Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Ganalef: I will try a rescue operation. Join the server 30s after it comes back up and I will try to get you out of there. And then lecture you for doing something so... silly.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Minecraftian nukes' craters are perfect squares, of course.

Absurd, everyone knows they follow the pattern evidenced by creeper demolitions! You and your squarian followers are relics of a byegone era!
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Did... Did I break something just now? Sorry! I was trying to go into psion's server and misclicked/mislooked.

Um, Roos, I'm also trapped in the glitched zone. Scallel is probably worst off, though.

I'll wait for the all-clear here before even opening minecraft again.

Edit: Kain! You took my phrase out of context! ... And it actually sounds hilarious that way.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:07 am UTC

Yeah, I know who's trapped in the zone. Frankly, it seems to me you're stuck there until the problem is remedied, AKA you just got a self-imposed minecraft ban!

:D

:)

:|

:(

:cry:

Well, that's what ya get for listening to Scallel.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:11 am UTC

Downing the server until I get it straightened out. Frying that entire area.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:15 am UTC

Was Scallel seriously asking people to come play with his "Tumor"? (or was it just the whole issue with everyone over there being too close together because he didn't claim a large enough area?)

ST, how big is "that entire area"? Or will you not know until it is fixed?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:17 am UTC

The entire area depends on how pissed I am at the time of editing, really. I have the coordinates of X712 Y66 Z6122 to start, so I'm going to go from there.

Oh, and if you were in that area or otherwise bugged, PM me and let me know. And include as much of your inventory as you remember, because it's going away.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:Yeah, I know who's trapped in the zone. Frankly, it seems to me you're stuck there until the problem is remedied, AKA you just got a self-imposed minecraft ban!

You... you mean... I have to get back to work? NO!

Roosevelt wrote:Well, that's what ya get for listening to Scallel.

Hey, he was jumping around in all his diamondy goodness, I wasn't expecting the place to go kablooie.

In all seriousness, though, that's why I came to see the 'tumor'. Since Scallel was still alive, I assumed the bug was minor (probably on par with what we saw at the Great Chicken Massacre), and not... this. I (incorrectly) assumed it was a similar problem and we could find a solution to it, like we did before. (And if by 'inviting', you mean saying "Hey, you should probably see this", then yes.) My apologies.

P.S. I think he also has a huge stockpile of resources right next to the glitched area. Heheheheh. Heh.
Last edited by Steax on Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:24 am UTC

Steax wrote:
P.S. I think he also has a huge stockpile of resources right next to the glitched area. Heheheheh. Heh.

I can personally recall him having at least three stacks of diamond blocks, and five or more stacks of TNT, in his main warehouse :)
If only he hadn't decided not to allow me to remove them for safekeeping back when we first went to 1.8 lands...

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:26 am UTC

Steax wrote:P.S. I think he also has a huge stockpile of resources right next to the glitched area. Heheheheh. Heh.

And here I was looking for the proper karmic retribution for him ignoring me. :twisted:

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:28 am UTC

I'm quite sure I saw at least 3 rows in a chest of TNT stacks.

Roosevelt wrote:And here I was looking for the proper karmic retribution for him ignoring me. :twisted:

Clearly the chicken gods provide trustworthy karma retribution services.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:44 am UTC

Heys, yous, I feel like chatting. Open up THIS CHAT CLIENT (Or use your own) and join the channel #xkcd-mc on irc.rizon.net (Default port). I'm bored, hurry up :P

EDIT: Never try to type while singing the lyrics to a song. Doesn't work. At all.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:23 am UTC

Mini rant/blog
Spoiler:
Apparently FOV settings are way more complicated than I thought. I was working out the block width you can see at normal view distance and default(70 degrees) FOV, and tested it, and I was way off. Since trigonometry is my strong suit (I'm a math major), I got a little worried... But it turns out that the effective FOV depends on your aspect ratio in most video games. So apparently it's only truly 70 degrees at 4:3; at 16:9 it's more like 90 degrees.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:29 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Mini rant/blog
Spoiler:
Apparently FOV settings are way more complicated than I thought. I was working out the block width you can see at normal view distance and default(70 degrees) FOV, and tested it, and I was way off. Since trigonometry is my strong suit (I'm a math major), I got a little worried... But it turns out that the effective FOV depends on your aspect ratio in most video games. So apparently it's only truly 70 degrees at 4:3; at 16:9 it's more like 90 degrees.

On my 16:9 screen, there's very significant distortion at the edges (blocks can appear twice as wide). It gets annoying when you're nice 3x2 flag becomes 6x2 ish there. It bothers me.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:00 am UTC

The FOV setting seems to set the vertical view, and the width is calculated from the aspect ratio. It's also not measured in degrees... I set mine to the default of 70, and had a view that's about 80 degrees vertically. Set to 90, it's about 110 degrees tall, and set to the maximum of 110, it's about 130 degrees tall. In reverse, to get a 90-degree-tall view, I had to set the FOV to 77.
Those measured by making a 2-block-high wall in creative mode, flying and getting to the altitude such that the camera is about level with the middle of that wall (according to the displays in F3), and then moving so that the height of the wall exactly fills the screen. Then getting my distance from the wall from F3.

So, yeah. The numbers probably have some useful meaning to the OpenGL internals, but I'm not sure what basis it has. It's not the view angle directly, and it's not something like "the height of the view 100 units away" or anything like that...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:37 am UTC

Things notch might implement that will annoy minecraft players:
- Sea Creepers
- Reduced storage
- Level system requirements to do actions

Things notch might implement that will REALLY annoy minecraft players:
- Remove F3

mieulium

Re: ST's server precautions:

Postby mieulium » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Feylias wrote:The map is saved frequently, but your inventory isn't. If you put stuff in a chest, that stuff is probably safe. If you take stuff out of a chest (or the ground), you may lose it.

If you log out and back in to the server, your backpack will be saved. I urge you to do this every time you load up at a chest, find diamonds, or see squid flying.

TnT I lost 4 diamonds!

edit: WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

Things Spoutcraft will be able to fix when the API is done.
Steax wrote:Things notch might implement that will REALLY annoy minecraft players:
- Remove F3
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Things notch might implement that will annoy minecraft players:
- Sea Creepers
- Reduced storage
- Level system requirements to do actions

Things notch might implement that will REALLY annoy minecraft players:
- Remove F3

Okay, the sea creepers I could see. The rest of that can fuck right off an serves no purpose. Really, what point does reducing the storage space actually have? And, to be honest, it seems like it'd be a massive pain in the ass because you'd effectively have to deal with every single chest full of stuff in the game.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

It was just a buildup for the joke at the loss of F3.

I... please, no sea creepers.

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:15 pm UTC

Any chance we could get our own forums or sub-threads or something?

There are usually multiple conversations happening, some are more important than others (ie: dont go to 1.8 lands or you will be destroyed). It'd be nice to not have to read through the 4 pages of posts that happen over the weekend to see if there was anything relevant.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:30 pm UTC

It actually sounds like we could have our on Fleeting Thoughts thread, Rant thread, Awesome thread, Screenshot thread... amount of users might be minimal. It would, however, alert people that we clearly have a focus in the game (to the point of having not one, but two servers run by members), which may in turn invite more people.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

mrmoses wrote:Any chance we could get our own forums or sub-threads or something?

There are usually multiple conversations happening, some are more important than others (ie: dont go to 1.8 lands or you will be destroyed). It'd be nice to not have to read through the 4 pages of posts that happen over the weekend to see if there was anything relevant.

Just a point of clarification, it was "don't go to Scallel's 1.8 lands." Unless I am greatly mistaken...

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

Yeah, just Scallel's place. The 1.8 to the South and West are perfectly safe.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:53 pm UTC

mrmoses wrote:Any chance we could get our own forums or sub-threads or something?

Hey, that sounds like a great idea!

I'm more thinking a separate website than subforums, though.
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:27 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm UTC

So wait. What parts of Scallel's 1.8 lands exactly are bad to go to? Is it just the part immediately around him, or is my castle (couple minute walk) going to be affected?
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:So wait. What parts of Scallel's 1.8 lands exactly are bad to go to? Is it just the part immediately around him, or is my castle (couple minute walk) going to be affected?

Depends how big the chunk error is.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:11 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:So wait. What parts of Scallel's 1.8 lands exactly are bad to go to? Is it just the part immediately around him, or is my castle (couple minute walk) going to be affected?

The error is coming from a glitched chunk just outside his village.

Does Scallel's pad load when you're at your castle?

If yes: You're probably in trouble. And quite possibly without a castle, once ST's done sterilizing the place.

If no: You're okay, just so long as you do not look at, think about, or, God forbid, visit Scallel's joint.

Also, RE:Subforums -

As cool as that would be, I can't help but feel that kinda clashes with da rules. Granted, I ain't in charge around here. :wink:

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Amishdemon wrote:I've finally decided to move to 1.8 so...Land claiming time!
does this claim interfere with anyone else.
Spoiler:

Then would you mind if I stole borrowed invaded peaceably annexed that little plaza outside my city?

Go ahead. I want my merchant ships to be able to dock there with no tariffs though.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:23 pm UTC

Well, there goes my place, I think. I didn't actually do a whole lot, so we'll see what's what after the editing takes place.

May be waiting for Full Release anyway. Or. . .well, Skyrim's coming out Friday, too. And I'm getting divorced, it turns out. I'm a little busy.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Minecraft has difficulty handling misplaced and/or duplicated chunks

Here's the error, captured by the snoop satellites in space.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 pm UTC

Here's hoping I'm far enough away. I'm around 1300,6500
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:24 pm UTC

I've been playing with more minecart station stuff, with the goal of eventually making a full-service automatic station.

Here is a trapdoor based minecart pez machine with an overflow rejector:
Spoiler:
Note: The floating cart is not stuck, it's falling.

And this is the switching/customer floor of a prototype sky station:
Spoiler:

Right now it's all manual as I haven't dug into the logic yet. The switches as shown route all incoming carts to the launchpad. There are five inputs and four outputs I'll have to diagram, Specifically, the launch buttons for the four destinations plus the pressure plate to store the cart, and the outputs are the four switching tracks. The launch rail output doesn't need diagrammed because it's just a simple delay from any launch signal, nor do I need to diagram the summon cart circuit.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:21 pm UTC

That made me want to design an empty cart return on the principle that carts with passengers travel slightly farther while airborne. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can do it without heavy falling damage.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:00 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:That made me want to design an empty cart return on the principle that carts with passengers travel slightly farther while airborne. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can do it without heavy falling damage.

Just put up a catchy rhyme burma-shave style to remind your victims customers to eat before landing. >B^)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:42 am UTC

Uploading a Chunkster fixed map. If that doesn't work, we'll go with the MC edit one, which basically means if you could see Scal's place from it, it's gone.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:15 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Uploading a Chunkster fixed map. If that doesn't work, we'll go with the MC edit one, which basically means if you could see Scal's place from it, it's gone.

Thanks for all the effort, Talon!
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

The server's still down, I've pm'd SecondTalon with some additional error info.

I'm still working on my full-service minecart station in my creative test world, redstone is officially a pain in the neck. Can't I just wire-wrap a Commodore 64 instead? It'd take less time, be easier, and a lot more fun.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:56 pm UTC

Kain wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Minecraftian nukes' craters are perfect squares, of course.

Absurd, everyone knows they follow the pattern evidenced by creeper demolitions! You and your squarian followers are relics of a byegone era!

Speaking of nukes: "//sphere 0 300" might be a good worldedit command to execute at Scallel's Error.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:The server's still down, I've pm'd SexyTalon with some additional error info.

I'm still working on my full-service minecart station in my creative test world, redstone is officially a pain in the neck. Can't I just wire-wrap a Commodore 64 instead? It'd take less time, be easier, and a lot more fun.

I learned that pistons can be used to push minecarts and tracks around. I don't know if this actually has any use, though. If only they'd let us use pistons to push a piece of rail up (that works) and down (that doesn't work). Then we could have perfectly flat stations with elegant propulsion for leaving.

Return to “Gaming”