Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

The elevator works great, and I love how it's switch-side-agnostic.

Also, I declare Operation: Bookmaker. We need to make a lot of books (and probably expand the reed farm) to prepare for 1.3. Books will be harder to make, requiring leather, and books will be valuable for emeralds, among other things.

I am also launching an investigation on how a creeper managed to EXTENSIVELY destroy my pandora city house.

Due to these circumstances, I will await 1.3 before adding more Skyblock plots and achievements.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

Steax wrote:The elevator works great, and I love how it's switch-side-agnostic.

Also, I declare Operation: Bookmaker. We need to make a lot of books (and probably expand the reed farm) to prepare for 1.3. Books will be harder to make, requiring leather, and books will be valuable for emeralds, among other things.

I am also launching an investigation on how a creeper managed to EXTENSIVELY destroy my pandora city house.

Due to these circumstances, I will await 1.3 before adding more Skyblock plots and achievements.

Woah! I didn't think of trading books for emeralds :D ! Just rotten flesh... :?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:01 pm UTC

On the pre-1.3 preparations, is there anything else besides books that will become harder or impossible to acquire? If so, those should probably be stockpiled.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

Josephine wrote:On the pre-1.3 preparations, is there anything else besides books that will become harder or impossible to acquire? If so, those should probably be stockpiled.

XP? xD lol....

(no :wink: )

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:53 pm UTC

So, my new computer will finally be up and running tonight. I can't wait to get back on.

EDIT: I just realized, there is something. Stockpile wooden slabs! The old ones don't burn in 1.3
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

I was admiring my 16 meter high oak while listening to some classical solo piano and watching the sun rise over my humble skyblock. And I thought I'd share it with you.

Spoiler:

Blocks are beautiful.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

Where are your grass blocks??

Also, welcome to the awesome tree club!
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 pm UTC

I'm standing on my grass. You can barely see it. :P
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:29 am UTC

The Kaledonian Commerce Division happily reports that at 3:57 EST on July 20th, 2012, the lively Unk'l Rusties Crab Shak was opened for business.

Sadly, the KCD must report that at 4:17 EST on July 20th, 2012, the venerated local establishment "Uncle Rusty's Crab Shack" was cruelly shut down by the FDA pursuant to section 403(t) of the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 343(t)) after slanderous allegations were made against the proprietor. Our community may never be the same...

Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

Was there any particular reason that someone removed my portal in the swamp far north of the city, and its pair in the nether?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Was there any particular reason that someone removed my portal in the swamp far north of the city, and its pair in the nether?

I've never heard of any. Put one back up and see who it connects to.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:Was there any particular reason that someone removed my portal in the swamp far north of the city, and its pair in the nether?

I've never heard of any. Put one back up and see who it connects to.

I worked it out, there's a sand island that someone wants to harvest near there. Its all good though. But in the future, build a gate in the nether, switch it on, but don't go through it, then build a gate in the overworld in the corresponding place, switch it on, and then walk through (or do it in the other order). That way, you never have to destroy another person's portals.

re reeds: I'll probably do some of that in the next few days.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 pm UTC

Wait, are you referring to the Sandyston portal? I made that about three months ago, and didn't destroy any portals to boot...
(I don't see any other sand island up there)

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:56 pm UTC

Kain wrote:Wait, are you referring to the Sandyston portal? I made that about three months ago, and didn't destroy any portals to boot...
(I don't see any other sand island up there)

I don't believe so, I mean this place

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.ht ... 995&zoom=8

So its obviously worked after the last map, and the stairs to the netherside portal emerge from a tunnel I recently dug.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:48 pm UTC

... Shit, that was me, sorry. I got kind of paranoid yesterday about figuring out how to link my portal, and my internet died before I got a chance to fix it. I just rebuilt the originals, and you can have a stack of obsidian and my shaved head in penance.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:17 pm UTC

I'm getting a bad login error when I try to connect to the server. Could I have been accidentally removed from the whitelist?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:56 pm UTC

As far as I know that doesn't have anything to do with the particular server, and restarting minecraft usually fixes the problem. The server does authenticate you but because restarting minecraft fixes it, and retrying doesn't help, it's probably the client.
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:26 am UTC

Yea, I tried restarting the client and still no luck.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:09 am UTC

Don't know what to say other than to try restarting again, which you may have already tried. In my experience, that error never seems to persist indefinitely though.
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:09 am UTC

I checked out the area below my skyblock after an incident. It appears I've had the same incident happen once before. Glad I'm not over anyone's house... :lol:

Spoiler:

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Snark wrote:I checked out the area below my skyblock after an incident. It appears I've had the same incident happen once before. Glad I'm not over anyone's house... :lol:

Spoiler:

Wow... xD
I'm glad that wasn't at my forest/houses, since I pretty much only build with wood. ^_^

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

More skyblock news!

10 stacks of wood later (I calculated), my village with no residents yet:
Spoiler:
Yes, I'm obsessed with symmetry.

And the rest of the place:
Spoiler:
I put a fence around the grass in case of an animal spawn and spaced out the tree farm a bit.

Edit: Placed the eggs. 1 minute later, Momma and Poppa birthed Little Nose:
Spoiler:

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Lava accidents are mostly why I decided to go all the way out over open water... For the most part. :P

Snark, I assure you that village will be enough to attract many a siege and spawn at least 2 golems. Also, golems are really fun/easy/disastrous to kill with stone swords!

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:49 am UTC

Steax wrote:Lava accidents are mostly why I decided to go all the way out over open water... For the most part. :P

Snark, I assure you that village will be enough to attract many a siege and spawn at least 2 golems. Also, golems are really fun/easy/disastrous to kill with stone swords!

Man, all these funny incidents and comments have made me want a Sky block! =P
So, the next Sky block that's up. That one I want.
By the way, have you realized Rirez. That you'll never in the close future be able to put rail on half-slabs.
Which says, if anyone wants a rail between Skyfrost and his/hers Sky-block someone has to either replace or put full blocks
or upside-down half-slabs (If anyone even wants to deal with putting full blocks above then go under and place half-slabs) aside in order to make a rail...
=*(

EDIT: By the way, is cheating (like sand-generators) allowed xD?
Last edited by halgdp on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:53 am UTC

Once I see how badly 1.3 villagers affect skyblock and I come up with suitable new sexy achievements (most of them being around various machines and architecture), I'll add more plots. Does 1.3 fix high-altitude portals yet?

Can't you put slabs on slabs and turn them into a pseudo-whole-block though?

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 am UTC

By the way, I think I want the future block that's going to be my to be on the left side xD.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:47 am UTC

I tried to design something for the main circle in Pandora City, and ended up with this monstrosity.
2012-07-22_02.44.06.png

... Maybe I'll try again. Any ideas?

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:29 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I tried to design something for the main circle in Pandora City, and ended up with this monstrosity.
2012-07-22_02.44.06.png

I don't think Rirez will like that lava thingy dingy since he ran into one right after traveling to spawn. =P
But I think it's cool.

EDIT: I just learned what circle program Arkas uses and tried it out. Loved it and got obsessed with circles and elipses and all...
I think we could put like half an oval of something above it just because of they are cool and I'm obsessed. =P

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

Could I adjust the oak tree farm (JR's I think) so that no trees with branches could grow?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

halgdp wrote:Could I adjust the oak tree farm (JR's I think) so that no trees with branches could grow?

There's a solid core where the branches don't grow, so you could stay in that core. Its not just a farm for logs though, its also a farm for leaves, so please don't remove the spaced trees around the core.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:13 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
halgdp wrote:Could I adjust the oak tree farm (JR's I think) so that no trees with branches could grow?

There's a solid core where the branches don't grow, so you could stay in that core. Its not just a farm for logs though, its also a farm for leaves, so please don't remove the spaced trees around the core.

Ya, I know that. Without the ones being spaced out we would have no saplings. I actually prefer the spaced out ones over the chunk farming. I wouldn't remove any tree spots but could I limit the spaced out ones so they don't get branches at all?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:54 am UTC

halgdp wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:I tried to design something for the main circle in Pandora City, and ended up with this monstrosity.
2012-07-22_02.44.06.png

I don't think Rirez will like that lava thingy dingy since he ran into one right after traveling to spawn. =P
But I think it's cool.

EDIT: I just learned what circle program Arkas uses and tried it out. Loved it and got obsessed with circles and elipses and all...
I think we could put like half an oval of something above it just because of they are cool and I'm obsessed. =P

Let's not have giant pools of death and fire in the city center, please? =(

Also, we should do some renovating on the frontier nether-rail:
  • Going from pandora to spawn, the express/scenic selector does not work. I suggest just making that into a stop, not a junction. Waterworld is in easy walking distance.
  • Narnia's stop can simply also be a normal stop. Right now, one must flip the lever when going from pandora to spawn and back, which can easily lead to new players getting lost. Going through the scenic route should really only be for the prepared, so it can use a separate station.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 am UTC

Also, we should do some renovating on the frontier nether-rail:
  • Going from pandora to spawn, the express/scenic selector does not work. I suggest just making that into a stop, not a junction. Waterworld is in easy walking distance.
  • Narnia's stop can simply also be a normal stop. Right now, one must flip the lever when going from pandora to spawn and back, which can easily lead to new players getting lost. Going through the scenic route should really only be for the prepared, so it can use a separate station.

I say the same, the first time I ever made diamond armor. I was going to do something at spawn.. I went the wrong way. The rail went over lava and a pigmen got in the way. I got out of the minecart and was pushed into lava. I had just made that armor!
Attachments
2012-07-23_08.35.39.png
Lately I've learned that jumping on trees is so fun, and I've called it Tarzan mode. =P
I have an idea of building a building for a competition house filled with trees. Maybe some hidden chests with feather falling boots and in the end (see the pink wool) the goal is or something. What do you think?

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Ah yes, good old tree jumping. I would argue that Tarzaning should refer to a specific subset of tree jumping, namely jumping between the branches in jungle biomes, without touching the canopy leaves. As for regular tree jumping, what to call it? Lemuring? (If that is an innuendo of any sort please don't enlighten me).

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:36 pm UTC

As you see I've done quite some progress today. =P
(obviously, since I started today =P)
I'm gonna build this probably somewhere close to my home in the east, in that swamp biome. (tell me if you have anything against that)
Feel free to donate some wood (mainly pine tree) since I believe I'll need quite a lot. More than I've already gathered
(one chest). And I'm not done yet. =P
The trees won't probably be just like on this picture since I'm probably gonna try to make it a bit hard. =P
Attachments
2012-07-23_20.29.15.png
2012-07-23_20.29.35.png

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:06 am UTC

Might be interesting.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:44 am UTC

MrMonkey wrote:Image

Might be interesting.

What might me interesting? My idea? xD
Don't get it...
What's that sign saying? (I'm gonna search for it!)

EDT: Found it... I don't get anything else than it needs to be dechifered.. But I can't do such stuff...
But I'm pretty interested in it at least. Monkey. Is it you that place these things out?

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:07 am UTC

There are goodies at the end of the code. :D

Ciphers are traditionally Monkey's thing, and puzzle-platformers are traditionally mine.

Occasionally we switch up, and much fun is had by all.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:38 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:There are goodies at the end of the code. :D

Ciphers are traditionally Monkey's thing, and puzzle-platformers are traditionally mine.

Occasionally we switch up, and much fun is had by all.

I'd rather have puzzles with pistons and redstone and such than ciphers...=(
And I totally long for our "fake" end...

Snark

Postby Snark » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:16 am UTC

Nobody solve it til I do!

Return to “Gaming”