Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

cephalopod9

Re: Minecraft

Postby cephalopod9 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I propose we build a museum of server history or something, relatively near spawn. Maybe a museum of local cultures, cities and kingdoms, too.

Do you have a location in mind? I kind of like the look of the snowy patch directly north of spawn, but it's hard to tell what's been built on and what's spoken for. I see there's a castle there, but a fair bit of apparently empty space just a bit further north. There also seem to be some vacancies in the developments south and east of the lava curtain. Again, I'm not keeping tabs on who's planning what, so it might all already be part of someone else's plan.

I shared some ideas on what an Xkcdian museum might consist of previously*, and still have a bit of smooth stone, wood and other materials (providing I haven't been robbed ...) to contribute to such a project.

*I'm not sure if I'm linking to a previous post the right way.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

I dunno; I suppose I could try to fit that inside the city, but it'd take up a LOT of room.

Don't forget, the name Xkcdia's been taken for... a very long time. Ain't I a stinker? :wink:

Also, on the note of accessible Ender gates:
It's possible to magic mod spawn in the materials needed to handcraft an ender gate near-ish spawn if the demand is high enough and/or the closest gates all get taken by Scallel. If this happens, however, don't expect the path to it to just be a walk down some stairs.

Also also, On the note of "dull deserts:"
You take that back. Big deserts with round, supple -Whatever those hemispheric things were. Nuclear reactors? I dunno- are frigg'n cool.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

I don't think the hemispheres, hedge maze, statues and things intersect much with the interesting bits of 1.8-lands, so I don't count them as 'dull deserts'.

I'd hope for a relatively nearby stronghold, with the full experience of travelling underground and all. Unless the mods want to make an artificial stronghold... ehehehehehehehehe
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Melic

Postby Melic » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:21 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:I kind of like the look of the snowy patch directly north of spawn, but it's hard to tell what's been built on and what's spoken for.

I know Lifegrind is up there, i dont know if he plans to build above ground but if you turn on beds you can get an idea of where he is.
They call me Mr. Piman

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:You take that back. Big deserts with round, supple -Whatever those hemispheric things were. Nuclear reactors? I dunno- are frigg'n cool.
More of dicking about with MCEdit and the sphere tool to erase the bedrock thrown down by antiorb, all in an attempt to erase the horrible TNT experiment he tried, but sure.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

Apparently an easier way to do lots of mods is to run your own Craftbukkit server for yourself, and then add the mods as plugins.

Anyone done this? Know how it would work?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:You take that back. Big deserts with round, supple -Whatever those hemispheric things were. Nuclear reactors? I dunno- are frigg'n cool.
More of dicking about with MCEdit and the sphere tool to erase the bedrock thrown down by antiorb, all in an attempt to erase the horrible TNT experiment he tried, but sure.

I was happier thinking they were some long-abandoned project of a former resident. They are (or were) frigg'n cool.

Anyway, The stone giants, Pigsy's Flagship, and the pysamids are restored.

Now I'm off to make schematics for the hedge maze, the hemispheres, and the beached ship.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
Steax wrote:I propose we build a museum of server history or something, relatively near spawn. Maybe a museum of local cultures, cities and kingdoms, too.

Do you have a location in mind? I kind of like the look of the snowy patch directly north of spawn, but it's hard to tell what's been built on and what's spoken for. I see there's a castle there, but a fair bit of apparently empty space just a bit further north. There also seem to be some vacancies in the developments south and east of the lava curtain. Again, I'm not keeping tabs on who's planning what, so it might all already be part of someone else's plan.

I shared some ideas on what an Xkcdian museum might consist of previously*, and still have a bit of smooth stone, wood and other materials (providing I haven't been robbed ...) to contribute to such a project.

Just to chip in, I own the rectangular castle a little north of that, and I'm allowing anyone to utilise the forest north of that for whatever.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

I've recovered all of the structures I know of in the vanished area, none of them are terribly far from where they started out at, so they should be fairly easy to find.

I believe I haven't overwritten anything important, if I have, let me know and I'll do what I can.

Have Fun!

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:I dunno; I suppose I could try to fit that inside the city, but it'd take up a LOT of room.

Don't forget, the name Xkcdia's been taken for... a very long time. Ain't I a stinker? :wink:

Also, on the note of accessible Ender gates:
It's possible to magic mod spawn in the materials needed to handcraft an ender gate near-ish spawn if the demand is high enough and/or the closest gates all get taken by Scallel. If this happens, however, don't expect the path to it to just be a walk down some stairs.

Also also, On the note of "dull deserts:"
You take that back. Big deserts with round, supple -Whatever those hemispheric things were. Nuclear reactors? I dunno- are frigg'n cool.

I really think we should have the portal to the end be natural. For two reasons: 1. The end has no practical purpose so far as I can tell, unlike the nether which serves as our highway. And 2. I think we should make it take awhile to get there, that way we don't cheapen the experience. I love the nether highway, but you all have to admit that hell doesn't have the same impact when youre officially using it as a form of transportation. Just my personal opinion.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:42 pm UTC

Scallel wrote: I love the nether highway, but you all have to admit that hell doesn't have the same impact when you're officially using it as a form of transportation.

Dude, I love it too! And you're totally right; it doesn't have that same impact. Isn't not getting sniped from halfway across the map GREAT? The little glass walkways are like you're on a safari! 8)

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:Dude, I love it too! And you're totally right; it doesn't have that same impact. Isn't not getting sniped from halfway across the map GREAT? The little glass walkways are like you're on a Disney safari! 8)

TFTFY

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:Dude, I love it too! And you're totally right; it doesn't have that same impact. Isn't not getting sniped from halfway across the map GREAT? The little glass walkways are like you're on a Disney safari! 8)

TFTFY

Does that make me a resident Imagineer? (I may have to change my name out of shame)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:28 am UTC

Kain wrote:
blalobw wrote:

TFTFY

Does that make me a resident Imagineer? (I may have to change my name out of shame)

You're a bit undercut by the Nether Trolley which kind of works on occasion. I fixed one of the station stops the other day.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:22 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:

I live in that castle at present. I have some plans to build a village to the north of it, but if you're out of sight of the castle you should be good. Anything past Scallel's summer home, really, but I wouldn't build too close to that either; goodness knows he's probably got the ground nearby filled with TNT.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:16 am UTC

blalobw wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:
I was happier thinking they were some long-abandoned project of a former resident. They are (or were) frigg'n cool.
I always thought they were part of a legit-built project that was still underway. I remember walking past them.
Spoiler:
I am greatly relieved that they are not now or likely to become genitalia. I've been afraid to mention it

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:50 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:Don't forget, the name Xkcdia's been taken for... a very long time. Ain't I a stinker? :wink:
I've been thinking of it a the name of the continent/planet/ everything on the surface. Was I corrected on that?
I was not proposing a new kingdom, but searching for a concise way to say "belonging to the world of the particular server run by ST, and shared on this forum." If there's a more appropriate name, I would like to be reminded of it.

SirBryghtside wrote:Just to chip in, I own the rectangular castle a little north of that, and I'm allowing anyone to utilise the forest north of that for whatever.
The cobblestone one with conical spires (very castle-y), or the little snow hut(directly north and very rectangular)?

Meteorswarm wrote:I live in that castle at present. I have some plans to build a village to the north of it, but if you're out of sight of the castle you should be good. Anything past Scallel's summer home, really, but I wouldn't build too close to that either; goodness knows he's probably got the ground nearby filled with TNT.
Is that what that diamond cube is? I presumed it was valuable to someone, but I didn't know whom or for what.

What sort of village do you have in mind? Can I offer you any village building supplies?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:05 am UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:Just to chip in, I own the rectangular castle a little north of that, and I'm allowing anyone to utilise the forest north of that for whatever.
The cobblestone one with conical spires (very castle-y), or the little snow hut(directly north and very rectangular)?

Charmanders can't survive in snow, so he lives in the larger, cobble one.

You know, we should really make a registry of IGN vs forum names. That way, if we ever want to know who a place belongs to, we can read the signs/beds and find the person on the forum.

Now, on the thought of making a sort of UN for all the various kingdoms, territories and cities in the game, the first step is clearly to actually build the building. And for that, we need a location. So far some people have shown interest in the idea (it also helps new players orient themselves!), and lord blalobw simply said "then build it!".

The considerations are:
- Relatively close to spawn
- Should be in an actively built area (i.e. not full of old/unused buildings)
- Needs access by road/bridge
- Preferably easy to see

There aren't many options. A few are:
- The land just southwest of Narnia - wide open space, but high possibility that someone's already taken over it
- Somewhere in the metro area - closeby, somewhat actively built, easy access from south/west transport lines, but not much space
- The area immediately north of spawn - very close to spawn, empty space, currently usused

And it would also be nice if everyone would prepare flags. I guess there can be elaborate flags, but for the sake of trying to fit in 20+ kingdoms/territories/whatever onto flagpoles, we should keep them small, like the 3x2 size already used by some people.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:

Charmanders can't survive in snow, so he lives in the larger, cobble one.

You know, we should really make a registry of IGN vs forum names. That way, if we ever want to know who a place belongs to, we can read the signs/beds and find the person on the forum.

Now, on the thought of making a sort of UN for all the various kingdoms, territories and cities in the game, the first step is clearly to actually build the building. And for that, we need a location. So far some people have shown interest in the idea (it also helps new players orient themselves!), and lord blalobw simply said "then build it!".

The considerations are:
- Relatively close to spawn
- Should be in an actively built area (i.e. not full of old/unused buildings)
- Needs access by road/bridge
- Preferably easy to see

There aren't many options. A few are:
- The land just southwest of Narnia - wide open space, but high possibility that someone's already taken over it
- Somewhere in the metro area - closeby, somewhat actively built, easy access from south/west transport lines, but not much space
- The area immediately north of spawn - very close to spawn, empty space, currently usused

And it would also be nice if everyone would prepare flags. I guess there can be elaborate flags, but for the sake of trying to fit in 20+ kingdoms/territories/whatever onto flagpoles, we should keep them small, like the 3x2 size already used by some people.

I was of the understanding that we already have a UN style building in the form of the embassy building. Granted, it is in the nether, so it is a bit harder to get too, but it exists.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

It'd be less visible, but we could put it under the comic near spawn...
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:57 pm UTC

Thing is, I don't think new players will think of checking the far end of the nether base (or even enter the nether) the first time they join.

I was thinking of a fully fledged building, with rooms representing each territory, and flags all waving in front. A 1/50th scale map also seems feasible - we can just detach the 1.8 lands like how American maps detach Alaska/Hawaii.

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

Would a floating UN building be acceptable? It would be visable, you could put it over water so the shadow doesnt spawn many mobs/or use torches on the ground. And it would not violate any "ground" that some one has claimed so it could easily be nutrual terriory. Or replace the current Comunarium with it then new people can go there to grasp the political situation as well as get geared.
They call me Mr. Piman

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

I'd happily lend my technology and materials to make that happen. It's still a problem with placement, though, because I don't think anybody wants a floating public space right on top of their house.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:02 pm UTC

I would point out that the land southwest of Narnia is Narnia. And, I don't know whether or not I'll be needing that land to fit in all of the animal pens yet.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

:( I thought we were going to make Authority tower the UN building. It's even got the rooms for it.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:34 pm UTC

what about Xe's trading building? its relatively close to spawn, besides the first two floors its empty, and its connected to the sky rail. of course Xe would have to approve of this, it is his building after all . Or we can always turn the communarium in to the UN building if we build floors right above it.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

I like the idea of putting something under the comic near spawn... Then you could look up and see it reversed. The official UN should be above ground, though, in my opinion.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I like the idea of putting something under the comic near spawn... Then you could look up and see it reversed. The official UN should be above ground, though, in my opinion.

I second this idea. Wholeheartedly. I mean, the area is already mostly hollow, it's big, and all I have to do is knock down a two-wide wall and it opens into a trai track and the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library.

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

Steax wrote:It's still a problem with placement, though, because I don't think anybody wants a floating public space right on top of their house.

There is still some open water near the spawn we could hover the building over. If I get a vote however I say we rebuild the spawn/comunarium, make it a bit fancier so when new people first log in the get to be awe'd before they even start looking around. The spawn/comunarium is already neutral. we could make the first floor a new user area and have floors above that for muesums and UN facilities. We could even just build over top of the old spawn and make it like and abandened underground thing of the past (New New York from futuramma style.)
They call me Mr. Piman

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:I like the idea of putting something under the comic near spawn... Then you could look up and see it reversed. The official UN should be above ground, though, in my opinion.

I second this idea. Wholeheartedly. I mean, the area is already mostly hollow, it's big, and all I have to do is knock down a two-wide wall and it opens into a trai track and the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Library.

And there's already an entrance to that area right next to Narnia. Though, I will murder you if you take out my little stream.

Plus, most of the caves under there are lit and mined out.

And, every so often I go down there to mine out rock to open it up anyways.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

If we got enough people working on the UN building couldn't we just fill some of the water near spawn? It's not claimed to my knowledge and it is close by.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:01 pm UTC

If needed, even though its a bit of a hike from spawn I could give my project area that is flattened. Its by my unicorn and my little compound. Its about a 5 minute walk from spawn and in a second I could set up a railroad that goes both directions and underwater all the way to spawn.
these are words
type, type, type

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

There's room in my tower near spawn if you want to use it. It has 7 floors free, plus there's space for a few basement floors below it.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

I would like to see it custom-built. With a good amount of people working on it, I could see it being amazing. I would really like to see this be a nice piece of architecture. Not a wood/cobble/sandstone monstrosity. Clearing out the communarium area would be optimal. One of the floors of the UN could become a new version of it.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

cephalopod9 wrote:

Conical Spires, as Steax said. Also, how did you find the snow hut on that map?!

Oh, and I'm not going to be on for a veeeery long time. Not ditching MineCraft - I will come back eventually - but, you know, Skyrim.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

Josephine wrote:I would like to see it custom-built. With a good amount of people working on it, I could see it being amazing. I would really like to see this be a nice piece of architecture. Not a wood/cobble/sandstone monstrosity. Clearing out the communarium area would be optimal. One of the floors of the UN could become a new version of it.

Very much this. I think the communarium needs an overhaul anyway, judging by all of the empty chests. :P (Honestly, people, the idea is that you donate some of your resources if you have excess.)

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:05 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
cephalopod9 wrote:

Conical Spires, as Steax said. Also, how did you find the snow hut on that map?!

Oh, and I'm not going to be on for a veeeery long time. Not ditching MineCraft - I will come back eventually - but, you know, Skyrim.

Same for me. Its such a good game.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:17 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Josephine wrote:I would like to see it custom-built. With a good amount of people working on it, I could see it being amazing. I would really like to see this be a nice piece of architecture. Not a wood/cobble/sandstone monstrosity. Clearing out the communarium area would be optimal. One of the floors of the UN could become a new version of it.

Very much this. I think the communarium needs an overhaul anyway, judging by all of the empty chests. :P (Honestly, people, the idea is that you donate some of your resources if you have excess.)

I know that. If anyone feels like hauling 20 stacks of cobble or some redstone from my fort back there feel free. If people want to take pretty much all my cobble (leave at least a stack) or any redstone back to spawn go ahead.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:34 am UTC

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.html#layerId=LayerA&worldX=-589&worldY=0&worldZ=166&zoom=3
right about there I am planning an open pit mine of the size 16x16. All resources not used to finish the dig will be used to build the new Welcome Center/UN/Communarium.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:

I gave to the communarium once. I gave quite well. Other than that one time, which was for karmic balancing reasons, I only trade. However ask anyone, and I am quite a kind trading partner.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Return to “Gaming”