Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mieulium

Re: Minecraft

Postby mieulium » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

Carlomagno wrote:
halgdp wrote:
mieulium wrote:Ah, I thought it was called that. Its the crater in the mountain that is off pandora that contains all kinds of ores.

It's Valhalla, unless it's renamed by someone. (who knows :?: )

As the person who named Pandora, I approve of Valhalla.

I second that... Ah, someone described it as a miner's paradise/oasis... so it somehow stuck in my mind.

... I don't think I will be able to contribute much to anything right now, I'm still stuck at spawn. On a side note: The nether rail to Pandora causes physical harm midway.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:The nether rail to Pandora causes physical harm midway.

I'd had this problem as well on long rails, even in the overworld. Seems to happen mainly during lag-spikes, so strange, acts like you're sufficating or something.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

what if we dug out a bedrock level trail from waterworld to pandora, would that create less of a chance to be hurt if its as straight as possible?
these are words
type, type, type

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:what if we dug out a bedrock level trail from waterworld to pandora, would that create less of a chance to be hurt if its as straight as possible?

That would be a really, really, really long rail. Like, way too far to carve out, at least netherrack is quick to mine. My long rail which damages me sometimes is perfectly straight, so I don't think it matters how straight the line is.

There is talk about command blocks acting like a plane to teleport players, but barring that, I think an above-ground rail might be more practical than a below ground one.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

I've had that random rail damage thing happen on even relatively short journeys (monastery/cane farm to the city via the underground rail).
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:54 pm UTC

Build your rails on the seafloor. Also, where is Water World? I haven't been able to find any cities in the middle of the ocean.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 pm UTC

MaFraL wrote:Build your rails on the seafloor. Also, where is Water World? I haven't been able to find any cities in the middle of the ocean.

I think this would take even longer than building along bedrock, what with how slow you place/move/mine underwater.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:57 pm UTC

I like the command block plane idea but only for really long distances.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:22 pm UTC

MaFraL wrote:Build your rails on the seafloor. Also, where is Water World? I haven't been able to find any cities in the middle of the ocean.

Its not much of a city.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.ht ... =57&zoom=6

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:

I think this would take even longer than building along bedrock, what with how slow you place/move/mine underwater.

I know, but it's fun!

Also, when does the server get updated? I got the client update and was playing with it in creative this morning.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

Oh hey, the Tectonicus map is updated!

You can see the whole castle (and flying rail) now. I hope it won't attract more benders, I had one on each side of the castle last time I was on, what a pain to clean off.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.ht ... 270&zoom=7

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

You can always booby-trap the most likely locations with a BUD switch / lava.

In other news, I have made a self-repairing Spleef arena! I wasn't counting, but I think it takes less than a stack of redstone.

It has a wide feeding area for sand, and does some clever tricks to fit the important pieces as small as possible.

The entrance:
Spoiler:
1.png

2.png

The arena, above and below:
Spoiler:
3.png

4.png

The sand feed, currently in off position. Just behind the flip-flop is a hell-hole of wiring that keeps the feed pistons in sync. It was a lot of trouble to get the clock right, so the pistons wouldn't flip too fast and break sand mid-fall. The bottom-most piston in the feed is inverted, because it can only extend when the row of arena pistons is retracted.
Spoiler:
5.png

6.png

7.png
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 pm UTC

MaFraL wrote:
freezeblade wrote:

I know, but it's fun!

Also, when does the server get updated? I got the client update and was playing with it in creative this morning.

I believe it's whenever Bukkit puts out a Recommended Build. They keep updates on the front page at their web site.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:50 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
scienceroboticspunk wrote:what if we dug out a bedrock level trail from waterworld to pandora, would that create less of a chance to be hurt if its as straight as possible?

That would be a really, really, really long rail. Like, way too far to carve out, at least netherrack is quick to mine. My long rail which damages me sometimes is perfectly straight, so I don't think it matters how straight the line is.

There is talk about command blocks acting like a plane to teleport players, but barring that, I think an above-ground rail might be more practical than a below ground one.

Also, if you put the rail at the bottom of the nether it tends to be safer. If I'm remembering correctly, the part you take damage is up near the surface of the nether.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:44 am UTC

So I just bought minecraft. What's the XKCD server address, or the address the people here are playing? Assuming I can play too with you guys.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:48 am UTC

173.237.234.102:25569 - running the map Rippy was running, run by SexyTalon. Map can be found here.
PM blalobw, Rooosevelt or Mr. Monkey for access. You can PM SexyTalon, but.. he's probably going to ignore it. For realz. I know the dude. He's a dick. - SexyTalon.

66.90.104.192 - psion's server. PM him for Whitelist addifying

Plays the first server, mainly.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:52 am UTC

Msged Blalbow.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:42 am UTC

To warn everyone if you play on 1.4. Several times I've died and spawned at the spawn (singel player world. my own). Then I did a test.
I slept one night. And went away to drown 10 blocks away. It didn't work ad I spawned at the spawn point.
So beds doesn't seem to work. I don't think we want to have this problem on the server.
So I either think that we shouldn't update the server until it's fixed. (I wouldn't like this)
Or we use something like MCEdit and move the spawn...

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 am UTC

They'll have to patch that bed bug. Have you reported it?

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:They'll have to patch that bed bug. Have you reported it?

Nope. I probably should.

EDIT: Done

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:They'll have to patch that bed bug. Have you reported it?

:lol:
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

Found another bug! =D
This is fun.
Attachments
2012-10-30_16.38.12.png
Place the bed at the same time as you throw it and this happens.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:16 pm UTC

Minecraft v. 1.4: NOW with bed bugs!

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 am UTC

Been playing survivor. So far, my site has slimes that spawn near it on the surface (though one giant one seems to be immune to melee), pumpkins, plenty of other nice things. I have an underground garden and cowpen (haven't bothered with sheep, chickens, or pigs just yet), and am currently working on mass growing sugar so I can use up all these levels. I broke in to an abandoned mine near the bottom of the map, and have so much iron that I avoid stone tools if I can; I figure that being able to mine faster means more iron than saving iron by using stone picks.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:06 am UTC

If you've found a mineshaft, you should bring a bunch of torches (and weapons/armor) and explore a bit. You'll likely find a ravine or series of caves to gather resources from. Try not to get lost though or you probably will end up losing all your stuff.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 am UTC

I'm currently away from all network capability, so I'll be unavailable for a while. I've been twerking around with 1.4 though, and I think I've figured out a good way to farm-kill those wither bosses... Iron golems and enclosed spaces.

Deva wrote:
173.237.234.102:25569 - running the map Rippy was running, run by SexyTalon. Map can be found here.
PM blalobw, Rooosevelt or Mr. Monkey for access. You can PM SexyTalon, but.. he's probably going to ignore it. For realz. I know the dude. He's a dick. - SexyTalon.

66.90.104.192 - psion's server. PM him for Whitelist addifying

Plays the first server, mainly.

Wait, you're on the server?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:18 am UTC

Steax wrote:Wait, you're on the server?

No. Inhabits a sibling's server.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:44 am UTC

So I finally got an enchanting table up and running, and the first thing I did was enchant a diamond pick. Efficiency III and Unbreaking IV (or maybe it was the other way?). <3 <3 <3. I practically walked through walls with it. But then I fell into lava. Diamond pick of doom, I'll miss you!

Anyway, I had explored the mineshaft quite a bit previously, and have about 130 tracks from it. I cleared out several spider spawners, and a zombie and skeleton spawner (may have been a mistake; should've made some bone and flesh factories). It's been fun, I'll give it that.

Anyway, where can I find villages? I want to expand my grain gardens and trade for all the diamonds I'll ever need.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:06 am UTC

Discovers villages randomly on the surface. Appears primarily in Plains and Desert biomes. Cannot receive diamonds through villagers. Offers diamond tools/equipment, however. Lists all possibilities here.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:19 am UTC

Looks like written books are my best bet. Better start my chicken coop and massacre some squids...

EDIT: People apparently make complicated squid harvesting traps, for mass slaughter of squids. Sounds like Dwarf Fortress.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:45 am UTC

Deva wrote:
Steax wrote:Wait, you're on the server?

No. Inhabits a sibling's server.

Ah, I see. Come visit us!

CorruptUser wrote:Looks like written books are my best bet. Better start my chicken coop and massacre some squids...

EDIT: People apparently make complicated squid harvesting traps, for mass slaughter of squids. Sounds like Dwarf Fortress.

Come to the server and you'll see so much more... in terms of weird traps of every shape and form. And due to our age, you'll see old contraptions up to the very new ones.

Try PMing roos/monkey too if blal isn't responding.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:50 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:EDIT: People apparently make complicated squid harvesting traps, for mass slaughter of squids. Sounds like Dwarf Fortress.

There was actually a DwarfFortressCraft mod, but it never really got off the ground. A shame.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:15 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Discovers villages randomly on the surface. Appears primarily in Plains and Desert biomes. Cannot receive diamonds through villagers. Offers diamond tools/equipment, however. Lists all possibilities here.

I know you have probably gotten this before, but your style of writing is really bothersome to me. It might be because I'm a foreign language teacher and your posts look like a bad translation from one of my students, but it just really irks me. I wish I could write a script to rewrite your posts without an implied third person subject for all of your verbs, but I lack the skills.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

Carlomagno wrote:
Deva wrote:Discovers villages randomly on the surface. Appears primarily in Plains and Desert biomes. Cannot receive diamonds through villagers. Offers diamond tools/equipment, however. Lists all possibilities here.

I know you have probably gotten this before, but your style of writing is really bothersome to me. It might be because I'm a foreign language teacher and your posts look like a bad translation from one of my students, but it just really irks me. I wish I could write a script to rewrite your posts without an implied third person subject for all of your verbs, but I lack the skills.

I have to admit, I cackled like a maniac at this. Everyone in the cubefarm around me stared. I was thinking the same thing, but was just able to refrain from posting about it. I was going to call it "disembodied third person" though.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:23 am UTC

I can't seem to locate any members named "rooosevelt" or "mr. monkey".

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:26 am UTC

Try Roosevelt and MrMonkey. (Not Rooosevelt or Mr. Monkey. Misspelled them, apparently. Apologies.)

Melic

Postby Melic » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:07 pm UTC

continuing the off topic conversation, I agree with the weird third erson thing. This actually keeps me from going to alot of other threads in the fourms is this a common way of talking in fourms that I have not been privy too?

So any big projects people want to start after the server is 1.4 compliant? After I go through my city looking for places to put the new corner stairs I dont have anything really planned.
They call me Mr. Piman

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:32 pm UTC

No, nobody else does it. Deva's just weird (and it bugs me too).
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

I teach college comp courses as well. I think it bothers me less because of how much stupid I see in general. Honestly, how hard is it to just not put 2nd person in the paper? Or to put a proper mla header on a paper?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

Melic wrote:So any big projects people want to start after the server is 1.4 compliant? After I go through my city looking for places to put the new corner stairs I dont have anything really planned.

Well, I'm working on a rail that would connect Winterfell to Spawn. Winterfell is between Spawn and Pandora on the tip of the big ice planes biome, and is an awesome midpoint in the travel. Someone else was talking about moving in nearby too, I was hoping to create a mini-base between the two (pretty complete) civs.

Return to “Gaming”