Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kain

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

Anyone find any pumpkin seeds yet? I have melon seeds up the wazoo on my ssp (though I did lose quite a few when I died with all the loot from the moment of awesome in the subsequent moment of shame...), but I can't seem to find any pumpkin seeds. I have plenty of pumpkins, mind you, but I really want a pumpkin patch for a little project I have in mind...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

Pumpkin seeds are unobtainable in 1.8.1 (the current version). Normally, seeds have to be found either 1) In Abandoned Mine Shafts or 2) from Mature Pumpkin Stems. The latter do not occur naturally, and only show up when you have planted your first pumpkin seed. Once plated, you have the stem, and once the stem matures/grows, a pumpkin will eventually appear. You then destroy the stem and get seeds.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Pity about them not appearing yet. No great pumpkin (made out of smaller pumpkins and wool) yet...

On the plus side, I recently read on the wiki that mining a stone brick staircase that faces north will always yield the mossy stone brick variant. Tested it, found that it works... now I know what my preferred building material shall be (pity about losing 2 blocks for every conversion, but whatever, its renewable).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:00 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I could run my server as a more-or-less vanilla server, but unfortunately my friends are all dead-set on /home and /back -- the latter basically making dying not matter, unless lava is involved.

As all gods are, you're obligated to answer prayers.

Many gods answer "no."

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

Kain wrote:Pity about them not appearing yet. No great pumpkin (made out of smaller pumpkins and wool) yet...

On the plus side, I recently read on the wiki that mining a stone brick staircase that faces north will always yield the mossy stone brick variant. Tested it, found that it works... now I know what my preferred building material shall be (pity about losing 2 blocks for every conversion, but whatever, its renewable).

The great pumpkin is a myth, it will never be implemented.
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:48 pm UTC

RoberII wrote:
Kain wrote:Pity about them not appearing yet. No great pumpkin (made out of smaller pumpkins and wool) yet...

The great pumpkin is a myth, it will never be implemented.

But I have the sincerest pumpkin patch ever!

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
Enokh wrote:I could run my server as a more-or-less vanilla server, but unfortunately my friends are all dead-set on /home and /back -- the latter basically making dying not matter, unless lava is involved.

As all gods are, you're obligated to answer prayers.

Many gods answer "no."

Yeah, but I'd rather play with my friends on a slightly sub-optimal server than with strangers on an optimal one.

They ain't getting /back though.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:43 am UTC

I don't know if I can handle 1.81

My first attempt at generating a new world I used the seed OCTOPUS
Spoiler:
Which gave me a small island in the middle of a vast ocean. There were no signs of life save for weeds and squids in the deep. I found another island just barely within sight which had a single tree. Destroying the tree yielded some blocks of wood and a single sapling. I returned to the first island to plant the sapling and dig myself a shelter, pointless though as it seemed in the morning with no sign of even hostile mob activity. I was able to plant some seeds I gathered from destroying weeds, but they grow more slowly than my health bar diminishes. There's a pit that goes straight down too deep for me to see the bottom of it, and I fear to explore it with out food or protection. I swam as far as I could without losing sight of the island without finding anything but deep ocean and squid.
That's where I left that world; waiting for plants to grow so I don't starve alone in an empty land.

Which was an oddly chilling and melancholy 15minute or half hour experience.
So I don't recommend that seed unless you are up for a challenge and are perhaps less imaginative than me.

I will be happy when they fix the lighting for chests and paintings.
Is there a way to bring back the toggle-render-distance short cut? I'm still hitting the F key reflexively.

The mine shafts full of endermen: still terrifying when there is no such thing as damage to my character.

I kinda started trying to make some (simple) texture packs. Haven't done much yet.
Last edited by cephalopod9 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:57 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:OCTOPUS

I think you've found the last level.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:26 am UTC

You know that's actually kind of neat. Turning the game into a "stranded on a deserted island" simulator. I wonder if you could survive long enough to build a boat and escape
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:51 am UTC

You just need to find one tree and you're set. Three bits of wood will give you a crafting table and a boat, with three planks left over.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:00 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I don't know if I can handle 1.81

Spoiler:
Which gave me a small island in the middle of a vast ocean. There were no signs of life save for weeds and squids in the deep. I found another island just barely within sight which had a single tree. Destroying the tree yielded some blocks of wood and a single sapling. I returned to the first island to plant the sapling and dig myself a shelter, pointless though as it seemed in the morning with no sign of even hostile mob activity. I was able to plant some seeds I gathered from destroying weeds, but they grow more slowly than my health bar diminishes. There's a pit that goes straight down too deep for me to see the bottom of it, and I fear to explore it with out food or protection. I swam as far as I could without losing sight of the island without finding anything but deep ocean and squid.
That's where I left that world; waiting for plants to grow so I don't starve alone in an empty land.

So I don't recommend that seed unless you are up for a challenge and are perhaps less imaginative than me.

Is there a way to bring back the toggle-render-distance short cut? I'm still hitting the F key reflexively.

The mine shafts full of endermen: still terrifying when there is no such thing as damage to my character.

I kinda started trying to make some (simple) texture packs. Haven't done much yet.

Here's an adventure for you. It kind of spoils stuff, so... here.

Lets just say that there's more to that "island" than meets the eye.

Spoiler:
Jump down the pit. Do it. There's a pool of water that's safe to fall into. Look at the southwest corner of the bottom, a bit to the left of the water sprouting out the wall. Break the stone until the 'opening' gives way. You'll know it when you see it. Take right. When you see a pit, descend carefully and follow the path. Just keep following the path. You'll know your destination when you see it.

Also, there's a small island nearby. And some tiny bits of sand poking above the surface here and there. But yeah, you just discovered the minecraft version of the middle of nowhere.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Steax wrote:But yeah, you just discovered the minecraft version of the middle of nowhere.
Sorry to disappoint you, but you can find the mainland if you head
Spoiler:
south west about half a kilometre (assuming the Sun rises in the east)
The seed "-8732848939719592545" (not quite as memorable as OCTOPUS) will spawn you here, though you do get some trees nearby:
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

Then I wonder if all minecraft oceans are like that; those seeds just happen to spawn us in the middle of one.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:I don't know if I can handle 1.81

Spoiler:

Here's an adventure for you. It kind of spoils stuff, so... here.

Lets just say that there's more to that "island" than meets the eye.

Spoiler:
Jump down the pit. Do it. There's a pool of water that's safe to fall into. Look at the southwest corner of the bottom, a bit to the left of the water sprouting out the wall. Break the stone until the 'opening' gives way. You'll know it when you see it. Take right. When you see a pit, descend carefully and follow the path. Just keep following the path. You'll know your destination when you see it.

Also, there's a small island nearby. And some tiny bits of sand poking above the surface here and there. But yeah, you just discovered the minecraft version of the middle of nowhere.

That was awesome :)

So much ore, and no picks... I spotted some diamond...

Seems like 1.8 makes it really easy to get minerals :D
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

At least you survived the adventure, I dropped straight into lava the first time. =/

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

I'm so glad that playing MP makes Lava just a LITTLE slower. . . I keep forgetting to be cautious and end up standing next to the blocks I'm mining, which is a HUGE no-no once you get down far enough.

I've also decided that mining Obsidian is for chumps, and that I'll be making my portals with buckets of water and lava, and a nice dirt mold.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:50 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I'm so glad that playing MP makes Lava just a LITTLE slower. . . I keep forgetting to be cautious and end up standing next to the blocks I'm mining, which is a HUGE no-no once you get down far enough.

I've also decided that mining Obsidian is for chumps, and that I'll be making my portals with buckets of water and lava, and a nice dirt mold.

You're going to cast a portal then? I can dig it.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I'm so glad that playing MP makes Lava just a LITTLE slower. . . I keep forgetting to be cautious and end up standing next to the blocks I'm mining, which is a HUGE no-no once you get down far enough.

That sound like a... really efficient way to make a house.

Why didn't I think of this before?!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

It would take a lot of iron, unless you want to make tons of trips with just a few buckets each.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

Yeah, it'll really depend on how far away your lava is.

Also, since Obsidian is no longer a renewable/infinite resource (now that only the "lava spring" block will turn into Obsidian, with the rivers coming out of it turning to cobblestone), using molds aren't quite as awesome. You basically have to assemble your mold as you pour lava in. Still better than mining the obsidian, if it's a small project.

It won't be quite as annoying as my lapis lazuli house, in any case.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

Seriously, use the redstone trick. Redstone is cheap and plentiful, and if you ever have a redstone line next to flowing water, when lava hits the redstone it becomes obsidian.

You can make huge lattices of portals with this (I did; above somewhere I have a picture) or just make houses and such. Some constructions require careful advance planning and understanding of how to get water to be flowing next to the redstone without washing it away (and if the water is too high, it doesn't work; you want water at less than half max height.)

In unrelated news, Notch sent a tweet, a few hours ago, that says:

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/116186387878920193

Notch wrote:By the way, I will nerf the endermen block carrying. It was a horrible idea.

...I hope he doesn't take that out entirely, but I do think the endermen needed it. I like downloadable maps, and especially those that have puzzle solving, story/history, and resource conservation. Endermen kinda break that at the same time they break machines and aesthetics.

Enokh wrote:Obsidian is no longer a renewable/infinite resource

Um... ^_^;; Time for me to boot up my 8.1-loaded machine and see if the obsidian trick still works. ^_^;;

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Also, since Obsidian is no longer a renewable/infinite resource (now that only the "lava spring" block will turn into Obsidian, with the rivers coming out of it turning to cobblestone)

Was it ever like that? I don't seem to recall that working.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

It was like that in Alpha before I started playing, so.. like.. a year and a half ago or something. I think.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

Yeah, alright. But the way Enokh said that, it sounded like it was possible up until 1.8.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:In unrelated news, Notch sent a tweet, a few hours ago, that says:

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/116186387878920193

Notch wrote:By the way, I will nerf the endermen block carrying. It was a horrible idea.

...I hope he doesn't take that out entirely, but I do think the endermen needed it. I like downloadable maps, and especially those that have puzzle solving, story/history, and resource conservation. Endermen kinda break that at the same time they break machines and aesthetics.
The most sensible thing, in my opinion, is to have Endermen only pick up blocks when angry. Then you don't get them tearing apart forests or causing suspended sand and gravel to collapse, but do have them able to tear apart things once you provoke them. (Alternatively, you can have a "placed" tag for every block, determining whether or not you put it there or it spawned there, and have Endermen tear apart anything you built, and thus only things carved out of the world are safe.)
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:08 pm UTC

It'd be cool to have aggro'd Endermen pick up blocks and throw them at you.
Feylias wrote:Seriously, use the redstone trick. Redstone is cheap and plentiful, and if you ever have a redstone line next to flowing water, when lava hits the redstone it becomes obsidian.

Wow... I just found out about this. It seems kind of random.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

Just started a proper 1.8 file, and... I guess once you've played MineCraft once, it's easy. I already have 46 iron and around 100 coal.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Oh, yeah, sorry -- I just remembered it working when I first started playing, and I couldn't remember when that was. And I remember really missing it when I got back into Minecraft.

I'll have to check out this redstone thing. Hope it still works in 1.8.x!

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

Obsidian can still be made using redstone.

...I say, hours later, having started a world on my other computer. I've decided that, henceforth, all games I play single player are "hardcore"; once I die I'm done with that world and that seed, forever, except as a tourist. This keeps me honest (no emptying my inventory into a chest and then digging a shaft straight down to the bedrock, and no rushing incautiously ahead)

The only reason I've managed to quit is that I ran out of memory. Caverns are wonderfully ridiculous; if all blocks fell the way sand does, most of the map would be below sea level.

...and I spent a long time running around and jump-killing creatures. DIE, cow! I want your useless XP! And your stackable meats and potential armor! And the XP!

so, yeah.

I got an enderman pearl just by rushing out of my house in the early morning and watching some endermen burn to death in the light. I think Endermen need to have a vision range similar to that of ghasts.

..now to try to get the new achievement. Fifty meters? That's gonna be pretty hard. Maybe if I build a spawning pad with fences and a sunshade...

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

Okay, that OCTOPUS seed is awesome. I've decided to use that as my hardcore world... (insane, really)

For whatever reason, my internal narrative acts as though the player is some castaway, and mobs are pirates or privateers. Eating rotten flesh is thus cannibalism, explaining the sickness...

Also, yeah, 50 meters is tough. I've got a pretty good area on my Sydney seed where I intend to set up a firing range to practice, but at the moment that is on hold (died with all my fences and rails etc, taking a break from that map).

Feylias

Enderman Nerf

Postby Feylias » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

Problems with endermen, from different people's perspectives.

1) They make the terrain ugly, leaving floating trees, random stumps, and bumps/holes in sod.
Solution: I don't have one.

2) They destroy redstone machinery, mob traps, and other functional works.
Solution: Rework everything to include moats and light on the inside or to not have enough room for E-men to spawn.

3) They make user-created stuff ugly, including some things that can't feasibly be lit or moated.
Solution: I don't have one.

4) They can damage your home, dump out and move your chests and furnaces, and break your portals.
Solution: Torches and water, still?

5) They make downloadable maps problematic. Having the user wander a labyrinth filled with zombie spawners doesn't work so well if the Endermen ruin it. ...and if the Endermen break your traps...
Solution: Upgrade all the maps?

6) They can move BEDROCK!?
Solution: don't have exposed bedrock. Ever.

Reasons the Endermen are awesome:
A) They look cool
B) They have unusual personality, to include how they aggro and how they attack.
C) They add entropy to the game, making disused structures take damage over time.
D) https://mikeytheblackmantis.deviantart.com/#/d46tnu7

...I'm conflicted. I REALLY like D, for instance, so I want them to be able to remove doors and simple walls...but don't want to ruin the creativity of all the map makers.

-----

Unrelated: Endermen cannot remove the block under their feet or above their head. ...this means you could create small E-man spawning rooms that would, once the E-man spawned and removed a block, trigger a water flow that would kill them and wash the pearl to a collection area. ...but you'd have to go through and repair missing cells (unless you created a cobble generator that did that automatically, but that would add a layer of complexity that would limit the size of this apparatus. Hmm.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not going back on my usual map until Endermen have been nerfed.

Unrelated - on my new game, I've already found 5 Diamond. Oh, and then it crashed for the 60th time >.>

I really hope they get it fixed up before the release date...

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:17 pm UTC

It's yet to crash for me, but I admittedly have a pretty hoss machine.

Also successfully copy/pasted from my old 1.7 server into my 1.8 server. Huge star tower, with a ring of fire via nether-rack, and an underwater thing. Was delightfully easy. I used MCEdit.

and yes, Endermen are WTF annoying. Thankfully, I have a penchant for mountaintops, floating cities, underwater cities, and other such things.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

I haven't had an Enderman remove anything other than tree trunks. Which is quite welcome, since forest biomes (as with all biomes nowadays) are kinda boring. So, I'm not going to be playing much Minecraft until terrain generation is made more varied again.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:14 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Yeah, I'm not going back on my usual map until Endermen have been nerfed.

Unrelated - on my new game, I've already found 5 Diamond. Oh, and then it crashed for the 60th time >.>

I really hope they get it fixed up before the release date...

Try adjusting your viewing distance to Normal as opposed to Far. That fixed it for me - has only crashed once in the .. I dunno.. twelve hours I've spent in 1.8.X

Scyphozoa - TRAVEL. Terrain isn't boring, it's goddamn HUGE. Biomes that used to cover a handful of chunks now span dozens. Wandering out in the 500s+, I've seen goddam AMAAAZZING BluffCaveWhatTheHellIsThat combos.

TRAVEL.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:56 am UTC

Huh. Well I guess the first five or so worlds I made in Creative and then flew over extensively just weren't very lucky seeds, then.

Biomes that used to cover a handful of chunks now span dozens.

See that's just it. I liked that one minute you could be in a quaint flat grassy valley and then suddenly come across a snowy mountain. It seems as though there are no more hills AND trees at the same time, nothing that is half one thing and half another. No medium-sized formations.

It feels like the new biome code is to take a Civ4 "fantasy" map (in which each tile is essentially random and independent from other tiles), turn each tile into the size of a biome, then take a pre-made template of that biome and paste it over the section designated by the tile.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:29 am UTC

Hm. My impression of the new landscapes has been almost entirely positive, although I am noticing that travel times are pretty large now. (I don't set out for the nearby village unless it's dawn, and am planning on setting up a rail system just to cut down on travel time).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 am UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:
Steax wrote:But yeah, you just discovered the minecraft version of the middle of nowhere.
Spoiler:
Pretty sure that's outside the area generated by the seed. The world as it's created looks like this
Spoiler:
Island_normal_north.png

Not 100% sure how this works. If you go far enough in any direction, the game will eventually start a new biome.

I starved, then restarted and managed my 4 blocks of wood better and followed SoapyHobo's instructions. I was able to mine every mineral in the game* without seeing a single passive mob besides squid. Then I fell in lava.

*outside of the Nether

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
SoapyHobo wrote:
Spoiler:
Pretty sure that's outside the area generated by the seed. The world as it's created looks like this
Spoiler:
Island_normal_north.png

Not 100% sure how this works. If you go far enough in any direction, the game will eventually start a new biome.

I starved, then restarted and managed my 4 blocks of wood better and followed SoapyHobo's instructions. I was able to mine every mineral in the game* without seeing a single passive mob besides squid. Then I fell in lava.

*outside of the Nether

1. Clouds move to the west, the sun moves from North to South
2. If you do not move, you do not consume food. In theory, if you occupy the smaller island, block it's view of the main island, and place a farm there, you can just hit 'i' and return in half an hour.

Return to “Gaming”