Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Alder

Re: Minecraft

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:45 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Has anyone else been following the Yogscast PVP events?

Yup. I watched quite a few of Sjin's Let's Build series too, so it's fun seeing the map actually used for something.

It's funny though, it doesn't seem to matter who's perspective I watch, the chests are always empty. Who's getting to all the stuff?!
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

Usually Sips and Sjin I think. I've really been enjoying Duncan and Hannah playing, despite Duncan's sour grapes. Area11 are surprisingly good at PVP also.

If only other e-sport was as fun as this, lol.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

Erm the sever is playing up.

Also if anyone goes into the nether can they pick up my stuff. Its on the nether rail near the blaze spawner.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Usually Sips and Sjin I think. I've really been enjoying Duncan and Hannah playing, despite Duncan's sour grapes. Area11 are surprisingly good at PVP also.

If only other e-sport was as fun as this, lol.

Aye, Duncan and Hannah are great. They came so close in round one!

There's been a lot of people in the game that I just didn't know, so I haven't watched every perspective. I'm subscribed to Duncan and Sjin, though, so watched both of them. I love Sjin's voice...

It's been fun though! Keeping me ticking over till the Mindcrack guys do their next season of Ultra Hardcore. :D
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 pm UTC

wam wrote:Erm the sever is playing up.

Also if anyone goes into the nether can they pick up my stuff. Its on the nether rail near the blaze spawner.

It worked for long enough I went and got it.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 pm UTC

Okay, nearly able to get normal connectivity now.

@marfal/mafral (sorry I missed your name): Pandora is a bit of a stretch to get to, but it's where most players are at the moment and there's more free space, though some players are still at old spawn. Either way, it's a good idea to know where it is.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

First time on SMO since update. THE JUNGLE BIOME IS AWESOME SAUCE. Took me a while to recognise cocoa beans. Now off to find a temple.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

But I have a hotel to build!

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:First time on SMO since update. THE JUNGLE BIOME IS AWESOME SAUCE. Took me a while to recognise cocoa beans. Now off to find a temple.

Dont forget to harvest the chiseled stone brick when you find one, only legit way to get them atm.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

Also, the nether trolley station might be having some problems with carts going over soulsand.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Also, the nether trolley station might be having some problems with carts going over soulsand.

That is most certainly not a "might."

Also, the lag spikes appear to make riding the minecarts an occasionally lethal affair.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:26 am UTC

Hi, I'm new to the server (SexyTalon's). Some of the people online when I started said I should let people on the forum know where I want to start building. I'm using (-17559, x, -9300) and some nearby space. I hope you don't mind. :mrgreen:

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 am UTC

MaFraL wrote:Hi, I'm new to the server (SexyTalon's). Some of the people online when I started said I should let people on the forum know where I want to start building. I'm using (-17559, x, -9300) and some nearby space. I hope you don't mind. :mrgreen:

So you found pandora then!

Having looked at the map that area looks unexplored so I would go for it. If you can't see any evidence of building your probably safe.

EDIT Also out of curiosity, I ended up in a location in the nether marked private (walked to from the nether rail station under spawn). Which then led me to a really dark cave at bedrock level. Any claimers or suggestions of what it was?

Ps I was trying to find someone on the surface so it wasn't helpful!

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

How does that map actually get updated? Does the server run the mapping software and periodically update it or does someone running the program locally have to do something manually? I didn't manage to find it on the Tectonicus site or the Minecraft wiki page. My little area didn't show up yet.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

Monkey, one of the ops, has access to the raw map data and runs the application against that, which he then uploads to dropbox (iirc). It does take a while for things to update, don't worry.

Have fun building there!

@wam: Was that the tree farm?

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

@ Mafral

That is a reasonably up to date version. (I can judge it by the extent my walls have grown).

Nope, well there was nothing there was really odd and spooky.

Many signs telling me to turn back. I have a sneak supsicion it may be near scallels old base having looked at the map.

Its here
Presentation1.jpg

Presentation2.jpg

Basically directly north of spawn at. X = 30 Y= 1300

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

Hello!
I'm also new to the server. I wanna make sure the place I'm going to have my house and farm are not already claimed. It looks relatively empty, judging by the map and by my own personal survey.

I'm going to have a small home in Pandora at:
x: -16620
z: -7680
That's west of the the hotel, past the building that looks like a capitol building.

If you go west-southwest from there, over the shallow ocean, there's a large island. I'm gonna build a farm there so I don't keep starving (and I don't have to take others' food).
It's at:
x: -16768,
z: -7624

Please let me know if either of these presents a problem. I won't start serious building for a week or so anyway.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm not that sure about it. Probably a long since abandoned project.

I also noticed a bunch of my signs in my storage mysteriously went blank.

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

Thanks. I didn't think it was really out of date. I just wanted to know how it got there. I assumed the server ran the program and updated in real time at first, but since my little mound didn't appear after a few hours, I was wondering how it worked.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Yeah, I'm not that sure about it. Probably a long since abandoned project.

Just curious

Yeah I think the sign thing is a 1.3 issue.

Edit: Gana, I was thinking do you want to setup an ender chest in pandora and I will put one in your base? It would allow people to send you cobble much more easily.

Realised it wont work oh well.
Last edited by wam on Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:21 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Yeah, I'm not that sure about it. Probably a long since abandoned project.

Do the signs have text now? I had that happen then later when the chunks unloaded/reloaded the text was there.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

wam wrote:

Just curious

Edit: Gana, I was thinking do you want to setup an ender chest in pandora and I will put one in your base? It would allow people to send you cobble much more easily.

Yeah, enderchests being account based is a mixed blessing. I kinda wish they had two types, one that used an ender eye, and one that used an enderball, with one being account based and one being server wide...

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

At least I can now take the materials and it means if I do go to trade, I will be able to take double the amount of cobble.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

Kain wrote:
wam wrote:

Just curious

Yeah, enderchests being account based is a mixed blessing. I kinda wish they had two types, one that used an ender eye, and one that used an enderball, with one being account based and one being server wide...

Wait, enderchests you say?

I'll check my signs when I go back to Narnia. I'm currently on an exploration adventure that I do every so often when I feel like I should play some, hey you don't have a bajillion resources in your storage shed minecraft.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:20 pm UTC

I think the signs are just a loading glitch.

Also, enchanting is now really effective. I used the settlement spawner (because it's the most controlled spawner with nearly constant output). A cold start took 15 minutes, a warm start (i.e. things already in the pipeline) took 12 minutes, to get to level 30. It's now more about luck on the actual enchantments, since my first attempt at level 30 just got me a Efficiency III pick. My second, though, got me a Efficiency IV, Unbreaking III, and Fortune II one. For 12 minutes of waiting. Wow.

Taily_Po wrote:Hello!
I'm also new to the server. I wanna make sure the place I'm going to have my house and farm are not already claimed. It looks relatively empty, judging by the map and by my own personal survey.

That's west of the the hotel, past the building that looks like a capitol building.

If you go west-southwest from there, over the shallow ocean, there's a large island. I'm gonna build a farm there so I don't keep starving (and I don't have to take others' food).
It's at:

Please let me know if either of these presents a problem. I won't start serious building for a week or so anyway.

If you look around and see no other signs of life, you should be good to go!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

I keep getting connection resets and timeouts... blargh.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:12 am UTC

So, it appears as though lava travels farther than 4 blocks in the over world... so much fire, I almost lost the entire village... a couple villagers were left and enough snow to create a snow golem, so repairs are being made with snow :(

In related news, I almost made a sucessfull iron farm. but then lava extended farther than I believe it should, resulting in unexpected fire.
Spoiler:
2012-08-09_21.50.40.png
the result of the fire, also I figured how to make the picture be in soilers, YAY
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:45 am UTC

Steax wrote:I think the signs are just a loading glitch.

Also, enchanting is now really effective. I used the settlement spawner (because it's the most controlled spawner with nearly constant output). A cold start took 15 minutes, a warm start (i.e. things already in the pipeline) took 12 minutes, to get to level 30. It's now more about luck on the actual enchantments, since my first attempt at level 30 just got me a Efficiency III pick. My second, though, got me a Efficiency IV, Unbreaking III, and Fortune II one. For 12 minutes of waiting. Wow.

Taily_Po wrote:
Hello!

It's at:

If you look around and see no other signs of life, you should be good to go!

Wewt! Thank you :)

Also, I have to share, at my location is a villager-bigfoot (or whatever). Awesome! I've never seen one before. And now I'm kinda afraid to settle here, considering Endangered Species and whatnot.
Attachments
bigfoot maybe.png

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:02 am UTC

Taily, that is a survivor of the war of the desert, to your north. The Kaledonian Aggressive Defense Force will pay handsomely for his destruction (one diamond block for picture evidence of you killing him).

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:04 am UTC

Kain wrote:Taily, that is a survivor of the war of the desert, to your north. The Kaledonian Aggressive Defense Force will pay handsomely for his destruction (one diamond block for picture evidence of you killing him).

Aww...i can't kill him/her; s/he's peaceful! and s/he was throwing zombies. mega-cool.
though anyone else want to do it, you know where s/he is.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

The offer of the diamond block only applies to Taily_Po, by the way :)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:08 pm UTC

Operation: Enderplaster is now underway. I'm trying to install ender chests at every major public space, like every farm, the communarium, etc. It should help people who need to export large amounts of items. The first one is on the pandora city center. I'm going to start placing them in other transportation hub spaces.

I also plan to create a direct portal to the settlement spawner and set up brewing for splash healing potions. Monkey, how's your spawner's EXP mode going? If it's good, I'll redirect efforts there instead.

Also, new features are already coming up: varied mobs (zombies with weapons/armor!), testificate moods (prices go down as you trade with them), testificate zombies (these villages are going to get their asses kicked), stationary potion effect pyramids...

Just when you thought villages were proof that other people can live peacefully on the minecraft world, they start getting attacked and turned into zombies. Typical.

Melic

Postby Melic » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

I set up a enchanting room and ender chest at monkeys floating spawner, The spawner doesnt seem to be as fast as the spawner by Plymouth Rock though.
They call me Mr. Piman

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

Well, I'll try to have them installed at all the Narnian locations.

Also, I'll hopefully get around to doing some repairs on the nether trolley today to get the soulsand out of the way.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:35 pm UTC

Random question (I have only been on the sever 6 months....) But where exactly is narnia?

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Through the wardrobe...

I think I saw some signs for it at the nether rail station or the spawn city (it might have been in the same direction as Pandora on the nether rail). I'm not sure about that though.

Edit: Is the server down now? I can't reach it and there was a lot of lag just a few minutes ago.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

MaFraL wrote:Through the wardrobe...

I think I saw some signs for it at the nether rail station or the spawn city (it might have been in the same direction as Pandora on the nether rail). I'm not sure about that though.

Edit: Is the server down now? I can't reach it and there was a lot of lag just a few minutes ago.

Yes, there are signs near the spawn city, and the nether trolley (and it is a trolley, not a railway) was originally installed to get to Narnia South (the massive construction that you stop at on the way to Pandora.) Now, from the spawn, you can take the above ground bridge and that takes you to Castle Clavey, the royal seat of Narnia, the area surrounding it is Narnia. There's a barn, some fields, a bunch of empty fenced in areas. A large obsidian floor that will eventually be the Narnia Arms.

There's also the Narnian Nature reserve, which is the world side of Narnia South. And the Narnian Bombing range, which is a slightly large hole in the ground.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

Kain wrote:The offer of the diamond block only applies to Taily_Po, by the way :)

And the US Customs and Border protection agency will pay you an emerald block for peacefully and successfully relocating him back to the village.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:34 am UTC

And Narnia won't give you shit.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:44 am UTC

So, can we have server olympics? I want to participate in archery+150m. Get past the 150 meter mark while shooting arrows at each other.

Return to “Gaming”