Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: Minecraft

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Man, sometimes I want to join one of these servers, but every time I see think about how freaking gigantic the projects are, I just go "My little house isn't going to be very interesting" and then return to my server where I'm slowly -- very slowly -- building sort of nifty things. Mostly I just play with redstone.

Really, they don't take all that long. We all think Gana is crazy, and I've half-built a stronghold in two days.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

Wait. So your able to build things with redstone? If so the glorious nation of Helios would be more than wanting of your fine skills. And really it's a lot more of the small things on the server that make it nice and show off xkcd. Yeah we have giant lava walls and a Mordor, but we also have lovely winter abodes and townhouses.
Also Steax, I actually think it'd be awesome if you demolished one or more of the premade houses, I'm only using two, and then made your own house. Your choice though.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:19 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:
Steax wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:Dude, there's already a railway, it's just underground, and needs to be repaired. It'd make me happier if you made your walkway come out of the ground west of the castle and link up with the existing railway. I really don't like the idea of new unprotected entrances to the castle, and the rail line is already linked up to that sky railway.

There's some work that needs to be done linking the railway to spawn, but I'll do that once I get more time.

I'm probably going to connect to that railway, yes. I wasn't able to fully figure out how extensive that network was, and a walkway is a much more scenic route. I'll let the walkway drop to somewhere near your castle, then, and just connect the railway as planned.

So here's how it stands at present:

There's a three-wide tunnel that goes from my castle to Walkerm's house by the bridge. I want to extend this to link up with grand central (it's already most of the way there), and also build a station stop at my castle. About 1/3 of the way towards walkerm's house, there's a junction with the existing, one-wide sky tramway, which is now defunct.

Here's how I envision expansion, in no particular order:
  • Link up with Grand Central.
  • Repair the skyway junction, leaving the skyway one-track for now. Use this to figure out a good switching method.
  • Widen the skyway to three wide and two track, placing a station at the entrance to the floating bowl castle, and Scallel's scary lava fortress, and maybe the sky farm. Most of these sites are defunct.
  • Extend the skyway beyond this, maybe eventually leading to my crying enderman statue far to the south west.
  • Dig some kind of connection, either on the main line or on a spur, to a station stop at the bottom of my stairwell, next to the slime farm
  • Extend the line to the west, and raise it out of the ground to be a sky railway for you.

We can do the last one first if you like. Make sure that your pathway is at least three wide so two carts can pass in opposite directions. I've got a lot of iron and gold we can use for tracks.

Currently, my plan is on having a straight, lit pathway 4 blocks wide, and enough space for expansion if necessary. Seeing your plans, I think the best option is for my skyway to branch somewhere round your castle; the rail lines then merge with the existing CobbleRail (they're already intersecting now), and the pedestrian walkways descend and merge with the old cobble paths near spawn. If we want double lines, I'll extend this to 6 blocks wide. For simplicity, we can dedicate the northern 3 blocks for rail (since it'll integrate with the existing one), and the southern 3 for pedestrians, since we've got neighbors on that side (and you don't want a pedestrian entrance).

In this layout, my in-progress skyway is really just for pedestrian use, and the railway connects to it for better accessibility/expandibility. Since it works this way, we can have stations along the route to allow for branching into different directions.

The entire BrickSkyway, leading from my house, is 500 meters long, but I've got enough to make it 6 blocks wide.

Xerillum wrote:Being serious, I'd be willing to donate some rail for the skyway, steax.

Thank you! This is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. We also pass near your stock exchange/complex, so you're in an easy place if you'd like a connection.

You guys are so last week. I already fixed it! :lol:

Still need to throw down some flip switches are boosters, though. Maybe clean up the tunnels a bit.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:36 am UTC

Scallel wrote:Wait. So your able to build things with redstone? If so the glorious nation of Helios would be more than wanting of your fine skills. And really it's a lot more of the small things on the server that make it nice and show off xkcd. Yeah we have giant lava walls and a Mordor, but we also have lovely winter abodes and townhouses.
Also Steax, I actually think it'd be awesome if you demolished one or more of the premade houses, I'm only using two, and then made your own house. Your choice though.

And a demonstration of what a large amount of dynamite can do to a landscape.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:46 am UTC

Being drunk causes you to loose all your items in strange places.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:35 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Being drunk causes you to loose all your items in strange places.

While I've never been such myself, I would think that being drunk would cause you to ______ in strange places. -.-
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:43 am UTC

Scallel wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Being drunk causes you to loose all your items in strange places.

While I've never been such myself, I would think that being drunk would cause you to ______ in strange places. -.-

So long as you don't mysteriously displace Scallel's stuff or my stuff, you will be ok.

Gana's stuff is fair game :P

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:56 am UTC

Scallel wrote:Gana's stuff is fair game :P
As someone who is far too frequently drunk, if you displace my stuff I'm likely to blame myself. In unrelated news, a bloody mary made with gin instead of vodka is, alas, impaired. As am I. I also just learned that in 1.9 prerelease five (or whatever they're on) you can duplicate lava like water, but with double the sources required. ...and, in futzing around, I've proved that you can cover an INSANE amount of ground with a single water source block. This picture
Spoiler:
2011-10-28_17.59.47.png
Place the blocks, place the water, remove the blocks.
has only one water source block on top. I could keep expanding as long as I cared to. ...maybe a subsequent project. ...with lava, perhaps.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:59 am UTC

I heard that in 1.9 pre 5 you can place water blocks on top of water source blocks. I'm not sure if it's true or just a rumor, but if it isn't, it'll make swimming pools so much easier.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:00 am UTC

Feylias wrote:I also just learned that in 1.9 prerelease five (or whatever they're on) you can duplicate lava like water, but with double the sources required.
I don't know how to feel about this. Yay, obviously, but I actually liked it better when you had to transport lava yourself. At least you need four lava, so it's not as cheap as water.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:09 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
Scallel wrote:Gana's stuff is fair game :P
As someone who is far too frequently drunk, if you displace my stuff I'm likely to blame myself.

No worries. I'm sure your stuff is same from all but the endermen.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:28 am UTC

So, I have chickenpox. This means nothing but sleeping, eating and minecraft. WOO!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:32 am UTC

Yes but you're not a child I presume, which means it's supposed to be pretty bad.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:06 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Feylias wrote:I also just learned that in 1.9 prerelease five (or whatever they're on) you can duplicate lava like water, but with double the sources required.
I don't know how to feel about this. Yay, obviously, but I actually liked it better when you had to transport lava yourself. At least you need four lava, so it's not as cheap as water.

I imagine it still moves slower, therefor doesn't replenish as quickly.
Hm... I guess I'll feel less anxious about destroying lava pools instead of moving them out bucket by bucket.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:24 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:Yes but you're not a child I presume, which means it's supposed to be pretty bad.

Wikipedia makes me feel like I'll die, with all the "higher fatalities" and stuff. I oddly feel perfectly fine, aside from some minor itching.

That said, I'll check one last time: does anyone know who owns the facilities just west of spawn? There's a cobblestone path, a few houses, and some mystery redstone wiring. I'd like to negotiate a building plan for the skyway so it descends gracefully. If I can't find the owner, I'll just merge it into the cobblestone path already there.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:26 am UTC

Why would you feel anxious about that? It's not like there isn't an essentially unlimited supply of it near bedrock.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:56 am UTC

Steax wrote:That said, I'll check one last time: does anyone know who owns the facilities just west of spawn? There's a cobblestone path, a few houses, and some mystery redstone wiring. I'd like to negotiate a building plan for the skyway so it descends gracefully. If I can't find the owner, I'll just merge it into the cobblestone path already there.

I'm about 80% sure it's one of the people who started playing when the server went up, then got bored. There's been a few of those, and we've kind of assimilated their projects.

hatten

Postby hatten » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:26 am UTC

The server doesn't allow cracked clients, right? Otherwise I might even buy it for realz.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:52 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Steax wrote:That said, I'll check one last time: does anyone know who owns the facilities just west of spawn? There's a cobblestone path, a few houses, and some mystery redstone wiring. I'd like to negotiate a building plan for the skyway so it descends gracefully. If I can't find the owner, I'll just merge it into the cobblestone path already there.

I'm about 80% sure it's one of the people who started playing when the server went up, then got bored. There's been a few of those, and we've kind of assimilated their projects.

I'm going to go in between the houses there, to an empty hilltop (sans some torches). I won't break a single block that they've built, so I hope it's okay. This close to the spawn, though, it's hard not to get in viewing distance from anything else.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:Why would you feel anxious about that? It's not like there isn't an essentially unlimited supply of it near bedrock.
Also in the Nether.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:23 pm UTC

hatten wrote:The server doesn't allow cracked clients, right? Otherwise I might even buy it for realz.

Buy the shit or fuck off.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
hatten wrote:The server doesn't allow cracked clients, right? Otherwise I might even buy it for realz.

Buy the shit or fuck off.

You can't play multiplayer on a cracked client (seriously, buy it now, before full release, when it is full price.. You have 12 days (Nov 11))

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Man, sometimes I want to join one of these servers, but every time I see think about how freaking gigantic the projects are, I just go "My little house isn't going to be very interesting"
One of my favorite things about SMP is being able to explore the creations of other past and present minecrafters. Aesthetics are a lot more important than size (or so my beloved tells me. T_T) and I'm also looking for ideas when I travel; eventually I'll have to create a tavern. ...and my own aesthetic abilities are half the reason I'm letting the Endermen do so much of my decorating. ^_^ So, I'm not-so-privately hoping you join us so that we can visit your house and see your redstone toys.

I have a private rule regarding machinery/electronics in minecraft. Until I've made something that works by myself, I'm allowed no references. I have a prototype cobble generator (23/minute, but it loses half its drops to the lava), a prototype on/off switch for my SSP nether portal, and some prototype spawner grinders that work, but require constant attention to pick up the drops...and may probably slow down soon now that the behavior of generated mobs is changing. Maybe. (It turns out that mobs can somehow spawn even in a 20m radius around the edge of the loaded chunks? ...but since they're not loaded, they don't move or despawn, but still count toward the mob limit? I must experiment more.)

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

I got myself a minecraft today. Night is scary. I dug a hole in the ground and covered the entrance to keep the green guys out. Then I joined a server I found in this thread and fell to my death.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

What versions do Psion's and ST's (?) server use? If I could be whitelisted on them (I'm mecheaon) I'd be happy to join, so long as I could get a .jar of whatever version of MC is being used somewhere.

Also, if neither of you/them end up converting to 1.9 when it comes out, I'd be willing to let folks on to mine -- though, the Full Release should be just around the corner, so it might be moot.

EDIT: Actually read the OP and pm'd Psion >.>

I've already become spoiled by swiftness potions :(

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
Enokh wrote:Man, sometimes I want to join one of these servers, but every time I see think about how freaking gigantic the projects are, I just go "My little house isn't going to be very interesting"
One of my favorite things about SMP is being able to explore the creations of other past and present minecrafters. Aesthetics are a lot more important than size (or so my beloved tells me. T_T) and I'm also looking for ideas when I travel; eventually I'll have to create a tavern. ...and my own aesthetic abilities are half the reason I'm letting the Endermen do so much of my decorating. ^_^ So, I'm not-so-privately hoping you join us so that we can visit your house and see your redstone toys.

I have a private rule regarding machinery/electronics in minecraft. Until I've made something that works by myself, I'm allowed no references. I have a prototype cobble generator (23/minute, but it loses half its drops to the lava), a prototype on/off switch for my SSP nether portal, and some prototype spawner grinders that work, but require constant attention to pick up the drops...and may probably slow down soon now that the behavior of generated mobs is changing. Maybe. (It turns out that mobs can somehow spawn even in a 20m radius around the edge of the loaded chunks? ...but since they're not loaded, they don't move or despawn, but still count toward the mob limit? I must experiment more.)

I'm the opposite. Why should I waste my time on figuring out what has already been designed. Which, reminds me, I really do need to automate my melon and pumpkin farms. That would save a hell of a lot of time. Though, that means I need to kill a bunch of slimes and probably mine a little redstone.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

I'll look up individual circuits -- how to make a 1-bit memory circuit, for example. But the actual contraption I like to figure out how to make myself.

It's really just a lot of fun for me to puzzle out.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

I think my other issue is, with grad school, I don't really want to waste hours trying to figure out how to do something.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:01 am UTC

So, I logged on to the server, wandered around a bit, and actually managed to find myself on the map. I'm somewhere near the lava/glass bridge, the one near the comic in the sand.

Should I join someone else? (In which case, where is everyone else?) Or should I set out and do my own thang? And does anyone mind me cutting down random trees? Like, if there are torches scattered around, does that mean someone doesn't want me messing with that land?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:17 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I think my other issue is, with grad school, I don't really want to waste hours trying to figure out how to do something.

That's fair. It actually took me a while to admit to myself that, if I really loved messing with redstone that much, I should do it in Creative Mode, and then once I've figured something out use it in Survival. I've a hated for Creative mode, for some reason.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:32 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:So, I logged on to the server, wandered around a bit, and actually managed to find myself on the map. I'm somewhere near the lava/glass bridge, the one near the comic in the sand.

Should I join someone else? (In which case, where is everyone else?) Or should I set out and do my own thang? And does anyone mind me cutting down random trees? Like, if there are torches scattered around, does that mean someone doesn't want me messing with that land?

My bet is, if there's a lava glass bridge, and torches everywhere, you're probably by narnia, and yes, I would prefer you not mess with it. I assume you also have seen a barn and a castle on top of a cliff thing as well. That area is going to be turned into a massive breeding center.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:27 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:So, I logged on to the server, wandered around a bit, and actually managed to find myself on the map. I'm somewhere near the lava/glass bridge, the one near the comic in the sand.

I think the best thing to do, when starting, is to first get someone on the server to show you around (I'm available a lot, though I'm also new so I don't know everything) to get a sense of scale, and where things are or aren't. Then go out and pick a closeby-but-empty area to get yourself started. Xeril set up some starter packs in the communarium, those should help. I suggest looking at the tectonius map (note to self: bookmark it), picking an empty lot, and building. <ad>build to the west, there's a lot going on.</ad>

I'll be online for the next few hours, so feel free to pop up. I'm sure others will be around too.

Enokh wrote:What versions do Psion's and ST's (?) server use? If I could be whitelisted on them (I'm mecheaon) I'd be happy to join, so long as I could get a .jar of whatever version of MC is being used somewhere.

Also, if neither of you/them end up converting to 1.9 when it comes out, I'd be willing to let folks on to mine -- though, the Full Release should be just around the corner, so it might be moot.

EDIT: Actually read the OP and pm'd Psion >.>

I've already become spoiled by swiftness potions :(

ST's server is more historic, and I think more active. Psion's server is newer and somewhat less crowded.

Feylias wrote:

That's what SHE said!

And yes, Enokh, you should totally join us.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:23 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I think my other issue is, with grad school, I don't really want to waste hours trying to figure out how to do something.

I thought it was fun to screw around with redstone circuits, but if I'm actually building something I'll look it up. Reinventing the wheel and whatnot. It's kind of like programming your own sort functions.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:31 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:

My bet is, if there's a lava glass bridge, and torches everywhere, you're probably by narnia, and yes, I would prefer you not mess with it. I assume you also have seen a barn and a castle on top of a cliff thing as well. That area is going to be turned into a massive breeding center.

I saw a building that said something about animal husbandry, next to your castle, but it wasn't on a cliff. (That building's not on the map yet, BTW.) I did take one of the numerous beds from the chest near your nether portal.

Anyways, I guess I'll find some unused land and get myself self-sufficient, then decide what to do. I got bonemeal, seeds, a hoe, a bed, and a sapling. I think I might try to get to 1.8 land. But first, a bit of sight-seeing!

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Man, now I'm all excited to join. Ran for a bit and found a spot to build on Psion's server -- just awaiting whitelistification on ST's!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:43 am UTC

Someone should make a map of ST's server. Not like a Minecraft map, a more abstract (hand-drawn?) one, with rough borders between territories and landmarks.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:11 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:

I saw a building that said something about animal husbandry, next to your castle, but it wasn't on a cliff. (That building's not on the map yet, BTW.) I did take one of the numerous beds from the chest near your nether portal.

Anyways, I guess I'll find some unused land and get myself self-sufficient, then decide what to do. I got bonemeal, seeds, a hoe, a bed, and a sapling. I think I might try to get to 1.8 land. But first, a bit of sight-seeing!

Yeah, I forget I pretty much mowed that mountain down when I built that castle. The dirt layer is actually the original top of the mountain. In so much as those were mountains back in the day. But yeah, pretty much that whole landmass area with all the torches out to the water is Narnia. There's also the Narnian bombing range and the Narnia nature reserve, and Narnia South (Nether).

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:59 am UTC

Ooh ooh ooh! Someone wants to come to one point eight lands and needs a tour? Why if you wanted to be exploded you'd be the perfect new member. Has anyone showed him my portal?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:02 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I'm the opposite. Why should I waste my time on figuring out what has already been designed. Which, reminds me, I really do need to automate my melon and pumpkin farms. That would save a hell of a lot of time. Though, that means I need to kill a bunch of slimes and probably mine a little redstone.

There's a "working" slime farm in the basement of my castle which you're welcome to use. Any slimeballs in the chests nearby are open for people to take, too, I have at least a stack.

I'd always appreciate gifts of redstone, but just take what you need.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:10 am UTC

Scallel wrote:Ooh ooh ooh! Someone wants to come to one point eight lands and needs a tour? Why if you wanted to be exploded you'd be the perfect new member. Has anyone showed him my portal?

Run a trolley line. Also, I took your pumpkin vines for seeds. They've been replanted. If you want more seeds, I have an entire stack. Plus three operating farms.

Return to “Gaming”