Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

_infina_

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:22 pm UTC

I just had a creeper spawn during the day in a closed building that was well lit...how, just how, does something like that happen?
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

Sounds like a job for Sssssssssssssssssssssssssscience.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:31 pm UTC

Ok, looking at 1.4 I think I'm going to completely avoid swamps now. slimes spawn, witches (I'm not a witch, I'm not a witch. But you look like one!). Yeah. no swamps for me.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

Well, I said the house contest ends with 1.4, so, uh, finalize your entries? (might give a few days afterwards too).

Also, I have a lot of fun planned that both does and doesn't involve wanting to be the Steve(?) :twisted:

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:Someone else was talking about moving in nearby too, I was hoping to create a mini-base between the two (pretty complete) civs.

That someone else was me, but I'm starting to reconsider. I know I want to end up relocating to somewhere other than my underground and island area (which is just off the west coast of Pandora, southwest of the circle fort), and I'm loathe to settle in my initial 1.3-lands here, because I don't want to deal with snow-proofing things. It makes for a fun little build project now and then, but I don't want it for everything. Thinking along these lines, there's the rail I built going north to the jungle (which I'm currently using as a kitty mill, in search of a siamese cat), but snow golems don't survive in jungles. I like snow golems. This also rules out the desert east of the jungle.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty fricken' choosy about where I'd be willing to properly relocate to. My pie-in-the-sky area would have, in descending order of importance to me:
  • A desert biome
  • A relatively flat, non-desert, non-snowy, non-aquatic biome bordering the aforementioned desert
  • An Extreme Hills biome bordering the aforementioned aforementioned desert
  • A non-spider dungeon in the aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned desert, or in the aforementioned aforementioned flat biome adjacent to the aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned desert, or in the aforementioned Extreme Hills biome
  • An NPC village within feasible testificate-napping distance of the aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned desert/aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned flat biome border
  • An ocean the border the aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned flat biome the aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned desert the aforementioned aforementioned Extreme Hills biome the aforementioned non-spider dungeon is near borders shares with the aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned aforementioned desert borders
  • Somebody to keep me from torturing the English language like this in the future

Actually, screw that last bullet point. This post was fun to write.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:07 am UTC

Fractangle, I think you just described the exact natural conditions of Pandora, mostly where the city is now. My apologies that we civilized the area.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:24 am UTC

There's a desert on the other side of the mountains north of the oil field with some plains nearby.

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:47 am UTC

Carlomagno wrote:Fractangle, I think you just described the exact natural conditions of Pandora, mostly where the city is now. My apologies that we civilized the area.

Weall, maybeh 'fore all y'all gorsh darn city slickers dun gone an' pave it all over, what with yer fancy com-yoo-nairy-ums and sand makin' machines... Out'n the country, if ya wanted a lump ah sand, you grabbed yerself a shuvel an' dug in the crick! :lol:

But in seriousness, here's what I tend to think about when looking for a location to settle, as paired with my prior post's bullets:
  • I. HATE. RAIN. As far as sounds go, the disparity of its volume to its usefulness-for-me-to-hear is terrible. The only other sounds that are on par with rain in this regard are cows and pistons, both of which can be easily prevented with strategically placed TNT. This is why the desert is a Big Deal™.
  • Flat areas are perfect for above-ground buildings. Granted, you can do some really nifty stuff integrating a building into the terrain, but that's not really my thing.
  • Extreme Hills are the only place I will ever construct a branch mine anymore. If I'm going to be digging a bunch of dull tunnels, I'm gonna get my money's worth.
  • Non-spider dungeons are (in my opinion) the easiest way to make mob-killing-based xp grinders. I'd be a lot happier about the idea of building a dark-room-spawning-of-everything xp grinder if it weren't for the hassle of dealing with spiders' ability to climb walls.
  • Testificates are good to imprison, con, and murder trade with, and are a vital part of an iron factory. Also, their noses are still funny to me. :roll:
  • Flying-in-midair builds can be fun, but I don't want to deal with the shadow causing mobs to spawn. Sure, I could light it up, but that just feels weird...

That being said, I fully expect to never find such a place. Though, I am curious about this area... I see a decent size NPC village in the desert, which is adjacent to both flat non-desert biomes, Extreme Hills, and the ocean, and I count no fewer than four surface dungeons. All on the north side of the unexplored bit. :shock:

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:26 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:Well, I said the house contest ends with 1.4, so, uh, finalize your entries? (might give a few days afterwards too).

Also, I have a lot of fun planned that both does and doesn't involve wanting to be the Steve(?) :twisted:

Someone can take my plot. I'm currently far out of town. :(
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:10 am UTC

Fractangle wrote:That being said, I fully expect to never find such a place. Though, I am curious about this area... I see a decent size NPC village in the desert, which is adjacent to both flat non-desert biomes, Extreme Hills, and the ocean, and I count no fewer than four surface dungeons. All on the north side of the unexplored bit. :shock:

You might want to wait exploring that bit between the extreme-hills biome and the desert biome, it looks like it is a swamp and there could spawn witch huts there if it isn't explored until 1.4.

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

halgdp wrote:
Fractangle wrote:That being said, I fully expect to never find such a place. Though, I am curious about this area... I see a decent size NPC village in the desert, which is adjacent to both flat non-desert biomes, Extreme Hills, and the ocean, and I count no fewer than four surface dungeons. All on the north side of the unexplored bit. :shock:

You might want to wait exploring that bit between the extreme-hills biome and the desert biome, it looks like it is a swamp and there could spawn witch huts there if it isn't explored until 1.4.

Good thinking! I'll avoid that area for now.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:11 am UTC

Do witches spawn naturally, or do they require the huts? The drops look alarmingly good.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:34 am UTC

Steax wrote:Do witches spawn naturally, or do they require the huts? The drops look alarmingly good.

Only the huts, but you can get them to spawn in very high numbers.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:10 am UTC

Interestiiiiing. A witch spawner would actually be really useful.

Also, is the server down, or is it just me (and my IP address issue)?

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:12 am UTC

Steax wrote:Interestiiiiing. A witch spawner would actually be really useful.

Its not up for me either.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

So I built an egg farm, but with approximately 200 chickens the games lagged terribly, so I was forced to slaughter my chickens. I also got some squids at first, before I got my chicken population up to speed. I'm thinking of creating a giant monster spawner and harvester; large dark rooms aboveground, that with the flip of a switch opens up the floodgates (pistons) releasing the water and pushing all the spawned mobs down a tube. The final tube will be lined with cacti but not enough to simply kill the mobs; I want them low enough HP that I can kill with a hit or two but give me all the xp I need for enchanting. Plus the occasional iron tool.

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
Steax wrote:Interestiiiiing. A witch spawner would actually be really useful.

Its not up for me either.

I can't connect either. We should probably riot or something.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

Steax/Rirez should be a opadmin now. So I should probably show him how to check the server status on the backend. I'll look into it now, but might take a minute. On a phone.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:04 pm UTC

Should be good. Will check again shortly

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

Yep, it's back. Can we still riot?

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Holy fuck, who's horrible ass idea was creepers.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:24 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Do witches spawn naturally, or do they require the huts? The drops look alarmingly good.

They spawn only inside the hut.
Docm77 and the JL server made a pretty darn good design for a trap.
This is a tutorial on how it works and how to build it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KllWkdfOS3M

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:13 pm UTC

So I probably won't be on too much for the next few days (not that i've been particularly active lately anyway) since my laptop decided to hate me and almost die (it's only working right now cuz I have a textbook holding the power cord in place). But on the bright side it gives me an excuse to build a new computer that will be able to destroy the minecraft requirements.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:13 am UTC

Oh great second_talon, lord of hedgehog pizza, I beseech thee! I have gathered up an offering and caused it to be placed upon a plinth of precious minerals in the place where you did cleanse the world of a great abomination of poultry! I beg your forgiveness in that I was not able to gather the blood of 12 virgins or the sound of one hand clapping and if it please thee ask that I not feel your polygonal wrath.
It's in my hole in the ocean in front of the nether portal.
The filter can bite me.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 am UTC

MaFraL wrote:Oh great second_talon, lord of hedgehog pizza, I beseech thee! I have gathered up an offering and caused it to be placed upon a plinth of precious minerals in the place where you did cleanse the world of a great abomination of poultry! I beg your forgiveness in that I was not able to gather the blood of 12 virgins or the sound of one hand clapping and if it please thee ask that I not feel your polygonal wrath.
It's in my hole in the ocean in front of the nether portal.
The filter can bite me.

You think you can hide text in plain sight? the large text demons smite you...sort of.

I haven't been playing much recently, on account of one of the devs for a mod I use (to the extent that it's one of the most important mods in the game for me) has been having a VERY hard time with the movement from 1.2.5 to 1.3 and beyond...to the extent that the entire mod pretty much needed to e rewritten from scratch. suffice to say, it's been a LONG wait.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:50 am UTC

I push for the motion that Rirez should now be called Super Rirez.

Reasons being:
1. He flies around like a superhero.
2. He helps us
3. And he is so swift at helping us he just suddenly appears in our head in 1s.

/end drunken teasing.

PS. Sorry if I made you awkward Rirez, it was my birthday yesterday and I decided to devote some of my energy teasing you. BD
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 am UTC

I was not flying around. You must be drunk.

:D

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:01 am UTC

Steax wrote:I was not flying around. You must be drunk.

lies I saw it with my own eyes.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Steax wrote:I was not flying around. You must be drunk.

lies I saw it with my own eyes.

Who knows, you might be lying to. :P

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:12 pm UTC

halgdp wrote:Who knows, you might be lying to. :P

Well, I also saw him use his magic powers of teleportation
*insert oooOOooooooo*

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

Hah, it's about damn time. I should get back on the server... I have a new account though, I'd like 'taygetea' whitelisted.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:41 pm UTC

As per Melic's request, AODpunk has been whitelisted.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

I've moved my dirt/grass deposits (which I've been collecting for a while) to that uber-mountain-construction place. Which seems to be going smoothly.

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:09 am UTC

SecondTalon, did you take half of the iron I had in that chest? If not, someone else did and I'm not mining more. :roll: Also, I'm still not sure if you were serious about getting the resources for those rails you placed.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:22 am UTC

If I'm looking at the right place the bukkit for 1.4.2 is out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:30 am UTC

MaFraL wrote:SexyTalon, did you take half of the iron I had in that chest? If not, someone else did and I'm not mining more. :roll: Also, I'm still not sure if you were serious about getting the resources for those rails you placed.

I had not.

That is.....highly irksome.

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 am UTC

I've had enough of this Bender graffiti. Result:
Spoiler:
2012-11-09_20.59.38.png

2012-11-09_22.13.08.png

2012-11-09_22.17.13.png

2012-11-09_22.20.06.png

2012-11-09_22.30.08.png

I also took down several others, though not with fire as they were attached to flammable structures.

On a completely different note, what will happen to the current gold farm in the nether? Will it be in a chunk that things other than zombie pigmen can spawn in? If so, will that break it, or make it dangerous (read: blazes are scary, scary things)? Similarly, since the new spawning happens in nether fortress-related chunks, what will this mean for the current nether infrastructure? Should I begin creating elaborate contraptions to protect my overworld-side things from rogue ghasts/blazes/wither-skeletons?

I've also stockpiled nearly 22 stacks of soul sand, and am looking into whether it's possible/practical to automate Wither killing. I know the Wither has to be created by hand, but beyond that it may be worth making a soulless killing machine to kill a soulless killing machine...

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
MaFraL wrote:SexyTalon, did you take half of the iron I had in that chest? If not, someone else did and I'm not mining more. :roll: Also, I'm still not sure if you were serious about getting the resources for those rails you placed.

I had not.

That is.....highly irksome.

My bad. I saw a crapton of stuff in a chest and an empty sign next to it, and assumed it was just being glitchy and that was one of those "take this, I have tons more" kind of chests. I still remember where it was, so I can take it back.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:53 pm UTC

Nope, that stuff was specifically for ST. He laid down the unpowered rails for about half of my tunnel. If you decide you need arrows, slime balls, or flint for some reason you can go inside and take some of that. I have a slime spawn in my hole and dig a lot of gravel up. If you really want to, you can take feathers and chicken too, but I think there's a farm on Pandora for that.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

Fractangle wrote:I've had enough of this Bender graffiti. Result:
Spoiler:
2012-11-09_20.59.38.png

2012-11-09_22.13.08.png

2012-11-09_22.17.13.png

2012-11-09_22.20.06.png

2012-11-09_22.30.08.png

I also took down several others, though not with fire as they were attached to flammable structures.

FINALLY< Thanks so much for thinking the same about them as me! <3

Return to “Gaming”