Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

reuben364

Re: Minecraft

Postby reuben364 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:04 am UTC

With the piston dupe glitch, does anybody it would be possible to create a Von Neumann machine?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:30 am UTC

reuben364 wrote:With the piston dupe glitch, does anybody it would be possible to create a Von Neumann machine?

... Whoa. I have no idea.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:05 am UTC

You can't duplicate blocks with redstone on them, so no.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:08 am UTC

But can you push the redstone dust itself around? I know you can push tracks around, with horizontal pistons (but not vertical ones, since pistons don't count as a solid surface to place the rail on)...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

psion

Postby psion » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:17 am UTC

Nope. Redstone breaks when you push it or the block it's resting on.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:57 am UTC

Yeah, it was really disappointing. A little more disappointing when moving redstone broke your world, though.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

HarmoniousMembrane

RE: Minecraft

Postby HarmoniousMembrane » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

My friend has got a server running and is looking for new members, would this be the correct place to post this?
If anyone wants to join, PM me and I'll tell them the IP (I don't want to put it public)
Thanks.

EDIT: probably should have mentioned that we're UK based, so on GMT (DST to be pedantic).
Last edited by HarmoniousMembrane on Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:27 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

Also, you can't push cake. I was going to have fields of cake.

I would have to say mining machines with tnt are vaguely amusing.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:16 pm UTC

They've apparently fixed it now, so... yeah.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:They've apparently fixed it now, so... yeah.

Eh, I was already bored. But I did learn a lot about redstone mechanics in the process of making the candy shop. So it had its uses. I wish it could do more things that I found interesting so I'd have more need to use it.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:They've apparently fixed it now, so... yeah.

Eh, I was already bored. But I did learn a lot about redstone mechanics in the process of making the candy shop. So it had its uses. I wish it could do more things that I found interesting so I'd have more need to use it.

Pistons are what got me into redstone - I've made a wheat farm, a cane farm, a door and a half-elevator with it so far. Don't ignore it, it can be awesome :D

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:15 am UTC

I find using pistons can be more fun if you start thinking cinematically. Sure you can just have all the blocks of a hidden panel retract at once, but with some easy redstone repeaters you can create a much more interesting looking mechanic.

Something I did for fun: Wormsign! Just dig up a section of desert and put a long series of normal pistons under it and a redstone charge that activates them in sequence, voila, you have a huge undulating section of desert -_^ Sadly, you can't ride it.

Also made a fun in-wall / in celing lightning system that illuminates a lot better than redstone torches. Just put glass sections in the wall or celing with lava such that the souce block will flow one square to the other side of the glass. Then a piston system to inject a solid block between the glass and the lava source block. At the flick of a switch the blocks retract and lava flows behind the glass, providing lighting. Works on virtually any scale in walls, celings, or even floors. If I can put together enough sticky pistons once I get back in Psion's server, I'm thinking of doing a whole hallway.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

psion

Postby psion » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:44 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Something I did for fun: Wormsign!

Nice. Adventure mode Arrakis?

By the way, I have slime balls in the customs office thing by the spawn.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:47 am UTC

psion wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:Something I did for fun: Wormsign!

Nice. Adventure mode Arrakis?

By the way, I have slime balls in the customs office thing by the spawn.

Hot damn. Thanks dude.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:40 am UTC

Well I do need to complete my massive pit. Finally got some light down into Scallel's massive caverns of darkness that he made for some reason. And I think I've finally taken care of that large lava deposit.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Yea, I came across that while walking from spawn to my house in the woods and was wondering what the hell somebody was doing, haha. I figured it was some kind of quarry or the start of a mob farm.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:38 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Yea, I came across that while walking from spawn to my house in the woods and was wondering what the hell somebody was doing, haha. I figured it was some kind of quarry or the start of a mob farm.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's the same place unless your house is way, way, way, way, way out in the woods.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Yea, I came across that while walking from spawn to my house in the woods and was wondering what the hell somebody was doing, haha. I figured it was some kind of quarry or the start of a mob farm.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's the same place unless your house is way, way, way, way, way out in the woods.

it may have been my pit to the center of earth.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:19 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:

it may have been my pit to the center of earth.

Yeah, I have one of those past Narnia too.

No, this pit is visible from space. Has a water elevator, and a danger ring. And then whatever the hell scallel was doing outside of that with his booms. Let's just say, a lot of rock has been removed.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:43 am UTC

Oh, maybe it isn't the same pit then. There's a rather large pit west of ST's airship and before you get to the large fortress looking thing with stairs going down the sides (the pit has stairs, not the fortress). That's the one I was talking about.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:I find using pistons can be more fun if you start thinking cinematically. Sure you can just have all the blocks of a hidden panel retract at once, but with some easy redstone repeaters you can create a much more interesting looking mechanic.

Something I did for fun: Wormsign! Just dig up a section of desert and put a long series of normal pistons under it and a redstone charge that activates them in sequence, voila, you have a huge undulating section of desert -_^ Sadly, you can't ride it.

Also made a fun in-wall / in celing lightning system that illuminates a lot better than redstone torches. Just put glass sections in the wall or celing with lava such that the souce block will flow one square to the other side of the glass. Then a piston system to inject a solid block between the glass and the lava source block. At the flick of a switch the blocks retract and lava flows behind the glass, providing lighting. Works on virtually any scale in walls, celings, or even floors. If I can put together enough sticky pistons once I get back in Psion's server, I'm thinking of doing a whole hallway.

I've always wanted to make a room where you just walk across a corridor that has pistons removing the walls in front of you, and when you get to the end you're in a pitch-black room, which suddenly gets filled with light (like in those warehouses)

Edit:And I've asked before, but no one's responded - can you whitelist me for the server, please? MineCraft name's 'Ulharvutha'.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

I really need to stop coming to these forums when looking for entertainment... 2 sleepless nights into minecraft, and I have pretty much destroyed 2 mountains. One was standing in the way of what I decided should be a ridiculous 12 by whatever strip mine
Spoiler:
with a 2x2 square at each level, connected such that there is a two wide staircase winding back and forth down from the top, currently goes down either 6 or 7 switches, so 36 or 42 levels
and one which happened to be where I decided to build a giant obsidian tower, which currently is very, very far from being complete. Any tips on the best way to get lava to the surface? I currently only have 5 buckets, having lost six or so to an accidental lava plunge...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Levi

Postby Levi » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:21 pm UTC

The only thing to do is get more buckets.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

Kain wrote:I really need to stop coming to these forums when looking for entertainment... 2 sleepless nights into minecraft, and I have pretty much destroyed 2 mountains. One was standing in the way of what I decided should be a ridiculous 12 by whatever strip mine
Spoiler:
with a 2x2 square at each level, connected such that there is a two wide staircase winding back and forth down from the top, currently goes down either 6 or 7 switches, so 36 or 42 levels
and one which happened to be where I decided to build a giant obsidian tower, which currently is very, very far from being complete. Any tips on the best way to get lava to the surface? I currently only have 5 buckets, having lost six or so to an accidental lava plunge...

Let's see... maybe instead of carting in buckets, cart in stacks of iron, after all 4 iron makes one bucket, so one stack of iron is 16 buckets. Then, construct, using yet more iron gold and redstone, a massive powered rail system between your lava source and your tower site, bring a couple of storage minecarts, fill the buckets up and then send them off to your site.

alternatively, if you're NOT insane, just bring up enough lava to make a nether portal near your tower site, pop into the nether, collect all the lava you want from six feet away, pop back out, pour into mold.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

Or quench the lava where you find it, and dig it out with a diamond axe pick.

Otherwise, you'll need to be building a water elevator, and twenty odd buckets that you drag there and back every time you want some more lava. (You can get away with walking around with about 28 buckets if you slim the remainder of your inventory down to bare bones (bow, arrows, sword, food, tools and blocks you pretty quickly see that 24 is a lot easier to live with)). Also, when you move a full bucket from your active inventory to the larger inventory, drop (mouse wise) it straight onto an empty bucket, then drop the empty bucket on a full bucket etc. Will speed you up a little.

@Utilitarian: Ghasts don't give you the sads?
Last edited by jestingrabbit on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:20 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Or quench the lava where you find it, and dig it out with a diamond axe.

Otherwise, you'll need to be building a water elevator, and twenty odd buckets that you drag there and back every time you want some more lava. (You can get away with walking around with about 28 buckets if you slim the remainder of your inventory down to bare bones (bow, arrows, sword, food, tools and blocks you pretty quickly see that 24 is a lot easier to live with)). Also, when you move a full bucket from your active inventory to the larger inventory, drop (mouse wise) it straight onto an empty bucket, then drop the empty bucket on a full bucket etc. Will speed you up a little.

@Utilitarian: Ghasts don't give you the sads?

I play mostly on Psion's (peaceful) server. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to build yourself a secure shaft to the shores of a lava lake at any rate, even on a normal server.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:30 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to build yourself a secure shaft to the shores of a lava lake at any rate, even on a normal server.

Its possible to be relatively safe, but with the lag, dodging/being-aware-of fireballs before they throw you into red runny death is hell.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:53 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to build yourself a secure shaft to the shores of a lava lake at any rate, even on a normal server.

Its possible to be relatively safe, but with the lag, dodging/being-aware-of fireballs before they throw you into red runny death is hell.

As always, lag is the deadliest foe.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:52 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:
Spoiler:
Kain wrote:I really need to stop coming to these forums when looking for entertainment... 2 sleepless nights into minecraft, and I have pretty much destroyed 2 mountains. One was standing in the way of what I decided should be a ridiculous 12 by whatever strip mine [spoiler]with a 2x2 square at each level, connected such that there is a two wide staircase winding back and forth down from the top, currently goes down either 6 or 7 switches, so 36 or 42 levels

Let's see... maybe instead of carting in buckets, cart in stacks of iron, after all 4 iron makes one bucket, so one stack of iron is 16 buckets. Then, construct, using yet more iron gold and redstone, a massive powered rail system between your lava source and your tower site, bring a couple of storage minecarts, fill the buckets up and then send them off to your site.

alternatively, if you're NOT insane, just bring up enough lava to make a nether portal near your tower site, pop into the nether, collect all the lava you want from six feet away, pop back out, pour into mold.

I considered that, but seeing as my strategy for dealing with mobs is running away, I have only gone to the nether once (really only built the portal as part of the decoration for the tower...) Did you know that with judicious use of torches, strip mining and bed usage, you can avoid all but the rare spider and creeper spawns? I suppose it also helps to intentionally avoid places where you can hear mobs, which seeing as such caverns wont have much lava isn't a big loss.

I have been meaning to ask: what is the deal with multiplayer survival servers? By which I mean, how fanatical do some people get on their about the appearances of other people's creations? I remember in the alpha a few people had some problems with my views on what constituted a good look for an area...

postscript: I have no idea why, but it appears some of the text in this post is displaying at the wrong size. Sorry, I guess.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax