Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

_infina_

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:12 am UTC

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:16 am UTC

Mind=blown. :shock:
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:42 am UTC

Please, server, come back up! The weekend will be too busy! ;_;

Jaho, what are you and Scallel doing that would need flint and steel? Lighting lots of netherrack? Or making moar portals?

I've been playing in single player with the idea of a castle made of ice. Alas, ice is pernickety. If there is a block of ANY sort at ANY height above the water spring, it will not freeze. ..I think. More testing, but so far.

Incidentally, I think the nerfing of fire has some huge consequences. Cotton, separated from lava by only one square (whether that square is transparent or opaque) just isn't catching.

Adjacent, diagonally adjacent, one space away and one space up will catch. The rest I'm still working on.

It may be that wood is more flammable than wool.
Attachments
2011-06-30_17.47.03.png
Wool next to glass next to lava. Friends forever.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Well, if tnt requires fire to light, well, fire! It's not like we don't have a ridiculous amount of iron.

Edit: I feel like I should find some sort of good single player mod to play while the server is down. But then I got a ridiculous amount of actual academic work done today. Well, in terms of reading stuff. Shit if I got anything written on the three different projects I need to get done. By I did find out I got a 98% on my critical theory final. Good ole Marxism, it's damn near system breaking in English departments.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:38 am UTC

So, something I read a long time ago, and have been remembering:
Jahoclave wrote:Chain world--a very interesting minecraft idea.

Also:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2011/03/07/minecraft-religion-gdc/
http://www.geekosystem.com/chain-world-minecraft-as-religion/

I've stayed fascinated by the idea, and considered trying to start something like this up. ...Of course, given an opportunity to work on my projects in ST's server, I'd probably work on Fiddler's Green, but life and Murphy's daemon assure that there's a 50% chance it'll be down at any given moment.

So, wanna do this? Read the rules and send me a private message me if you're interested:
Spoiler:
- Only people who have posted SOMETHING in the XKCD Echochamber prior to today are eligible. And, specifically, I do not refer to little blue kleptomaniacs or anyone who has been blacklisted anywhere that I know about. The goal is for this to be an XKCD-forumite thing, after all.
- If we have at least four people who are interested in playing, I'll randomly select (using a fair dice roll) the order of players.
- The first player will select the world (seed "xkcd") on HARD mode, without using any mods, editors, or F3 (debug is not part of the game.) When the first player has died, has been playing the map for a month, or has some other reason that they have to stop (whichever comes first), they'll immediately save, give me the save file, and I'll pass it to the next player. (This way, I have a backup at each step if something goes wrong.)
- I'll be last on the list, at which point everyone will get a second shot at the map in reverse order (so that he who was first will be last, and everyone can get a feel for seeing unexplained stuff.)

..and when that's done, we can decide what to do from there. Perhaps just post the map for anyone who wants to view, perhaps continue or even invite new players.

Rules: Don't discuss what you're doing/did in this game online until all players have finished.
That includes keeping it a secret from forumites that you're participating. You can tell your stories, if you (like me) have the urge to open a <blag> tag in here, after the whole thing's done.
Don't use text on signs (or anywhere) in the game.

These should preserve maximum mystery. This is all honor system, and isn't quite the attempt at 'religion' that Chain World is trying to be, but, well, it'll be cool in it's own way.

I'll look for private messages until July 11th.

Edit: If someone misses the first round but wants to play and qualifies, I think it's not unlikely that we'll let them in for the second round, so even if you missed the arbitrary deadline go ahead and PM.
Edit 2: Removed some spurious stuff.
Last edited by Feylias on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:24 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am UTC

Pistons don't play nicely with railways :(
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

Trial and error has brought me to the halfway point in making a piston lift. I'm starting to get headaches from all the redstone circuitry I'm working out... first I made a button that powers a circuit which remains infinitely, then I made another button that stops that circuit, and then I can't remember why I did all that. But it was really, really important.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

That sounds like the infinite circuit powers the elevator, and then the other button is the brake for when you get to the floor you want to be on.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 pm UTC

First attempt at redstone, I want to power a row of pistons.. I don't know if I'm just being stupid, but it seems way more difficult than I would have thought.
Here's what I came up with:

2011-07-01_22.02.18.png

Like I say, I feel there should be an easier/smaller way of doing this.. so, what am I missing?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:17 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:That sounds like the infinite circuit powers the elevator, and then the other button is the brake for when you get to the floor you want to be on.

That's not right, but...

I DID IT! I MADE A BLOODY COMPLEX CIRCUIT!

It's a 2 piston-high elevator, which doesn't seem too impressive, but it forms the basis for every piston elevator that will ever be made. Ever. One button makes them go up, one button makes them go down. Sure, the buttons are in awkward positions right now, but that can easily be changed when I make one that's made to actually function :D

To give you a rough idea, one button leads to a couple of repeaters of both kinds to make the pistons go up. There is a branch coming off this one at the start that leads to a weird redstone/repeater circuit I made by accident that creates perma-power. This perma-power is used to keep the Pistons in position, using repeaters.

Then there's a button which just cancels this perma-power, which resets the whole thing to the bottom. This is how you go down.

I'll try and post screenies, but I'm not sure how... PrintScreen never seems to work, and I can never find the F2 files...

Most of the challenge was due to the confined space I was working in. I really should have picked a better position (like in the sky, where I do everything else, and won't get jammed on an edge by my cane-farm pipes...).

Edit: added a load of pics. Not exactly sure what anyone can glean from them, though :P

Edit 2: By the way, this was done entirely without InvEdit/mods/cheats of any kind. Just so you know.
Attachments
BLECH 4.png
BLECH 3.png
BLECH.png
BLECH 2.png
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote: I can't find the F2 files...

They're in %appdata%/.minecraft/screenshots if you're on windows. I expect it's something similar if you're on a mac

EDIT: It seems you found them. So, uhh, disregard.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

Windowlicker wrote:First attempt at redstone, I want to power a row of pistons.. I don't know if I'm just being stupid, but it seems way more difficult than I would have thought.
Here's what I came up with:

2011-07-01_22.02.18.png

Like I say, I feel there should be an easier/smaller way of doing this.. so, what am I missing?

That looks... pretty simple. That's fine.

Although you might want to consider having it on loop - you can do that by making this and then connecting it to your circuit. Remember to put that repeater on a reasonably long delay, or the torch'll burn out.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Well, if tnt requires fire to light, well, fire! It's not like we don't have a ridiculous amount of iron.

Edit: I feel like I should find some sort of good single player mod to play while the server is down. But then I got a ridiculous amount of actual academic work done today. Well, in terms of reading stuff. Shit if I got anything written on the three different projects I need to get done. By I did find out I got a 98% on my critical theory final. Good ole Marxism, it's damn near system breaking in English departments.

I am simultaneously enjoying:
Spoiler:
Hardcore: Die and I have to start over, and I'm on hard mode.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/231689-surv-floating-islands-survival-31-5000dls/page__hl__%22floating+island+survival%22
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/142280-surv-adrift-challenge-map/
and
Peaceful:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/247744-puzmyst-craft-v75-tex-includes-ages-4000-dls/page__hl__myst

I previously enjoyed playing Freeport (more story based) and "Constant Eclipse" (which is currently broken due to changes in Minecraft Code)

Regarding fire, some trivia (since you're the master of Narnia and the fount of lava and water: I made a 3x3 cube of cotton with lava in the middle, and it hasn't burnt yet. As soon as I knock a corner off the cube, it catches fire immediately.
My hypothesis is that fire (which must attach itself to a plane, and is not actually something that takes up space) can only jump to an adjacent plane now. This is uber-nerfed. I can no longer create fuses.

And, it looks like SexyTalon's server is giving me a "outdated client" error instead of a timeout. ...but on my updated desktop instal, it's still giving me the timeout. :/
It may be down on purpose, what with all the "free everything" exploits currently available. If so, I hope the bugfix comes out soonest. :/

...In other news, I have spent nearly an hour trying to figure out the recipe for shears using flints, ingots, poles, and planks. When I finally got it (by accident) I was annoyed. It's not intuitive at ALL!
Edit: Deleted a stupid emoticon that got auto-added. I hate cartoony emoticons.
Last edited by Feylias on Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 am UTC

Been playing around with redstone myself. After a couple hours I've managed to master the basic mechanics of hidden panels.

Because pistons can only extend one block, and because a two sticky pisons in sequence will pull themselves, but not the block on the end of the second piston, getting a perfectly flat section of wall or floor to retract into a viable passage is a little tricky. In the end what you need to do is start with a continually powered, and thus extended set of 2 or more sticky pistons, holding out a set of blocks flush with the wall or floor.

Next, you need 2 sticky pistons for every single one you had in the previous step, set up perpendicular to the originals, also continually powered. These need to be on a brief delay in the power circuit from the original pistons.

Throw the switch, power cuts to the first series of pistons, retracting 1 block deep into the wall or floor. Half a second later, the second set of pistons loses power, retracting both the blocks, and the original pistons into the walls or celing of your secret passage.

[W] = wall
[B] = the moving blocks
[P] = the base piston
[- or |] = the extended portion of the piston

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

default state:

WWBBWW
P|--|P
P|PP|P

1st action:

WW  WW
P|BB|P
P|PP|P

2nd action:

WW  WW
PB  BP
PP  PP

Put the power back on, the second pistons replace the first ones, which then gain power and replace the wall blocks. Works perfectly in both directions.

Now, finding the space for the redstone circuits is another matter entirely. The inability to isolate crossing lines or even run two lines in parallel just takes up so much space.

I think my next project is going to be some kind of massive transforming fort. One switch turns a plain looking cliff face into a fortress with windows, entrance, fountains and moat. I have a feeling the redstone circuitry required is going to rival the fortress itself for size.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:06 am UTC

Well, good to know with the fire thing, but I don't believe I'm going to replace the sandstone with wood.

Oh god! Not Myst!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:58 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Trial and error has brought me to the halfway point in making a piston lift. I'm starting to get headaches from all the redstone circuitry I'm working out... first I made a button that powers a circuit which remains infinitely, then I made another button that stops that circuit, and then I can't remember why I did all that. But it was really, really important.

In case you're looking for ways to simplify that circuit, it's called a T Flip-flop, and that link has several more designs.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:Trial and error has brought me to the halfway point in making a piston lift. I'm starting to get headaches from all the redstone circuitry I'm working out... first I made a button that powers a circuit which remains infinitely, then I made another button that stops that circuit, and then I can't remember why I did all that. But it was really, really important.

In case you're looking for ways to simplify that circuit, it's called a T Flip-flop, and that link has several more designs.

Yeah, I actually discovered that just recently... I'm going to move to a better place to make my refined version with 6 pistons. Reasoning behind having 6 and not 13 is that if I had 13, the shaft would look horrifying - I'm just going to cover the pistons with 6 sand/gravel blocks to make the shaft OK.

Kirby

Postby Kirby » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:12 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Stuff about hidden panels

Thanks for that post. Inspired me to make my own hidden panel. (Dirt, I know - I had a lot of it in my inventory at the time).

Spoiler'd because it's a little image heavy
Spoiler:
2011-07-02_12.44.12.png

The panel, when it's open. Getting the 3x2 design took some fiddling, but I got it to work :D

2011-07-02_12.44.19.png

Side view of the pistons. When the lever(not shown) is activated, this piston and the block of dirt to the left will be pushed inwards (towards the camera). The pistons in the middle now activate and push the dirt flush with the outside wall.

2011-07-02_12.45.01.png

Overview of the redstone circuitry. There's connections for the bottom group of pistons underground, and connections for the top two layers above ground.

2011-07-02_12.45.46.png

The pistons, when activated.

2011-07-02_12.46.36.png

This shows the general strategy for powering the torches. Now that redstone directs itself towards repeaters, this is a lot simpler. There's a mirror image of this on the other side, and a similar setup in the middle.

2011-07-02_13.04.40.png

The wiring to the upper levels. Because of the way we wired the bottom, we need the inverter there to keep the pistons doing the same thing. The repeater at the bottom adds a slight delay to both wire lines before it splits.

NOTE: you may notice this is a slight change in wiring from the overview diagram above. The old design didn't delay the upper middle pistons enough, so they were moving faster than they should have. This fixes that problem.

2011-07-02_12.47.17.png

Connection to the upper two side pistons. For some reason, it powers both the upper two pistons. I believe it works as follows: the repeater powers the piston directly in front of it, and the block of dirt that it sits on. That block of dirt is adjacent to a piston, so the piston below gets power, too.

2011-07-02_12.47.21.png

Lastly, connection to the upper two middle pistons. This one was a little tricky, since I couldn't have the redstone any closer to the pistons without powering them unintentionally.

2011-07-02_13.04.10.png

The panel as it's opening. There's a weird shadow there, that appears for a split second while it's moving.

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:12 pm UTC

"Eloquently Blunt"

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

I love the idea of using it as a mob grinder.

Actually, as a mob grinder, though, to give them time to spawn and then time to burn to death, maybe something like a moving sheet of opaque blocks and glass? Like the nine minute mark of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6spHvGPtQ

...and integrating a timed water gate to wash the goodies into a collection slot.

...though I'm still trying to perfect hidden wires that allow me to hit a button near the inside of my front door and auto-kill the lurkers outside it so I don't have to use my back door. Advanced redstone user Я not me.

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:28 pm UTC

Wow, that movie is amazing. Basically his big engine at the end is how my shutter works, it is a loop of glass and cobble blocks that line up to either hide or expose the sunlight. I will have to incorporate his 4clock design into my next attempt. The only issue is to get it to stop after the correct amount of steps.
"Eloquently Blunt"

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:37 pm UTC

That's fucking amazing. I love pistons.
Ⓞⓞ◯

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:40 pm UTC

Making the elevator is a massive headache... I've half made it but I think I've made some horrible mistake, because it doesn't work properly. At all.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:

I love the idea of using it as a mob grinder.

Actually, as a mob grinder, though, to give them time to spawn and then time to burn to death, maybe something like a moving sheet of opaque blocks and glass? Like the nine minute mark of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc6spHvGPtQ

...and integrating a timed water gate to wash the goodies into a collection slot.

...though I'm still trying to perfect hidden wires that allow me to hit a button near the inside of my front door and auto-kill the lurkers outside it so I don't have to use my back door. Advanced redstone user Я not me.

Holy crap I hadn't even considered the implications of pistons which that video raises. The ability to make a stable fast pulsing system immune to torch burnout alone, but the multiple output alternating pulses.... o_O This is going to work wonders for my chu-ko-nu trap system.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:21 am UTC

I do like the idea of pistons rising from the ground, hulksmashing, then going back down.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:24 am UTC

Whitelist Updated!

Sorry to all about the delay, The command referance I was using was outdated and I didn't know there were in-game commands to manage whitelisting.

amishdmeon
 antiorb
 blalobw
 cadiac
 cazador0
 chibbell
 Dthen
 Expotential
 fouriuosman
 ganalef
 Gatchaman
 _infina_
 jahoclave
 logansch
 magnanimous_xkcd
 mieulium
 mr_roosevelt
 nbonaparte
 NieXS
 predator_freeman
 SCALLEL
 SecondTalon
 surgicalsteel
 swordbreaker
 stanley1996
 theamazingrando
 thecommabandit
 themonkey1000
 walkerm930
 wierdscott
 xanthir

If I've misspelled your name sorry, let me know and I'll fix it pronto.

Have Fun!
Last edited by blalobw on Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:49 am UTC

Ahem. My name is capitalized. Capital S. Scallel. That is all good sir blal. Btw you are the player of the month.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:06 am UTC

More pistons for your pleasure, a 3x3 iris door.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUckmxd6brg

Also, could I get on the whitelist? Username is Gorbash84. Infina, nbon, magnanimous, and dthen can vouch for me. We used to play together on infina's server.

What is the address for the server again?
"Eloquently Blunt"

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 am UTC

Hmm...

I'm having trouble getting onto any server that's been listed in this thread. The connection always times out.
Can anyone help? Thanks :D
:shock:

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:40 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Also, for those who have updated, pistons apparently dupe EVERYTHING if used in a certain way: http://i.imgur.com/Ld4Pm.jpg
WhoahYaranaika?

I built one to see it in action. Now you can too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8H1s4XPpbM
"Eloquently Blunt"

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:03 am UTC

blalobw wrote:Whitelist Updated!

Um, does that mean it's up? If so, has it been upgraded to the newest version? 'cos I'm not getting on at 1.66 or on 1.7x.

And, er, I check about once every hour, see.

cjdrum

Postby cjdrum » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:23 am UTC

Bhelliom wrote:
Feylias wrote:Also, for those who have updated, pistons apparently dupe EVERYTHING if used in a certain way: http://i.imgur.com/Ld4Pm.jpg
WhoahYaranaika?

I built one to see it in action. Now you can too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8H1s4XPpbM

Practical Application #1: Duplicate Pistons
Practical Application #2: Duplicate Sticky Pistons
Practical Application #3: Duplicate Diamond Ore
etc., etc., etc.
:shock:

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:58 am UTC

Impractical Application #1: Duplicate TNT

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Eheu

Postby Eheu » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

Would it be possible for me to get on the server whitelist? Not sure if this is the right place to ask over a PM or whatever, but I'm not even sure of the IP of the server most folks here seem to be using. The name I'm under for Minecraft is 137_036 (quite possibly the nerdiest name I've ever used. >>).

I got this game a few days back, now, and so far I've loved it -- indulging my enjoyment of building impractical projects without the Fridge (and not-so-Fridge) Horror and micromanagement of Dwarf Fortress. Starting my first 'proper' game on a desert shore with one tree visible anywhere, punching that down and making it into a boat in which I sailed off in no particular direction, getting shipwrecked in a taiga, was pretty damn entertaining, even before I started building. Multiplayer was more so; even if you're building in completely opposite directions, co-operating or just bouncing ideas around is wholly too much fun. :P

I need to figure out redstone circuitry at some point, really: everything's improved with logic gates!
Minecraft: 137_036

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:10 pm UTC

Used the pulsing piston transistors from that video and let me tell you, it's a fantastic improvement over traditional redstone torch pulsing. Delivers a really fast signal but is completely stable with no risk of burnout. It really makes my cho-ko-nu traps pump out enough arrows enough to kill someone even on a peaceful server.

Only problem in using pistons this way; The noise! It's like someone running a jackhammer *L* It's not so bad for use in my traps where it only runs for the (brief) lifespan of the victim, but I can't imagine running one of these constantlly anywhere near a populated area, the din would be unbearable o_O. I'd really like to see the volume of pistons cut in half or so in a future patch.

Interestingly, what's actually pretty difficult to engineer using pistons is self-activated pit traps. Easy as hell to make from a remote source, it's impossible to power properly with the pressure plate essentially sitting on the piston. I think the solution might be to abuse the new "when encased in a solid object, a person is shunted to he nearest open space" rules.

Essentially, have two pistons extend from the walls over the pressure plate, smashing the victim and forcing him one block forward, where the floor blocks have been pulled aside to reveal a pit. Pit pistons would need to be on a slight delay tho.

Spoiler:

[W] = wall
[F] = floor
[B] = the moving blocks
[P] = the base piston
[T] = trigger plates
[- or |] = the extended portion of the piston

At rest:
WWFFWW
WWFFWW
P|BB|P
PBTTBP
PBFFBP

triggered:
WWFFWW
WWFFWW
PB  BP
P|BB|P
P|BB|P

horizontal view of the triggering slice:

PB  BP    P|BB|P
WW  WW -> WW  WW
WWTTWW    WWTTWW

horizontal view of the pit slice:

WW  WW    WW  WW
WW  WW -> WW  WW
P|BB|P    PB  BP

Why is it ideas for new builds always come to me at work? Curses.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Eheu wrote:Would it be possible for me to get on the server whitelist? Not sure if this is the right place to ask over a PM or whatever, but I'm not even sure of the IP of the server most folks here seem to be using. The name I'm under for Minecraft is 137_036 (quite possibly the nerdiest name I've ever used. >>).

Right now, I believe the way you get on is you PM Talon or blalobw (I recommend the latter; I think Talon's extremely busy lately) with someone to vouch for you. I suggest skimming the forum, too; valuable information. Especially early on, in the first few posts.

Getting someone to vouch might be hard. Perhaps we can also allow people who have been in the forums for a while and have a history/a reputation to lose? It could backfire, but...

Incidentally, I'm not smart enough to figure out what the name 137_036's nerd meaning is. Let_oeg? ...well, but "137_036" is a pretty nice snow-biome seed. I spawned at roughly -11/77, and there was a cave network right under me with three openings to the surface, some iron, and some mossy cobblestone that made hissing spider sounds. It's not quite "gargamel" or "3666440496532277820", but it's cool.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

Eheu wrote:Would it be possible for me to get on the server whitelist? Not sure if this is the right place to ask over a PM or whatever, but I'm not even sure of the IP of the server most folks here seem to be using. The name I'm under for Minecraft is 137_036 (quite possibly the nerdiest name I've ever used. >>).

Until we get some good anti-griefing plugins installed and tested we unfortunatly have to be a bit selective about letting folks on, sorry. Pretty much we're limiting it to folks who have been on the server a while, or who have been on the forums a while, or folks who are vouched for by someone from either of the first two groups.

Sorry about that, I know how hard it is to find a good server that's open to newcomers.

Eheu wrote:I got this game a few days back, now, and so far I've loved it -- indulging my enjoyment of building impractical projects without the Fridge (and not-so-Fridge) Horror and micromanagement of Dwarf Fortress. Starting my first 'proper' game on a desert shore with one tree visible anywhere, punching that down and making it into a boat in which I sailed off in no particular direction, getting shipwrecked in a taiga, was pretty damn entertaining, even before I started building. Multiplayer was more so; even if you're building in completely opposite directions, co-operating or just bouncing ideas around is wholly too much fun. :P

I need to figure out redstone circuitry at some point, really: everything's improved with logic gates!

My first night in Minecraft was spent in a little hole I had punched with my fists halfway up a mountain. It was facing west, so it looked like the stars were falling and not knowing any better I thought falling from the sky as lights was how monsters came to the world. I was petrified.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

A pressure-plate activated sand trap would be relatively simple though.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:50 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
blalobw wrote:Whitelist Updated!

Um, does that mean it's up? If so, has it been upgraded to the newest version? 'cos I'm not getting on at 1.66 or on 1.7x.

And, er, I check about once every hour, see.

Yes, it's been up for a while now, running 1.7.2 I don't know what's going on, but given my lousy connection if I can get on anybody should be able to.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:A pressure-plate activated sand trap would be relatively simple though.

Aye but that wouldn't reset itself, which is the real beauty of piston based traps.

Return to “Gaming”