Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

raudorn

Re: Minecraft

Postby raudorn » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:16 pm UTC

So, there is an update coming in the indeterminate future and alongside all kinds of stuff to make the oceans nicer and easier to explore, it will also bring new water physics. It's not clear yet what exactly will change, but it seems like water will now share the space with certain other blocks and presumably other things will change as well. This will most likely break a lot of mechanisms. I guess once the update drops we'll have to check the farms that are still in use and check if they broke. Some architecture will maybe break as well. I can see The Great Flood of 2018 already coming...
----------------------

I need to confess something: I'm a horse thief. I was ooh-ing and aah-ing at the Flying Dutchman (very impressive) and up top at the Sky Sea settlement I found a skeletal horse outside the pastures, looking lost. So I thought I'd move it back to the pastures but once I was riding it, I felt the need to run away with it, because that's just what you do with horses.
So I (slowly) rode it to the edge of the Sky Sea near the farm at the northern side and with a bit on convincing made the horse jump through the flames and down into the water. I rode along the edges of Mordor, sang a melancholic tune when I found myself in a desert biome and generally made good progress.
I rode along the western side south towards the stretch of the Spawn Kingdom connecting to the Western Hub. I walked this route before and found signs that others have too, so I guess it's a common path. I spent the night in a shelter near the settlement with the underwater area of unclear purpose (see latest Grand Tour update).
On the next day I arrived at the Lava Moat Fortress and from there it was a quick peninsula and island hopping to get to Castle Clavey. The journey onwards was easy then since there big roads to gallop along and I made good progress on the Skyway, through the Western Coves and Carlo's Island on towards Black Forest, where the horse now rests in the stable with a more fleshy companion.

In short, I stole a skeletal horse from someone. If they want it back... well, too late! It's mine now! *evil laughter*

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 am UTC

In a Reddit thread one of the MC devs said they were probably going to introduce a "no water" block which will block water flowing, but let everything else fall through. So for actively maintained MC servers you could replace the signs etc with the new block, if they go ahead with that idea. I dunno, given the age of the XKCD server it might be a good idea to stop updating the MC version at some point?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 am UTC

Mutex wrote:I dunno, given the age of the XKCD server it might be a good idea to stop updating the MC version at some point?
Nah, that ship has sailed long ago: we'll keep updating and shit will keep breaking. :D In any case, most of the stuff that can break is broken already and that's mostly around Spawn ...and Pandora to a lesser extent.

According to the minecraft wiki, the water will be updated to flow through semi-transparent blocks. Let's see what that'll do with signs.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 am UTC

Flumble wrote:According to the minecraft wiki, the water will be updated to flow through semi-transparent blocks. Let's see what that'll do with signs.

As far as I can tell that includes signs, and the discussion with the developer implied that all non-solid blocks would let water through them:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comm ... cs_please/

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:25 am UTC

If that includes fence gates then my villager sorter will be irreparably broken, since it relies on them to selectively pass mobs but not ever pass water. A no-water-block wouldn't work as a replacement unless it had other features.
I could probably find another sorter design that would still work though.

I wonder if this will finally break the surviving free-floating source-block watervators. I kinda wanna watch the one at VULCAN Tower when it goes, though I'll be sad to have lost it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:12 am UTC

raudorn wrote:I need to confess something: I'm a horse thief. I was ooh-ing and aah-ing at the Flying Dutchman (very impressive) and up top at the Sky Sea settlement I found a skeletal horse outside the pastures, looking lost. So I thought I'd move it back to the pastures but once I was riding it, I felt the need to run away with it, because that's just what you do with horses.

In short, I stole a skeletal horse from someone. If they want it back... well, too late! It's mine now! *evil laughter*

Thanks for the Flying Dutchman compliment! Did you try out the cannon broadsides?

Everything on top of Mordor belongs to Ganalef (note: in some chests he's donating some fishing treasures to me to use in my upcoming Mordor Quest feature). The Skeleton Horses spawn during his long AFK fishing sessions. Many of them have been moved down into Mordor and are wandering about.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:13 am UTC

Request to any admin: Someone put a Command Block on the deck of the Flying Dutchman at X=201, Y=73, Z=-2999. It does nothing when powered and should not be there. I can't break it and would like some admin to please remove it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:28 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:Request to any admin: Someone put a Command Block on the deck of the Flying Dutchman at X=201, Y=73, Z=-2999. It does nothing when powered and should not be there. I can't break it and would like some admin to please remove it.

My bad. I'm assuming I did that.

Removed
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:52 pm UTC

It seems the server is restarting/responding badly for the past 10 hours and will continue to do so. Posting here in case _infina_ gets a notification about the topic and can do something about it soon. Otherwise I'll have a look tomorrow.
Solved. The minecraft server was just in agony and needed a reboot.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:33 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:I need to confess something: I'm a horse thief. I was ooh-ing and aah-ing at the Flying Dutchman (very impressive) and up top at the Sky Sea settlement I found a skeletal horse outside the pastures, looking lost. So I thought I'd move it back to the pastures but once I was riding it, I felt the need to run away with it, because that's just what you do with horses.
{...}
Those darn things. If it wasn't in a pen, it's feral. I've been saddling them and dropping them into Mordor so adventurers can have them.

I have some in my pen, though, that I suspect got leveled up to a ridiculous degree by virtue of killing my XP-laden butt while I was AFK. Some of them have more than two rows of hearts!

I'm temporarily sucked into another video game and into some home repair efforts. When I play, I find I'm often sucked into just flying around; elytra + rockets are great. Great great fun, and way way fast. I've got a chest of rockets near my cobble jenny for any visitors to use if they want to fly around.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:09 am UTC

Feylias wrote:I'm temporarily sucked into another video game

I, too, have been sucked into another game recently: The Long Dark.

I will eventually get back to working on the Mordor Quest area project I started. I mostly used up 4 Diamond Picks with Unbreaking III while digging it out, then Mended them all at the Enderman Farm. Don't know if you had a chance to see it roughed out.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
Feylias wrote:I'm temporarily sucked into another video game
I, too, have been sucked into another game recently: The Long Dark.
I was *terrible* at that game, and it was great and I must try again–not sure how far it has advanced. I'm also terrible at Better Than Wolves, but I love it (though I really want food to last longer.)

As for my charged creeper farm, I have learned one thing I haven't yet put into practice; no burnable enclosures. If lightning *does* strike, it is just as likely to strike a fence as any other block and now they're free. Worse, if they are standing next to the fence and actually become charged? They may calmly burn to death as they stand in knee-deep water with their electric aura doing nothing at all.

I watched it happen. Couldn't get to the creeper to extinguish it in time.

I'll have to switch to extra tall metal bars, or something. No! Netherrack fences.

It'll be interesting to see how water interacts with fences in the future.

Edit: Added a damn close paren you think I'd know this by now I've been doing it for decades damn.

Edit 2: I have learned another thing: Never have more than one charged creeper and one victim. Drops never include more than one head anyway, and the more victims you have, the higher the odds that the wrong damn creeper will explode first and kill your charged creeper. Did I say "damn" already? No? I must be pretty mello--oh, there it is. Good. Hope you're all having a better-than-expected new Julian calendar year.
Last edited by Feylias on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:58 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:12 pm UTC

Cobblestone walls should be a fine drop-in replacement. Same height/size, don't burn.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:20 am UTC

Mutex wrote:Cobblestone walls should be a fine drop-in replacement. Same height/size, don't burn.
I'm glad you reminded me; I'm using those now. I think regular nether fences would be better, but I'm low on those after ringing half the green with them.

Nether fence would let me see through it better, and it does a better job of blocking mob vision; when I walk near a stone fence with a creeper on the other side, it starts hissing.

I now have TWO mob heads; a creeper head, and I just got a skeleton head by tricking a lightning-trap-skeleton into putting an arrow into my charged creeper and then fleeing so they'd settle their differences.

I've also wasted two additional charged creepers; the burned-to-death one and the one who died when an adjacent creeper went off.

I read in the wiki that a charged creeper will only create one head. I haven't exhaustively tested this, but small tests suggest it's true. Next test will be whether baby zombies drop zombie heads just like full size ones do. Pretty sure it'll work out.

EDIT: It finally happened! I've been struck by lightning! It happened while I was walking the sky tending my captured creepers. It hurt me two or three times, but I was merely at minus one full heart. Full diamond armor with an elytra. Anticlimax? Yeah, but considering all years of sky work I've done, I always wanted to have it happen.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:11 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:EDIT: It finally happened! I've been struck by lightning! It happened while I was walking the sky tending my captured creepers. It hurt me two or three times, but I was merely at minus one full heart. Full diamond armor with an elytra. Anticlimax? Yeah, but considering all years of sky work I've done, I always wanted to have it happen.

Awesome occurrence! I've had a couple close calls of 10-15 blocks, but to be struck is truly very rare.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:05 am UTC

I am amused.

The new snapshot has a spell (or something like) that allows you to make a mob extremely likely to be struck by any lightning bolts that are currently falling. So, well, another example of a rare thing that players expended extreme effort into acquiring becoming much less rare. I like that.

I'll continue collecting mob heads, an I get free time again. I only need a few more to decorate the tavern on the 'Green.

Return to “Gaming”