Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Re: Minecraft

Postby MaFraL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:18 am UTC

Wow, I just realized how ridiculously large Fiddler's Green is. That whole ice sheet is supposed to be replaced with cobblestone, right?

EDIT: ...that's not ice, it's cobblestone covered in water.
Last edited by MaFraL on Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 am UTC

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.html#layerId=LayerA&worldX=-9325&worldY=0&worldZ=-2258&zoom=7

Yay my castle is there now! got a working village and everything. So people should move in, or make some big rail station stops, great place right between pandora and spawn.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 am UTC

My contest entry house is now done. Caution: it is made of wool. Please, when in the neighborhood, refrain from 1. Excessive use of fire, or uncontrolled fire near the premises 2. Smoking 3. Blaspheming the name of Almighty Zeus, lest he cast his thunderbolts to burn it down.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:16 am UTC

That reminds me, when entering my tower of doom, please do not aggro the creepers. It is not big enough to back out of the creeper's boom zone.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

I can vouch for that.

Edit: Feylias, unless you want creeper damage in your encampment area in Mordor, you should change the way you're letting monsters in. It's not just spiders that make it through as the signs seem to imply.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:08 am UTC

Hi everyone! I just downloaded Minecraft. Am I able to check out one of these servers, or should I practice somewhere else first?

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 am UTC

F117Landers wrote:Hi everyone! I just downloaded Minecraft. Am I able to check out one of these servers, or should I practice somewhere else first?

I'd practice somewhere else if I were you, at least till you can stay alive without too much effort.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:18 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
F117Landers wrote:Hi everyone! I just downloaded Minecraft. Am I able to check out one of these servers, or should I practice somewhere else first?

I'd practice somewhere else if I were you, at least till you can stay alive without too much effort.

roger that! Any tips?

Edit: Also reading through all 189 pages of this thread. May take a while.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:51 am UTC

The first night is the hardest? But apart from that, prioritise shelter, then food, then minerals. Probably the easiest food to work initially is apples from trees that you chop down, so long as you start with oak trees.

I always go for an underground tree farm and underground wheat farm as the first serious things that I try to get done. But the great thing about the game is that there are so many different ways to play.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:26 am UTC

Well, the server is a great place to start if you want live help, since we can guide you through things and answer questions faster than if you were alone in SSP. (Also, SSP gets extremely... scary for me sometimes. The sense of isolation in an infinite world.)

The server won't let you cheat your way through, though, so it'll take longer for you to see some of the endgame stuff. I still say the server is a better option, though. I would recommend staying slightly away from population centers (especially Pandora city) though, because you may get too used to all the free stuff and let it get in the way of character-building mining.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:21 am UTC

Steax wrote:Well, the server is a great place to start if you want live help, since we can guide you through things and answer questions faster than if you were alone in SSP. (Also, SSP gets extremely... scary for me sometimes. The sense of isolation in an infinite world.)

The server won't let you cheat your way through, though, so it'll take longer for you to see some of the endgame stuff. I still say the server is a better option, though. I would recommend staying slightly away from population centers (especially Pandora city) though, because you may get too used to all the free stuff and let it get in the way of character-building mining.

I don't mind not seeing endgame stuff. The only issue I have is creating stuff; I ended up looking at the layout to form a pickaxe.

I don't want to muck things up on your server though.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:27 am UTC

F117Landers wrote:
Steax wrote:Well, the server is a great place to start if you want live help, since we can guide you through things and answer questions faster than if you were alone in SSP. (Also, SSP gets extremely... scary for me sometimes. The sense of isolation in an infinite world.)

I don't mind not seeing endgame stuff. The only issue I have is creating stuff; I ended up looking at the layout to form a pickaxe.

Get NEI and put it in recipe mode. It will help you so you don't have to tab out to look a recipe up, and can even create a "ghost" image in the crafting bench for you.

NEI is Not Enough Items, made by ChickenBones. It is easiest to add forge to your client to use it.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 am UTC

Drew a chart for common beginning items.
Minecraft Configurations.jpg
Click for a larger view.

(Amendment: Added Wooden Door and Charcoal.)
Last edited by Deva on Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:09 am UTC

F117Landers wrote:I don't mind not seeing endgame stuff. The only issue I have is creating stuff; I ended up looking at the layout to form a pickaxe.

Well, if you don't know what to build and create, I'd recommend watching youtubers, if you have the time. (Docm77 is awesome, but he might be complicated. One guy that's pretty basic, Jared3118. And so on =P)

I think you should start on the server. On SSP you just get bored (you might), because of the loneliness. And I think this might be one of the best servers. =P
(though I haven't had much experience, exept for trying on puplic servers. I walked a thousend blocks or two and I still wasn't alowed to break blocks and so on)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 am UTC

F117Landers wrote:

I honestly suggest you start on the server, at least after the very basic steps (i.e. mid-tier stuff) on SSP.

It's really hard to break stuff on the server, provided common sense. You want to see some of the stuff that people practically make - it's different from seeing it on videos. And it's nice to see stuff on the middle tier of technology - YouTube is full of advanced stuff, but you do want to see basic things like railway systems, melon farms and other doohikies. It's also cool to just see what people do and draw your own ideas. There's a lot of really cool architecture to go around.

And there are "sidequests" - explore people's creations and homes, check out Roos' devious deathtraps, play in ongoing events, or just building stuff with the rest of the community. It's a lot less boring!

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:38 am UTC

Sounds fun. How do I access the server?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:53 am UTC

Just say you'd like whitelisting here, and mention your username. If you want faster access, PM one of the guys listed on the first page. Then access the IP listed there (sometimes you'll be approved before you're told that you are, so trying it is just fine).

We also have plenty of guys on the server eager to help out new players!

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:57 am UTC

I would like to be added. Username is F117Landers.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 am UTC

Boom. Done.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:13 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:Boom. Done.

Danke

Edit: Magnificent. There is a floating island in the north of Pandora, near the oil fields. Since Bender is already in the mountain, should I find another floating island?

Bender - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.ht ... 659&zoom=7
My island - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.ht ... 655&zoom=8

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:55 am UTC

Bender is just like Drew Carey hosting a game show; it doesn't mean a thing.

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:07 pm UTC

Yeah, the Benders are just random graffiti. They're on everything. If you go elsewhere and build something noticeable before whoever's making them gets bored of it you'll probably log in one day staring at bender.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

MaFraL wrote:Yeah, the Benders are just random graffiti. They're on everything. If you go elsewhere and build something noticeable before whoever's making them gets bored of it you'll probably log in one day staring at bender.

I thought that they were all made by ST?

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Eh, maybe? If they are he doesn't admit to it. In any case, they don't mean an area is in use.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:19 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:
MaFraL wrote:Yeah, the Benders are just random graffiti. They're on everything. If you go elsewhere and build something noticeable before whoever's making them gets bored of it you'll probably log in one day staring at bender.

I thought that they were all made by ST?

While I fully support the Benderer, as it's hilarious... I am not Bender. My ass is nowhere near as shiny as his, and it's meat, not metal. Honest. I've always thought it was Roos, myself. But really.. I don't want to know. I like the idea of a Rogue Benderbot running around.

Oh, to the left of my Volcano, someone could easily turn that into a White Mage if they were so inclined.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Melic

Postby Melic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:11 pm UTC

Welcome to the neighbor hood landers, I made that dock in the lake near your mountain, most my stuff is underground if you want to check it out, also free cobble if you go through the main door to the left. Please take some... please take alot.

@infna how much to buy Ikari?
They call me Mr. Piman

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

Melic wrote:@infna how much to buy Ikari?

20 stacks of bedrock will get you to the bargaining table.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:41 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:The Ikari Embassy has 7 offices for rent. To rent an office in the Ikari Embassy, you must pay the rent on the office and become a sworn citizen of Ikari. I will be writing a book on the Benefits of Ikari Citizenship and the Laws of Ikari.

Offices are as follows:
Spoiler:
2 - 10m x 5m - 1 Diamond/wk
2 - 8m x 5m - 3 Gold/wk
1 - 7m x 5m - 2 Gold/wk
1 - 6m x 5m - 1 Gold/wk
1 - 4m x 5m - 2 Iron/wk

I had disassembled the Pharmacy to update it, but I went to start working on it and drew a blank on design. Everything should still be in the chests that are where it used to be.

In other news, my secret project is almost done. Anyone who wants to help me with the last bits, which is cleaning up some stuff and producing a video for youtube, PM me. It involves tekkit.

For 1 iron a week Narnia will throw you in the tunnels below our warehouse, natives included for those wishing a more Columbus like experience. For 2 iron we'll rent you space underneath the giant xkcd comic. Act now. These prices to never be repeated!

Melic

Postby Melic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

for -10 stacks of cobble (please just take the f-ing cobble) I'll give you a tour of my city, and you can dig your own house for another -5 stacks of cobble, plus you can keep all the cobble you get in making your house. You can also use my picks and smooth stone in making your house.
Last edited by Melic on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
They call me Mr. Piman

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

:lol: I visited your city and saw the cobblestone storage area. I would have taken some, but I have plenty from my own little hole in the ground. Have you considered just tossing it into a pool of lava?

Melic

Postby Melic » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

Even knowing all that cobble is there I still have problems just destrying it, I leave chests full of cobble in most of my mining areas. At least cobble is more usefull than a living room full of news papers.
They call me Mr. Piman

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

If anyone is really looking to get rid of cobblestone, I am attempting (albeit somewhat horrendously) to build a tower on the floating island. Feel free to dump it there, or something.

Unless someone deems it too tacky, in which case I will relocate it.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:38 am UTC

I think melic/piman's place is the one with the giant diamond pickaxe thing on top - or try to arrange a meetup with him so he can show you his strategic cobblestone storage facility.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:17 am UTC

You say you need to get rid of cobble? I'd be happy if you left some in the circle fort (in the middle, bottom of the stairs, in the labelled chests, you can use the others if it overflows). :D

Melic

Postby Melic » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:15 pm UTC

The problem with delivering cobble is I have to spend 4 hours a day doing dailys in wow, afther that I still have 3 toons to get to 90 and start their dailys and grind for gear on my main. Id be hard pressed to deliver cobble across the hall from where it is.

*On a side note, if your satisfied with life right now dont play to wow, it eats all you minecrafting time.
They call me Mr. Piman

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

I could use a fair bit of cobble when I have enough time to get back on. I need to cobble the route to Ikari and start building.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:06 am UTC

Sorry Bender...

Spoiler:
2012-10-10_21.22.18.png

2012-10-10_21.56.53.png

2012-10-10_22.02.37.png

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:50 am UTC

I'm just annoyed by the benders. But awesome build thingy-dingy! =)

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:59 am UTC

Well played...

Spoiler:
bender is great.png

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 am UTC

Next time I'm on I'll grab some cobble. It could be useful, since I'm constructing an island fortress on one of the outer islands.

In progress: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.html#layerId=LayerA&worldX=-17144&worldY=0&worldZ=-6165&zoom=6

Building a giant wall will require LOTS of cobblestone, so expect quite a bit to go missing.

Not that you seem to have a problem with that or anything. If the communarium chest isn't full I might drop some off in there as well.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Return to “Gaming”