Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby blalobw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

The channels are two meters deep, with no signs, and flowing water in the bottom. As long as mobs will wander into this streams we're good.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

well, I just lost about 26 iron ore from a flying zombie. And I was doing so well clearing out that ravine.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:05 pm UTC

I've been ambushed by paracreepers. I swear the ops installed a mod.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

In other news:
Spoiler:

I was ambushed by a creeper outside the melon farm, there's some structural damage and some underground redstone damage as well.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 am UTC

blalobw wrote:The channels are two meters deep, with no signs, and flowing water in the bottom. As long as mobs will wander into this streams we're good.

Hmm, do they fall into the streams on their own? I think I heard that they either avoid that or stop wandering a certain distance away from you in 1.2 (not sure which, I remember those being possible reasons for mob traps no longer working).
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 am UTC

We're thinking water jets, but yeah, we may want to test...

Also, kid's figured out a way to automated wheat. Well not automated, but afk. Pretty resource-intensive, but we've got enough bone meal to carpet bomb the world three times over, so it should be fine.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 am UTC

Ya, some testing would be good. Now's the part where I wish my school allowed us to host servers of any sort, as the bandwidth is insane here. My computer could barely handle it, but I would definitely host a test server for that if it were allowed.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 am UTC

We're going to dig a hole anyway since, well, since since.

It's currently on the northeast corner of the giant pit in blal/brian's industrial park, perfectly positioned so we can all snipe from my place if the zombies escape and take over.

For now we probably just need help carving out the rooms. More details shortly, or one can just come and look.

Oh, and btw...

Spoiler:
Image (link)

Edit 2: Reed farm started.

Edit 3: 1.2 Mob grinder. Since mobs spawn in a 144 block radius from you, the simplest way to get everything to spawn really easily is to build... really high up. Then let them fall.

Edit 4: New defensive mobs: iron golems. Takes 4 iron blocks to build, though, so quite expensive.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

Hey im on the server now and its really laggy. Is anyone else having this issue of is it at my end?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

Iron Golem eh. good thing I stocked up on iron, I knew it would come handy one day.

Spoiler:
2012-02-23_13.45.59.png

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:38 am UTC

Well, due to the fact that I am an idiot and left my power cable for my computer at school when I went home for the weekend, I will not be playing minecraft at all this weekend since none of the computers at my parents house can handle it...

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

Does anyone happen to have any aqua affinity + respiration helmets they would be willing to lend out or trade?
I finally found a good spot for my new project, but it has a few seamounts that must go, and even the door trick will be pretty difficult considering the sea is 17 deep there.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:28 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Well, due to the fact that I am an idiot and left my power cable for my computer at school when I went home for the weekend, I will not be playing minecraft at all this weekend since none of the computers at my parents house can handle it...

Which, honestly, is damn impressive as I was playing on a ten year old computer up until this winter.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:34 am UTC

Can I make the suggestion that we turn the Pandora redstone timing authority building into some sort of power plant? It just seems appropriate if most of the redstone that needs clocks will run off it.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:15 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:Can I make the suggestion that we turn the Pandora redstone timing authority building into some sort of power plant? It just seems appropriate if most of the redstone that needs clocks will run off it.

That's a great idea. We already have a Hydroelectric dam though so it would have to be a substation. Anyone know any good looking designs for "power lines" we can string from the dam to the timing building? Neither fence posts or fence gates would look right, and those are the thinnest thingS I can think of at the moment.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

1.2 mob farm update:

I've built a duplicate of the planned Pandora spawner in singleplayer and it's not performing well at all. Either I did something wrong (I have doublechecked myself, twice) or something changed. It appears (from looking inside it) that fewer mobs are spawning in the first place.

Construction is therefore on hold until I figure out what's the matter.

Time to rebuild it in a flat map. Whee!

Perhaps with smarter enemy mobs Mojang reduced the quantity spawned per player?

Ok, it works great in a flatland world, so there's evidently some huge caverns and whatnot in my singleplayer science world. Here's the world save if anyone wants to play with it. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12632309/Flatland.zip

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

Honestly, I'm holding out for Lineland.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:20 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Meem1029 wrote:Well, due to the fact that I am an idiot and left my power cable for my computer at school when I went home for the weekend, I will not be playing minecraft at all this weekend since none of the computers at my parents house can handle it...

Which, honestly, is damn impressive as I was playing on a ten year old computer up until this winter.

Okay, so I figured out that they can run minecraft, sort of. As in I turn all settings on as low as possible and it gets about 10 fps. And our computers consist of 2 laptops which are 4+ years old and were never good and both running off of integrated graphics and quite poorly in general now and a desktop we got about 3 years ago as a black friday special for $300.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:49 am UTC

Have you tried using OptiFine? Might be just enough to push you into playable framerates, and it gives you even more option you can turn down (and, really, just more options. Lots of options.)
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:38 am UTC

I've been trying my hand at MCedit to make a new type of survival map. I think I've almost got the hang of things.
a.k.a. Cazador

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:36 am UTC

blalobw wrote:
Amishdemon wrote:Can I make the suggestion that we turn the Pandora redstone timing authority building into some sort of power plant? It just seems appropriate if most of the redstone that needs clocks will run off it.

That's a great idea. We already have a Hydroelectric dam though so it would have to be a substation. Anyone know any good looking designs for "power lines" we can string from the dam to the timing building? Neither fence posts or fence gates would look right, and those are the thinnest thingS I can think of at the moment.

What about nether brick fence? That's kinda dark and would look more like wires.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:53 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:
blalobw wrote:

What about nether brick fence? That's kinda dark and would look more like wires.

If we built the towers right, black wool might work. If only redstone wire was freestanding.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:21 am UTC

I'm telling you guys, we need to get build craft/industrial craft on the server!

As well as Airplanes.
a.k.a. Cazador

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:55 am UTC

I need to obsidian-line my house before we get Airplanes.

While most buildings are in danger of deliberate air attacks, mine is basically a "what's that in front of- OH GOD OH GOD" situation waiting to happen.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 am UTC

You could get anti-aircraft guns manned by snow golems...

But yeah, we need more mods. IndustrialCraft would be awesome for the city(ies).

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:35 am UTC

I kinda like it more vanilla. But I'm willing to be outvoted.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:34 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:I kinda like it more vanilla. But I'm willing to be outvoted.

Agreed.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

I think we should look into mods when we think we've exhausted the fun possibilities of things to make in vanilla. I see all this talk about various mob farming systems and the like, and I think we should keep doing those for a while. But I'm not opposed to mods.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:07 pm UTC

I'd happily play a bemodded XKCD server occasionally, but the ST server is sacrosanct and should stay vanilla; anything else would cheapen its storied and mysterious history.

Truth be told, I'd like to get inclement weather and fire spread back. As is, if I'm showing off anything on the server to someone I have to say: "It's legit! ...except that we can use settime, lava doesn't light things on fire, weather's been turned off, and there have been a few isolated /give and creative mode moments. ...oh, and there was 1.72. Heh. Heh."

Huge skyrails, lava lakes, automated redstone machines (and even blotted-out suns over grassless wastelands) matter more and are more awesome when you know that engineers had to work with the physics that existed, and didn't just use a hack to change physics.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Amishdemon wrote:
blalobw wrote:

If we built the towers right, black wool might work. If only redstone wire was freestanding.

I'm thinking of street telephone poles. I think the huge steel ones would be too big for the short distance.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

When 1.2 comes out, we can use nether brick slabs. Those are pretty thin and a reasonable color.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:02 pm UTC

I think most of us, when talking about mods, are talking about it in the "wouldn't it be SO COOL?" kind, not the actual "I really want that" kind. =p

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:13 pm UTC

Yeah... Parts of IndustrialCraft would be useful but the whole thing is overkill. Although a mod to adjust pigmen spawning would be great. >_>

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

I'd be interested in playing a Tekkit or similar server, though. Collaborative quarries and mines and factories.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:32 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I'd be interested in playing a Tekkit or similar server, though. Collaborative quarries and mines and factories.

Tekkit is something I am setting up on my own server for some friends. SCIENCE was moved off to another server, but it seems to be down, and I have not heard from the owner of the box for some time now. They haven't even read the pm I sent 8 days ago.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:18 am UTC

Xerillum wrote:When 1.2 comes out, we can use nether brick slabs. Those are pretty thin and a reasonable color.

Might look weird from angles other then straight on the side but its worth a try.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:41 am UTC

The attraction of vanilla to me is using bugs and weirdness to do clever things. A mob sorter that works by noting the different behaviors of mobs is more interesting/rewarding than using a mod with a "mob discriminator" that triggers a trapdoor when the correct type of mob wanders by.

On that note, aversion to sunlight is an unreliable way to sort skeletons and zombies from creepers. They don't immidiatly head for shade/water, they act confused for a while first.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:19 am UTC

Antarctica is becoming a prosperous endeavor for me. I gained over a stack of iron in about an hour of work. I have only found one vein of diamond so far, but it yielded eight diamond. When I have secured the ravine, I will begin work on the above ground structures, which will require a bit of ingenuity, as I will attempt to make them out of ice and snow primarily. I have also started to gather resources that will withstand ghast fireballs to build a trading route with pandora, waterworld, and spawn when I get a chance. In the mean time, there is plenty of exposed ore to be mined, if you take the time to secure an area of the ravine, and plenty of free space to build.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:29 am UTC

Hows this look for the transformer things for the substation?

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 am UTC

Does plains city have a music hall?
On a related note, does anyone know how far from a jukebox you can be and still hear it?
(I am kind of thinking that since there are at least three good songs (mall, cat and to a lesser extent chirp), it would make sense to have multiple rooms where we could have different ones playing)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Return to “Gaming”