Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

_infina_

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:20 pm UTC

Server should be back up. Enjoy.

As a side note, the server may be moved in a couple of days to a system located in Canada instead of its current location in France. At that time, I will look into adding access to the server for another admin.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:46 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Does the summoning actually have to take place in a specific location?

It has to be at the Exit portal created from defeating the dragon the first time.

oscar_spider wrote:Not sure what mess you are seeing in the nether, perhaps that is just in spawn area. Out by Pandora it seems fine.

Similar for the mob farms, they seem to be working pretty much the same here. The Pigman farm I fixed yesterday (it had been on my to do list for a long time)- it was only broke because someone had gummed up the drop chute with clay blocks.

For the End, I suggest just rebuilding the bridge to the Enderman farm with obsidian. The farm itself is 300 blocks out, so should be safe. Other structures at the main island will al be destroyed by the Dragon so no point in worrying about them other than saving any chest contents elsewhere.

I admit that the mess is mostly from the perspective of "the mapmaker". The Pandora side is reasonably fine, but at spawn there a plenty of dead portals, misaligned portals, dead ends, branches that go nowhere or to places of dubious importance. If you just want to get from A to B in the Nether (and you know how), it actually is quite usable.

Nice work with the farm; it means there will be a couple of new/repaired rail sections in the near to midterm future.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:08 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:
I admit that the mess is mostly from the perspective of "the mapmaker". The Pandora side is reasonably fine, but at spawn there a plenty of dead portals, misaligned portals, dead ends, branches that go nowhere or to places of dubious importance. If you just want to get from A to B in the Nether (and you know how), it actually is quite usable.

Yeah, it's likely a holdover from when everything was nearby there and could probably use a bit of redesign to help people get where they need to go; though, to be honest I don't think there's really much of anything spawn side that people need those nether portals far that aren't personal projects--so probably just some main paths to the navigational portals would solve that problem. Unless you're really dead set on the overland route to Pandora. Though, I'd have to admit, I was a bit lost as shit around pandora, albeit that was the first time I'd really used it.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:36 pm UTC

I'm looking for good adventure maps to play with my sister and brother-in-law. I'd prefer non-parkour heavy maps, as we all suck at that, but puzzles and story is good. 1.9 version preferred though I can probably figure out how to make earlier versions work. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm about to install Terra Restore 2, we'll see how that one goes. I'll post a review if it's any good.

*edit*
After just a little while playing this I'mma say it's the best adventure map for minecraft I've ever seen, and me and my sister only got to the first 'boss' fight, which was more of a tutorial duel. It's almost got more polish than a Bethsaida RPG, though that isn't saying much :P

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:24 am UTC

raudorn wrote:With 1.9, Pigmen will no longer spawn on rails. Without mobs blocking the way, the railway in the Nether is fully usable again, sans the cart summon, which has always been wonky.
Hooray, finally. As for the carts, I wonder if it would be best to just have command blocks that spawn a minecart. When I was recently looking around some of the minecart chests were empty.
raudorn wrote:That said, the Nether is a MESS. If it weren't for the rails (and the embassy and the farms), I'd vote to reset it and reopen the portals from the Overworld. Don't know how we can fix this, except with a map and copious amounts of signs.
I'd prefer to fix it manually. The nether is a bit of a mess though. For some reason there are cows by my island's portal...
Jahoclave wrote:Well if there's anything the server map doesn't lack, it's ocean biome. That was a bad time in their land generation coding.

I actually prefer this style, since it breaks up the land into well-defined continents. At the moment ocean biomes are basically giant lakes.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:04 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I actually prefer this style, since it breaks up the land into well-defined continents. At the moment ocean biomes are basically giant lakes.

I agree. And when I get back on the server (eventually) I think I'll pick an old chunk to call home for this reason, maybe one of the ones with an extreme border between different map generation algorithms, I like those.

Where is the "black forest" on the Tectonicus map?
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:16 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:I actually prefer this style, since it breaks up the land into well-defined continents. At the moment ocean biomes are basically giant lakes.

I agree. And when I get back on the server (eventually) I think I'll pick an old chunk to call home for this reason, maybe one of the ones with an extreme border between different map generation algorithms, I like those.

Where is the "black forest" on the Tectonicus map?

The map is too old for Black Forest to be seen on it. It sits on the landmass north of Crying Man Statue, which itself is westsouth-west of Cookie Kingdom, which is itself south of Spawn, connected by the Skyway (fairly visible). There's also an airport FWIW.

Edit: Fixed directions, because remembering geometry correctly is hard.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:53 pm UTC

We should really get an update on that map, then.

I really like the look of some of the raw biome edges and extreme mountains south of the crying man statue.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:00 pm UTC

I am waiting for some things to update. When they are ready, I should have a live map available. Tectonicus doesn't want to run on my server, so I cannot update it that way.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 pm UTC

Don't you think it is far more adventurous without a map? :mrgreen:

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:18 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Don't you think it is far more adventurous without a map? :mrgreen:

Perhaps it plays to my Architectural and planning background, but I like to pick "sites" of construction seeing a larger picture, only so much external planning can be done in-game without a map, from an over-arching "whole map" approach.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:48 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Don't you think it is far more adventurous without a map? :mrgreen:

Adventurous, maybe, me constantly lost as shit because I can't even figure out north from south. Definitely.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:06 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:

Adventurous, maybe, me constantly lost as shit because I can't even figure out north from south. Definitely.

Have you ever made a compass? :wink:

Truth be told, I do use the debug screen for my direction every now and then (not for coordinates, because that requires me to remember coordinates first). And compasses don't do squat in the nether.

[edit]
I just figured out that I'm really missing out on all the things you can do with hoppers.
Last edited by Flumble on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

I had a nifty little plug-in that showed a little mini overhead map in the corner of the screen for a while, which really helped me out, but I can't figure out how to re-install it in the newer versions.

http://minecraftfive.com/reis-minimap-mod/

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:18 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:I had a nifty little plug-in that showed a little mini overhead map in the corner of the screen for a while, which really helped me out, but I can't figure out how to re-install it in the newer versions.

http://minecraftfive.com/reis-minimap-mod/

Last I checked, it was not being updated. It appears that the last released version was for 1.6.2. JourneyMap is the new goto for a minimap.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:13 am UTC

A minimap is kind of interchangeable with a map item.

Also, what's this ice doing in the nether?
2016-03-05_03.25.29.png
Cold Encounter

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:57 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:

Have you ever made a compass? :wink:

Truth be told, I do use the debug screen for my direction every now and then (not for coordinates, because that requires me to remember coordinates first). And compasses don't do squat in the nether.

[edit]
I just figured out that I'm really missing out on all the things you can do with hoppers.

Even then... I think it's because they shifted the coords of Minecraft all those years ago and I've never adjusted. Because fuck, I'm an Eagle Scout and shit and can generally navigate the fuck out of things. So I clearly blame things not me. Like Obama. It's his fault I can't navigate in Minecraft. Thanks Obama.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:33 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:A minimap is kind of interchangeable with a map item.

I disagree on this, as you need the map item out in order for it to be useful, where as the minimap stays up on your screen, in the corner. You can also adjust the zoom on the fly.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:58 am UTC

Which banner conveys "darkness, no parents, more darkness, the opposite of light" the most?
2016-03-08_20.20.42.png
bannière à trois

It's for decoration in my main hall.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:01 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Which banner conveys "darkness, no parents, more darkness, the opposite of light" the most?
2016-03-08_20.20.42.png

It's for decoration in my main hall.

The one on the left looks amazing.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:33 am UTC

Agreed, left is best. Easy to see, traditional white skeleton, looks like flames emerging from darkness. Middle one is simpler (worse) and black skelly isn't as good. Right looks like it's just underlit, no suggestion of flames (if there's scalloping at the top, I can't see it).
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:34 am UTC

Alright, left it is.
I also tried some brick patterns, but they lead to too much contrast detracting from the skull & bones. Although, I haven't tried brick overlayed with gradients to wash it out.

...now to kill dozens of wither skeletons for some new skulls. :mrgreen:

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:29 am UTC

Yeah, about that asking me to drop by your base thing. I now have some serious reservations on that, for health and safety reasons. At least until I get the full OSHA report that says no torture dungeons or sacrifices are going on.

zenzhou

Postby zenzhou » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:54 pm UTC

Last I checked, it was not being updated. It appears that the last released version was for 1.6.2. JourneyMap is the new goto for a minimap.

JourneyMap does not have a 1.9 version, is there any minimap that works on v1.9?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:36 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Yeah, about that asking me to drop by your base thing. I now have some serious reservations on that, for health and safety reasons. At least until I get the full OSHA report that says no torture dungeons or sacrifices are going on.

I don't even have a skull fortress with lava-weeping eyes (yet). :o

Also speaking of torture dungeons and sacrificing, I really need one of those. With incantations to summon C'thulu or Be'elzebub or Zalgo or whomever.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:02 pm UTC

zenzhou wrote:

JourneyMap does not have a 1.9 version, is there any minimap that works on v1.9?

I wouldn't expect that until after fortune updates. That will likely be another week or so, depending on lex's mood.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:38 pm UTC

Finally, I have begun decorating the place. And already I feel like redecorating: the central placement of the walkways make the ravine feel small.

2016-03-11_07.44.10.png

(yes, it's a small project compared to some of those on the server, but this one's mine)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:12 pm UTC

Dear 1.9... etc, whatever update. DIVING GEAR. That is all.

In other note, the harbor is slowly coming along. I finally have the walls up around the other island and might remove the first section of capping sometime soon.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:32 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Dear 1.9... etc, whatever update. DIVING GEAR. That is all.

Do you have any enchantment or potion aiding your underwater adventures yet?

[edit] ooh, my 10000000000th counting post.
Last edited by Flumble on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:05 am UTC

Flumble wrote:

Do you have any enchantment or potion aiding your underwater adventures yet?

No, I covered everything over with a layer of dirt so I can dig most of it out pretty easily. It's just those few moments when I have to transverse into water to deal with blocks or accidentally flood myself that I hate how annoying water is. You can't even press ctrl to swim faster. And it has better knockback than skeletons.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:58 pm UTC

The server appears to be down since sometime yesterday.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:59 pm UTC

Depth Strider enchantment on boots lets you move quickly while under water.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

Now this is a cave:
2016-03-24_23.41.48.png

Big lava lakes in large caverns with some levels/bridges inside. (and of course loads of ores, but I've carefully removed those already)

*of course AAZ's lava cavern is bigger and more awesome, but this one's natural.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:53 pm UTC

I miss having Fumble on the server to draw all the mob spawns. Good god, I refuse to allow my poor lighting of my excavation be the reason I got murdered by super-elite sniper skeletons who won't even die to diamond blade be the reason. That's probably the most I've ever raged at minecraft.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:10 pm UTC

And I now realized what shields are for. You know, now that I've finished my underwater excavation.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:43 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:And I now realized what shields are for. You know, now that I've finished my underwater excavation.

For occupying the offhand slot, so I can keep scroll-switching between pickaxe and torches, because surely deep underground I'm constantly beleaguered by skeletons and would rather be safe than mine more conveniently. /s

In other news I started a SP world with the Technology World 2 modpack. Three hours in and I'm debugging turtles. Seriously, I'm a software developer by day and by night I'm stumped by a mining program as simple as "strip mine everything". I just figured out how to deal with gravel and now the turtles trip over cavities.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:29 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:And I now realized what shields are for. You know, now that I've finished my underwater excavation.

For occupying the offhand slot, so I can keep scroll-switching between pickaxe and torches, because surely deep underground I'm constantly beleaguered by skeletons and would rather be safe than mine more conveniently. /s

In other news I started a SP world with the Technology World 2 modpack. Three hours in and I'm debugging turtles. Seriously, I'm a software developer by day and by night I'm stumped by a mining program as simple as "strip mine everything". I just figured out how to deal with gravel and now the turtles trip over cavities.

Yeah, I kind of miss all the mods for minecraft when playing vanilla. But, as it is, I've kind of overplayed them for SP. I tend to stay away from anything programming related since I nearly went insane as a comp sci major. I love solving problems, I hate coding. I remember back years ago when I programmed a computer to monitor my power so that when I had excess it would turn on and off the uu matter machine. I can't imagine how much of a pain those turtles are. I rather liked making all the automation and feel like I really should give factorio a try. But I'm also kind of wanting a more multiplayer experience these days.

But mainly I kept dying to skeletons and the shield would have prevented that.

This has been a really jumpy post.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:12 pm UTC

I am verifying that the newly published FTB Infinity Skyblock is not an April Fools joke, and I will be setting up a server for it. Who is interested in playing on it?
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:03 am UTC

It's an April Fools joke.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:28 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:It's an April Fools joke.

It actually is not. I am streaming it on Beam.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Return to “Gaming”