Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

uncivlengr

Re: Minecraft

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

OK, I generated a new world tonight and this thing popped up in front of me. I assume today's update had something to do with it?

(spoiler alert! don't click if you want to discover it yourself!)

Disregard: I confirmed that it's some sort of glitch with the map editor I downloaded, affecting new worlds when it shouldn't.

Spoiler:
wtf.png
Last edited by uncivlengr on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what to do for you

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:57 am UTC

AFAIK, each world is uniquely generated, which means that no one else is ever going to find or see that exact thing. I'm sure there have been other towers in the water, but not that specific one. It is pretty cool though, haven't ever run into anything like that.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:03 am UTC

I've not heard anything about
Spoiler:
randomly generated towers like that. It looks pretty funky. Is the inside any more interesting?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:08 am UTC

There's bricks in it. Those aren't part of generated terrain.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:22 am UTC

Levi wrote:There's bricks in it. Those aren't part of generated terrain.
Spoiler:
Well I generated a new world and certainly didn't build it myself! I don't know how there'd be anything else doing it - as far as addons, I've downloaded MCMapper, which creates dungeons in an already generated map, but it doesn't make towers, and it has to be manually run after a world is generated. These are popping up as soon as the world is generated.

TaintedDeity wrote:I've not heard anything about
Spoiler:
randomly generated towers like that. It looks pretty funky. Is the inside any more interesting?

Spoiler:
I generated new worlds to see if it happened again, and I've found the same thing several times - basically, a floor of trees, then two floors above that with bricks/stone. There are random hallways throughout, and a spiral staircase going straight up the middle from one level below the trees to the top of the tower.

There's always been a ladder between the trees/bricks levels, and at the top there's a sign that says, "Maintainence ladder, use at your own risk" or something like that.

I was hoping there'd be chests or spawners, but nothing like that - just random corridors and the staircase.

edit: after getting three of these towers in about five generated worlds earlier this evening, I can't get another one now to show another example... I deleted the worlds, thinking it was easy to find another, so that image is the only proof I have. Now I know how people who saw bigfoot feel.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:07 pm UTC

Recently got into this and its so amazingly addictive and fun. Having a real blast with multi player, a lot of fun making random stuff with friends or tunnelling miles underground. Played some single player last night though and screwing around with mine carts and red stone was awesome, any ETA on when those things are going to work in multi player?

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:28 pm UTC

I'm guessing something other than the base game is creating the "things" I mentioned last night - I found another one on a newly generated map this morning:
Spoiler:
tower1.png

This one did have a chest in it, with leather boots, some bricks, and a hoe.

It must be the "mcmapper" addon that's doing it, but like I mentioned before, that works by manually altering pre-existing worlds, not affecting the way a world is generating from the start. Very strange.

Disregard: I confirmed that it's some sort of glitch with the map editor I downloaded, affecting new worlds when it shouldn't.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:59 pm UTC

Even if it is McMapper at least I now know McMapper exists and is cool :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:14 pm UTC

MCMapper makes Roguelike-ish dungeons in pre-existing worlds. The one I generated was empty, but then, I did select the Torches Everywhere option. I thought it meant torches on the *surface* so I could find it easier...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:MCMapper makes Roguelike-ish dungeons in pre-existing worlds. The one I generated was empty, but then, I did select the Torches Everywhere option. I thought it meant torches on the *surface* so I could find it easier...

If you select the tower option, it creates a very tall spire at the entrance...from a good vantage point near your starting position, you should be able to see it.
This is the view from my spawn point after creating the dungeon:
tower1.png

TIP: bring torches anyway - there's some sort of lighting glitch, where torches sometimes don't actually illuminate the dungeon, unless you knock them off the wall and put them back up.

Sleipner

Postby Sleipner » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

Matt Burgess wrote:I've done quite a bit of research and looked online, and apparently it's this great new development for independent developers and creative gamers. And I just have one question to ask: What the fuck is Minecraft?

Gotta love Australian Gamer.

Brother Maynard

Postby Brother Maynard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

I'd love to play, but it runs horribly slowly on my laptop. D:

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

Toggle the fog settings down to "tiny" when you're playing :P You only get to see about 5 feet in front of you, but it makes the game that much scarier :D
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:20 pm UTC

A while back I found a level called 'Eden' and opposite the spawn point was this huge long bridge. Thanks to putting the fog on 'tiny' it made the bridge appearing out of the mist really eerie, especially when I arrived at a castle wall that spanned as far as I could see either way. With the fog settings on high it was a really dull level...
Ⓞⓞ◯

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

So, I picked this up because my friends were playing it. I've made some really cool things, then my entire computer locked up hard on two separate occasions, corrupting my world saves D:

luvnotwar

Postby luvnotwar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

I just got it last night. I love it so much it's unreal. Lost my stuff in lava already :)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:34 am UTC

So me and my brother are building a dungeon. We're nearly finished the main room.

Once we finish the main enterence room we're thinking of making it public for some people to make their own extensions from the main room to make their own sections of the dungeon, or collaborate together or what ever. If that did happen you would probably only be able to play when we're hosting the server, since we won't have a dedicated server or anything. Also since we're based in Australia the lag might be unacceptable. There would also be rules, like to stick within the aesthetic of the design, all resources would have to be harvested, and silly little stuff like conserving coal.

Anyone up for it? I'm just looking too see how much interest there is in joining in this lil' project.

Edit:

Enterance from Arial View (thinking of removing the fire on the top);
Spoiler:

At the end of the long walk down the stairs, splits off into two enterances to the main hall.
Spoiler:

In the Main Hall, looking towards the enterances. At this point the main hall is about 3/4ths excavated, I'm standing on some of the blocks yet to be mined out;
Spoiler:

Torches at the moment are just for lighting, torches will be on pillars later on, with pyres in the corner and maybe at the end of the main hall.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

What I did for a while on a rainy Saturday:

Spoiler:
(A litle dark, but I took the screenshots at night for cool lighting effects)
bridge1.png
bridge2.png

Obviously missing the critical component for a suspension bridge - hanger cables - but I'm not sure what to use that wouldn't make it look too bulky.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

Reeds?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:51 pm UTC

I considered that, but you can't place them anywhere but next to water tiles, and even then, you can't stack them.

Physics has never been the strength of these games, so I'm not going to worry too much about being structurally accurate... my towers are built from clay, just for the colour.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:48 pm UTC

Stacked fences (like this)? They're a bit awkward to build, because the game won't let you build a fence on top of an existing fence - instead, you have to first make a column out of normal blocks (e.g. dirt), then replace those blocks with fence blocks starting from the top and working downwards.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:08 pm UTC

That's awesome, I hadn't really played with fences, so I didn't know that trick... it'll work perfectly.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:19 pm UTC

Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 pm UTC

With the lantern change pyres are going to be even more useful.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

That's great, I'm looking forward to biomes...

cmcl

Postby cmcl » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

Lot of people seem really ticked off about the expiring torches thing. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. I don't see how lanterns could possibly be that much harder to make than torches. The guy does want people to be able to play the game.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

what he should do is have them remain eternal when you've got it on the peaceful setting.

Let's say you're new to the game and you get exploring one of those expansive caves in peaceful mode. All your torches burn out and you're left in the dark. You're not going to find your way out by chance, so you can quit and start an entirely new game, or try to kill yourself and respawn. All you can do is hope you get lucky and wander off the edge of a cliff and hurt yourself, but even then, your health is just going to restore in peaceful mode.

That'd be a really grim situation to be in, the more I think about it - wandering around in the dark, trying in vain just to end your life.

Also, jack-o-lanterns! That'll be fun.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:17 am UTC

So, we dug a HUGE mine next to our dungeon and we eventually came across a massive cavern system, managed to find some diamond and we now have 2, potentially 3 obsidian farms down there. While exploring we found this HUGE upward shaft so we built stairs all the way up and only 10 or so blocks above the end of the giant shaft was the surface only around the corner from our dungeon.

Edit:

Main hall of the dungeon -- probably still some decorating to do but it's pretty good atm, I have some obsidian and mossy cobble to use.
Spoiler:

Going to start working on "Housing" extensions from this, which will also lead off to custom parts of the dungeons.

Anyone in?

Edit: Secret Room, entirely natural lighting.
Spoiler:
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:59 am UTC

I love this game, but I just went on a huge mining expedition maybe...a kilometer from my base, found seventy something iron ore. Got blowed up. aaarg.
Completely addicted.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:03 am UTC

Decker wrote:I love this game, but I just went on a huge mining expedition maybe...a kilometer from my base, found seventy something iron ore. Got blowed up. aaarg.
Completely addicted.

We mined out a HUGE mine near our dungeon, it eventually led us into a cave where I found 3 diamond (yay diamond pickaxe) and eventually we found a dungeon (yay mossy cobblestone!) and this naturally formed giant shaft straight upwards which led us only 5 or so blocks from the surface. When we got out it turned out it was right next our mine enterance and our base enterance.

Edit: Protip for anyone playing multiplayer; Don't place minecarts ever.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

One can only imagine why...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

Has anyone been using the minecarts for escalators? There's the booster cart exploit, but I've been using it to make a minecraft transporter that's always running - the entire track is inclined, and the booster runs the entire length of track, and as soon as the carts reach the top, they both roll back to the bottom. There's no flat at the bottom, so they boost back up again automatically. You can hop in and out at any time, they just keep going up and down.

It's very difficult to interrupt them, so its handy for fast transportation from either end at any time. I'll set one up and post a few stills later.

cmcl

Postby cmcl » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Decker wrote:found seventy something iron ore. Got blowed up. aaarg.
This is how I learned to place an empty crate somewhere while I'm mining, and routinely go back and stash my goodies in it. Sooooooo frustrating to have found a big cache of diamonds only to lose 'em all because you got surprised by a creeper in the dark.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:07 am UTC

cmcl wrote:
Decker wrote:found seventy something iron ore. Got blowed up. aaarg.
This is how I learned to place an empty crate somewhere while I'm mining, and routinely go back and stash my goodies in it. Sooooooo frustrating to have found a big cache of diamonds only to lose 'em all because you got surprised by a creeper in the dark.

I actually found a better solution.
The cave entrance was not that far away from my home base, and the lava caves way at the bottom were pretty sprawling. On a hunch I made a compass, went exploring and lo and behold, there was a spot in the caves right under my spawn point. Went back up and dug a spiral staircase all the way down.
I love the world I spawned in this time. There are insane amounts of caves. I may just connect them and make one giant underground fortress.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:31 am UTC

Gorram creepers.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Really, REALLY hoping that lanterns will not require iron. Anyone that even starts a minecart network knows how it feels when it comes to iron scarcity. Sometimes I find diamond and wish it was more iron.

cmcl

Postby cmcl » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Iron seems rather scarce in my world, too, but I won't be too upset if lanterns need it (as long as it isn't more than one ingot). Actually, I really hope they require redstone. My world is like one giant, glowing redstone lump. I don't even bother mining it anymore unless it's directly in my path. Same with coal.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

I get careless with coal, mainly because I am afraid of the dark. I mine up a bunch of it, and think I'm set for a while. I start passing up coal when I see it and then before I know it I'm low.

Edit:
cmcl wrote:Actually, I really hope they require redstone. My world is like one giant, glowing redstone lump. I don't even bother mining it anymore unless it's directly in my path.

Good idea except for one, big thing. Redstone is pretty much always near the bottom of the map. How do you get there without a permanent light source?

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

Dig a light shaft and carve a staircase around it.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:49 pm UTC

Or bring a lot of torches with you.

Return to “Gaming”