Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Feylias

Effort-efficient Obsidian mining!

Postby Feylias » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:30 am UTC

I promised to explain this in the forums, so, Blagtime! I wanted a stack of obsidian without much effort, for when we organize our post 1.9 field trip to the new areas on the Nether on the ST server and want to make nether-side portals.

Naturally, I didn't want to run back and forth gathering lava, and instead wanted to AFK. So, I used redstone and set it up so I could AFK while I mined. Here are the details on how it all worked.:
Spoiler:
2011-09-29_17.49.53.png
We need to have water flowing next to where the redstone will be...but the water flow can't be too tall or too short. So, we'll set it up like this:
2011-09-29_17.51.17.png
Then we'll add a ridge of dirt in the center, over the ditch where the water will flow. Now we have one side for redstone and one for water.
2011-09-29_17.53.53.png
Place regular spots of water in the water side of the ditch, spaced about five apart or so, so the flow doesn't get too short.
2011-09-29_17.57.06.png
Now remove that middle ridge of dirt; the sideways water flows will stay put, and also fall into the center. Water is weird.
2011-09-29_17.59.14.png
We'll place redstone on the other side...and while we're at it, let's add a backboard so we have something to place the lava against. Now, if lava falls on redstone wire that is next to a short 'pile' of water, the redstone gets confused and turns into obsidian. It's a weird glitch, and it's convenient.
2011-09-29_18.00.50.png
Place a bucket of lava against the back wall above the redstone. It'll fall down, make obsidian beneath it, spread sideways, make obsidian on either side, spread sideways, make obsidian on either side, and then do it one more time. Lava flows three spaces, so you can just place the lava against the wall four spaces from the end, wait a bit, pick up the lava, and place it four spaces from where your obsidian already is. This is why you only need one bucket of lava; the lava is never used up. The redstone is, however.
2011-09-29_18.01.43.png
At the end you'll have a long stick of obsidian, some random cobble from where the flow got into the water, and some remaining lava. You can clean up easily enough; get rid of all the water, cobble, and lava flow however you like. I filled it all with dirt and then dug the dirt away.
2011-09-29_18.16.29.png
Clean up everything but your obsidian stick, then make a track on either side of the obsidian with dirt or something.
2011-09-29_18.17.14.png
At the far end, set up a block to catch you when you run out of obsidian. Especially if you're on the edge of a long drop.
And then, you find a way to keep your forward key and your left mouse button held down. On a Mac, I just remapped W to caps lock. For PCs, I sometimes put a butter knife between the W and 2 keys and let it hang backwards at a slant. To keep my mouse button down I either use a rubber band around my mouse or lately I just put a toothpick wedged into the button of my track ball.

Meteorswarm

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:38 am UTC

Phase one of my castle restoration plan is underway. I'm "repairing" the ladders about the place, and building transport infrastructure; I've got a secret door entrance to replace the various semi-hidden shaft entrances about the area, which I'll close soon, and to be an alternative to the labyrinth entrance, which I will leave in place.

The secret door is rather nice really, it uses some sticky pistons so you can't see it at all from the outside, and you activate it by placing a redstone torch -just so-, and you can remove the torch with a carefully placed blob of water from another hidden piston above it. This leads to a staircase which takes you to my underground cellar complex.

The largest room of which happens to be the mechanical room for the greenhouse melon farm in the castle courtyard, which I'm fairly happy with. It's semi-automatic, and near maximum-density; 4 rows of 9 melons will grow, (and 8 squares of wheat which aren't mechanized), and a single lever throw raises the whole of the melon yard and shreds them to slices with its force. Just plough and you're ready to go again. I've additionally paved the first floor of the castle, and divided it into two rooms, an entrance hall and the staircase between the cellar, the first floor, and the second floor.

I've had some difficulty with nether access, though. The two times I tried to light a portal*, they led to the spawn portal, which was sad. I'll have to get some obisidan from gana and build one in the nether at the right spot.

* I can't use fire or magma, still, so I have trouble actually building portals. I hear it's an FTP issue? Or something? Monkey did the actual building and lighting for me.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:40 am UTC

seventh picture under feylias's spoiler wrote:Scallel: ON FIRE

How fitting.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

There really needs to be an "overheard in minecraft" thread/tumblr/whatever thing.

I heard gems from "it's okay, we've still got dirt" to "I fell a bit hard, lemme go kill that pig".

OH CRAP I'VE GOT A SPIDER AND I ONLY HAVE A PICKAXE
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

mrmoses

Re: SECOND Pre-release of 1.9

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:Endermen teleport a lot more

Good. I've never seen an Enderman teleport, and I've been looking for it :(

I've also never seen them freeze. I've stared them in the face from short distances, medium distances, and long distances. I've also aggravated them with my sward and hit them from afar with my bow.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

They don't actually teleport of course, they simply stay in place and move the entire world in relation to them.

:D

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

All post 1.8 crashes can now be safely blamed on two Endermen trying to "teleport" simultaneously.

Edit: Or maybe that's where crevasses come from.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:23 pm UTC

Funny, they always teleport when approaching me, and whacking at them causes to teleport somewhere nearby too. It causes that uncomfortable panic when you swing, apparently miss, and look around wildly before suddOHMYGOD A GIANT BLACK THING HOLDING A CHUNK OF SAND IS KILLING ME AAAAAAAAA

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

I'm goofing around in 1.9 release 2. Endermen are actually a lot more terrifying in how they move, mostly because when you look at them (and stay on them), they sllllloooowwwwwllllly turn around and look at you, frozen. The moment you move, they open their heads in that silent scream and.. teleport.

Terrifying.

Not so terrifying? As near as I can tell, they teleport out of existence because I never see them again. Or, rather, I saw one again once (as a Hostile Enderman was charging me from goddamn nowhere) before it teleported and I never saw it again.

So... no clue what's going on there.

Herding animals is fun. I made a little trap of sorts that all I have to do now is lead critters to this pool and let them fall in. Eventually, they'll get sucked down the pipe and appear in my farm area where eventually I'm going to expand it out and make it larger, so it can support pens for the different types.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

I actually think it's scarier for them to disappear for a long time before bothering you. That way you know that the next few minutes of your life will be hell.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Teleporting creepy monsters that may or may not attack you? Scarier than a head on attack any day.
Ⓞⓞ◯

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

Sure, yeah.. the problem I suppose I have is that it's been several In-Game days, and I haven't really wandered that far around, still well within their area to still exist and I've seen no evidence of the 2 (or 3? Hard to tell) Endermen.

At this point, it's *lost* some fear because I'm now assuming there will be no attack.

Granted, if I'm suddenly punched from nowhere, spin and see an Enderman who then vanishes again for days......

Yeah, I'll be hiding in my Enderman-proof bunker I'll then construct.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:I've had some difficulty with nether access, though. The two times I tried to light a portal*, they led to the spawn portal, which was sad. I'll have to get some obisidan from gana and build one in the nether at the right spot.

* I can't use fire or magma, still, so I have trouble actually building portals. I hear it's an FTP issue? Or something? Monkey did the actual building and lighting for me.

Yeah, you'll have to do it nether side if you want an accurate fit. Though, if it's the castle I think it is you may be too close, being stuck somewhere between monkey's spawner and the spawn. Though, if you did get that, you'd have convenient nether trolley access.

Though, I do need to fix the stations there. I also need to halfstep the real station and add some signs. Pigmen are the worst thing ever.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

I put the portal in nether side, and got close to where I wanted, but on the wrong side of the wall, so I had to build an extension, and I'll have to cover it with dirt and trees to hide it.

I'm *past* the monster spawner, so that's not an issue. You can access the portal now. The portal is the only obvious way into the castle.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

Oh, a REALLY important note for 1.9 users: Water-walls NO LONGER WORK for keeping Endermen out. As a matter of fact, it might cause Endermen to teleport inside your "safe" area.

Lava, though. . .

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Oh, a REALLY important note for 1.9 users: Water-walls NO LONGER WORK for keeping Endermen out. As a matter of fact, it might cause Endermen to teleport inside your "safe" area.

Lava, though. . .

Problem with a lava wall is that it's player proof too.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Decker wrote:
Enokh wrote:Oh, a REALLY important note for 1.9 users: Water-walls NO LONGER WORK for keeping Endermen out. As a matter of fact, it might cause Endermen to teleport inside your "safe" area.

Lava, though. . .

Problem with a lava wall is that it's player proof too.

Not if you put water right next to it on the other side :D

And thanks to the new health system, there's no penalty either!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

You know what really keeps them out. Torches, torches everywhere so that the light of a thousand suns as far as the eye can see.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

In 1.9 they're immune to sunlight.

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:In 1.9 they're immune to sunlight.

I didn't think they would catch fire in the first place and was surprised to see they burned. They should just run off into the distance when the sun comes up. Or just teleport away. That makes them seem like they are up to something. If they just burn, they can't come back and finish their mischievous plans.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Hum, well I found three places and a pumpkin in the chain world. At least it's nice to see I won't be starving to death.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:04 am UTC

Hey guys. Once the FTP is fixed, I think we should get a server IRC channel, and a Bukkit IRC bot. It would make life a whole lot easier for me, for one, and when you get used to it it'll become an integral part of your aresenal :P . What we need is CraftIRC and an IRC channel (I suggest one on Rizon). If you want, I could help set it up, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

What this would give us is the ability to talk to people on the server without being on the server. This is useful for the situations when we are incapable of running MC, or are on a device that doesn't support it. Trust me, its damn useful.

On another note, I'm planning to make a button-press reed harvester, but don't want to build it out in woop woop, so that its easily accessable. Anyone want to donate a small piece of land close in, or suggest somewhere where I could build it that is more accessible to the general populace?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:48 am UTC

ST: http://www.happysocks.com/us/colabs/hs-x-minecraft

Chaoszerom wrote:an IRC channel (I suggest one on Rizon).

The xkcd community usually uses Foonetic for the channels.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:56 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Chaoszerom wrote:an IRC channel (I suggest one on Rizon).

The xkcd community usually uses Foonetic for the channels.

Fair enough. Rizon is the network that I know, but any network will do.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:06 pm UTC

I'm not an IRC user but I really like the idea of being able to add folks to the whitelist without having to wait for minecraft. Sounds neat!

While we're discussing possible addons:

Do we need a transportation addon, or do we have enough railroad engineers in the real world and the nether that we don't need any way to warp?

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:Do we need a transportation addon, or do we have enough railroad engineers in the real world and the nether that we don't need any way to warp?

Gameplay convenience addons are a slippery slope, IMHO. I'd prefer to keep transportation legit. (I don't mind settime, because coordinating bedtime across the planet is an unrealistic pain) It's not that hard to find iron and gold, much less obsidian, and it makes travel feel more rewarding. ^_^
Spoiler:
...and right now our world is pretty small, at only a few miles across. It'll get bigger, as we keep expanding the far areas to expose new types of terrain, and it'll become progressively more complex, beautiful, and realistic as trains and portals start to be necessary to get anywhere.

(I love how the world gets more alien the farther we get from spawn. This is appropriate. I love how the server's history keeps growing and expanding. ..even now, archaeologists are called for to identify lost buildings with no signs of who made them or what they were. ^_^) (So put up signs!)

Heck, I still have the freedom to, on a whim, take 20 minutes and go visit Mr Moses and wife's project (which I look forward to figuring out what is.) 20 minutes may be an eternity in gameplay time, but I devote more time to walking to the nearby 31 flavors for a cone and back.
So: Blagtime!
Spoiler:
I had LOTS of eggs, and wanted to play a game with them. So, I rigged up a fully-automatic triple-barrel egg-gun that fired into a burning wall!
2011-09-30_18.57.17.png
I don't think it was efficient: 396 eggs were in this thing, and I didn't even get a full 30 cooked chickens. Maybe the bottom two repeaters should be elevated.
Regarding the square holes in my sky that I (and those who visit occasionally and are kind enough to help) am filling in, here's why I'm specific about the grass: I'm making slots above the grass, and filling in those slots slowly (one slot at a time (per side, if applicable) to progressively kill as much grass as possible,
2011-09-30_08.14.12.png
One of my grass-killing sky-drains.
while giving said grass time to die. Water flow behaves in a strange way--if living flow touches dead water flow of the same level or lower, the dead water flow stays...undead. I think; I should test this more fully.

Finally, Monkey and I created a simple little castle on the hell wilderness on the edge of my green a few weeks ago for some unrelated science reason, and I later tore down the roof part of it but left the rest intact. Since then, being in the darkness for scores of hours of gameplay, the Endermen have almost made it into a hovering ruin:
2011-09-30_16.26.12.png
Alas, I can't get better lighting.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

Last night it was raining on the server, and when I walked outside, I saw a lightning bolt strike the pig I had set up to be idol-worshipped.
This was the result:
Spoiler:

After I built a display case.

Sadly, he despawned when everyone left.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:Hey guys. Once the FTP is fixed, I think we should get a server IRC channel, and a Bukkit IRC bot. It would make life a whole lot easier for me, for one, and when you get used to it it'll become an integral part of your aresenal :P . What we need is CraftIRC and an IRC channel (I suggest one on Rizon). If you want, I could help set it up, but it shouldn't be too hard to do.

What this would give us is the ability to talk to people on the server without being on the server. This is useful for the situations when we are incapable of running MC, or are on a device that doesn't support it. Trust me, its damn useful.

On another note, I'm planning to make a button-press reed harvester, but don't want to build it out in woop woop, so that its easily accessable. Anyone want to donate a small piece of land close in, or suggest somewhere where I could build it that is more accessible to the general populace?

I have been looking to revamp the reed farm over in Narnia, which isn't so far off from spawn, comes complete with skyway, walkway, and nether pathway from there.

My current goal is to turn that area into a massive agricultural center. So there's probably some room for a rather extensive reed farm to go in. Let me know if you're interested.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

And so, my creeper comment is immortalized!

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

Xerillum wrote:Last night it was raining on the server, and when I walked outside, I saw a lightning bolt strike the pig I had set up to be idol-worshipped.
On behalf of the gods, let me tell you: "He has been judged worthy, and has ascended."

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:04 am UTC

Don't know if you guys saw this, but: more possible updates

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:21 am UTC

I'm somewhat disappointed that making bread doesn't involve a furnace.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:32 am UTC

I'm still annoyed by simple arbitrary things that are simple to fix. Why can't we put ladders on glass? ಠ_ಠ

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:10 am UTC

Steax wrote:Don't know if you guys saw this, but: more possible updates

http://i.imgur.com/efGRA.png
http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ent_table/
Just for what it's worth.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:13 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I'm still annoyed by simple arbitrary things that are simple to fix. Why can't we put ladders on glass? ಠ_ಠ

I really hope they don't release the game without fixing the door bugs.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:25 am UTC

I just got the game. Started my first world. Explored and found a nice hillside to build a cave in. I then built a shelter and stayed the first night. On the second day, I went and explored a little more, collected wood and other important supplies. I noticed some flowers that I thought would be nice to take back to my room. I got there, planted flowers on the floor all over, and went to bed. I found out that placing a flower next to your bed is a bad idea. Woke up dead due to that, and found my way back from spawn. I then started my cave excavation. I built a nice staircase down a ways and then found a cave. I decided to explore the cave since I saw some light coming and wondered what it was from. It was lava (obvious to vets I'm sure, but not to me). I then turned around. There was a creeper. I died.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:36 am UTC

Are you sure it was the flower that made the room "unsafe" to sleep in? I can't see any reason why it would do that.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:11 am UTC

I'm pretty sure. I slept in it just fine the night before and I don't think anything had changed except the flowers. I was also confused. There shouldn't have been any creatures in there since I had a torch on the wall and the door was closed. Oh well.

Also, I just discovered that just because it is day does not mean that there aren't a ton of creepers and zombies hanging out in the giant cavern I found. Fortunately, there was a little hole I was able to hide in while they all came at me one at a time and died to my sword.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:57 am UTC

You might have just got lucky the first night, and there was a pathway they could get in through (if your bed is against the wall, if there's a place they can spawn on the other side of the 1-block-thick-wall, they can attack you in your sleep). I generally don't sleep at night, and focus on digging and excavating at night.

If you just want to explore, though, you can pick creative mode!

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:14 am UTC

Exploring is fun, but then you don't get the rush of knowing that there are a bunch of monsters about to jump out at you if you do something wrong. Or when you climb to the top of a mountain and realize you don't have time to get back home before night, so you build a platform off the ground and watch the nightlife. And when you accidentally look at an Enderman hope he doesn't teleport on top of your platform. And then go explore the npc village you saw from ontop of the mountain and realize that you don't have time to get back. Then it gets dark as you are walking and you have to quick make a shelter to put a bed in.

On a completely related note, MINECRAFT IS AWESOME!

Return to “Gaming”