Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Fri May 25, 2012 3:51 pm UTC

When I checked this morning, it was already half empty with only 5 stacks of jungle wood left (which I took when I made the post). I was wondering about to conspicuous lack of wood.

Jungle trees seem to have the worst sapling ratio I've seen. They're just really few compared to the piles given by other trees. Though this may just be my perception of the sapling-to-wood ratio.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri May 25, 2012 3:56 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Jungle trees seem to have the worst sapling ratio I've seen. They're just really few compared to the piles given by other trees. Though this may just be my perception of the sapling-to-wood ratio.

They're definitely replacing what I use putting the trees up, so they give enough I guess. I expect if you go for 1 tree per sapling, they give a better saplings/logs yield. Overall, it might be related to the biome?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri May 25, 2012 4:18 pm UTC

AFAIK the jungle trees give you less saplings because they're so big (and therefore give so much wood) that it would become potentially unbalanced to have so many jungle saplings.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Sat May 26, 2012 12:02 am UTC

It looks like the server's back up but if I try to log in it kicks me off saying I'm not whitelisted. Is anyone else having this problem?

I'd also be interested in helping make an adventure map.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat May 26, 2012 12:57 am UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:It looks like the server's back up but if I try to log in it kicks me off saying I'm not whitelisted. Is anyone else having this problem?

I'd also be interested in helping make an adventure map.

What's your minecraft username?

Has anyone else been dropped off the whitelist? Let us know, and we'll get it fixed.

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Sat May 26, 2012 1:29 am UTC

Odysseus5

Thanks!

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sat May 26, 2012 4:50 am UTC

I'm pretty darn lucky with diamond veins! :D

EDIT: And this time I have a fortune 3 pickaxe! :D
Attachments
2012-05-26_04.48.33.png
6+4 diamonds

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat May 26, 2012 9:44 am UTC

My new sky city, called Skyfrost while in construction, is now ready for primary building! Anyone's welcome to come and build, but please keep it to the right-hand wing (west) side only. The south and east wings have been planned out, with the statue hallway to be in the south.

To get there, either take the pandora rail to the south, or follow the southern avenue, straight at the tree farm and past carlo's place. You probably can't miss it.

I really want to make this city a more self-sufficient one and acting more like a city, with vertical variations. My previous one was good but lacking in order. Feel free to build what you want, just do it considerably and make sure there's room for expansion at all times. There's no style guide to stick to, either.

Next up, I'll start building the pandora city monorail to get people around. It will follow the 4 major avenues and the station will be immediately above the current central square (or under, I can't pick, probably under).

Also, jesting, took another 5 stacks or jungle, 3 diamonds in the usual chest.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sat May 26, 2012 10:13 am UTC

Could I possibly use/buy 1 of your grass blocks Rirez... :?:

EDIT: You gotta lit your stuff up, your wing and all almost blew up so I put down half a stack of torches...

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat May 26, 2012 10:58 am UTC

Go ahead, just take it from the chest in my wing.

In addition, anyone else have any silk touches we could borrow?

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat May 26, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

Mostlynormal wrote:Odysseus5

Thanks!

INFO CONSOLE: Added odysseus5 to white-list

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat May 26, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Go ahead, just take it from the chest in my wing.

I lent one to Wam, dunno if he's collected it yet.

Anyway, if infina's OK with it, the best place to put together an adventure map would probably be the science server, and we can use his hidden miner apocalypse forum to co-ordinate.

The combat zones you've been working on sound interesting, how about putting together an outline/backstory for the map?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat May 26, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

#pandora: I can't decide what to do with the rail system. We have 3 options.

Subway: Piggyback on either the abandoned sewers or existing sewers, and zoom through there from place to place. Rails just magically pop out of the ground in front of buildings. Advantages: Clean, doesn't add clutter. Disadvantages: No good views, difficult to plan (for all the slopes up and all), hinders underground building.

Avenue-way: Trim off two lanes from our current 5-wide lanes and use them for rail. Advantages: Automatically aligns with the avenues, don't need stops; just break your cart when you want to stop. Fairly good views, cheap. Disadvantages: Makes our roads thinner. To deal with the need for rails being on full-blocks, we could raise the road body to a full block and use brick slabs on the sides.

Skyway/Sideway: Build rails off the avenues, either on surface level or ground level. Advantages: Doesn't bother much. Disadvantages: More clutter, could be difficult in some spots.

I'm leaning towards avenue-ways myself. They'll be two-way for each avenue, and everything merges at a build near the center square.

--

#adventure: You can see my test building at the science server... I think it's a warp point. So far I've worked out a few cool things when it comes to mob interactions:
- Snowmen shoot pretty much everything.
- Don't let snowmen shoot an iron golem.
- Iron golems die quickly to large mobs.
- Blaze vs snowmen fights are awesome.
And so much more. Go try them out!

I previously had a story where we were in a giant spaceship/colony, and we had crew, soldiers and robots (testificates, snow golems and iron golems respectively) defending us, as large mobs of stuff came streaming in through hull breaches. Redstone timing would open more breaches and unleash more mobs. We'd have to fight our way through them, find hidden passages, collect things in armories, protect safety rooms from mobs (spiked with pressure pads, if anything gets in the room explodes; while the room is intact, it gives us splash healing potions, etc). I like the fast-paced action compared to the slow, take-your-time models of most adventure maps.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat May 26, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

Well, I have a vested interest in a metrorail system, given that the building I am recreating has a metro-rail station in it in real life.
I should probably set up that rail station, come to think of it...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat May 26, 2012 3:48 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I previously had a story where we were in a giant spaceship/colony, and we had crew, soldiers and robots (testificates, snow golems and iron golems respectively) defending us, as large mobs of stuff came streaming in through hull breaches. Redstone timing would open more breaches and unleash more mobs. We'd have to fight our way through them, find hidden passages, collect things in armories, protect safety rooms from mobs (spiked with pressure pads, if anything gets in the room explodes; while the room is intact, it gives us splash healing potions, etc). I like the fast-paced action compared to the slow, take-your-time models of most adventure maps.

Ok, that sounds really awesome. How will the player know which bits are in need of defence? What's the endgame? (ie how do you win?)

Kain wrote:Well, I have a vested interest in a metrorail system, given that the building I am recreating has a metro-rail station in it in real life.
I should probably set up that rail station, come to think of it...

Is metrorail below ground level, at ground level, or elevated above ground level?

Anyway, near your building, we can have the system to be metrorail level (whatever that level is) and then have the rest of the system to be at whatever level seems best to the rest.

Personally I think tracks at 5-8 meters above ground level down the center of the streets, with little stations giving access to the system every 50-100 meters or so would work well and not increase ground clutter seriously.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat May 26, 2012 4:13 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:
Steax wrote:I previously had a story where we were in a giant spaceship/colony, and we had crew, soldiers and robots (testificates, snow golems and iron golems respectively) defending us, as large mobs of stuff came streaming in through hull breaches. Redstone timing would open more breaches and unleash more mobs. We'd have to fight our way through them, find hidden passages, collect things in armories, protect safety rooms from mobs (spiked with pressure pads, if anything gets in the room explodes; while the room is intact, it gives us splash healing potions, etc). I like the fast-paced action compared to the slow, take-your-time models of most adventure maps.

Ok, that sounds really awesome. How will the player know which bits are in need of defence? What's the endgame? (ie how do you win?)

My planned engame was victory through, well, victory. Seal up bits of the structure invaded by mobs (buttons in hard-to-reach spaces, fetch redstone torches for power cores, physically fight the way to the hull's edge and activate the shield, etc), engage the ship's defenses (spawning more iron golems and setting up traps) and, ultimately, get to the engine room and activate it.

I meant it to be really hard to win, and without strict rules. Basically, just do whatever you need to survive, but the ship does have defenses of its own.

My problem was in planning and construction. I knew the whole set would have to be built like a TV set; all the various timers and spawners and egg dispensers would have to be rigged around the spacecraft. The craft's hull is to be made of bedrock so players can't make unnecessary trips out, though breaches are built by another block type that the skin skins identically. But it's a really involved project that's really reliant on testers.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat May 26, 2012 6:23 pm UTC

I would be more than willing to help test that!

Oh, blal, in my case the metrorail is elevated, lets see, 11 blocks above sea level, or maybe 16, I can't remember.
If I can figure out the spacing required, I'll probably make my building into a 3 way intersection (with a fourth heading into the building proper, of course). Perhaps I should make my rail system a separate system from yours?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat May 26, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

Kain wrote:I would be more than willing to help test that!

Oh, blal, in my case the metrorail is elevated, lets see, 11 blocks above sea level, or maybe 16, I can't remember.
If I can figure out the spacing required, I'll probably make my building into a 3 way intersection (with a fourth heading into the building proper, of course). Perhaps I should make my rail system a separate system from yours?

I was thinking from the distance you'd probably be better off taking the third track out of the north station, yeah.

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Sun May 27, 2012 4:08 pm UTC

I'd also be willing to help test Steax's idea.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun May 27, 2012 4:42 pm UTC

I'm trying to sort out the logistics of Rirez's idea, basically how it will work, and how the player will know where they need to be.

The only workable idea I'm getting is pretty much a standard level-by-level approach, where the player starts (arbitrarily) at the ship's bridge and has to work thier way to the engine room one level at a time.

So at a given level, the player arrives, and knows that they will have to A) defend that level's vulnerable bits and seal off breaches and/or counterattack through the breaches to kill the invaders and/or activate the level's automatic defenses.

At the goal level they'll have to do all that, -and- activate ship-wide auto defenses.

Is that about what you were envisioning?

Oh BTW, the majority of the iron golems could be naturally generated by villagers, so if you accidentally hurt a villagers you will become a target. >B^)

As far as discouraging trips outside, if this is in space, we can make the ship floating in a void. You do have to trust the player to some extant, they could always hack in whatever they wanted, and then burrow directly to the goal.

If this is a level by level design there could be trap/puzzle levels.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Sun May 27, 2012 10:44 pm UTC

Can I ask for a plugin for the main server, absorb chests that is assuming we can install plugins. The plugin allows for powered chests to absorb items, which could be very useful for automating farms/zombie farms for trading to the villagers.

Regarding the custom map
I have found that black wool makes a good impression of emptiness, and possibly buttons to signify stars.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun May 27, 2012 11:02 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:I'm trying to sort out the logistics of Rirez's idea, basically how it will work, and how the player will know where they need to be.

The only workable idea I'm getting is pretty much a standard level-by-level approach, where the player starts (arbitrarily) at the ship's bridge and has to work thier way to the engine room one level at a time.

So at a given level, the player arrives, and knows that they will have to A) defend that level's vulnerable bits and seal off breaches and/or counterattack through the breaches to kill the invaders and/or activate the level's automatic defenses.

At the goal level they'll have to do all that, -and- activate ship-wide auto defenses.

Is that about what you were envisioning?

Oh BTW, the majority of the iron golems could be naturally generated by villagers, so if you accidentally hurt a villagers you will become a target. >B^)

As far as discouraging trips outside, if this is in space, we can make the ship floating in a void. You do have to trust the player to some extant, they could always hack in whatever they wanted, and then burrow directly to the goal.

If this is a level by level design there could be trap/puzzle levels.

I guess the sane model would be a level-by-level system, yes. So here's a better explanation of what I imagined:

The player starts on the bridge of the ship. Leaving the bridge, the play must navigate the ship's interior, and aim to get to the engine room. Along the way, other rooms and facilities are available, such as armories to get weapons, safe rooms with crew members (testificates) the player should protect, cargo holds where the player would encounter less resistance but encounter traps and jumping puzzles, etc.

To make it sane, we could split up the game area into a basic grid, where each grid is a room/area. Whenever the player is on a grid cell that's been breached (as in, rigged to have stuff spawn in) or adjacent to it, the room spawns mobs.

So say I'm in the main hallway, and I enter an airlock (with pressure plates to detect me) that takes me to a habitat room, and then another airlock in front of me would lead to a hangar which has been breached. The game should realize that I'm near a breach and spawn mobs in the habitat room.

You can imagine why I questioned the sanity and logistic of the redstone. It might help for us to simplify it.

Overall, my goal was to make a fast-paced adventure where the player is forced to make split-second and unthought decisions, using confusion and panic. They have many choices to arm themselves and get past enemies, and eventually there's just one goal they have to get to (or, optionally, maybe more than one, such as to take a ship from the hangar bay and escape for a different ending). A more open-ended world based on combat, if you will.

wam

Postby wam » Mon May 28, 2012 12:46 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:

I had collected it, used it for loads of mining. But all of that seems to have been lost in the server crash. :evil: So yeah if I could use it for a couple of days that would be good then you can have it.

Edit: Also I think the underground idea for the metro rail sounds best but I see the issue. I am also happy to help build it.

You can also just extend the station roos built and I extended once if you would like a hub, however, it is off to one side.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Tue May 29, 2012 2:31 am UTC

Can I get two of my friends Whitelisted? They are new to Minecraft.
their user names are:

Fir3_IVXX

mragilebeast

thanks a lot.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am UTC

wam wrote:
blalobw wrote:

I had collected it, used it for loads of mining. But all of that seems to have been lost in the server crash. :evil: So yeah if I could use it for a couple of days that would be good then you can have it.

Edit: Also I think the underground idea for the metro rail sounds best but I see the issue. I am also happy to help build it.

You can also just extend the station roos built and I extended once if you would like a hub, however, it is off to one side.

I was intending to let the north avenue line connect to the current station. I'm realllllly conflicted about the metro... It's also hard to tell when your stop is coming up if you're underground. We might have to line the walls with wool or something.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue May 29, 2012 3:05 am UTC

hmm, I wonder how well a drop would work from my current project (sky base over the pandora tower) to a rail-way that then is connected to the city... I may work on that when I am on again.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue May 29, 2012 4:07 am UTC

Steax wrote:
wam wrote:
blalobw wrote:

I was intending to let the north avenue line connect to the current station. I'm realllllly conflicted about the metro... It's also hard to tell when your stop is coming up if you're underground. We might have to line the walls with wool or something.

Beyond that, the city's not *that* big; walking down to and up from subway stations may not be fully worth the time.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 29, 2012 4:14 am UTC

That was one of my concerns, too.

I do regularly take quite vast trips, though; I visit the sheep farm, tree farm, jestingrabbit's place, the melon farm, the mooshroom barn, the trans-pandora station, the furnace plant, my own house and my flying city, almost daily. It does add up and it does make me wish we had a rail system. Most trips are multiple mid-distance trips, instead of few long-distance ones, which makes delays just to get to the system much less desirable.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue May 29, 2012 4:53 am UTC

bluejello wrote:hmm, I wonder how well a drop would work from my current project (sky base over the pandora tower) to a rail-way that then is connected to the city... I may work on that when I am on again.

Is there a good way to do this yet? Minecarts are kind of weird about dealing with falling damage, at least when players are inside them.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 29, 2012 5:26 am UTC

Some science server testing seems to indicate that any minecart will survive any drop height, as long as there's rail to catch them when they land. Or so it would appear. You can see my test rig at the redstone facility on the science server (/twp Redstone).

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue May 29, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

That reminds me, I do not have the IP for the science server and have not been whitelisted to my knowledge.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue May 29, 2012 8:59 pm UTC

bluejello wrote:That reminds me, I do not have the IP for the science server and have not been whitelisted to my knowledge.

snow.cbouton.com:9999 should be whitelisted.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue May 29, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:Can I get two of my friends Whitelisted? They are new to Minecraft.
their user names are:

Fir3_IVXX

mragilebeast

thanks a lot.

Added! Have Fun!

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed May 30, 2012 9:59 pm UTC

I've played Minecraft for a while now, but I don't know a lot about multiplayer. I'd love to join the server if y'all will have me. Username is JakeStiles. Just let me know.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed May 30, 2012 11:31 pm UTC

I'm on the Survival games server :D

edit: And now it's a pay White-list server... :(

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:45 am UTC

Heh, I love all the people complaining on the 1.3 snapshot videos about how easy enchanting is going to be now that max enchants are at level 30 and ores give xp (I had level 36 before seeing diamond).
I can't help but wonder if these are the same people who previously were complaining about how annoying it is to grind to level 50, spend several minutes at the enchanting table, and come away with a useless enchantment...

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:59 am UTC

Snark wrote:I've played Minecraft for a while now, but I don't know a lot about multiplayer. I'd love to join the server if y'all will have me. Username is JakeStiles. Just let me know.

Just give a little bit for our ops to whitelist you and I think you'll be good. Make sure to post when you're visiting for the first time so a regular can show you around!

Kain wrote:Heh, I love all the people complaining on the 1.3 snapshot videos about how easy enchanting is going to be now that max enchants are at level 30 and ores give xp (I had level 36 before seeing diamond).
I can't help but wonder if these are the same people who previously were complaining about how annoying it is to grind to level 50, spend several minutes at the enchanting table, and come away with a useless enchantment...

I love seeing people complain about these things. I think there's really no way something like enchanting can be imbalanced, as long as it doesn't give way to infinite resources or something like that. Everyone will have access to enchanting anyway. It's even better if it's easily accessible. Personally, enchanting had its use back then, but after you gather the necessities (silk touch, fortune) it just becomes a novelty.

Also, I love the solution to villager trading. Add another item requirement for trading!

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:03 am UTC

Steax wrote:
Snark wrote:I've played Minecraft for a while now, but I don't know a lot about multiplayer. I'd love to join the server if y'all will have me. Username is JakeStiles. Just let me know.

Just give a little bit for our ops to whitelist you and I think you'll be good. Make sure to post when you're visiting for the first time so a regular can show you around!!
What's the address?

Edit: Or does whitelisted imply that I'll get access when I'm added and the address is secret to others?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:55 am UTC

The IP is on the first page, 173.237.234.102:25569. Or PM blalobw, Rooosevelt or Mr. Monkey if you want access faster (if you get on within a few hours from now, I'll be able to personally show you around)

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:23 am UTC

Added.

Return to “Gaming”