Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

oscar_spider

Re: Minecraft

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:27 am UTC

Flumble wrote:The spoilered edit mentions two servers, one vanilla (1.10 currently) and one FTB.

What it doesn't mention is that you also need to be whitelisted for the vanilla server (for example by sending a PM to _infina_).

At the time I joined the vanilla server it was not "any one who asks gets whitelisted". It required being "sponsored" by a current member who would vouch for the applicant that they would honor the rules. That is what kept this server insulated from griefers and other bad behavior.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:20 pm UTC

So, I was working on filling in the moon with cobble so it wouldn't be full of mobs anymore, and I got hit by some kind of super-creeper that OHKO'd me through full enchanted diamond armor, blew through 3+ layers of cobble slabs, and instantly vaporized everything I was carrying at the time, including my XP orbs.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:59 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:So, I was working on filling in the moon with cobble so it wouldn't be full of mobs anymore, and I got hit by some kind of super-creeper that OHKO'd me through full enchanted diamond armor, blew through 3+ layers of cobble slabs, and instantly vaporized everything I was carrying at the time, including my XP orbs.

I commiserated with you online. I can't image that was anything other than a Charged Creeper, despite the biome it is in.

For the moon, how about just putting down half-slabs and stairs? I thought the inside looked like a cool base and weep at the thought of it being filled in solid. :(

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:11 am UTC

I tried putting down half-slabs, but working in the moon is ludicrously dangerous, and many areas where mobs spawn are difficult to reach. Also, using cobble slabs makes it difficult to tell where slabs have been placed and where they haven't making achieving full coverage even more difficult, while using other types of slabs wouldn't really preserve the look anyway.

My original conception of the Moon was that it would be solid and then bases would be tunneled into it. Leaving it open, there's actually just not that much usable floor-space for a base even without considering the mob spawns.

the upper half is likely to remain hollow for now, and in the future there's a good chance I'd like to build more moon bases in the future utilizing the lessons I've learned from this project. Possibly one in the End, or the Nether, or one of each.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:18 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I tried putting down half-slabs, but working in the moon is ludicrously dangerous, and many areas where mobs spawn are difficult to reach. Also, using cobble slabs makes it difficult to tell where slabs have been placed and where they haven't making achieving full coverage even more difficult, while using other types of slabs wouldn't really preserve the look anyway.

My original conception of the Moon was that it would be solid and then bases would be tunneled into it. Leaving it open, there's actually just not that much usable floor-space for a base even without considering the mob spawns.

the upper half is likely to remain hollow for now, and in the future there's a good chance I'd like to build more moon bases in the future utilizing the lessons I've learned from this project. Possibly one in the End, or the Nether, or one of each.

Perhaps you'd give me license to work on the interior. I would look to you for general guidance on look & feel, and would make it mob-safe via half-slabbing for all spawnable surfaces inside and out. Temporary scaffolding is useful for those hard to reach places. I'd also remove any "graffiti" I see.

Another thought on the "Creeper Incident": could it have been two normal creepers? First one killed you and second destroyed your stuff?

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:13 am UTC

Lag is gone now that you dismantled your 2 launchers.

I am up in the Moon. On first entry a creeper blew up, but I ducked down into the water at the first hiss. Then a few moments later while getting my bearings by the "Lava Containment" structure another creeper blew up. There was some minor damage, no lava leakage, but water is flowing - not sure how it looked before the damage. Please take a look at it.

Inside the Moon I have set up a multi-zoned safe area for myself on the curved sloping "walkway" structure as a temporary work area. I will start by lighting up the top outside of the Moon, then the interior, then return to the top to switch the lighting out for half-slabbing.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:07 am UTC

I did some work around clocktown, the autofarms are all fully operational again, the wheat farm has been upgraded (the old hopper grid had tons of bottlenecks that were clogged with wheat, the new one should solve that problem) And the output chests have a sorter attached to remove poppies and seeds (they get dropped into lava).

Also dismantled the Elytra launcher at Clocktown. I'm not sure how much lag is actually attributable to those things, but I'm gonna dismantle the ones at Pandora and in the End as well just to be safe. Anyone have any idea what to do with ~1,000 boats?

The latest snapshot has some cool new features. Fireworks can be used as easy Elytra propulsion, so the launchers won't really be necessary anymore anyway. Also, fireworks with explosions do damage. Iron nuggets have also been added and iron/gold weapons/tools/armor can be smelted into their respective nuggets.

EDIT: 1.11.2 is live and includes the features from that snapshot.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:26 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:Perhaps you'd give me license to work on the interior. I would look to you for general guidance on look & feel, and would make it mob-safe via half-slabbing for all spawnable surfaces inside and out.

The outside of the top of the Moon has been half-slabbed.

Also, testing out a circular corridor layout idea for the interior.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:30 pm UTC

Based on a comment on reddit some time ago, I've decided to finally do that foto tour of xkcraftia. We start with the Old World, looking at Spawn and surrounding buildings.

Edit: Now with Part 2
Edit2: And Part 3, still in the Old World. I expect Part 5 to conclude with it when we take the rail from Clock Town to Mysterious Isle.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:17 pm UTC

Server crashed. Raudorn, Zephyr, and myself were all doing fine. Can someone look at it and restart it please?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:20 pm UTC

Preferably update it while you're at it.

Please?
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:47 pm UTC

Yes, please update the server (to at least 1.11.1) before bringing it back up. :D

Also does anyone have a spare elytra for me?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:27 am UTC

Up and on version 1.11.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:35 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:Up and on version 1.11.

Server was up on 1.11 for a couple hours and just went down again. I was the only one on and everything was fine. Perhaps you're going to 1.11.2?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:14 pm UTC

Definitely still noticing some tick lag after you brought the server back up again today.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:16 pm UTC

So instead of posting each part seperately, I made an overview post where updates are entries in the gallery: http://imgur.com/a/TWoEs
Now with Part 4! Part 5 will be Winterfell, Clock Town and the two longest rail lines on the server. After that we're finally getting to Pandora. I'm feeling like this series will have a dozen posts overall.

@EdgarJPublius
I did eventually find those deprecated wooden slabs, in Waterworld, but not in the quantities I remember. I'll chalk that up to faulty memory, since I also found deprecated leaves. Still, if you want to grab a stack of those slabs, you can either wait until we're online at the same time or grab them from Black Forest. Take the Spawn airport to the BF airport, then follow the signs to Black Forest Proper -> Inner Domain -> Personal Quarters, then look in the chest next to the upper right corner of the door to the quarters. It should be labeled player exchange or something. Or I can deliver them next time I'm online. Where to?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:25 am UTC

Kudos for the grand tour, raudorn! :D

Now how long do we have until you visit Whittington? I still have 2+ projects to complete (interior decoration of the town hall, a hotel, expansion of the airport, replacing the lights+carpets with double layers of snow* and a new, bigger, better, redstone-based clocktower).

*it is said that thick snow layers prevent mobs from spawning.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 am UTC

Flumble wrote:Kudos for the grand tour, raudorn! :D

Now how long do we have until you visit Whittington? I still have 2+ projects to complete (interior decoration of the town hall, a hotel, expansion of the airport, replacing the lights+carpets with double layers of snow* and a new, bigger, better, redstone-based clocktower).

*it is said that thick snow layers prevent mobs from spawning.

I'm saving Whittington for last. However I also want to finish as soon as possible since christmas break only lasts so long. Not to fret, though. The vast majority of the server's projects are unfinished.

Also now I'm curious about snow layers myself. I somehow forgot blocks can have more than one.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:29 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:

Definitely still noticing some tick lag after you brought the server back up again today.

The slow ticks seem to be limited to the overworld.

Also, somewhere around -4000,2000 (I guess) beneath an end ship is a corpse with 3 elytra, a fully upgraded armour & tool set and some other stuff.
Oh and a bucket of water that I totally forgot about while franticly waving a sword at an angry mob.

That makes a total of 2 deaths and 4 lost elytra in 2 days. I've had better. :oops:

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 am UTC

Flumble wrote:
Also, somewhere around -4000,2000 (I guess) beneath an end ship is a corpse with 3 elytra, a fully upgraded armour & tool set and some other stuff.
Oh and a bucket of water that I totally forgot about while franticly waving a sword at an angry mob.

That makes a total of 2 deaths and 4 lost elytra in 2 days. I've had better. :oops:

Ouch! Any chance your items are on solid ground where you could retrieve them?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:17 am UTC

I carry an end chest and a silk pick everywhere, especially in the End. When looting, I make frequent stops to load choice booty (like elytra) into my end chest so even if I die out in the void, I don't lose as much.

In the past, I limited my excursions to how much space I had in my end chest, but with shulker boxes, much longer endurance expeditions should be possible without increasing the risk of losing stuff.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:32 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:Ouch! Any chance your items are on solid ground where you could retrieve them?

Yeah, it's not exactly beneath an end ship, but on the island nearby. I was on my way back but the punch bow kept failing me. :oops:

EdgarJPublius wrote:I carry an end chest and a silk pick everywhere, especially in the End. When looting, I make frequent stops to load choice booty (like elytra) into my end chest so even if I die out in the void, I don't lose as much.

I should take an end chest with me too (or find end chests in the end cities, of which I learned through youtube today).

Anyway, I'm definitely in favour of 1.11.x. Rockets are more reliable and you can launch from a piece of cobweb. :lol:

[edit]Also, it is said waving a flaming sword at an enderman is a bad idea, because it continues to take damage and will teleport at every occasion, making it ever more terrifying and harder to kill. :shock:

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:23 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:Anyway, I'm definitely in favour of 1.11.x. Rockets are more reliable and you can launch from a piece of cobweb. :lol:

I was practicing launching with rockets the other day and can now take off reasonably reliably and easily from flat ground.

I've always carried and End Chest and Silk pick with me everywhere.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:00 pm UTC

Server just died again.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:10 pm UTC

As much as I love the creeper-killing mechanism, I think it is a significant contributor to the recent lagginess. All the gunpowder left around to be picked up by mobs and such can't be helping any.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:04 am UTC

Big fan of the grand tour pictures!

of note: Winterfell wasn't built around an existing village, I built the village from scratch, and a mod planted a few villagers there. I don't think that villages usually exist in the snow?

Anyway, bravo.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:46 am UTC

freezeblade wrote:of note: Winterfell wasn't built around an existing village, I built the village from scratch, and a mod planted a few villagers there. I don't think that villages usually exist in the snow?

Anyway, bravo.

I think villages can exist in the snow - if you find an igloo some have them in a secret basement. In any case, zombie villagers should be around anywhere for curing.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:49 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:As much as I love the creeper-killing mechanism, I think it is a significant contributor to the recent lagginess. All the gunpowder left around to be picked up by mobs and such can't be helping any.

It doesn't even kill all the creepers. But not sure how much it contributes to lag, since the mob cap is still in force. Mostly it just skews the mobs you find toward zombies since the gunpowder toting ones don't despawn.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:01 am UTC

I don't think mobs that are holding picked up items count towards the cap. The loose gunpowder items also contribute to server load without counting towards the mob cap.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:03 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I don't think mobs that are holding picked up items count towards the cap. The loose gunpowder items also contribute to server load without counting towards the mob cap.

Wiki says it checks for "the number of living mobs", so whether they are holding something or not is irrelevant - they get counted. The lose gunpowder is still an issue, depending on how much is in your vicinity.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:54 am UTC

My understanding is that the count for the mob cap specifically ignores mobs with the PersistenceRequired flag set, which occurs when a mob is named with a nametag or picks up an item.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:32 pm UTC

If it didn't work that way, you could basically disable mob spawning in an area by having 250 zombies with items in a room somewhere.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:45 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:My understanding is that the count for the mob cap specifically ignores mobs with the PersistenceRequired flag set, which occurs when a mob is named with a nametag or picks up an item.

The internet agrees with you.

And like the property name suggests, these mobs also refuse to despawn. (luckily they don't prevent the chunk from deactivating; that'd make the server really really slow)

Mutex wrote:If it didn't work that way, you could basically disable mob spawning in an area by having 250 zombies with items in a room somewhere.

It'd be a "feature" though. :wink:

Mutex

Postby Mutex » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:52 pm UTC

Hah yeah, and to be fair there's probably easier ways to make an area spawn-proof. Like putting some torches around the place.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:04 pm UTC

Updated creeper killer to to them into the void. No more random item drops
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:35 pm UTC

Aaaand, we're done! I finished the last entry of the grand tour series. Here's the overview post again.

There might be a future update, with places I missed, revisits of underappreciated stuff and locations hidden in the confusing mapmaker's-personal-hell that is the Nether. But I wouldn't expect that update anytime soon. My insanity only lasts for so long at a stretch and I need to recharge with some normal hobbies inbetween.

@oscar_spider
@freezeblade
Thanks for the corrections!

It seems I got a bit creative with the fake history of the server and sometimes my creativity may have gotten away. A first I just wanted to avoid writing "This is xyz" over three hundred times and embellished here and there, which turned into pulling stuff out of a hat whenever I needed some trivia about the current place, which turned into a sort-of fantasy setting inspired by other Minecraft projects and other inspirations. Heck, I might even write a fanfic about it someday.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:47 am UTC

I should probably verify the dungeon under Cloud Temple still works correctly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:32 am UTC

Server is down again. I don't know where Zephyr was, but I am in a boat on the ocean traversing existing chunks.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:41 am UTC

I was flying low and slow over mostly existing terrain, might have been near enough to some un-generated inclusions to cause some new chunk creation, but I don't think that was the problem unless the crash happened pretty much as soon as it tried generating the new terrain because I wasn't noticing any lag at the time, and even flying slowly, small amounts of lag are very noticeable.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:56 pm UTC

Something is causing a tick to take 60 seconds, which is what crashes the server...I am not somewhere I can restart it anytime soon.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Return to “Gaming”