Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

oscar_spider

Re: Minecraft

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:38 pm UTC

The server appears to be down. The status page shows Ganalef is on, so I presume it crashed.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:13 am UTC

What's the word on updating the server to 1.11?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 pm UTC

Whittington airport is also done. So could you please add some more teleporters, _infina_? :mrgreen:
check-in.png

Hub-and-spoke is dead, long live direct flights!
While you're at it, perhaps Pandora (central) airport should finally get some outgoing flights, which it doesn't have according to raudorn's map.

oscar_spider wrote:The server appears to be down. The status page shows Ganalef is on, so I presume it crashed.

Perhaps I should add special markers whenever the server isn't responding, instead of not logging anything. On the other hand, you can see the time of the last marker, which was some 14 hours before your post. :)

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:00 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Whittington airport is also done.

Did you see the chest I left you by the Town Hall front door? The End Rods I left would make great Airport lights.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:30 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:The server appears to be down. The status page shows Ganalef is on, so I presume it crashed.
The typical crashes I was causing? I've handled those for a long long time (the next six months or forever, depending.) So so many huge waterflow mountain ranges. Swimming around and updating those and then babysitting them as they subsided?

I enjoy playing in and around the finished bits of Mordor, but the real joy's been the unforseen weirdnesses and tasks concomitant with the journey, not the destination. Fighting a mix of zombies and creepers at the edge of a subsiding water hill as I attempt to clear a path so I can go measure the next peak? Lots of fun. It was a lot more dicey before I had proper water boots and hat, of course. I should make some potions to help, next time.

Some day I'll put together a several-hundred-image album of all the process and fun stuff.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:49 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
Flumble wrote:Whittington airport is also done.

Did you see the chest I left you by the Town Hall front door? The End Rods I left would make great Airport lights.

Yes, thanks, the picture above shows one of them. :D

I was really disgruntled though after finding out you can't use them with pressure plates to make tables. (and placing half-slabs on them is not an option) Just use carpet instead, fool!
Using them as approach lights may be nice too.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:43 pm UTC

Looks like the server just crashed again. I had just logged in. Flumble mentioned some lag, Zephyr was flying and possibly generating terrain. Shortly after that I entered my normal Nether portal but never made it through.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:50 pm UTC

I deny all implications! :roll:
...apart from being online in Whittington so those chunks had to be loaded next to Oscar's and Edgar's. But even if Edgar is/was cruising through ungenerated terrain, this doesn't usually grind the server to a halt, just to an unbearably slow pace. (which it did shortly before giving up)

Anyway, since it's down now: _infina_, can you update the server to 1.11 before restarting it? :D

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:55 pm UTC

I actually had landed just before the server crashed, as the lag had caused my bow-propulsion to stop working.

I don't think it was my fault, but since Gana wasn't on and Flumble has already denied all responsibility, I guess I will accept the blame.

Flumble wrote:Anyway, since it's down now: _infina_, can you update the server to 1.11 before restarting it? :D

That was my real plan all along Muhuhaha :twisted:
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:57 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:While you're at it, perhaps Pandora (central) airport should finally get some outgoing flights, which it doesn't have according to raudorn's map.

Technically, it has two. One to Rifton and one to the USS Nimitz. However the buttons are not located at the airport itself, but in the building at Plains City Center, that connects to the airport terminal via rail. Because, when I want to take a flight, I clearly look for the connections at a railstation a couple of chunks over.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:05 pm UTC

Here's a picture of a boat while we wait:
boat.png

Regular minecraft looks really dull after you've played a bunch with optifine and friends. It's mostly the shadows, texture manipulation (randomly rotating textures to mask repetition, removing glass seams) and dynamic lights (flaming arrows, dropped torches, torches in your hand) that improve the game.

Though no matter how good my computer is at rendering, it still has a lot of trouble simulating a tower of 4000 blocks of TNT exploding.

raudorn wrote:
Flumble wrote:While you're at it, perhaps Pandora (central) airport should finally get some outgoing flights, which it doesn't have according to raudorn's map.

Technically, it has two. One to Rifton and one to the USS Nimitz. However the buttons are not located at the airport itself, but in the building at Plains City Center, that connects to the airport terminal via rail. Because, when I want to take a flight, I clearly look for the connections at a railstation a couple of chunks over.

In that case I advise _infina_ to move the teleporters to the more better place. :)

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:59 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Here's a picture of a boat while we wait:

The shadows are a bit stark/harsh, but I love the water.

That reminds me, I want to add a block under the inbound teleport location to avoid the temporary glitching into the water below the dock.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:44 pm UTC

hi everyone!

hope you all are having a wonderful Thanks Giving, it's been a while since I've been on the server. tried logging in but it seems there's a new sever address. can someone pm to me. thanks!

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:08 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:hi everyone!

hope you all are having a wonderful Thanks Giving, it's been a while since I've been on the server. tried logging in but it seems there's a new sever address. can someone pm to me. thanks!

The address is in the spoiler in the first message of this thread. Server is currently down, waiting for _infina_ to bring it up.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:09 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Regular minecraft looks really dull after you've played a bunch with optifine and friends. It's mostly the shadows, texture manipulation (randomly rotating textures to mask repetition, removing glass seams) and dynamic lights (flaming arrows, dropped torches, torches in your hand) that improve the game.

Which shader are you using? I tried the Kuda shader, which worked great except when I was in the workshop of my castle where it dropped to 20fps. Since I spend a lot of time there, wasn't really a viable option. Now I just use Optifine.

ETA: The thing I most liked about Kuda is how the water looks. Standard minecraft relentlessly blue and opaque water looks terrible by comparison.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:48 pm UTC

I'm using Sildur's shaderpack. I actually didn't know there are others and that they are basically the same in visuals and probably in performance too.

Are there any additions for optifine that have additional render targets beside the shadow volume (so you can have actual reflections instead of some post-processing garbage)?

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:16 am UTC

Short trivia:

1) Although I'm buying cobble, still, with one diamond buying six stacks, I doubt anyone would make the trip for that kind of profit. It's just too far. When I'm done with this project I'll have to design a "Flying Dutchman" ghost ship near the... northwest(?) of the sky or so and link it to the nautical travel system.

2) I will happily buy enchanted diamond picks for three diamonds. Enchanted picks are renewable, and diamonds aren't, so I feel a bit bad about using diamonds to make picks.

3) I have a villager who sells diamond pants. If you wanted lots of diamond pants but wanted to conserve diamonds, that might be another reason to visit. You compulsive diamond-hoarders, you.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:10 am UTC

Oh, right, that was one other very good reason to update to 1.11: mobile chests.

Feylias wrote:2) I will happily buy enchanted diamond picks for three diamonds. Enchanted picks are renewable, and diamonds aren't, so I feel a bit bad about using diamonds to make picks.

Efficiency 5 and unbreaking 3 and no silk touch, I assume?

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:33 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Oh, right, that was one other very good reason to update to 1.11: mobile chests.

Feylias wrote:2) I will happily buy enchanted diamond picks for three diamonds. Enchanted picks are renewable, and diamonds aren't, so I feel a bit bad about using diamonds to make picks.
Honestly, I don't care. A level one enchantment is just fine. I'll take ANY nigh-undepleted enchanted pick and you can have three diamonds for it. I'm not trying to profit. : ) I'd accept unenchanted diamond picks too. I just don't want someone making my own diamonds into picks because that would be sadly inefficient as a way of using up finite resources.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:11 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:1) Although I'm buying cobble, still, with one diamond buying six stacks, I doubt anyone would make the trip for that kind of profit. It's just too far. When I'm done with this project I'll have to design a "Flying Dutchman" ghost ship near the... northwest(?) of the sky or so and link it to the nautical travel system.

The trip from the Nether portal to the ladder up to the Sky Sea is a bit dangerous, but travel to Spawn via the Nether Rail is reasonably fast (to transport 30 stacks of cobble e.g.). Cobble is basically a free resource (for amounts below ~3k) and any large-ish construction will have chests full of the stuff. But the Flying Dutchman idea sounds awesome too.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:43 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
Flumble wrote:
Honestly, I don't care. A level one enchantment is just fine. I'll take ANY nigh-undepleted enchanted pick and you can have three diamonds for it. I'm not trying to profit. : ) I'd accept unenchanted diamond picks too. I just don't want someone making my own diamonds into picks because that would be sadly inefficient as a way of using up finite resources.

Like you, I hate the idea of using diamonds for things that villagers sell. So, more diamonds just get added to the pile. Perhaps what you *really* need is a Diamond Pick with Unbreaking III and Mending that can essentially last forever (barring accidents with lava). I would gladly provide you with a fully tricked out Pick. (Edit: Pick is ready: Efficiency V, Fortune III, Unbreaking III, Mending)

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:I would gladly provide you with a fully tricked out Pick. (Edit: Pick is ready: Efficiency V, Fortune III, Unbreaking III, Mending)
That is extremely generous and thoughtful of you and though not needed I certainly wouldn't object to such a present. : ) I wouldn't use such a pick at the cobble jenny, though; it'd be a dangerous risk that I might get distracted and use it up (since you keep having to feed picks the lifeblood of dead things, whether undead, just-murdered-by-you, roasted in a furnace, or long since converted into carbon deposits and harvested by you in your capacity as a grave robber.) (I like how creepy I can make 'mending' seem. It falls apart when you're simply smelting metals, though.)

I had a stash of weak enchanted picks I made years ago and used those up just last night. I'll go work on my villager farm and see if I can't get a pick-dispensing dude properly situated.

I confess I haven't used enchantment tables for anything but books since lapis became required and I don't yet grok how it works. I'll get to it, but using books seems much more dependable and you can get them from villagers.

I've been saving my depleted magic armor from murdered mobs for your scarecrows/terra-cotta warriors. Only have a few so far, but they're in a chest near the sky edge.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:13 am UTC

Feylias wrote: I wouldn't use such a pick at the cobble jenny, though; it'd be a dangerous risk that I might get distracted and use it up (since you keep having to feed picks the lifeblood of dead things, whether undead, just-murdered-by-you, roasted in a furnace, or long since converted into carbon deposits and harvested by you in your capacity as a grave robber.) (I like how creepy I can make 'mending' seem. It falls apart when you're simply smelting metals, though.)

I had a stash of weak enchanted picks I made years ago and used those up just last night. I'll go work on my villager farm and see if I can't get a pick-dispensing dude properly situated.

I confess I haven't used enchantment tables for anything but books since lapis became required and I don't yet grok how it works. I'll get to it, but using books seems much more dependable and you can get them from villagers.

I've been saving my depleted magic armor from murdered mobs for your scarecrows/terra-cotta warriors. Only have a few so far, but they're in a chest near the sky edge.

I suppose being absent minded at your cobble generator is equally effective as lava. :)

Enchantment tables have their place, but nothing beats a well rounded batch of villagers to trade with!! I do have a chest full of tools labeled "scratch and dents for repairing", but they are on their last legs and not very useful now that we have Mending.

I have plenty of armor from mobs. I'm not sure why it's so fun to collect -- maybe it's just a side effect of Mending my items.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:40 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Honestly, I don't care. A level one enchantment is just fine. I'll take ANY nigh-undepleted enchanted pick and you can have three diamonds for it. I'm not trying to profit. : )

With a good villager trading jail facility, the most expensive part of Unbreaking 3, Efficiency 5 diamond picks is the leather. :mrgreen:
And Mending might work too, as long as you have some 20 of those picks so you can repair them in a large batch (and you won't feel sorry for losing one).

I've heard that Enderman farms are great for repairing all your mending items (or getting loads of XP), so, err, how's the Enderman farm on this server doing? (If I remember correctly, the one time I turned it on, it just had loads of Endermen falling to their death)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:55 am UTC

Librarians sell book cases, which can be broken for 3 books each, so no need for leather.

With a good source of trade-fodder (like, say, a villager powered auto-crop farm) enchanted picks are essentially free.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:I would gladly provide you with a fully tricked out Pick. (Edit: Pick is ready: Efficiency V, Fortune III, Unbreaking III, Mending)

I delivered the pick. You don't want to know how much it cost me to do so due to unlucky circumstances while playing on Fiddlers Green afterwards near your glass encased spawner. :oops:

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:05 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:I've heard that Enderman farms are great for repairing all your mending items (or getting loads of XP), so, err, how's the Enderman farm on this server doing? (If I remember correctly, the one time I turned it on, it just had loads of Endermen falling to their death)

Alternatively, Blaze farms are good for getting lots of XP, are simpler to make (you'll need lots of fire resistance potions for the first bit), and you get tons of blaze rods which are essential for potion brewing AND are a fantastic fuel for your stoves.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:03 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:

I delivered the pick. You don't want to know how much it cost me to do so due to unlucky circumstances while playing on Fiddlers Green afterwards near your glass encased spawner. :oops:
Ach. >_< Darn.

I keep thinking I should just wall that over; I don't really need any of the projects I could make it into. ...but it might be fun, so it's kind of in half-useful mode.

Well I've got a nice cheap source of enchanted diamond picks now, but I'm still happy to divest myself of my dosh for picks to acquire more if anyone is looking to boost their stockpile. My only real need for diamonds is replacement armor boots and hats, and the odd toy (jukeboxes and enchanting tables.) Also, happy holidays folks.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:22 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:

Ach. >_< Darn.

I keep thinking I should just wall that over; I don't really need any of the projects I could make it into. ...but it might be fun, so it's kind of in half-useful mode.

I was leaning over the trench next to it to kill mobs with my bow when a skeleton hit me and knocked me into the trench - then the zombies knocked me over the edge into the pit by the spawner and the fall damage finished me off. I ran back but my stuff had despawned. :(

Feylias wrote:Well I've got a nice cheap source of enchanted diamond picks now, but I'm still happy to divest myself of my dosh for picks to acquire more if anyone is looking to boost their stockpile. My only real need for diamonds is replacement armor boots and hats, and the odd toy (jukeboxes and enchanting tables.) Also, happy holidays folks.

There are old villagers around that sell all the diamond gear, so stock up from them on the hats, boots, and such.

Regarding Mordor and Fiddlers Green: There is an undesirable side effect of the server command block that kills creepers - zombies pick up the gun powder and thus will never despawn. Overtime this will crowd out other mobs that do despawn. At Fiddlers Green you also need to wall off the caves that lead from Mordor to under Fiddlers Green as many Gunpowder toting zombies are infesting those caves even though they are lit up because they path in from Mordor trying to get closer. I killed a bunch that I could see in the caves that open into the glass spawner area and some down the ladder at the water drop. They are legion in those caves and will detract from the mob count out in Mordor.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:00 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:Regarding Mordor and Fiddlers Green: There is an undesirable side effect of the server command block that kills creepers - zombies pick up the gun powder and thus will never despawn. Overtime this will crowd out other mobs that do despawn. At Fiddlers Green you also need to wall off the caves that lead from Mordor to under Fiddlers Green as many Gunpowder toting zombies are infesting those caves even though they are lit up because they path in from Mordor trying to get closer. I killed a bunch that I could see in the caves that open into the glass spawner area and some down the ladder at the water drop. They are legion in those caves and will detract from the mob count out in Mordor.
Is THAT what's going on!? Kudos for figuring it out, even.

That's kind of cool, oddly, but I guess I'll need to fill the caves deep beneath Mordor and the Green with iron golems, water, and/or light. Hekuva project that. Hmm.

Gunpowder Toting Zombies sounds like a pretty good band name.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:05 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:There are old villagers around that sell all the diamond gear, so stock up from them on the hats, boots, and such.

I will pay an unreasonable bounty to anyone who safely and successfully transports any villager that sells Diamond Helmets, Boots, Pants and/or Shovels, without garbage enchantments, to any of my bases (Mysterious Isle, Clock Town, The Arcology). Seriously, name your price.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:26 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I will pay an unreasonable bounty to anyone who safely and successfully transports any villager that sells Diamond Helmets, Boots, Pants and/or Shovels, without garbage enchantments, to any of my bases (Mysterious Isle, Clock Town, The Arcology). Seriously, name your price.

The NPC Village in Eastern Pandora has some Villagers that sell unenchanted diamond picks for 10 emeralds each. There's a fairly convoluted rail connection between Eastern Pandora and Mysterious Isle, sadly broken between South Pandora XP Farm and Mysterious Isle. However the NPC Village isn't far from Plains City Central, so it's probably better to just make a temporary rail from the village to PCC and use the rail to Mysterious Isle. As the Royal Mapmaker, I approve this temporary connection without a previously submitted and approved permit. How generous I am!

Edit: I just now realised the post said shovels, not picks. However I think I saw a helmet selling Villager as well.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:27 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:There are old villagers around that sell all the diamond gear, so stock up from them on the hats, boots, and such.

I will pay an unreasonable bounty to anyone who safely and successfully transports any villager that sells Diamond Helmets, Boots, Pants and/or Shovels, without garbage enchantments, to any of my bases (Mysterious Isle, Clock Town, The Arcology). Seriously, name your price.

It's not technically challenging to transport them, but it will take time - I have an easy path over all water. Price: something rare and/or hard to get - such as sponges or mob heads would be good.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:29 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:

It's not technically challenging to transport them, but it will take time - I have an easy path over all water to Clock Town (by your Moon). Price: something rare and/or hard to get - such as sponges or mob heads would be good.

(You do realize how easy it would be just to bring you a pile of the items?)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:23 am UTC

How many sponges ya want?

EDIT: upon investigation of the Eastern Pandora Village, I found redundant villagers selling Diamond Shovels, Boots and Helmets, so it looks like I only need a villager selling Pants.
Also, the rail line from the train station to Mysterious Isle runs directly under that village, so transportation should be easy.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:13 pm UTC

I decided that, since this town has been christened Weißburg, it should include an actual Weiße Burg. On a side note, the next time I decide to make a big project from snow and ice blocks, would someone please stop me?! Damn thing's not even finished yet.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:17 pm UTC

Hah, no, I will encourage you! :twisted:

Keep up the good work, raudorn! :D

[edit]But please tell me you've used smart ways to collect all that snow (with a snow golem or the stacks in my home) and ice (with this and a silk touch tool).

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:07 pm UTC

Yeah, getting the ice and snow balls is easy enough. It's crafting the snow blocks (repetetive motion) that's annoying and ice structures are hard to mob-proof without sacrificing asthetics along the way.

timrem

Postby timrem » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:20 pm UTC

The OP lists some server details, but mentions a modpack (for 1.6.4, were I to guess from the mod list). It seems recent discussions are about a Vanilla 1.11 server, yes? Should this first post's details be updated?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:58 pm UTC

The spoilered edit mentions two servers, one vanilla (1.10 currently) and one FTB.

What it doesn't mention is that you also need to be whitelisted for the vanilla server (for example by sending a PM to _infina_).

Return to “Gaming”