Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Cadiac

Re: Minecraft

Postby Cadiac » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:43 am UTC

Can I get whitelisted? I've just recently started playing on the server randomly, building a small wooden hut on an island.. I've hardly talked to anyone since the server has almost always been empty, only spoken to couple of people like roosevelt and blalobw. Can anyone vouch me?

(Haven't been playing this week since I haven't been at home, it's a shame that the server got griefed.)

Predator_freeman

Postby Predator_freeman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:59 am UTC

I have seen Cadiac before on the server but only for five minutes. He seemed decent, he asked for all the rules and i explained the basics. But then again like i said it was only 5 minutes. So i cant really vouch for him.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

Are redstone torches broken in 1.6.6? I can't get mine to turn off... at all.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

YAY! :) I finally finished finals! MINECRAFT ARCHITECTURE 101 STARTS NOW :D
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

I am sad about the whitelist (also sad I'm not on it, but I figure that's an oversight. I hope.)

Whitelist means other forumites can't wander in, look around, and decide to settle. :/

Perhaps we could just ban people as needed, do our best to clean up, and if someone feels wrongfully banned, require someone to vouch for them?

I joined the server after lurking in the forum for a bit, and found I liked the people and the atmosphere (and I think this server will be around a good long while, based on my assessment of XKCD's other fans.)

Whitelisting is nearly bulletproof, but limits growth and new blood. And tourism.
This is sad, and there's no way I would have bothered to check out the server if I'd had the big hurdle of finding a friend (probably an IRL friend at that) who was already on the server.
Server willing, I'd like to have as many responsible settler-neighbors in the area as would come. A thriving community would be more fun!

It may be rude to say it, but the evidence--and I believe there's plenty of it--suggests that a visitor got on the server for the first time, got a friendly tour, and abused that hospitality by stealing whatever he wanted and blowing shit up with creepers and TNT. Nobody involved (including the wee free men) loses anything by his bannination.

Ban badly behaved children, but don't make it a gated community?

That said, I'll keep going regardless. I feel like I'm not too far away from finishing Bowler's Green (I'm going to stop at 200x200, actually) and after that, I can get started on Mordor!

--Gana

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:30 pm UTC

we could have a grey list. people need building rights and after that they can do what they want. it allows for people to see the server. to do this though we would need more people to be able to give building rights then just ST because he's not always on.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

If ST could and would like to a graylist with OPs to whitelist people would be a great option. I have very little server admin practice but I have a little when I ran a small server with some friends. The difference is I knew all of them in person. I have been on the server back when it was Rippys and I remember building the original mud hut back when there wasnt even a forest there. I would love to give back to the server by being an OP but once again, whoever is an OP is up to ST. Getting on the whitelist atleast would also be nice.
these are words
type, type, type

Predator_freeman

Postby Predator_freeman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:53 pm UTC

I was speaking to ST about building rights and we found them useful but annoying in a game that is purely for building. I also agree with the fact witha whitelist it becomes a gated community. Maybe more ops are needed, maybe we should have building rights or maybe i should shut up.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 pm UTC

there are mods that allow people to have property that might save some of peoples larger stuff from being griefed. just throwing out suggestions.
one question though, does the server have any rules besides don't be an ass?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

I think greylisting is a great idea... People should only get building rights after they explore most of the server and introduce themselves.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

it works on others why not ours?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

For I am nothing if not an incredibly lazy man.

I've got the ability to turn various permissions on and dick around with that, I just don't (read: in the past few days) have the time to dick with that sort of thing. And yeah, it's sad that it can no longer be a wide open "Come take a look and do something awesome" server, but this is the second time I've had to clean up shit - the first time I was more or less able to, this time I am not.

Anyway, I'm going to update the whitelist here in a bit to add the people who've requested in this thread that I remember being on the server before.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

I'd like to be whitelisted on ST's server too if that's cool. I used to wander Psion's server a bit, but it seems like ST's server is the primary now. I'd also like to know what rules there are. I remember talk a while back about parceling out lots to different users and you could only build on that plot, or something. I don't remember if that was ST's, Psion's or some other server.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:56 pm UTC

Generally speaking - If you plan on building in the core - that is, a half-day or so walk from Spawn... before you start building, take a good look around. Take a look around neighboring structures and make sure there isn't a tunnel system under it if you plan on building a large basement or whatever. Take a look above you as well. Take a look at the neighboring structures and see how they flow together. Identify who owns what structures, and talk to them. Make sure they don't have any plans for the area you want to build in, and then go right ahead and build your whatever.

Alternately, wait until dawn, pick a direction and start walking. When night comes, stake your claim where you're standing (or find a nearby place that you like) and get to work.

It's also not a bad idea to look at the maps first and get a general idea as to what's where, and maybe even spot a nice looking place before you start wandering around.

And if you want to cheat or just get a damn good start, take a couple of diamond blocks from my Airship. Assuming any are left.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:Pistons look amazing.
https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/80763246256193536

_infina_ wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:Pistons appear to push pistons. I hope so. This is going to rock so hard.

I wonder if they can push minecarts between rails...

Minecarts are entities, and pistons can't push entities, so no is what I would say. You might be able to move tracks, though.

So... Even after the update, everyone will still be using the Pistons mod?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

No...?
Ⓞⓞ◯

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:I am sad about the whitelist (also sad I'm not on it, but I figure that's an oversight. I hope.)

Whitelist means other forumites can't wander in, look around, and decide to settle. :/

Perhaps we could just ban people as needed, do our best to clean up, and if someone feels wrongfully banned, require someone to vouch for them?

I joined the server after lurking in the forum for a bit, and found I liked the people and the atmosphere (and I think this server will be around a good long while, based on my assessment of XKCD's other fans.)

Whitelisting is nearly bulletproof, but limits growth and new blood. And tourism.
This is sad, and there's no way I would have bothered to check out the server if I'd had the big hurdle of finding a friend (probably an IRL friend at that) who was already on the server.
Server willing, I'd like to have as many responsible settler-neighbors in the area as would come. A thriving community would be more fun!

It may be rude to say it, but the evidence--and I believe there's plenty of it--suggests that a visitor got on the server for the first time, got a friendly tour, and abused that hospitality by stealing whatever he wanted and blowing shit up with creepers and TNT. Nobody involved (including the wee free men) loses anything by his bannination.

Ban badly behaved children, but don't make it a gated community?

That said, I'll keep going regardless. I feel like I'm not too far away from finishing Bowler's Green (I'm going to stop at 200x200, actually) and after that, I can get started on Mordor!

--Gana

Yeah, I think being a reputable forum member should count for getting privileges. I mean, what kind of griefer is going to go through all the trouble of establishing himself just to be a dick?

In other news. Narnia is finished! Cake in the ballroom!

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

Hey. I'd like to get whitelisted as well. I'm not really active in the fora (I mostly hang out on IRC), so I understand if you can't vouch for me.
she/her

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

NieXS wrote:Hey. I'd like to get whitelisted as well. I'm not really active in the fora (I mostly hang out on IRC), so I understand if you can't vouch for me.

I'd vouch. Seemed well behaved enough on phlip's and keo's servers, I do believe.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

nacmacfeegle

Postby nacmacfeegle » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:16 am UTC

Hey, can i get whitelisted?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:57 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:So yeah, in digging through the log, the last players to connect before the Griefing reports started showing up in the textchat are nacmacfeegle, weirdscott, and Cazador0.

Cazador0 and weirdscott have been on the server before. And alone before. Still wouldn't mind talking to Cazador0 about it, though. Not making an accusation, just pointing out the facts as I find them.

(ProTip : Even if you're alone, if you see something strange, talk about it in chat. I can read it later)

Oh, the whitelist is up again.

I'm Cazador0 btw. I've been keeping to myself somewhere over the seas north of spawn.

edit: I'd like to be added to the whitelist, please.

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:38 am UTC

Yeah, the problem with whitelisting is that random forum lurkers can't join the server and just look around - that's what I did when I found out that here was minecraft server.

<blag>I've been mostly just wandering around, admiring others wonderful work and all the buildings, minecart system, the botanic garden etc.. I've mostly played MC on singleplayer always and never been in a world this "full". Even showed this server to my girlfriend (who also plays) and we both were just wandering around gasping to everything we saw :D

After playing randomly for a week or so I found empty areas near the gigantic lava stairs, to the right from them (when facing the snowy areas) there was a huge lake with couple of islands. Started building on one of them after making sure there were no buildings near.. </blag>

Maybe blalobw could vouch for me? I helped him doing some science with the nether portals, breaking the portal when he entered it while observing the results etc.. He gave me some diamond tools as a pay for helping him, that I still use. (shame that our testing failed as the portal was protected..)

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:25 am UTC

Yeah, I'll vouch for Cadiac and as an established forum member Cazador0 shold probably be given a pretty strong presumption of innocence. (Especially as we have pretty strong circumstancial evidence against someone else.)

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:07 pm UTC

I'd like to be whitelisted, but I don't know that anyone would vouch for me...
I used to play on Keozen's FaiD server, though.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

I think anyone on the FaiDcraft server is going to be OK... we haven't had any problems with griefing there (well, one or two scares but those turned out to be mistakes rather than malicious). I don't know how many of them would play on this server, but I think some might (vis: Dthen) and I don't think there's any harm in just copying the whole list over.

I'll PM you the list if you're interested.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

The server is down, I sent SecondTalon a PM.

EDIT: The server is back up! Life is Good.
Last edited by blalobw on Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Predator_freeman

Postby Predator_freeman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

I agree with blalo for cadiac, he seemed like a decent guy when i met him. Btw any1 else noticed loads of new people have started gaining attention for the server right after it got griefed

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

(Regarding SexyTalon's Server) The png map that's linked in the first post is updated!

I saved the first two map updates, didn't have the sense to save the third (assuming the one that was up 48 hours ago was the third), but I've got this one.
I'm excited at the time-lapse history-recording opportunities this gives; this is gonna be neat.

So eventually we'll probably get this map uploaded to something that allows us to tag it with names for places. When this occurs, people will, of course, name their own places.

We also need a name for:

1) The server world. We can keep calling it "ST's Server" or "Rippy's Map" or sommat, but these aren't really good world names. I think I saw someone use a name like Xkdia, but farked if I can find it in the forum now.

2) The Spawn-area megalopalis. A town deserves a name, right? We can just call it "spawntown", but that's boring. I don't have good suggestions, since I don't live there. I sometimes call it "Great Zero" (as an Uru geek.) Otherwise, I just refer to it as Narnia.

Other than that, people either gots to name their own places or take a chance on being named. ^_^

Incidentally, who built the newbie hut at spawn area?

PS, for the Psion server: X:200, Z:9325. A dungeon with a saddle and some moss stone.
Last edited by Feylias on Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Predator_freeman

Postby Predator_freeman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

Guys did u know that white hat bolevard got griefed?

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

to whoever built grand central i think i fixed the cart returner. i used hatch instead of a door which stops the cart then when you get out a pressure pad is hit opening the hatch and letting that cart go to the stack. if this upsets the maker of grandcentral i can change it back but i think this looks abetter and it works.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

Predator_freeman wrote:Guys did u know that white hat bolevard got griefed?

I'm pretty sure that's an error from when the server took a big crash a few weeks back and the whole spawn area got wiped. Leastways, it was like that when the server came back up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

Or lightning hit it. Wood burns.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

but then all of the boulevard would begone right?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

I say we call it Map with Narnia on It and the town Town Slightly to the West of Narnia.

Look, I have a creative writing degree. Trust my judgement that is in no way bias at all. :wink:

I could've sworn there was a way to leverage google maps ap to any old thing you wanted to do. Of course, trying to find anything these days is near impossible because you get twenty billion hits for just basic annotation of google maps. Ugh. :x

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:44 pm UTC

I'd like to keep the original name for my territory as the land of weirdscott. I am wondering when the whitelist will be updated. I feel like most people on the whitelist can vouch for me and I do not leave my section of the map often. When I do I usually go visit the area of scal/lava wall/monkey.
I kinda need my SMP fix and want to add to my expanding compound.
I have a new plan of creating a large underground system to connect my underground systems and make a biome down there. It will probably be a forest.
these are words
type, type, type

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:46 pm UTC

Amishdemon wrote:but then all of the boulevard would begone right?

The rain puts out the fire, eventually. Also, fire got nerfed.

Combining the two makes it more likely to me that it was lightning and not a griefer, as a greifer would have probably finished the job.

Re: Whitelist.

Should be updated as of yesterday with the following which I should probably alphabetize before it becomes a headache to do so.

Spoiler:
cadiac
chibbell
amishdmeon
mr_roosevelt
ganalef
wierdscott
xanthir
antiorb
fouriuosman
nbonaparte
secondtalon
blalobw
scallel
thecommabandit
predator_freeman
theamazingrando
swordbreaker
jahoclave
mieulium
magnanimous_xkcd
themonkey1000

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:No...?

The pistons in the mod can launch TNT, sand, and gravel, features which don't seem to have been (or planned to be) added.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:52 pm UTC

Spoiler:
amishdmeon
antiorb
blalobw
cadiac
chibbell
fouriuosman
ganalef
jahoclave
magnanimous_xkcd
mieulium
mr_roosevelt
nbonaparte
predator_freeman
scallel
SexyTalon
swordbreaker
theamazingrando
thecommabandit
themonkey1000
wierdscott
xanthir

There you go Talon.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

Still not whitelisted, I see. :(

ShootTheChicken
Best. Cheerleader. Ever.

Postby ShootTheChicken » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

Hello friends,

I've been lurking the forums for awhile, then I registered, then I lurked, and now I'm posting. I'd love to get in on this Minecraft-party but have no way to be vouched for. Is there a way I could go on with super limited privileges for awhile until people trust me or something like that? Let me know if it is/isn't possible.

Cheers.
SecondTalon wrote:the Hot Freshness of Wicked Classic.

Return to “Gaming”