Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vieto

Re: Minecraft

Postby Vieto » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:34 pm UTC

So long as floor hatches are safe, I'll be fine. Same with metal doors.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:30 am UTC

Or using pistons as a small block in front of the door. What about dirt doors?
these are words
type, type, type

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:36 am UTC

Is the server going to get updated anytime soon?
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:08 am UTC

only 'real' doors are affected. and by real I mean this. I assume iron doors are safe, but don't quote me on this. so trap doors, fence gate, piston and any other material you use for doors are OK.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:11 am UTC

Jeb wrote:Yes, only wooden doors
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:only 'real' doors are affected. and by real I mean this. I assume iron doors are safe, but don't quote me on this. so trap doors, fence gate, piston and any other material you use for doors are OK.

https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/167280133131087872 you are correct.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 am UTC

I SAW THIS COMING.

/giggles happily atop house

Now unless zombies can fly...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:36 am UTC

I think servers should never be set to hard. I can totally handle hard difficulty in singleplayer, but with even a little bit of lag it becomes impossible to kill things without getting hit, when you would normally dodge arrows, push zombies and spiders away, and stay out of creepers' fuse range.

This is true even on a LAN server. Imagine how much more lag there is on an Internet server.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:48 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:Is the server going to get updated anytime soon?

Talon would be the best person to ask about that, I'm not at all certain what criteria the hosting company uses to determine which jars are available. We may be able to upload one, the next time I'm logged into the admin console I'll check.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:00 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I think servers should never be set to hard. I can totally handle hard difficulty in singleplayer, but with even a little bit of lag it becomes impossible to kill things without getting hit, when you would normally dodge arrows, push zombies and spiders away, and stay out of creepers' fuse range.

This is true even on a LAN server. Imagine how much more lag there is on an Internet server.

I don't need to imagine it, I'm there to the hilt. You just need to change tactics, be more cautious, and accept that you'll have a greater challenge than lonely old single player.

Besides, I love surprises! (like when the creeper gets a 5 second head start on sneaking up on me)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:24 am UTC

I kind of like the inevitability of battle here. There's no way you'll get out of a fight unharmed. I think in general we all like better mob AI, as an added challenge, because right now we're really pretty much safe anywhere civilized anyway. Though Pandora has fewer torchlit fields, which I like. It's actually dark at night... and you can always un-night anyway.

In other news, I take full responsibility for a minor disaster near the outgoing rail. I testing a weapon (designed to kill wayward zombies if they attacked us by rail), and accidentally lit 9 megatons of TNT instead of 3. I've patched up the damage. And if anyone's at my place... please be very careful with the various buttons. Seriously.

(Note that I have no TNT cannons that could potentially damage anyone else's property. They all fire directly downwards to the empty field, all have failsafes and safety switches, which are placed in a separate control room. I'm really just building these things for fun.)

--

I have successfully built a highly reliable, completely failsafe, highly accurate and extremely dangerous TNT cannon. I tested it from y = 80 and I'm successfully hitting targets 100 meters away (at y = 64). That's two-thirds the chunk load distance, and is about how far the 'normal' view distance goes. It's dual-barreled and each accepts between 4 and 7 pieces of TNT. It's not dual for nothing, though; small game glitches cause one barrel to land some 10 meters short of the other, which only means you get bigger booms for your buck.

Since my homes typically fly at y = 100 or more, I probably couldn't make that distance (the 100 meter limit was not a threshold due to power, but due to how long the TNT fuse lasts - I can get it to fly further, but then it explodes in the air). I'm trying to figure out a good automatic version of the gun, without it risking self-destruction. I shall import it to the science server soon.

The key bit turns out to be igniting the projectile TNT block at the exact moment the propellant ones go off.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:59 am UTC

Ok I checked, our host has build 1720 available, but there are more recent recommended builds out there. I couldn't find information as to whether 1720 has any gamekilling bugs, so I have not updated.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:Ok I checked, our host has build 1720 available, but there are more recent recommended builds out there. I couldn't find information as to whether 1720 has any gamekilling bugs, so I have not updated.

wow...they are way behind. Who are they?
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm UTC

Multicraft is the platform, and the host just grabs the recommended build from them. Lemme take a look at their site, and see what the latest is.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

The server has updated to 1.1 now. From my simple user perspective it all seems to work out okay.

We should fence off some sheep populations of different colours. There's no longer any reason to have large free range herds. About 20 in a 200 block paddock would be plenty for each non renewable colour. One possibility: A large skyscraper, dirt floors every 3 levels, with some glass blocks for lighting, and I think walls as well (fences, and I suspect panes, let them glitch past, but I think full blocks are a bit less likely to let that happen). We'd have enough vertical space for one big skyscraper, 18x18x48 (or x64 if we really want to push it, with three air blocks per level), with a sort of elevator shaft next to it. Sort of a vertical rainbow concept is what I'm talking about.
Last edited by jestingrabbit on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

Then we can build a giant cat next to it.

So yeah, any idea where that building should go? I'll help construct it. We'll definitely need a lot of teamwork to get the sheep up, though. Lots of fishing rods, wheat and pushing.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

Wheat them into a piston elevator. 3x3 floor, walls all the way up, just keep moving the pistons up by one block. Wait, maybe we can use a waterfall with a wall, and use pistons to push them into that.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

I don't think it'll be that tricky. We'll have to make some dirt ramps for the grass to grow up, or at least that is probably the easiest/most-frugal methodology, and, as the grass grows us, we can lead a team of sheep up to the next level etc. etc.

Location wise, there's a pretty significant patch of flattish ground out the back of mushroom house. Leveling it to river level (which I think is sea level) wouldn't be arduous, and there are plenty of sheep there atm.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:Wheat them into a piston elevator. 3x3 floor, walls all the way up, just keep moving the pistons up by one block. Wait, maybe we can use a waterfall with a wall, and use pistons to push them into that.
I think if you wheat the sheep into a 2x2 room, make the room extremely tall, and pour a column of water down on them, they'll float upwards (hopefully without drowning) and you can put the new floor beneath them and remove the water.

That's my plan for getting sheep on top of my sky so, after I've finished Mordor, I can litter the darkened ground beneath with armies of sheep to help find any grass I missed and kill it.

As for getting grass to a high space, pistons are awesome. I could get grass at the sky limit in less than 30 minutes. ...though, admittedly, a well-lit 2m wide ramp and some AFK would be a lot less effort intensive.

I hear a rumor the height limit is increasing. Heh.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

The server seems pretty flakey atm...

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

I think I'd actually have a problem with the door thing if I didn't already excessively light up Narnia to the point nothing really spawns.

Feylias

How to egg farm.

Postby Feylias » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:24 am UTC

So, I have learned a thing:
Spoiler:
How to egg farm: Dig a pit. Use wheat to lure nearby chickens into it. Make them breed. Use their eggs to increase their number. Stand in the pit, light it thoroughly, and close it so nothing can wander in. Make sure you've a full stomach. AFK overnight and wake up to a full inventory of eggs.
2012-02-10_16.21.48.png
This? This is an egg farm. AFK friendly and everything.
That is all.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:07 am UTC

Commence Pandora rechickenization program!

So today I decided to test out a new texture pack.

2012-02-11_09.30.01.png
West Pandora at sunset.

But... perhaps the usual one is okay too.

2012-02-11_09.48.52.png
Pandora City Center at daybreak.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:00 am UTC

So who continued work on the spider spawner after I vanished for a few weeks? (The one by the plains city with triple cave spawners.) I'm just wondering since I tried to look at how it works and it confuses me very much? Is it finished yet?
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:47 am UTC

I have an affinity with mineshafts. :S.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:31 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:So who continued work on the spider spawner after I vanished for a few weeks? (The one by the plains city with triple cave spawners.) I'm just wondering since I tried to look at how it works and it confuses me very much? Is it finished yet?

I did, and no it's not finished. (I tend to die a lot for some reason). I didn't have a copy of your blueprints, so I've kinda been winging it. The double spawner box just brings then forward, and the flows from the sides center up the cave spiders. This is pretty much just as you designed it. The single spawner box has a multiple step water based mob elevator based on the one you had in both original spawn boxes.

The killbox is a dirt simple fencepost gap based thing, located so that spiders in it don't count against the spawner limits.

Throw potions or use a sword, kill them any way you want.

Your design is most likely better than mine, as I'm just trying stuff out. I'll help put it back, or just stay out of your way, whichever you want.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: How to egg farm.

Postby blalobw » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:40 am UTC

Feylias wrote:So, I have learned a thing:
Spoiler:
How to egg farm: Dig a pit. Use wheat to lure nearby chickens into it. Make them breed. Use their eggs to increase their number. Stand in the pit, light it thoroughly, and close it so nothing can wander in. Make sure you've a full stomach. AFK overnight and wake up to a full inventory of eggs.
2012-02-10_16.21.48.png
That is all.

But how does it work??? Where are the giant rooms full of redstone gizmos? Where are the intricately designed physics defying water flows? Why are there no pistons going thump thump, thump thump thumpa?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:03 am UTC

Level 28, and...
raaaaaage.png
raaaaaage.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 4980 times

Apparently I won't be farming wood, then. (Keep in mind that Fortune is literally useless on an axe.)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:55 am UTC

Perhaps it works on saplings or apples?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:24 pm UTC

It would get you more little mushrooms from hacking up a huge one. But, I've gotta say, fortune I is pretty useless on anything.

btw, sheep eating grass doesn't heal them, in case anyone else was wondering.

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

Well, I was all prepared to go on a big glowstone-mining expedition, and I glitched through the bridge I was building and fell into lava. Derp!

Ah well, if at first you don't succeed, the heck with it! :lol:

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:53 am UTC

I died in the nether trying to get to Pangaea and lost my life savings :( Damn.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 am UTC

Okay, now that more and more people are falling victim to the cross-nether trip... Where exactly are you guys getting killed? I guess this also means the overworld rail is called for.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:48 am UTC

There was a pink guy with green on his face (a zombie-pig-man?) standing on the track preventing access, and he killed me when I tried to kill him to get him off the track.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 am UTC

Yeah, that... happens. Usually you'll need to get out of your cart, squeeze past it, and get on the track again. It's typically a very bad idea to fight a zombie pigman unless you're wearing diamond armor.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:54 am UTC

Hmm, damn. Wish I'd known that before I lost a bunch of iron and some diamonds.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:57 am UTC

I think we decided that there's no good way to keep pigmen off the tracks. Short of making a ridiculous piston system.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:02 am UTC

How about we line the sides with snowmen (in safe positions) to kite the pigmen away?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:07 am UTC

... Oh. That's a good way.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:09 am UTC

I'd go with lining with half blocks. They'll still glitch onto the tracks very occasionally, but at least they won't be able to spawn directly adjacent.

Return to “Gaming”