicker

Re: Minecraft

Postby Windowlicker » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:19 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:How hard would it be to get it to snap to outputs as well as inputs though?

This is more or less the problem I was trying to solve, but put this way it would probably be a lot easier to just update the snapping. Maybe once they "release" "official" modding, I'll look into it more. As it stands, last time I looked into the code, the obfuscation made me almost break down.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:20 pm UTC

There's additional data that can be stored in an item, why not a block?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Yeah, redstone could do with some improvements. It looks like it's unlikely to change though, seeing as how it's been around since the beginning of Alpha.
Eh, built-in AND, NAND, OR and NOR tiles (like the repeaters) would do wonders.

Very true. That and the outputs thing and I'd be happy with it.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
uncivlengr wrote:I saw a really neat idea on Reddit once for a breadboard block - it opens up like a crafting table with perhaps a 7x7 working area, and has an input at the bottom and an output at top - you'd arrange redstone wires and torches any way you like in the space available, to make condensed circuitboards for things like logic gates. Then you place it just like delay blocks.

I imagine the way data is stored in the game would make this difficult or impossible, but it's a neat concept.

There's additional data that can be stored in an item, why not a block?

Nesting. I also don't quite know how the game would parse it - would it virtualize a 7x7 segment of the Minecraft world and run the redstone within it? Due to that, would it be easier to make it a 16x16 chunk?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:04 pm UTC

I was thinking more having every single possible combination of... well, a 3x3 area to be reasonable on that front calculated, then have a different number for each following the breadboard item thing.

So you'd be able to go around, have a pulse generator, make bigger things by tiling the boards next to each other...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

I think the "attribute" of each block is only 16 bits - good enough for door orientation, wool colour, etc, but doesn't give you all the combinations for even a 3x3, which would require at least 45* bits if you limit the breadboard to redstone wires and torches, plus 4 bits for the orientation.

*five for empty, wire on/off, torch on/off, for each of the nine spots

(edited a few times as I thought about it)
I don't know what to do for you

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

What you want to read is this

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tile_entity

It tells you all about how regular blocks have 4 bits of data attached to them, known as metadata, but that there are other blocks with more data attached. There's certainly an extant coding mechanism there that could be used to this purpose. I wonder if it would feel right though, or whether is would feel like it was breaking game logic.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

Surely they could do a T Flip-Flop block in seconds? That piece is vital for almost every circuit I've done so far...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Surely they could do a T Flip-Flop block in seconds? That piece is vital for almost every circuit I've done so far...

And ponies! T Flip-Flops and Ponies! Pink ones!

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Gravel or sand elevator works fine. Though I haven't actually built anything yet, I see it being fairly simple. Have a stack of gravel, have a line of gravel going from the bottom of that, so it's basically an L shape. Have a piston be on the other side at the bottom pushing that line. Have a piston facing upward right under where that line will be going, pushing it up. You stand there to begin with and so it pushes you up while continually putting more gravel under you. You now have a mirrored L that you're standing on top of. To go down, just have two more pistons which mirror the originals and recreate the original L. I'm not sure if the game will hate you for trying to shove in more gravel before the stack falls, but assuming that's fine, I think this would work pretty simply.

I actually have a system set up in a U shape; but it's similar. Basically, I shove up the gravel, and I time it just so that the piston shoves at the same time (although I currently have a transition step). The best part is that the logic is very, very simple, and going down is the same as going up. I can also get the system to repeat multiple times in a row, although stopping it appears to be the problem for me (and if I screw up timing or let it run out of gravel, gravel randomly disappears, but that's only if I screw up).

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:23 am UTC

I think I get what you mean, and yeah, that's pretty cool, and would probably work. What I meant was that standing on falling sand doesn't work - I think the sand becomes non-solid or something when falling, it's really weird. It basically throws you out of the elevator.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:29 am UTC

Well i decided that a piston elevator would be too much work to construct, but I did make a piston escalator! Automatically moves a player up a set of stairs, slowly, noisily, and inefficiently. Also takes way more space than regular stairs, but hey, it's automatic! *L*

Realistically I only plan on using 2 piston elevators, and only when I want to make invisible exits from my underground fortresses.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:34 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Well i decided that a piston elevator would be too much work to construct, but I did make a piston escalator! Automatically moves a player up a set of stairs, slowly, noisily, and inefficiently. Also takes way more space than regular stairs, but hey, it's automatic! *L*

Realistically I only plan on using 2 piston elevators, and only when I want to make invisible exits from my underground fortresses.
Anything like this?
Ⓞⓞ◯

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:23 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:Well i decided that a piston elevator would be too much work to construct, but I did make a piston escalator! Automatically moves a player up a set of stairs, slowly, noisily, and inefficiently. Also takes way more space than regular stairs, but hey, it's automatic! *L*

Anything like this?

Yep, exactly like that
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:40 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:

Anything like this?

Yep, exactly like that

Yeah, who needs a down elevator. I can fly towards the ground quite well. :P

Also, that texture pack has a great moon texture.

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:20 am UTC

Well the elevator now works completely (but is extremely slow to go down)

pics:
Spoiler:
2011-07-06_02.34.27.png

- Overview

2011-07-06_02.33.22.png

- The right three columns of this dirt structure are two (A AND !B)'s and an RS NOR latch, they took a while to get to tile, and do not interfere with each other despite what the redstone on the top may look like it is doing (this took a while and is what i was complaining about before)

2011-07-06_02.35.02.png

- This is another view of that circuit, from the other side. Notice the torch underground (view full size). That transmission up through a block really made this possible.
- What else allowed me to tile was realizing that you can also send a signal by a pulse to OFF, not just a pulse to ON (see those lines that are constantly on in the bottom of the above screenshot) and also the ability of repeaters to pass current without affecting blocks beside it as well as to act as a diode.

2011-07-06_03.02.04.png

- Here are the pistons, fully retracted. You can't really see them from elsewhere

Also, as a side note this is on my SMP server (you can see me setting the time in the second last screenshot)
And, if anyone has noticed, yes i do do my best thinking in a few hours preceding 3am :wink:
Finally, if anyone would like an explanation what stuff does, I would be glad to provide one.
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:40 am UTC

walkerm930 wrote:Well the elevator now works completely (but is extremely slow to go down)

pics:
Spoiler:
2011-07-06_02.34.27.png

- Overview

2011-07-06_02.33.22.png

- The right three columns of this dirt structure are two (A AND !B)'s and an RS NOR latch, they took a while to get to tile, and do not interfere with each other despite what the redstone on the top may look like it is doing (this took a while and is what i was complaining about before)

2011-07-06_02.35.02.png

- This is another view of that circuit, from the other side. Notice the torch underground (view full size). That transmission up through a block really made this possible.
- What else allowed me to tile was realizing that you can also send a signal by a pulse to OFF, not just a pulse to ON (see those lines that are constantly on in the bottom of the above screenshot) and also the ability of repeaters to pass current without affecting blocks beside it as well as to act as a diode.

2011-07-06_03.02.04.png

- Here are the pistons, fully retracted. You can't really see them from elsewhere

Also, as a side note this is on my SMP server (you can see me setting the time in the second last screenshot)
And, if anyone has noticed, yes i do do my best thinking in a few hours preceding 3am :wink:
Finally, if anyone would like an explanation what stuff does, I would be glad to provide one.

That's amazing! Can you upload a video to youtube?

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

New tumblr post from notch:

Spoiler:
Most of the basics of the game engine is in place, so it’s time to flesh this game out into something more gamey. More content, more exploration, more things to do, and interesting combat! Once this update is out, there will only some tweaks, optimizations and code cleanups left to the core game before we can call it a full release.

We’ve got a list of some 40+ things we want to add to the game, some small, some big. Some huge. We’ve finished a fair number of the items, but there’s still a significant amount of work left. While I can’t reveal the date yet for various reasons, we do have a release date for the Adventure Update in mind, and we’re hoping we’ll be able to hit it.

Jens and I are keeping the exact contents of the update secret, but we do leak some information every now and then to keep people interested and to stop us from going insane. For the most immediate spoilers, you can follow us on Twitter (@notch and @jeb_), or on Google+ (+Markus Persson and +Jens Bergensten).

Here are a few of the things we’ve revealed so far:

NPC villages
Randomly generated dungeons
New biome code
Fully working Creative Mode (and individual admins can enter Creative Mode on a Survival Mode server if they choose)
Critical hits
Sprinting
More farming options

As soon as I can reveal the release date we’re aiming for, I will!

Oh, and the modding support is happening, honest.

Sprinting! Yaaay. If only I didn't already have "jump" bound to R. I wonder if the NPC villages are going to be like Millenaire, but with most of the cool stuff left out (a la pistons).

I do wonder if turning it into 'more of a game' was the idea from the start.. I always thought that part of the appeal was that you just had to make it up yourself. Will have to see what the rest of these major updates are before making a decision on that though, I guess.

And just to add some slightly less.. complain-y content to my post, I built me some statues of.. (Minecraft) me in one of my castles:

2011-07-06_13.38.18.png

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Windowlicker wrote:New tumblr post from notch:

Spoiler:
Most of the basics of the game engine is in place, so it’s time to flesh this game out into something more gamey. More content, more exploration, more things to do, and interesting combat! Once this update is out, there will only some tweaks, optimizations and code cleanups left to the core game before we can call it a full release.

We’ve got a list of some 40+ things we want to add to the game, some small, some big. Some huge. We’ve finished a fair number of the items, but there’s still a significant amount of work left. While I can’t reveal the date yet for various reasons, we do have a release date for the Adventure Update in mind, and we’re hoping we’ll be able to hit it.

Jens and I are keeping the exact contents of the update secret, but we do leak some information every now and then to keep people interested and to stop us from going insane. For the most immediate spoilers, you can follow us on Twitter (@notch and @jeb_), or on Google+ (+Markus Persson and +Jens Bergensten).

Here are a few of the things we’ve revealed so far:

NPC villages
Randomly generated dungeons
New biome code
Fully working Creative Mode (and individual admins can enter Creative Mode on a Survival Mode server if they choose)
Critical hits
Sprinting
More farming options

As soon as I can reveal the release date we’re aiming for, I will!

Oh, and the modding support is happening, honest.

Sprinting! Yaaay. If only I didn't already have "jump" bound to R. I wonder if the NPC villages are going to be like Millenaire, but with most of the cool stuff left out (a la pistons).

I do wonder if turning it into 'more of a game' was the idea from the start.. I always thought that part of the appeal was that you just had to make it up yourself. Will have to see what the rest of these major updates are before making a decision on that though, I guess.

And just to add some slightly less.. complain-y content to my post, I built me some statues of.. (Minecraft) me in one of my castles:

2011-07-06_13.38.18.png

Remember, 'Adventure' will just be another game mode. MineCraft Survival will remain largely unchanged, par the addition of new items, combat system, mobs, etc.

But does anyone else think that Adventure mode is... kind of pointless? It's been confirmed that you won't be able to place or remove blocks - so it sounds to me like it'll become a generic action-RPG with a mildly interesting art direction.

But I'll wait till it's released. It could surprise me.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

Yeah, adventure mode will only be as interesting as the pseudo-randomly based content (new dungeons, NPC, ruins, villages, chasms, etc...) can make it.

Mcmapper made some pretty cool dungeons, but after a while they became uninteresting. With 10x the variety it would have been awesome.

So here goes: If the dungeons are 10x as good as Mcmapper's and the villages/npcs are 10x as good we will have a really worthwhile adventure mode.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Oh right, I didn't realise it was an entirely separate mode, I just thought they were tagging the stuff onto what we've got now. In light of this new information, my interest in this update has now gone even further down. How much of this will seep into survival? I'd quite like villages/ruins/more 'interesting' terrain generation in that. Seems like just another idea being taken from the community (shockingly, 'adventure' maps), just with.. less interesting content/storylines. I don't think this update will affect me much, seeing as I play mostly on peaceful anyway. One thing I would quite like that I think was mentioned in a blog/twitter post before is dungeon maps. And, you know, maps on a different scale.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

It's my understanding that it will all be in survival, so we will have a ton of new content to explore. My intention when the update comes is to make a longish railroad in the nether so we can have a third town in a whole new area.

One really neat feature would be if the new towns/NPCs were "living" in the sense that the NPCs actually build new houses, gather materials, occasionally reproduce, farm, use tools, workbenches, chests and furnaces properly, and basically act like real folks. Of course all that would add to server load, but IMHO the sheer fantasticness of it would be worth the load.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:

Anything like this?

Yep, exactly like that

Well, my elevator just became obsolete :/

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:One really neat feature would be if the new towns/NPCs were "living" in the sense that the NPCs actually build new houses, gather materials, occasionally reproduce, farm, use tools, workbenches, chests and furnaces properly, and basically act like real folks. Of course all that would add to server load, but IMHO the sheer fantasticness of it would be worth the load.

This is what the Millenaire mod does. I don't know if they gather their own materials, but you can definitely trade with them: when you supply them with enough, they'll build a new building, which will add new features. They also reproduce, I think right now it has children, teenagers and adults. I also saw a mod a few months ago that added NPCs with specific features: hunters, builders, miners etc. I don't think it would be too much work on Mojang's part to shove these two mods together to create dynamic villages of useful NPCs.
The one thing I'm not fantastically keen on is that it'll mostly appear in only new terrain. Which means I'll either have to go quite a long way in my main world to find any of it, or start a new world. Alternatively, can you selectively delete chunks and have them regenerate?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Re: Adventure Mode

This will be useful for map makers and the like. People can play downloaded maps that are designed with the block limitations in mind. I imagine it will stream line the adventure map experience while adding much more.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

Windowlicker wrote:The one thing I'm not fantastically keen on is that it'll mostly appear in only new terrain. Which means I'll either have to go quite a long way in my main world to find any of it, or start a new world. Alternatively, can you selectively delete chunks and have them regenerate?

See, that would actually appeal to me. Building a railway or something to the closest town would give me a project.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

I'm probably late to the party on this, but wha???
Screen shot 2011-07-07 at 3.33.51 AM.png

edit: apparently its a dead shrub. Good to know.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

That would be a dead shrub. They were added in 1.6. They're purely aesthetic; they don't do anything, don't drop resources, and can't be obtained without inventory hacking.

Edit: Apparently you figured it out yourself.

Also, I'm upset about the piston powering convention again. I thought I had it figured out, but now that I actually did all the circuitry for my elevator, it turns out I was wrong and it's not going to work. Sad face.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:27 pm UTC

I reckon that the dead shrubs should drop a stick. Ah well.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Actually, I was (still am) under the impression that Adventure stuff is in Survival Mode. Notch said "and individual admins can enter Creative Mode on a Survival Mode server if they choose". Nowhere does he mention Adventure Mode.

I think what I will do is keep my current world and a copy of 1.7.3, make one map, fill the confines of the map with awesome stuff, then move that world to 1.8 and start expanding the generated world. I'll also, of course, make a new world as soon as 1.8 comes out.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Either way I think adventure mode will be important. I'd like to see "adventure zones" more than anything. Set aside areas of a normal server into an adventure area where blocks can't be altered beyond normal the creator's intent. I've made a lot of fun things with pistons in the way of gates and stuff but I'm always a little sad when I realize "yea... but some dude with a diamond pickaxe and a pile of dirt would just ignore anything I'm making."

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

Don't admins have the ability to make regions non-editable anyway? I think the area around spawn in a couple of servers I've seen won't let you change blocks.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

Windowlicker wrote:
blalobw wrote:One really neat feature would be if the new towns/NPCs were "living" in the sense that the NPCs actually build new houses, gather materials, occasionally reproduce, farm, use tools, workbenches, chests and furnaces properly, and basically act like real folks. Of course all that would add to server load, but IMHO the sheer fantasticness of it would be worth the load.

This is what the Millenaire mod does. I don't know if they gather their own materials, but you can definitely trade with them: when you supply them with enough, they'll build a new building, which will add new features. They also reproduce, I think right now it has children, teenagers and adults. I also saw a mod a few months ago that added NPCs with specific features: hunters, builders, miners etc. I don't think it would be too much work on Mojang's part to shove these two mods together to create dynamic villages of useful NPCs.
The one thing I'm not fantastically keen on is that it'll mostly appear in only new terrain. Which means I'll either have to go quite a long way in my main world to find any of it, or start a new world. Alternatively, can you selectively delete chunks and have them regenerate?

From what I've seen on the yogscast, I do believe they actually gather resource material.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Windowlicker wrote:

From what I've seen on the yogscast, I do believe they actually gather resource material.

In which case yeah, adopting that mod would straight up give them that. Perhaps adding the entire Yogbox or whatever they called it would do. Or fixing the modding so I don't have to edit the jars every 2 days. I do wonder why the button in the menu still says "Mods and Texture Packs", when mods have nothing to do with it.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Windowlicker wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
Windowlicker wrote:

In which case yeah, adopting that mod would straight up give them that. Perhaps adding the entire Yogbox or whatever they called it would do. Or fixing the modding so I don't have to edit the jars every 2 days. I do wonder why the button in the menu still says "Mods and Texture Packs", when mods have nothing to do with it.

Quite frankly, they'd probably just do better if they put the yogscast in charge of development plans. Adding annoying game mechanics to get wool from sheep was such an improvement. My immersion is greatly enhanced. I guess I'll just get back to building things that never had much need of wool to start with.

I mean, the better than wolves mod adds levels of amazing functionality and opens possibilities of doing things I'd really like. Instead, we now have to sheer sheep and can make hedges. Call me unimpressed.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

Windowlicker wrote:Don't admins have the ability to make regions non-editable anyway? I think the area around spawn in a couple of servers I've seen won't let you change blocks.

Only by installing mods that restrict regions. Spawn Protect is built in, but it's also kinda annoying to deal with.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

The reason I've always been led to believe Survival and Adventure will be completely different is because Notch has said before that you will not be able to place or remove blocks in Adventure Mode. So... yeah. That's pretty conclusive. Who knows, though, he might've changed his mind.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Only by installing mods that restrict regions. Spawn Protect is built in, but it's also kinda annoying to deal with.

Ah ok, I didn't realise it was a mod. To be honest I know more or less nothing about SMP, or running a server. But hey, this is another piece of work already done for Mojang.
Does anyone know what the procedure is when they adpot a mod into the game? Do they just take it? Does the original modder get any.. reimbursement? I realise people don't make mods for making money anyway, but for a game with millions of sales it seems harsh to just take all that work.

Jahoclave wrote:Quite frankly, they'd probably just do better if they put the yogscast in charge of development plans. Adding annoying game mechanics to get wool from sheep was such an improvement. My immersion is greatly enhanced. I guess I'll just get back to building things that never had much need of wool to start with.

I mean, the better than wolves mod adds levels of amazing functionality and opens possibilities of doing things I'd really like. Instead, we now have to sheer sheep and can make hedges. Call me unimpressed.

The shears thing is because they're going to make animals more persistent in the game world.. they'll be able to regrow wool, for example (while typing this I realised I don't know if there's going to be much difference to the rest of the animals: with the exception of dem burds they're only useful dead...). I'd quite like tree regrowth too. At first I was quite keen about this idea, but now.. eh, I don't really think it's going to make much of a difference to me. A bit of a novelty for a while.

I think the best option for us all will just be to accept that minecraft is essentially an engine, and that mods are going to be what makes it fun for each individual. They're not really hard to install, and the community is always going to have more and better ideas (and more inspiration/enthusiasm to create and improve these ideas) than Mojang or any game developer. Especially with the official release coming up, and apparently so few of the best ideas being incorporated into the game.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Windowlicker wrote:Don't admins have the ability to make regions non-editable anyway? I think the area around spawn in a couple of servers I've seen won't let you change blocks.

Only by installing mods that restrict regions. Spawn Protect is built in, but it's also kinda annoying to deal with.

Furthermore these things are really in the hands of the admins. If I want to set up an adventure on a server I'm not Admin on it's just not feasable right now.

I can see adventure mode working on regular servers by way of an "adventure gate".

Think of it this way: you make a gate similar to the nether gate except made out of, I dunno, steel blocks, or something. Anyone passes through the gate is put into "adventure mode" where they can't modify blocks anymore. Alternately you could have an adventure boundry. You mark it out the same way you use redstone, and when it forms a completed solid object, the area inside that object is "adventure mode" from bedrock to sky. Mmm I actually like this idea best. And the adventure zone line can only be moved or modified by the person who laid it out in the first place.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:56 am UTC

Well, there's also the potential that the adventure mode could be wrapped up in that skyrealm or something like that. Who knows. I want pink ponies already.

Return to “Gaming”