Yet Another xkcd DF Succession Game

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Yet Another xkcd DF Succession Game

Postby sillybear25 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:20 am UTC

Well, I heard about the ending of the first xkcd succession game, so I thought I'd start my own. I'll start by generating a new world. To prevent arguing over the initial equipment, I'm just going to use the Play Now! option, and unless anyone has any specific requests, I'm just going to pick the first 6x6 location the site finder comes up with for HFS. If anyone else has any requests for the site, let me know in your successor signup post. I would prefer if the requests were things that show up in the site finder so I don't have to go digging through matching sites...

I'll be using vanilla DF to prevent any compatability issues. If anyone knows a site I can use to upload the save, that would be greatly appreciated. The save will be uploaded to DFFD, the Dwarf Fortress File Depot, under the "Community Games" category. Link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/

To make things easier, please edit your init.txt file so that the game auto-saves yearly and pauses when it auto-saves (that way, your successor gets it on exactly Granite 1st). It should look something like this:

Code: Select all

Use these to control the automatic saving behavior in the dwarf fortress mode of game.  AUTOSAVE can be set to NONE, SEASONAL or YEARLY.  This updates your save at these intervals, so that some of your progress will be saved in case of system instability.  You can set AUTOBACKUP to YES if you want the updated save to be copied to another folder so that you'll have several copies of your world at different times.  Set AUTOSAVE_PAUSE to YES if you want the game to pause every time it autosaves.

[AUTOSAVE:YEARLY]
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
[AUTOSAVE_PAUSE:YES]

That AUTOBACKUP is optional, but probably a good idea, just in case...

It also might be a good idea to label any traps or devices that cannot be immediately identified using notes. Just so your successors aren't totally lost.

With the technical info out of the way, I'll let you guys sign up to be the successors to the fort.

Location Requests (will be updated as requests come in):
  • Hidden Fun Stuff
  • Chasm
  • Cave(?)
  • Magma

Fortress Leaders (will be updated as successors sign up):
  • sillybear25
  • Phen
  • Levi
  • headprogrammingczar
  • Vaniver
  • nyeguy
  • aliosha
  • psion
  • heavymeds
  • Steve Zissou
Last edited by sillybear25 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 pm UTC, edited 14 times in total.
This space intentionally left blank.

Phen

Re: Yet Another xkcd DF Succession Game

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:58 am UTC

Did the other one die completely? In any case, I'm free to play again, on this one or the old game.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:13 am UTC

I'd like to join. Do you think you can get a location with GCS, a cave, and HFS? And maybe magma and a chasm too?

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:42 pm UTC

well, I can't guarantee a GCS, but if there's a cave or chasm, there's definitely a chance for one. I don't think you can specify that you want a cave on the embark screen, but I'll take another look... You can't specify a cave on the site finder screen. If we have HFS, though, we'll definitely have mountains, and I'm pretty sure mountains tend to have caves more often than other biomes. We'll just have to hope for a cave.

And as for the magma, I'll try to find a site with a magma pipe, since those tend to be easier to find than magma pools, but if I can't find one with all the other features and a pipe, I'll look for a pool instead. Similarly, if the chasm turns out to be a problem, I'll look for a bottomless pit instead, since it's basically the same thing.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

sillybear25 wrote:well, I can't guarantee a GCS, but if there's a cave or chasm, there's definitely a chance for one. I don't think you can specify that you want a cave on the embark screen, but I'll take another look... You can't specify a cave on the site finder screen. If we have HFS, though, we'll definitely have mountains, and I'm pretty sure mountains tend to have caves more often than other biomes. We'll just have to hope for a cave.

And as for the magma, I'll try to find a site with a magma pipe, since those tend to be easier to find than magma pools, but if I can't find one with all the other features and a pipe, I'll look for a pool instead. Similarly, if the chasm turns out to be a problem, I'll look for a bottomless pit instead, since it's basically the same thing.

And if you find a bottomless pit and a magma pipe...
Spoiler:
ERUPTION!!!

Also, does one have to be good at DF to have a go at this?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Also, does one have to be good at DF to have a go at this?

You do know the Dwarf Fortress motto, right?
Spoiler:
Losing is fun!

If we get some of these features, it could very well turn out to be a "fun" fort in the first year, as I personally am rather good at managing a fort, but generally only if the wildlife is well-behaved. I remember a fort I started just a little bit ago where all my dwarves were eaten by zombie camels. Fun indeed.

So, to answer your implied question, of course you can have a go at this.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

Only if you all post a summary at the end of your turn for those of us playing at home :D
Ⓞⓞ◯

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

Awesome. This will be the most "fun" I've had in ages!
<Cheese> I love you

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:49 pm UTC

I'm free!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:09 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:I'm free!

So, is that an "I'm in"? Or are you making some sort of inside joke that I'm not aware of due to either my having not closely followed the xkcd fort or my having been away from the fora for so long?

And as long as my post is bumping the thread, I might as well add that I've decided to upload our game to DFFD, the Dwarf Fortress File Depot. I'm adding a link to the OP. If you don't have one already, you should register an account there.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:10 am UTC

I'm in.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:45 am UTC

I'll take a turn.

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:05 am UTC

pick meeee!

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:26 am UTC

How is the starting spot? I really think the environment needs to be difficult to survive in. I'm bored of fortresses going so well :( Never even had a real tantrum spiral going.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:40 am UTC

I'm in. Also, if you want I could host the files in a less public, more reliable way.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

Phen wrote:How is the starting spot? I really think the environment needs to be difficult to survive in. I'm bored of fortresses going so well :( Never even had a real tantrum spiral going.

I haven't chosen a starting spot yet. However, I'll try to make it a bit more challenging. We're already looking for a chasm, which means we'll have chasm creatures, and a magma pipe, which means we'll have to deal with magma creatures. How difficult would you like the environment to be? I can look for an evil and/or savage fort location if you like.

And as far as people joining is concerned, I'm probably going to allow everyone a turn who wants one (assuming the fortress survives that long. We'll probably have to come up with a plan in case the fortress dies, but we'll burn that bridge when we come to it. Maybe we'll use reclaim mode...?). If you were hoping for multiple turns, you may have to wait awhile...

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:33 pm UTC

I just downloaded it a couple days ago, and I'm sure that I would be too "fun" to be in this succession game, but I have a suggestion: I read the summary of the Boatmurdered saga on the DF Wiki, and I have a question: Is it fun to flood the world, and if so, can you waterproof the fortress so you have an atlantis-type thing?
Spoiler:

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:17 am UTC

As difficult as possible. :D

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:15 am UTC

Internetmeme wrote:I just downloaded it a couple days ago, and I'm sure that I would be too "fun" to be in this succession game, but I have a suggestion: I read the summary of the Boatmurdered saga on the DF Wiki, and I have a question: Is it fun to flood the world, and if so, can you waterproof the fortress so you have an atlantis-type thing?

Well, the Boatmurdered incident occurred before DF had a 3-dimensional world, so flooding the world (with water or magma) is pretty much impossible. Flooding your fort's chunk of the map, on the other hand, is theoretically possible, though it would involve building gigantic walls around it to keep the water/magma in. Not to mention all the lag that would generate...

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:30 am UTC

sillybear25 wrote:
Internetmeme wrote:I just downloaded it a couple days ago, and I'm sure that I would be too "fun" to be in this succession game, but I have a suggestion: I read the summary of the Boatmurdered saga on the DF Wiki, and I have a question: Is it fun to flood the world, and if so, can you waterproof the fortress so you have an atlantis-type thing?

Well, the Boatmurdered incident occurred before DF had a 3-dimensional world, so flooding the world (with water or magma) is pretty much impossible. Flooding your fort's chunk of the map, on the other hand, is theoretically possible, though it would involve building gigantic walls around it to keep the water/magma in. Not to mention all the lag that would generate...

THEN THAT IS WHAT WE MUST DO!

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

You must dig out the entire map to create a gigantic pit (excluding a square with the magma tube in it). Then punch a hole in the top of the magma tube's surrounding square to flood the entire pit with magma (eventually). Build a fort out of stone blocks above your new gigantic lava lake.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

Why not just build chambers using water/magma screws to transport the water/magma up, and then have it all come out of the top of the mountain?
Spoiler:

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:37 pm UTC

You would need a lot of pumps to get enough water for adequate flooding to take place, due to the accurate nature of water physics in DF.
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:00 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:You must dig out the entire map to create a gigantic pit (excluding a square with the magma tube in it). Then punch a hole in the top of the magma tube's surrounding square to flood the entire pit with magma (eventually). Build a fort out of stone blocks above your new gigantic lava lake.
Actually, it'd be better to punch a hole in the bottom as well - just so the magma drains out completely, floods the bottom of the map, refills the tube then starts to flow out and down. Without the bottom layer covered by magma, it's likely the magma will just evaporate/harden to nothing faster than it can be replenished.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

psion

Postby psion » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

psion wrote:http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Bloodline:Oceanside

That is awesome. Now I want to pump away the ocean.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Their Rapture plan seems worse than the one Xaddak came up with- how are they going to go deeper?

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

So are we okay to start the game, or did anyone want to add any requests for the site finder? Someone said something about wanting a more challenging starting location. Evil? Savage? Both?

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:31 pm UTC

Startstartstart already!

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:12 am UTC

I'm good to start the game.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

I want, as said, a tough environment to fight because I'm tired of everything always going smoothly. So terrifying or whatever, I've never tried many of them.

frogman

Postby frogman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 am UTC

I would probably make the fortress too Fun, but I'm going to be watching this thread with much interest, to see how it progresses!
yeah yeah yeah

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:48 am UTC

If you want a bit of Fun, you can try changing the temperature range when creating a new world. Set the maximum to 1000, instead of the deafult 75. :) (you can even get higher i think if you import the settings, to get around the maximum maximum temperature limit) I had the maximum set to 1000 for Fleshchamber. (See related videos too)

First thing that happened was that as soon as I got there, my wagon burst into flames. I managed to grab a handful of plump helmets from the fire and get them underground, and later I was able to collect metal and bones that survived the fire, everything else (and one of the cats who was a bit too close to the fire) burned. A few more indications of how hot it is:

Water will instantly vaporize in contact with the outside. Made getting through the aquifer easy, just expose it to the light and the water vaporizes faster then it can flow in.
Raindrops hit muddy pools, and instantly turn into a cloud of steam on contact.
I have to limit my contact with the outside, a dwarf can move around for a short while, chop down a nearby tree, grab something that's not too far away and come back and be fine, but leave them out there too long, or let them go back out repeatedly without time to rest and cool down underground, and they'll take damage from the heat.
It seems leather ignites at lower temperatures then cloth or silk.
Immigrants that arrive wearing pig tail cloth or spider silk, manage to make it from the edge to my fortress entrance without taking damage, ones that are wearing leather however, find it has burst into flames, and die before they can get inside.
Merchants seem to have a habit of bringing flammable goods into my region as well.
One group of merchants i thought was incredibly lucky, some of their stuff was on fire when they came into the zone, but it started raining, and the fires went out. At least I thought it was lucky until they got to my trade depot and put their items down. My trade depot is underground, but still, apparently something was on fire, or was still too hot underground, or coming out of the rain was a bad idea, but next thing I knew, I had an expanding !!boiling sweet pod gas!! cloud which incinerated the merchants and 4 of my dwarves.

The only bad thing seems to be that sieges are very easy to deal with, just shut them outside for a while, and they'll take heat damage until they collapse and burst into flames. (if they don't arrive with things on fire in the first place)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

Fleshchamber is an oddly poetic name for a world with murderous heat.
<Cheese> I love you

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:20 am UTC

I apologize about the lack of game-starting; I haven't had much time to spend on DF this week, but I'll have time to start it tomorrow, so be on the lookout for future posts.

sillybear25
civilized syllabub

Postby sillybear25 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:49 pm UTC

Well, sorry it's so late, but I'm finally starting the fort. Couldn't find a location anywhere with a chasm, magma pipe, and HFS, so we've got a bottomless pit instead of a chasm. Doesn't look like the magma pipe is exposed, so unless there's a visible cap, that might be a bit of a challenge to find. We don't have any flux stone, but we do, luckily, have sand, so once that magma is uncovered, we'll have an unlimited supply of green glass.

With the initial scouting report, a new chapter of dwarven history begins here at this place, Menglolum, "Lashwood." Strike the earth!

EDIT: After some additional scouting, it seems neither the bottomless pit nor the magma pipe are exposed, requiring some exploratory mining in order to discover them. I recommend that future fortress leaders exercise caution while digging, lest the fortress become very fun...

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

I hope you guys post your progress on the boards, I look forward to seeing your hideous death progress fun.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:20 am UTC

sign me up, I've been waiting for something like this since i started playing DF.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:12 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:I hope you guys post your progress on the boards, I look forward to seeing your hideous death progress fun.

Depends on if everyone will agree to do it. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed last game because of the lack of descriptions of the turns because I put a significant amount of time into it.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

Phen wrote:
SummerGlauFan wrote:I hope you guys post your progress on the boards, I look forward to seeing your hideous death progress fun.

Depends on if everyone will agree to do it. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed last game because of the lack of descriptions of the turns because I put a significant amount of time into it.

I was planning on doing an in-character journal, a la Boatmurdered.

Return to “Gaming”