Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

_infina_

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:
_infina_ wrote:I am working on a barn on the science server that I will build next to the bank on ST's server. It is going to hold pigs and mooshrooms. Someone else can build a chicken coop, if they think it is necessary.

EDIT: I would like to organize a trip from Pandora to the Antarctic Reaches. This will be a several hour journey, as I plan to build a pathway to it large enough to accommodate a future rail line to speed travel to it up.

When is said expedition happening? I might go to check out the lands, and maybe set up a base there.

Monday, Noonish EST (GMT -5)
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:25 am UTC

I have now disabled the plains city spider farm. I'm going to try to work on it more over the next few days, so it should be finished by the end of the weekend hopefully.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:22 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:I have now disabled the plains city spider farm. I'm going to try to work on it more over the next few days, so it should be finished by the end of the weekend hopefully.

Sweet! I'll stay out of your way, other than setting up a small potion lab, and maybe installing a lighting system to shut down the spawners at the flip of a lever.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:30 am UTC

A retractable lighting system would not be a bad thing. As anyone who was on tonight can testify, there was much death involved in disabling them.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:05 am UTC

is there a way to see your XYZ right after you die?

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:11 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:is there a way to see your XYZ right after you die?

No, darnit!

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:A retractable lighting system would not be a bad thing. As anyone who was on tonight can testify, there was much death involved in disabling them.

I can testify. My chat was spammed with spider deaths.

Also, 1.2 has on-off lights, so no need to have huge systems for lighting soon.
a.k.a. Cazador

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:A retractable lighting system would not be a bad thing. As anyone who was on tonight can testify, there was much death involved in disabling them.

Heh, I remember that. Good times!
Meem, did you ever check out my version of the spider trap, down in my hidden base/mine?

Edit: where that refers to the first time we were all messing with the spider spawners under the swamp...
Last edited by Kain on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:02 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 am UTC

The barn is going up. I need a whole lot more red wool, and quite a bit more of white wool. The sides are mirror images of the two finished sides so far, if anyone wants to assist. I also have saplings and bonemeal in the chest in front of the build site that is to make the plans for the flooring and roof. I don't have the internals all planned out yet, but it will house mooshrooms on the first floor and pigs on the second.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:19 am UTC

Several things:

Kain, no I haven't looked at your spider trap. Where exactly is it? IF you give coords I could probably figure out how to get down there.

infina, I pmed you about the science server a while ago, did you get my message or did it vanish somewhere?

Everyone, any interest in forming a team for the reddit minecraft tournament? The first one was a while back and someone posted about it. More info at http://www.reddit.com/r/mctourney/comme ... tion_open/.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:infina, I pmed you about the science server a while ago, did you get my message or did it vanish somewhere?
You were added to the whitelist.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Several things:

Kain, no I haven't looked at your spider trap. Where exactly is it? IF you give coords I could probably figure out how to get down there.

infina, I pmed you about the science server a while ago, did you get my message or did it vanish somewhere?

Everyone, any interest in forming a team for the reddit minecraft tournament? The first one was a while back and someone posted about it. More info at http://www.reddit.com/r/mctourney/comme ... tion_open/.

Coords wouldn't really help, its under a particularly deep section of ocean. You know that island to the south of pandora, where I set up that unfinished base with the bridges? Go to the southwest side of it, near the furnace room, and look underwater. You should see light coming out of a 1 wide by 2 high entryway. That leads to a room with two shafts, one with a pool at the bottom, and the other filled with ladders. If you go down the ladders, you will see an exit halfway down. Take it, and go right (you will be in a lit ravine+mineshaft thing, there may be a random mob or two nearby). The spawner trap should be obvious.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:00 pm UTC

Well, finally got back on the server--all my animals are dead so I trapped a yellow sheep. :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

But I like what you've done with the Tennessee Williams Memorial Trolley Station. It's nice to feel like I actually did something useful for the server in building the beginnings of the Nether Trolley.

On that note, at some point I was stuck cause I hit a minecart under the glass. Couldn't get out of the cart, so I logged off and on and instead of putting me aside the thing it put me on the roof of the tunnel.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:On that note, at some point I was stuck cause I hit a minecart under the glass. Couldn't get out of the cart, so I logged off and on and instead of putting me aside the thing it put me on the roof of the tunnel.

This happened to me too, but I hit a pigmen on one of the sloped parts.

Which is making me doubt the whole glass concept. It works on long flat stretches, but otherwise it's annoying, partly because you can't get out of a cart while in glass. Now I'm tempted to use Steax's snow golem idea from a few pages ago, but that'll be tough to implement in some places.

On the other hand, we could see if this mod works, which limits pigmen spawning to netherrack.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

Yeah, I think just a one wide path works pretty well. I don't think I've ever hit a pigman on my bottom of the nether route out to Narnia south.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Meem1029 wrote:infina, I pmed you about the science server a while ago, did you get my message or did it vanish somewhere?

Awesome! Is the server down currently or do I have the wrong ip? (I'm using minecraft.cbouton.com which I say somewhere earlier.)

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:
_infina_ wrote:

Awesome! Is the server down currently or do I have the wrong ip? (I'm using minecraft.cbouton.com which I say somewhere earlier.)

The server is completely down. I have contacted the owner of the box, and I am currently waiting for a reply.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:31 am UTC

I am going to need to delay the trip until about 5 EST tomorrow.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:33 pm UTC

Two things:

In the plains city, (is that Plains City?) does anyone have any plans for the redstone circuits behind the melon farm, and if not, is it ok if it's dismantled? Looking for a good place to put a spleef arena.

Also, I made the first move on the chessboard if anyone wants to play.
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

wam

Postby wam » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

Hey, I was wandering around under the Theorder rossevelt library and met a creeper which blew up and damaged the railway, I didnt have anything to fix it with.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:33 pm UTC

RoberII wrote:Two things:

In the plains city, (is that Plains City?) does anyone have any plans for the redstone circuits behind the melon farm, and if not, is it ok if it's dismantled? Looking for a good place to put a spleef arena.

Also, I made the first move on the chessboard if anyone wants to play.

I would assume that's the future wheat farm, and a spleef arena would need more space, no?

wam wrote:Hey, I was wandering around under the Theorder rossevelt library and met a creeper which blew up and damaged the railway, I didnt have anything to fix it with.

Should be fine - just leave some signs to indicate the area and I'll try to fix it soon.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

Also, I think that's the least used part of the railway anyways.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:52 am UTC

Things of importance:
1) I took down the glass over the nether rail, since it wasn't working that well anyway.
2) I got about ten sheep for Narnia's farm, if Jaho wants to get that working.
3) If no one has any objections, I'm going to connect the rails near spawn a little better.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:24 am UTC

Due to a delay in timing by my mother's whims, I will be starting out as soon as I log on.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 am UTC

The spawner lighting system is now fully operational.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 pm UTC

Holy cow, that's awesome. I'm really glad you're the one who did that as I would undoubtedly have completely overengineered it somehow. Also, the spawner is not quite finished as I derped on making part of it, but it should be fixed soonish.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:08 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Holy cow, that's awesome. I'm really glad you're the one who did that as I would undoubtedly have completely overengineered it somehow. Also, the spawner is not quite finished as I derped on making part of it, but it should be fixed soonish.

Oh, that reminds me, I was going to add a system to flood the spawn rooms with lava, flaming arrows, snowmen, gravel, and TNT. BRB!

I'm also making a spiral stairway for easy access, it comes up between the Behemoth Melon Machine and the Pandora Transportation Authority building.

Manial

Postby Manial » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

RoberII wrote:In the plains city, (is that Plains City?) does anyone have any plans for the redstone circuits behind the melon farm, and if not, is it ok if it's dismantled? Looking for a good place to put a spleef arena.
Oh the redstone circuits there are just temporary, I'm experimenting to try and find a design to fully automate the farm, so the area behind is free. However I may need to extend the building up to 10-15 metres depending on the circuitry involved.

That being said, I'm having a lot of difficulty coming up with a way to fully automate the farm. My goal for the farm is to have 9-10 floors feeding into the sewer system, with either:
A: a floor firing every 2 minutes (i.e. floor 1 fires, then floor 2 fires 2 minutes later, etc., so each floor only fires once every 18-20 mins), or
B: the entire tower firing every two minutes.

These should, theoretically at least, provide the same number of melons and pumpkins per harvest. However, B might cause a lot of lag (just the current system of firing 3 floors at once makes me lag a bit), so I've been focusing on A for the time being, trying to find a system compact enough to fit between floors (to save having to build an extension just for the wiring).

The best system I found so far was one from the wiki article, which I've currently got operating behind the farm. The only problem is that it fires 5 times, (then delays for about 4 and a half minutes) and doesn't seem to handle reloading the world well. Can anyone suggest any improvements, or other designs that could work for a 1.5-2 min delay?

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:53 pm UTC

The T flip-flops that JestingRabbit found would work work quite nicely. Repeater clocks often lock up when the chunk unloads/reloads, you'll have to restart it quite a bit. EDIT: I fail at reading thouroughly you did mention it having lockup issues.

Spoiler:
Here's an overview of a ~22 second clock using a minecart clock for the "ticks". Rirez/Steax ran a minecart clock as a test for a couple of months and I don't ever recall seeing it stopped or hearing that he had to restart it.

Every flip flop you add doubles the period so six would give a period of about 1.5 minutes.

The thingy on the end is an edge detector so you get a short pulse every cycle rather than a long signal which would keep the pistons extended thereby preventing melon growth. If you use a rising edge detector to generate a signal for one set of floors, and a falling edge detector for the other set of floors along with the 1.5 minute clock you'll add melons to the canal system every 45 seconds or so. I'm pretty sure that a piston extending and retracting over dirt shouldn't reset a melon's growth timer, but that's something to test.

EDIT: Test Successfull!!! Pistons extending do not reset the melon growth timer, so triggering the whole thing every couple of minutes should work nicely. I suspect most of the lag is due to minecraft having to track a bogozillion melon slices, triggering a few dozen pistons shouldn't break anything but melons.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:14 pm UTC

Hey i was in the nether and the portal for pandora went out as i went through it. I can't relight it as i don't have fire privelages. Also I dont seem to have set my spawn to my bed, it says bed missing or blocked when its fine. So I end up in Spawn everytime I die which is annoying.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

Do you have plenty of open space near your bed? Make sure they're solid blocks and not transparent too (glass, glowstone, and several others are transparent though appearing solid). Check for torches blocking all the squares next to it too.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 am UTC

wam wrote:Hey i was in the nether and the portal for pandora went out as i went through it. I can't relight it as i don't have fire privelages. Also I dont seem to have set my spawn to my bed, it says bed missing or blocked when its fine. So I end up in Spawn everytime I die which is annoying.

Uh oh. Where's your home?

blalobw wrote:Here's an overview of a ~22 second clock using a minecart clock for the "ticks". Rirez/Steax ran a minecart clock as a test for a couple of months and I don't ever recall seeing it stopped or hearing that he had to restart it.

The issue is that I've noticed one fail. But it took bloody forever, and is just a single point of failure, but... still. It didn't fail in terms of the cart stopping, but the detector rail moved to an always-on state.

It's actually easy to reset jammed repeaters; run a redstone pulse next to it. If you check out the clock near your mob spawner on the science server (if it's working now), you'll see it.

Also, how's the plan for the mob spawner?

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:46 am UTC

Steax wrote:
blalobw wrote:Here's an overview of a ~22 second clock using a minecart clock for the "ticks". Rirez/Steax ran a minecart clock as a test for a couple of months and I don't ever recall seeing it stopped or hearing that he had to restart it.

The issue is that I've noticed one fail. But it took bloody forever, and is just a single point of failure, but... still. It didn't fail in terms of the cart stopping, but the detector rail moved to an always-on state.

It's actually easy to reset jammed repeaters; run a redstone pulse next to it. If you check out the clock near your mob spawner on the science server (if it's working now), you'll see it.

Yes, but where do you get the reset pulse? Is it manual, or automatically supplied?

I guess what we need is a missing pulse detector that is immune to reloads which will toggle its output when the repeater clock fails. This shouldn't be too terribly hard.

Steax wrote:Also, how's the plan for the mob spawner?

The plan is identical to the one on the science world. (Which is a shameless ripoff of EthosLab's Mob Spawner and Mobivator) I was under the (aparently false) impression that you were going to pick a spot and start on it. Go ahead and do that if you want. I'm going to be busy redesigning my mob sorter as the laptop I was using to host my home science world was stolen.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:58 am UTC

Out of boredom I've been improving the rails near spawn. Here's a rough map of what it looks like currently; all I have left to do is connect the frontier rail to the comic, and connect spawn to the spawn station.
Attachments
xkcdMinecraftMap.png

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:42 am UTC

blalobw wrote:
Steax wrote:

Yes, but where do you get the reset pulse? Is it manual, or automatically supplied?

I guess what we need is a missing pulse detector that is immune to reloads which will toggle its output when the repeater clock fails. This shouldn't be too terribly hard.

Steax wrote:Also, how's the plan for the mob spawner?

The plan is identical to the one on the science world. (Which is a shameless ripoff of EthosLab's Mob Spawner and Mobivator) I was under the (aparently false) impression that you were going to pick a spot and start on it. Go ahead and do that if you want. I'm going to be busy redesigning my mob sorter as the laptop I was using to host my home science world was stolen.

Likely manually supplied. Probably.

I haven't started because I don't know what the core structure consists of, and the science server isn't available for me to peek on it yet. I assumed you want to use the large pit in your place for that?

Current priorities to pandora city:
- Mob spawner
- Sugar farm (idk, pick a spot near the melon farm)
- Rail system (possibly use the old sewers?)

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:56 am UTC

Ok, I'll see what I can do about making an ultimate unbreakable clock generator.

The huge pit is obsolete, it's pretty much just marking where the mobivator tube will come up. Once I get the mob sorter running the pit will probably house a record factory.

The basic structure of the mob spawner is 7*7 spawn pads arrainged in a 5*5 grid, with two meter wide and two meter deep channels between each pad and around the outer edges.

I'll handle the lift tube and waterflows if you diggy diggy the holes.

Have I missed anything else?

Manial

Postby Manial » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:57 am UTC

blalobw wrote:The T flip-flops that JestingRabbit found would work work quite nicely. Repeater clocks often lock up when the chunk unloads/reloads, you'll have to restart it quite a bit. EDIT: I fail at reading thouroughly you did mention it having lockup issues.

Spoiler:
Here's an overview of a ~22 second clock using a minecart clock for the "ticks". Rirez/Steax ran a minecart clock as a test for a couple of months and I don't ever recall seeing it stopped or hearing that he had to restart it.

Every flip flop you add doubles the period so six would give a period of about 1.5 minutes.

The thingy on the end is an edge detector so you get a short pulse every cycle rather than a long signal which would keep the pistons extended thereby preventing melon growth. If you use a rising edge detector to generate a signal for one set of floors, and a falling edge detector for the other set of floors along with the 1.5 minute clock you'll add melons to the canal system every 45 seconds or so. I'm pretty sure that a piston extending and retracting over dirt shouldn't reset a melon's growth timer, but that's something to test.

EDIT: Test Successfull!!! Pistons extending do not reset the melon growth timer, so triggering the whole thing every couple of minutes should work nicely. I suspect most of the lag is due to minecraft having to track a bogozillion melon slices, triggering a few dozen pistons shouldn't break anything but melons.
Thanks bla, I think I'll use that design to convert the 1-minute-interval pulses (from Steax-Rirez's new central power station) into a pulse every 2 minutes and send that to the whole tower.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:11 am UTC

Steax wrote:
wam wrote:Hey i was in the nether and the portal for pandora went out as i went through it. I can't relight it as i don't have fire privelages. Also I dont seem to have set my spawn to my bed, it says bed missing or blocked when its fine. So I end up in Spawn everytime I die which is annoying.

Uh oh. Where's your home?

West (i think) of pandora. around -7990 z 15686 y, so yeah its annoying. and if i dont go in a straight line or find food i starve before i make it.

So one of these days i need to go back to spawn with a load of bread and some mine carts.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:36 am UTC

blalobw wrote:Ok, I'll see what I can do about making an ultimate unbreakable clock generator.

The huge pit is obsolete, it's pretty much just marking where the mobivator tube will come up. Once I get the mob sorter running the pit will probably house a record factory.

The basic structure of the mob spawner is 7*7 spawn pads arrainged in a 5*5 grid, with two meter wide and two meter deep channels between each pad and around the outer edges.

I'll handle the lift tube and waterflows if you diggy diggy the holes.

Have I missed anything else?

We'll need a lot of manpower for the holes, but this is a big project with big benefits so I'm sure everyone will come and give a hand. Just give us a pilot hole with access to each floor, and we'll be on it. Maybe a few people online can finish a single floor first as an example?

Also, we have a central redstone pulsing generation center, right across the melon farm. It's pretty much right in the middle of everything else. Additionally, is there a good way to bring the goodies up from the sewers?

Edit:

Okay, I'm stupid. I didn't properly figure out what blal was posting earlier. In case anyone else suffers from my extreme case of stupidity, here's an annotated version of blal's post:

clock.jpg

Note that it's only for explanatory purposes. An actual construction wouldn't need a bunch of them side by side like that, as you can simply tap into the wire connecting between flipflops and extract your pulse from there.

I think we should change the current clock to this model. Any other city systems that might need clocks could simply tap into their selected duration... or the main clock only does, say, 1s ticks, and each system just needs 'transformers' to extend the pulses to whatever rate they need it at. This is good because it keeps a good quality, lengthy signal that's consistent, instead of a pulse. Systems that need buttons can just use pulse generators.

Also, while watching the system go, it felt both mesmerizing, weird and familiar at once, and it dawned on me...

2012-02-22_19.28.36.jpg

It was counting up to 255 in binary.

/facepalm

Of course it is.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

For list of priorities, I would like to add fix the spider xp farm so that it doesn't really really suck. This will be done by me over the next few days (although I'm going home this weekend so it may be more like a week).

Also, with the mob farm, is your design compatible with the new mob AI that will be present in 1.2? Iirc, they will no longer try to walk on signs above water.

Return to “Gaming”