Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Feylias

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:22 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Also I last synced the world on 2017-03-05, so if the inventories were unfucked back then, I'll send them/the world to you (to merge or replace the current world).
That would absolutely work for me.
To my knowledge, nobody else had their inventory screwed up, so reverting might actually be negative for them. I just PM'd infina with the three things to I needed replaced. I'm cool either way, though.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:29 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Flumble wrote:
Also I last synced the world on 2017-03-05, so if the inventories were unfucked back then, I'll send them/the world to you (to merge or replace the current world).

Can you put the player.dat files back on the server. That should resolve it...

Wait, do I have write permissions via rsync? :shock:

I've sent you a PM with Feylias' player status, assuming it's only his account that has been corrupted. (I'll check later if any other player has been corrupted in the meantime.)

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:48 pm UTC

I bring you today's episode of "raudorn dies stupid deaths in Minecraft":

-------------------------------------

What killed me: Minecart

How to reproduce: Take the rail from the Endermen farm in the End towards the End Spawn Tower. Because the endpoint has two unpowered rail tiles, you will get stuck at the first one, which is technically still inside the tunnel instead of in the room. Dismount from the cart. The cart notices that there is no room and helpfully decides to dismount you where there is the most room - namely the void beneath the floor. You will have a few seconds of confused free fall.

Carry expensive equipment, they said. You'll be fine, they said.

What killed me: Swords swipe ability

How the hell: Fought a witch while lighting up a cave. An enderman creeps towards the witch and decides that right next to it is a perfect place to stand around. In the heat of the moment forgot that swords swipe now. Ouch.

What killed me: Forgetfulness

How it happened: Collected my items from the previous death. The Enderman was still there. When I approached I carefully looked away, then I put everything on/back into the hotbar, cheerfully turned around... and stared directly into the Enderman's eyes. I'm so bad at combat, I couldn't kill the thing with a diamond sword in full diamond armor and various enchantments. To be fair, an unfortunate spike of server lag (I think) didn't help with timing the swings.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:Because the endpoint has two unpowered rail tiles, you will get stuck at the first one, which is technically still inside the tunnel instead of in the room.

Note that you can push the cart if you're inside it (even up slopes if the phase of the Moon is right). (I always push it to the end to make the return easier, since the minecart will see there's only one direction to accelerate once you press the button and you get the maximum boost.)

Oh and if you're not too forgetful in the heat of battle: drop a bucketload of water beneath you so mobs (especially endermen) can't get to you.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:57 am UTC

raudorn wrote:I bring you today's episode of "raudorn dies stupid deaths in Minecraft":
I may be in the minority, but I very much enjoy reading/hearing stories of things like this. For Minecraft and lots of other games (a buddy tells me stories of KSP, and another of Galactic Civilizations.)

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:16 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
_infina_ wrote:
Flumble wrote:
Also I last synced the world on 2017-03-05, so if the inventories were unfucked back then, I'll send them/the world to you (to merge or replace the current world).

Can you put the player.dat files back on the server. That should resolve it...

Wait, do I have write permissions via rsync? :shock:

I've sent you a PM with Feylias' player status, assuming it's only his account that has been corrupted. (I'll check later if any other player has been corrupted in the meantime.)

You have ssh access, which is how you rsync. You could pop in and restart the server. I have a startserver.sh setup with the correct commands.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:07 am UTC

Spoiler:
Mordor_20MAR2017.png
We have a new map! I love new map day.

Also, I'm totally nearing completion of filling the sky! The map shows about 75 squares unfilled. I've filled 13 on the south side since then. So, only a little over eleven doublechests of cobble to fill (each square is 25x25).

Good times; I'll probably take some time to build some kind of wonder in the middle of the central lake, and maybe something on the grass field area in the north center of the hole.

Also, I look forward to finding out what the weird square of oddly-colored water atop the south middle portion of my sky, just south of my skytop biggest lawn. Or maybe it's just a map glitch; there's some stuff spawnside that suggests the map's a WIP right now (holes in the map places like Roos' "Someone's wrong on the internet!" comic and a spawnside aircraft carrier, and some areas where the terrain looks copy-pasted a bit.) Probably not a big deal.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:52 pm UTC

Can we update the first page with a link to the current map? the link on there is dead, and I always have a hard time finding the map link buried in the thread.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:10 pm UTC

What's the link?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:18 pm UTC

GuitarFreak wrote:Anyone ever play it? It's a pretty fun game. http://www.minecraft.net

Make an account and join up on my server: http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?serve ... 456c018e7c Let me know if you can't connect.

Talon-Edit! Active Server List to Follow

Spoiler:
The present XKCD Minecraft server is hosted by _infina_ at xkcd.cbouton.com

miasacraft.cbouton.com - _infinia_'s ftb server. PM him, headprogrammingczar, or get on #MIASACraft channel on irc.esper.net for Whitelist addifying
Uses FTB Private Pack "MIASACraft" - modlist can be found at /r/MIASACraft
Map is at http://map.miasacraft.cbouton.com

This is the first post. I suppose they may not be active anymore, so it's impossible to get it updated. I just wish there was a way to get to the server map without sifting through the thread extensively.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:29 pm UTC

As you can see from the red text, people like SecondTalon have the ability to edit the first post.

SecondTalon wrote:What's the link?

If Feylias is referring to the map I'm updating every now and then, it's at https://xkcd.flumble.nl/map/ (also embedded in the status page).
And for hysterical porpoises, the old map can be found here.

_infina_ wrote:You have ssh access, which is how you rsync. You could pop in and restart the server. I have a startserver.sh setup with the correct commands.

...ooooooooooh. I thought it was a key for (read-only) rsync specifically. (you know, because security and not accidentally clearing the whole world and all that) :P

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:45 pm UTC

Done
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:16 pm UTC

Dragon heads are nifty when elytra-wearers fly or swim with 'em. Here's Flumble:
Spoiler:
Flumble1.png
Flumble2.png
Flumble3.png
Flumble3.png (12.81 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
Also, I trapped a baby zombie (by luring lots of zombies at me and into a line of boats on the ground; the adults all burned to death) and gave it black leather enchanted armor and a dragon head. As it runs around the dragon head opens and closes its mouth! So cuute!
Spoiler:
Zomg1.png
Zomg2.png
Zomg4.png
Zomg5.png
Adults are fine too, I guess. I did this one without enchantments on the leather.
2017-03-31_08.05.13.png
I should put pumpkins on be-armored and beweaponed zombies too, so they can survive indefinitely even if they wander out of Mordor.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:18 pm UTC

Aww, that baby zombie is adorifying. You definitely need some of those running around Mordor. It'd really add to the atmosphere.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 pm UTC

Give a baby zombie a dragon head, and it'll slay one befuzzled player.
Give a baby zombie a dragon head and enchanted diamond equipment and it'll slay players forever.

raudorn: great job expanding the underground in Whittington (and leasing the first space at the ugly city hall). :D

Oh and Feylias, there are stacks of spawn eggs (skeletons and blazes for sure) left in the End because of admin abuse reasons years ago, so you might want to use those for traps too.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:16 am UTC

I do intend to finish the north wing of the town hall and I have some vague ideas for what we can put inside, but I'm also terrible at interior design and kinda want to finish some other projects first. Would be fine and dandy if those other projects were small and simple, but, well...

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:21 am UTC

Gather round kids and let me tell you a story of civilizations, branch mines, betrayal and game theory.

Not long ago, in a country far away - actually it might be near you for all I know - a young gamer - though not so young anymore, which made him somewhat self-conscious - decided to play Minecraft on the CivilizationCraft server. That gamer joined and set out to start his empire in the wide world and compete with his peers to ensure victory in the game of thrones - no, not that one. But founding a civilization is the product of hard work in that particular mod. First our intrepid gamer needed to gather many resources to craft a civ founding flag, as it was known.

He set up camp on top of a mountain near a savanna biome and named in Plainsview because of its nice view of the... plains. Look, he wasn't the most creative namegiver. As he needed, among other things, 4 blocks of diamonds and 27 blocks of gold to craft the flag, he began mining a branch mine stretching in the depths below. After a day's work he logged out and returned the next day. Yet someone else had set their camp near Plainsview as well. They were not online, so our gamer left them a message that they might join forces.

Later that day the mystery neighbor logged in and promptly wrote back, they indeed would band together to conquer the world. After a few exchanges of near-term strategy for resource gathering, they continued work in the mines. Our gamer agreed that the neighbor - let us call him the angel, for he was named after a fallen archangel - would be the founder of the civ, while our gamer would be the viceroy. As it was late in the day for the gamer, but early for the angel, the gamer gave his materials to the angel, so that he might craft the flag and begin the foundations of the civ.

The next day our gamer logged in to find a chest and a message in front of his camp. The chest contained the materials he had given the angel the day before. The message read that the angel had accepted a position as mayor in an existing civ and our gamer was welcome to join as well. The gamer was a bit surprised, but figured that being a mayer, or even a citizen, in a winning civ was still better than being the viceroy or even king of a crumbling kingdom. Since the angel was not online, the gamer continued to mine for more resources while waiting for the return of the angel.

At the closing of the same day, the angel still had not come online, but his contemporaries in the civ were. So the gamer disbanded the camp, put the most valuable resources in the enderchest and set out to trek to the civ with the remaining resources in his backpack. Once he was there, he announced himself to the players present and approached without armor, without weapon and with a friendly greeting. The players he first met did not answer. One of them slashed our gamer with a sword once. The gamer backed off a few steps, but did not retaliate. The other players still were not answering. After a few seconds the players rushed our gamer with drawn swords and began hacking him to pieces. He did not manage to escape and was slain on the spot, spilling the contents of his backpack.

Resurrected at spawn, our gamer was uneasy. Was this a simple misunderstanding? He messaged the victors of that brief battle, asking for an explanation and reassuring, that he was invited to the civ by the angel. Yet, no response came. So it was that our gamer acknowledged that he had been had. While it was possible that the angel had not betrayed him, he could not possibly join a civ that rejected him violently at the doorstep. So he set out to craft another camp and pursue the civ founding flag on his own.

He set up not too far from his first camp and began the hunt for resources anew. There were struggles and the realization that more resources were required than he first thought. Indeed, gathering a flag was usually done by a group, rather than a single person. But our gamer was not deterred. More mining followed, as well as planting seeds for sugar cane - indeed, building a farm with hundreds of reeds - which all took more time. Another day and a half passed.

On the day before the gamer expected to be finished with his flag, there was a big outrage in the global chat of the server. One rogue had stolen money from his civ, left them and went out to start his own rivalling civ. To do that, he was looking to buy a flag from whoever could provide one. Sadly our gamer had his flag not ready yet, so the rogue bought in from someone else for 100k coins. However it set the gamer in the mindset, that it might be most worthwhile to sell his flag and join a friendly civ, living off the money he got for the flag. He already was approached by another player, inviting him to their civ.

Finally, the time came when the gamer could craft the flag. Proud of himself, he announced an auction in the global chat. The starting bid for the flag was to be 90k and interested parties should message him with their starting bid and the highest bid they were willing to go, in case of competing bids. Yet, not a single bid came in. By this time, our gamer had grown very tired and disillusioned of the entire affair. So he decided instead of relying on arbitrary guesses about the market value of a civ flag, he would employ game theory. There were about 150 people online, which represented a good portion of the population, so surely the law of big numbers was on his side.

The gamer announded in the global chat, that he would remove the minimum bid for the auction. This, in his mind, would prove the true value of a civ flag. You see, even when you are already in a civ, there would be some use for a civ flag. You could build a vassal state or deny your enemy territory or you might use it for war purposes or extra processing capabilities or as a spawn point or countless other uses. Therefore everyone would like a civ flag if only they could get it cheap enough. Therefore people would try to evaluate how much they want the flag, assume that their enemies might do the same and try to find a balance by how much they want the flag and by how much they don't want their enemies to get the flag.

To the disbelief of the gamer, the seemingly impossible happened. No one was making a bid. Not the few players without a civ were bidding and no one from the existing civs. It couldn't have been that they thought the auction was a scam, the gamer argued to himself. Even if the players assumed the auction was a scam, it would still make sense to place a bid of a single coin, just in case it wasn't a scam. Yet no one did. This enraged our gamer a bit. Could they not see the marginal value an extra civ flag provided? Were they not creative enough to think of a use? Were they so sure of the falseness of the auction that they would not even bid a lonesome coin?

That was the moment our gamer decided he would leave this uncreative, irrational bunch to themselves and leave the server. To add some extra spite, he would use the flag to create a useless civ somewhere no one would bother to conquer it. So he set out to place it far in the air - not possible - or on the ocean floor - also not possible - and finally decided to just place it an extreme hills biome. He called the civ GryphonEmpire and the capitol Gryphonstone in the vaguest hope someone would recognize the reference and be enraged by it, yet nobody did him this small favor. Our gamer realised it was not even possible to troll properly with this flag.

With the useless civ placed down, he gave his remaining resources away for free - albeit even then nobody wanted the iron, despite it being literally free money - and left the server for good. And that concludes this tale of wasted time.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:01 pm UTC

This is why I play single player. Other people are shit.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:53 pm UTC

Try visiting the xkcd server, we are (allegedly) people and we try to be not shit. :D
It's basically single player anyway, except you have access to a load of stuff built by the ones before you and the End is explored quite a bit.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:24 pm UTC

Yeah, if I were to join a server it'd be a closed server with decent people like the xkcd server surely is :) I'd have liked to have joined it while it was at its peak, now I'd kinda feel like I was committing graffiti on an ancient relic rather than contributing to a community.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:16 pm UTC

That's why we founded a new settlement last year. It's not nearly as big as Spawn or Pandora, but hopefully in time it will be.

When was the last active period actually? I see the first 100 pages of this topic were filled before release (end of 2011) and the next 100 were before 1.5 (start of 2013), implying that it's been a ghost world ever since 2013.
What was it like back in 2012? :o

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:25 pm UTC

Furthermore, while I, and I think most other active xkcraftlings, try to preserve old structures, there's still a lot of empty space to claim and if it's infrastructure related, touching up the "historic" sites is fine too. This isn't a museum, the exhibition pieces are allowed to be touched and modified if it furthers the vaguely defined artistic vision which sprung from the collective minds of the creators behind pretty much any structure.

For example a while ago I placed a lot of torches around Spawn and remodeled some of the landscape near the southern side, simply because I felt like the original creators of that area wanted to do exactly that sooner or later, but never got around to do it. Similarly, there are a lot of unfinished projects dotted around the server. I'm rather sure nobody would find any fault in completing some of them, even if it changed the look and feel of the places. And plonking down a shiny new skyscraper next to the seven year old player house is perfectly fine (in my opinion).

Moonythedwarf

Postby Moonythedwarf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:27 pm UTC

Hey, you all seem to be playing on a server (yay). Could i possibly join? I dont see the IP anywhere. (and classic doesnt exist anymore if i remember right)
Nevermind, found it. Didnt look in the spoiler

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:46 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:Gather round kids and let me tell you a story of civilizations, branch mines, betrayal and game theory.

Well that sucks, but at least you got a good story out of it.

I think it's interesting that people are still doing themed-mod servers at least.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:09 pm UTC

The space between Spawn and Pandora is larger than a lot of other servers out there.

As in - there's a fuckload of space that needs to be filled.

The world is infinite - no reason to keep expanding when the "explored" parts aren't even explored.

Wednesday

Postby Wednesday » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:36 pm UTC

I just learned the stuff I built is still around? Going to hop on after work tonight and check it out. And probably play in VR all weekend. Maybe I'll build a new castle in the void.

Top post is unclear - do you need whitelisting for xkcd.cbouton.com? I want to add my partner so that we can build shit tonight. "mikest"
Sexts From The Void wrote:i struggle to maneuver on a chessboard of dicks

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:37 pm UTC

Yes, this is possibly becoming the oldest minecraft world in continuous use. :mrgreen: (well, perhaps not: while the config file was generated "Mon May 16 20:27:29 EDT 2011", the oldest attested timestamps are dated 2013-06-05 01:05 UTC —likely a server move. But even if the former is true, there are servers like 2b2t, minr and novylen that have been operating since before 2011. Then again, unlike 2b2t, we don't destroy all the old stuff.)

I should probably go back and finish the swimming pool this month. (and then rebuild the hotel because it's just too damn small)

[edit]and yes, there's a whitelist. You best send a PM to _infina_ to get mikest on there.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:36 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I should probably go back and finish the swimming pool this month. (and then rebuild the hotel because it's just too damn small)

I do enjoy the humour in building a swimming pool in a frozen tundra biome. The hotel is awesome as it is, but you have my support (i.e. my stuff) in expanding it.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:52 pm UTC

Sometimes when my (convenient) laptop's running a bit hot and I'm Minecrafting, I am a bit surprised that jumping in water doesn't help it cool off.

I've finished the cobble-laying of my sky! Now I've put up a border of netherrack around the top, have lined it with wood, and am slowly working my way around the top to allow the fire to spread around the edge. I'm putting a rim of floating cobble halfslabs just inside it so that ice doesn't grow from the netherrack in the cold biomes.

I think I'll make regular columns of water extend down at regular intervals so that people can get atop the sky after all. Perhaps every 200 meters, perhaps just one per corner. I'll think on't.

I could just light the entire border manually, but by AFKing and allowing the fire to spread I'm 'automating' (in a slow way, albiet), and I'm also helping Mordor 'age' into a more formidable fighting force. I do wish my monsters to be old.

I've tamped grass around everywhere where water spread. I'm sure that despite this effort, in some spots, grass incursions under Mordor will happen (light glitches and all that) but I'll deal with those later. I'm also a bit bothered by the irregular aesthetic of packed-grass and dirt around the sky. ...but maybe if I extend the packed stuff far enough (I've worn three unbreaking diamond shovels down to nubs packing) it'll feel less artificial.

I'm also, henceforth, confining my wood consumption to lands within a far render distance of the edge of the sky. I like the idea of all trees within a certain distance of Mordor having been consumed.

Once all this is done (not long now, though I do disappear for lengths) it's time for me to decorate Fiddler's Green itself and give it a proper tavern.

Then? Walkabout on the server. And after that? Not sure; maybe I'll settle atop Mordor and spend time wandering and adding more undersky wonders, traps, and doing minor groundskeeping.

...or maybe I'll need to devote some time to handling all the eye-roll-provoking kiddy-annoyance wtf bullshit jump-the-shark achievements in the next edition of Minecraft. :/

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 am UTC

I will be updating to 1.12 in ~24 hours if there is no 1.12.1 announced. It may be slightly longer than 24 hours depending on when I am able to get to my computer and access the server.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Feylias

Local difficulty.

Postby Feylias » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:51 am UTC

I seem to have crashed it.
Spoiler:
Whups. Not sure why; I logged in after stepping away to do science in creative (trying to figure out a good way to drop undead monsters into Mordor without hurting them). When I logged in I started a record playing, grabbed some books, and prepared to leave myself notes on what I need to do next (make darkvision potions and a simple mob trap farm atop the sky so I can buff some undead)

Well, it's down now. Odd; it's survived my AFK-for-hours shenanigans and my chicken farming.

Well, back to original post.

I am not entirely clear on how local difficulty works in Minecraft. Looking at my debug screen, I usually show ~3.75 // ~.75 no matter where I am, and I think the variance in that has more to do with the phase of the moon than where I am. From the wiki, it appears that there are three layers (once you ignore the moon) of difficulty-by-age, with one being 59 minutes or less, the second laye being one hour to 20 hours and 59 minutes, and then max being 21 hours or more.

Assuming that's true (which I don't), I'll assume this means that the chunk must be active (not occupied) for 21 hours to max out. ...so everything in a 4 chunk radius (I believe active is 9x9 chunks) should be aged to perfection.

...but I'm not seeing results. The iron zombies don't seem particularly frequent.

I've decided to stop trying to "age" Mordor (what with not seeing results), and will have to just provide zombies and skeletons with special equipment (and hats to protect them in case they wander out into the sun!) and then set them free. ...or just trust that the world is as dangerous as it's going to be. Maybe if they're wearing diamond equipment with max enchants it'll be an extra incentive to hunt them? >: )

Will have to step away from game for a bit anyway, but look forward to getting back to it, extending a periphery around Mordor of packed grass and no trees, and making Fiddler's Green pretty, natural-looking, be-vegetatived, and be-taverned.

Good times.

raudorn

Re: Local difficulty.

Postby raudorn » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:54 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Will have to step away from game for a bit anyway, but look forward to getting back to it, extending a periphery around Mordor of packed grass and no trees, and making Fiddler's Green pretty, natural-looking, be-vegetatived, and be-taverned.

Do you have specific plans for that yet? I'm almost finished with the landscapy part of the Undergarden (see below) and found that is not as much work as expected. Fiddler's Green does have "a bit" more area to cover, but it's a manageable amount compared to Mordor and the Sky Sea.

If you have plans, a fellow megalomaniac could be convinced to help out with the landscaping and/or bring over materials.

fdsf.jpg

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:09 am UTC

I have a proper monitoring system on the server now. I get emails when it goes down. I am going to start working on a system that will try to restart the system when it goes down soon.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:56 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
GuitarFreak wrote:Anyone ever play it? It's a pretty fun game. http://www.minecraft.net

Make an account and join up on my server: http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?serve ... 456c018e7c Let me know if you can't connect.

Talon-Edit! Active Server List to Follow

Spoiler:
The present XKCD Minecraft server is hosted by _infina_ at xkcd.cbouton.com

miasacraft.cbouton.com - _infinia_'s ftb server. PM him, headprogrammingczar, or get on #MIASACraft channel on irc.esper.net for Whitelist addifying
Uses FTB Private Pack "MIASACraft" - modlist can be found at /r/MIASACraft
Map is at http://map.miasacraft.cbouton.com

This is the first post. I suppose they may not be active anymore, so it's impossible to get it updated. I just wish there was a way to get to the server map without sifting through the thread extensively.

Oh wow, I didn't realize I started this thread (also, my first post in 6 years!)

I suppose I can update it if need be.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:06 pm UTC

Eh, I think it's under control.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:48 pm UTC

I've been sidetracked from Minecraft for a while. I came back to check out the server now at 1.12 and was instantly annoyed at the tutorial box at the upper right. I suppose I could have just done the tasks, but where's the fun in that when I don't know how many there would be to slog through. So since there was not any obvious control to turn them off I searched and found out how. For the benefit of others who might want to to the same it's a simple edit to the options.txt file to change the tutorialStep line to be:

tutorialStep:none

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:13 am UTC

Feylias wrote:I've finished the cobble-laying of my sky!

Belated Congratulations!!!! I know it was a long time consuming project.

I've been fixing more water light glitches near the Barn and also got rid of some more grass. NW of the Green was still lots of flowing water so I turned that off as well. Still have lots of caves to light up and I'll get back at those too when I can.

I look forward to you building the Tavern as well as the Flying Dutchman.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:44 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:I have a proper monitoring system on the server now. I get emails when it goes down. I am going to start working on a system that will try to restart the system when it goes down soon.

It looks like it's down now. I started to connect, but then it timed out and now it's not showing as up in my launcher. Hopefully your email monitoring system alerted you.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 pm UTC

It certainly triggered my email notification system (namely a timeout while polling the online players). Though I don't notice 300 new messages when the email tab is closed. :roll: (superfluous to say, I did notice after reading oscar's message and it's up now)

That's the third time in about a week that the minecraft server timed out, so perhaps it's worth taking a look why it's crashing.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:32 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:That's the third time in about a week that the minecraft server timed out, so perhaps it's worth taking a look why it's crashing.

Add another one to the count. It timed out again while I was trying to logon.

Return to “Gaming”