Yet Another xkcd DF Succession Game

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

StrengthInFaith

Re: Yet Another xkcd DF Succession Game

Postby StrengthInFaith » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Okay, thank you. I'll have a post up either tonight or early tomorrow.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

Excerpts from the diary Of Sarah Duradrakust, M.D.

15th Hematite, 246, Early Summer

Diary,

I was appointed Village Manager yesterday. I am lost for words. I have spent years learning and honing my craft: that of a doctor. I came here from the mountainhome to treat illnesses, not to hold the hand of every ass-backwards dwarf who doesn't know how to do their job.

I apologize, diary. I should be flattered, and I am; it's just that I was forced to take the position, more or less. I was eating in the dining hall when the mayor, after giving a sly wink, stood and announced that I was the new Manager. Just like that! Out of the blue! I kid you not, diary. So there I sat, flabbergasted, while everyone cheered and congratulated me. I couldn't just say, "Hey, you know, I might pass on taking that job, maybe" after that kind of response. So I smiled and saved face and walked out of there as quickly as I could. Maybe he thought he was doing me a favor.

Gragh.

16th Hematite, 246, Early Summer

Diary,

I began surveying the workshops today and, as I said in a previous entry, "ass-backwards" just about covers it. The shops themselves are fine, but their placement in relation to stockpiles puzzles me. In fact, the current layout of the fortress puzzles me. It's almost as if a child designed it. Some major re-arranging is in order.

17th Hematite, 246, Early Summer

Diary,

We have a ridiculous amount of food and drink, so workshop redesign comes fir-

Who the hell ass balls would leave an open passageway next to a magma pipe that has DIRECT ACCESS TO THE REST OF THE FORTRESS. Argh. Masons are walling it off-

Masons are also walling off another unprotected passageway with direct access to the fort. They will then be conducting a full search of the fort for more vulnerabilities.

Workshop redesign underway.

18th Hematite, 246, Early Summer

Goblins!

And what's more, it seems they're attacking a human trade caravan. We've been ordered to stay inside. Doesn't look like the military is venturing out, either. Guess the humans are on their own.

On the bright side, one of the millers has created a legendary gauntlet.

Not too shabby.

---Later---

Just saw one of the wrestlers run by. Guess they're heading outside after all.

Goden is the first on the scene, followed closely by his squad. He faces off against a goblin wrestler.

---Shortly thereafter---

Our military is victorious! The entire attacking goblin force is ripped apart. I'll have to remember to order some new equipment made for them.

22nd Hematite, 246, Early Summer

I've heard talk this morning that a goblin snatcher made off with one of the children. She was apparently a princess of some sort? I'm not entirely sure; the miners that told me were more than a bit drunk. At any rate, my heart goes out to the family. And the child.

----- -----

Not the best update, and I apologize for it. I wanted to post something to help get the ball rolling again. Second update will be up either tonight or tomorrow. It'll cover a bit more time than this one did. I'll try to only focus on the more major events. And take better screenshots. :oops:

I'm sorry Levi! I am sorry that your princess was kidnapped. :( I'll be sure to fill up her stable-thingy with horses, though.
Last edited by StrengthInFaith on Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 am UTC

Excerpts from the diary Of Sarah Duradrakust, M.D.

26th Hematite, 246, Early Summer

A dwarf named Kol was killed this evening by a member of the Fortress Guard.

I am beyond words at this point. The mayor was apparently upset over a mandate of his not being fulfilled. A mandate to make chain mail. Out of metal. So what does he do? He orders one of the Guards to kill a miller. Makes sense, right? No diary. It does not make sense.

I cannot stand for this. Action will be taken.

As an aside, I've heard rumours that the kidnapped "princess" was overseer of the fortress for some time. Again, drunk miners cannot be trusted, but my mind is utterly blown.

Utterly. Blown.

3rd Malachite, 246, Mid-Summer

Redesigns underway. Lots of hauling. Lots of stockpiles. Proud of the dwarves; they're working hard.

14th Limestone, 246, Early Autumn

It's Autumn! The traders will arrive soon. I'm quite excited. So are the goblins, apparently.

They ambushed as the caravans drew close to our fort. Our military has been dispatched to take care-

Oh. Erm, nice job, caravan guards. Our wrestlers have been called off.

Peeking down the hall, I can see the traders. More than five wagons! How exciting. There's Kogan, our broker. I've always thought she was pretty.

The traders look nervous, suddenly. Like dogs who have sniffed a scent on the wind. At once they explode into action, frantically reloading their wagons. Their goods shatter from the force of their frenzied work. In minutes they are gone. Their terrified screams can be heard for a few more minutes.

What the ass, diary?

We're all clustered around the entrance now. Everyone is nervous. What could have inspired such horror in those hardened dwarfs?

A cry is heard nearby, followed by the harsh yells of goblins.

Sazir, a gemsetter, had stumbled upon a goblin ambush. He is thrown off the cliff, landing with a sickening thump nearby.

The screaming begins. I am swept up in a wave of dwarfs crashing upon the entrance; we pour inside and trickle throughout the fortress. Many hide behind locked doors. I make my way back and look outside. The goblins are chasing the few unlucky ones left outside.

Our wrestlers move as one unit. They target the central group of attackers, composed of 5-6 goblins. Watching them fight is quite an experience. They dodge swords, sidestep pikes, reach through armour, and tear the vile creatures apart with their bare hands.

Within a few minutes the goblins chasing the dwarfs are also defeated. I shrink into the shadows as the wrestlers walk through the entrance hall. They're covered in blood, but they're beautiful. And they don't see me.

12th Sandstone, 246, Mid-Autumn

5 migrants arrived today, bringing the population up to 78.

11th Opal, 246, Mid-Winter

Besmar, a Wood Burner, gave birth to a baby girl today! Congratulations!

1st Granite, 247, Early Spring

Last day in office.

--Stuffed inside are a few loose sheets of paper--

Instructions

To the next Manager,

Greetings! Congratulations on your appointment to this office. Below I will have list-

--Unintelligible scribbles--

Workshops

Workshops and stockpiles have been redesigned. Their This new configuration will, hopefully, be more efficient.

Housing

A new block of rooms has been dug out by the miners. It can currently house 40 dwarfs. 40 more rooms are in the process of being mined. This configuration can be repeated to house an indefinite number of citizens.

Defense Wall

Construction on the Wall began in early Autumn. It was completed only a few weeks ago. I had one of the more artistic dwarfs draw up this diagram:

The red lines indicate the placement of the Wall. The yellow circles are the four gates openings entrances. All are guarded by two war dogs; in addition, three also have a row of cage traps. Any invaders will have to pass through an entrance to reach the fort. The dogs will, in theory, raise the alarm and give us advance notice of attacks. Might even snag a few bastards in the cages. It is my hope that future leaders will expand the wall, and the protection it provides.

Water

I had planned to create a water reservoir within the fort. It would have drawn water from the numerous pools in the area. As of today now, there are two pools within the Wall. The closest one is also the largest, and I consider it the safest for use.

Food, Drink

The farms have been reorganized. There are 12 plots: 4 are growing plump helmets, and 2 grow pig tails. Two kitchens work full time preparing meals, which we have 592 of. We currently hold 855 units of booze drink, so the stills shouldn't need to be used for some time. I recommend planting more crops; we're down to 244 raw plants to work with.

Again, best of luck! Feel free to contact me as needed.

-Sarah Duradrakust, M.D.

----- -----

My year's up. I'm sad to pass on the fort; it's been a lot of fun working with it. Here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1451.

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

Is it too late for me to sign up as overseer on the queue? I'm coming back to Dwarfort after a pause of about three months, and I want to get back into community games.

EDIT: And can I request a dwarf? Name: stormbringer951 (I don't think DF supports underscores...)

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:50 am UTC

stormbringer_951 wrote:Is it too late for me to sign up as overseer on the queue? I'm coming back to Dwarfort after a pause of about three months, and I want to get back into community games.

EDIT: And can I request a dwarf? Name: stormbringer951 (I don't think DF supports underscores...)

As dwarf names go, Stormbringer ranks fairly high on the badass scale (nowhere near Cog or Urist of course). Stormbringer951...? Ehhh...
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:12 pm UTC

Stormbringer is funnier in Nethack. Because then if you're chaotic, you get stormbringer and hit people with it! :P

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Hey there, stormbringer. I think you're safe to take a turn, if you'd like; the OP's last post in this thread was almost two months ago. Have at it, and have Fun! :D

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:12 am UTC

OK right. Anyone still following this wants to get dorfed (named dwarf after them>)?

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm UTC

I guess the OP left. I've been watching this thread for a while, and it seems to have lost some direction. I updated the turn list.

By my calculations, the updated turn queue:
( CS-Consecutive skips, C-current turn, ?-Not sure, *-active player, !-temporary turn/switched )
* sillybear25
* Phen
* Levi
* headprogrammingczar CS-1
* Vaniver CS-1
* nyeguy CS-1
C! stormbringer_951
* aliosha
* psion
* heavymeds
? annals
* Steve Zissou
* StrengthInFaith

Current turn: stormbringer_951 : 11 Oct
Next turn: aliosha : 18 Oct

I guess if anyone wants this changed, just mention it. I will assume 3 consecutive skips means you are no longer an active player.
Hat me, bro

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:44 pm UTC

I think that looks good, Dr. Willpower. :) It was nice of you to take the time to do it.

Any news or updates, stormbringer?

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:03 pm UTC

Soon. Like I said, anyone want a dwarf? There's quite a few to spare.

Anyway, I'm just trying out Dwarf Fortress again before messing up the succession game, as I've been playing Nethack for the past few months. I'll start on the succession game tomorrow (sunday, from my time).

frogman

Postby frogman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:52 pm UTC

I'd like to be added to the queue if that's okay.
yeah yeah yeah

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

frogman wrote:I'd like to be added to the queue if that's okay.

Certainly

Spoiler:
Assuming turns are ~1 week, and 3 consecutive skips means you are no longer an active player.

( CS-Consecutive skips, C-current turn, ?-Not sure, *-active player, !-temporary turn/switched )
* sillybear25
* Phen
* Levi
* Vaniver CS-1
* nyeguy CS-1
C! stormbringer_951
* aliosha
* psion
* heavymeds
? annals
* Steve Zissou
* StrengthInFaith
* frogman

Current turn: stormbringer_951 : 18 Oct
Next turn: aliosha : 25 Oct

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

Village of Lashwood
1st Granite, Early Spring

I have arrived at the Village of Lashwood. It is remarkably well-built for such a troublesome settlement, with an actual wall surrounding the settlement. No doubt one of the previous overseers was actually sane. The first thing that struck me when entering was the complete mess. Stones everywhere underfoot. The walls are rough and the floor is not even flat! This has to change. Operation: Cleanup will be implemented as soon as I can find some idlers to make work.

I have asked the clerk (incidentally, also the village manager and hardmaster and broker) for the inventory list. He also happened to be the broker. A broker. HThis is a dwarf who would happily trade away an adamantium mace for a pile of narrow goblin crap. Speaking of that, I need to check if we have any goblin kit clotting up our stockpiles. A overseer's work is never done. Apart from that, this dwarf seems to be competent.

My preliminary action plan:

1) Clean up the fortress and make it look worthy of the name of dwarven outpost.
2) Train up some of these scum-sucking peasants and soap cleaners; a wave of bodies to overwhelm the next goblin, kobold or elven race will do nicely.
3) Project: Extermination will create all-new job oppurtunities in the butchery, leatherworking, soapmaking and bonecrafting industries.

Population: 79
Food Stores: 1965
Military: 7

---

Well, first post. I'll do most of this around a season a day I think. First impressions are of a nice fortress, but my inner pedantic demons are raging. Why are the floors not all smoothed and engraved? Why the tiny military? And who the hell let all the pets loose? I may have to murder all of our stray kittens and cats to keep the catsplosion under control.

Storm

frogman

Postby frogman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Aww poor kitties.
yeah yeah yeah

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Just a quick heads up. I may be a day or so late posting the rest of mine, as I am fairly busy. I'll have it done though.

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

22nd Granite, Early Spring

Whew, it's been a busy last few days. A very busy last few days. I had a little wander around the fortresss, and boy it is a mess. Stones everywhere, magma supplies untapped, great amounts of rubbish strewn everywhere (which reminds me, I must dump all of that narrow goblin and large human clothing). The Mayor is on my back, shouting at me to get some armour stands and cabinets for his room. I reply that he's not a Armok-damned soldier, he can go shove his armour stand up his mandate (pardon the euphemism). It would help if I knew where his room actually was....

I've handed out new job orders and mandates to all workers. We've got fisherdwarves around, too many woodcutters and carpenters sitting on their thumbs and no dedicated force of farmers. It's time for a revolution there. I've handed all the fishing industry their notices - when they complained, I pointed out we're in the middle of the mountains? What're they gonna do, run a seasonal sustainable fishing indstury? I ask them to dwarf up, start smoothing out the floors or join the Fortress Guard. I say ask, this is asking with the existing Fortress Guard standing behind me.

In other words, Project: Extermination is well now underway. Many of those relocated from the fishing industries have been assigned to butchering the poor, underfed stray kittens, puppies and horse foals that seem to wander our halls freely. Soon, Armok willing, I will not be required to fill out a risk assessment for every dwarf that attempts to walk through a corridor.

So far, the beautification project is working well, with the shiftless hoopleheads being forced to clear the hallways of rubble and smooth them down. Obviously, this has caused some friction with Project: Extermination, but work is continuing solidly on both fronts.

And a lot of excitement. The Elves have arrived for trading! Oh wait, a goblin ambush! The goblins eventually push through, killing a few guard dogs; that annoys me as I'll need to get our resident M.D. to go and chain some more up in the future. The cannibals, however, are massacred delightfully by the demon-worshipping scumsuckers, leaving us to execute the goblinoid menace and pick up the elvish trade goods. I reassign workers to shifting the bins full of crap back to the "finished goods" stockpile. Pfft. One small problem. I say small problem, of course I mean gigantic problem. When I said "execute the goblinoid menace", I was working on the assumption that our freaking champions would deign to fight mere goblin wrestlers. You've guessed it. No such luck. Armok save us all...

And that wraps it up for tonight's update. I'll try to do the rest tomorrow, but if it's not done by evening I'll just up the save anyway. So far, no problems apart from my own pedantism. I've ordered a mass stone dumping/engraving job to occupy the hauliers and other dwarves. The [remove] tag I've put as some dwarves's custom professions will be removed when their profession changes under the list. Also, I've enlisted a bunch of unarmed, unarmoured fortress guards. Hopefully these wrestlers will amuse themselves. Meanwhile, gaze in wonder as I attempt to figure out how the hell this fortress has been put together.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Can I have a dorf named after me again?
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

Awesome update, Stormbringer. :D Can't wait to read more!

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:15 pm UTC

[cont'd]

The goblins were a bit of an anticlimax. Turns out cage traps are useful after all... In celebration, I have commissioned an outdoor arena, where the bravest of the brave dwarves can test their skill against captured goblins and an elf (who happened to stumble into one, but we're keeping quiet on that front - you know, diplomatically like).

I fear that the soul-numbing emptiness of having no armour stands has gone to our dear Mayor's head. She has insisted on being called "Phen", a name I gather was used by one of our previous overseers. For a while, I tried to figure out where her room is. Then I remembered; I'm the overseer! I pick the nicest room I see and evict the couple from it, moving the new mayor in. I order an armour stand and a weapon rack to be built for the mayor. Hopefully this imbecile will amuse herself with a toy hammer and shield and leave me time to administrate the actual fortress. And stop mandating me to not export lead goods. I mean, we don't even have lead.

Anyway, the fortress is a mess. There's dead goblins, captured goblins in cages, dead elves and their goods, captured elves in cages, hundreds of dogs and cats under our feet and not enough hauliers. Too many craftsmen, too much useless crap, not enough hauliers to throw it away. Next immigration wave will be solely dedicated to hauling shit around until we get this lot of stuff sorted out. And the goblin snatchers carry on obliging the thriving hauling industry by turning up, being mauled to death and dropping twenty types of narrow goblin crap for the hauliers to jump on. I wish we had a chasm to dump this crap into. To solve the problem of the avalanche of narrow, large and worn out stuff we're being buried under, I've decided to build a trash compactor; the blueprints for this baby were hard to get hold of, but it'll smash whatever's placed into it into atoms. Which makes it Armok-damned useful in my eyes.

I also found out why there weren't bones of fifty different species littering our fortress too. Some crazy moron had decided to "save" them all by shoving them into a corner under a bunch of rocks. I rescind the order and repurpose a room as a bonehoard. Underground, the bones will not rot away and will provide more raw materials to our thriving crafts industry. On the other hand, I've found out that Project:Extermination has ground to a halt because of ...? A lack of hauliers. Again. I'm beginning to regret creating a larger fortress guard. Those idiots are happily thumping each other over the head while the hauliers and engravers are working overtime. The dining room isn't even smoothed yet, never mind engraved and the butcher's shops are cluttered with rotten chunks of stinking meet. Eeugh. I order more butcher's shops built. At this point, the wasted hides, meat and bones will not even be considered; I will go crazy if I have to fill out another insurance claim from a dwarf who "tripped while carrying an item to the stockpile, boss". I've even ordered surviving animals thrown in cages (save for the *precious* pets of course) and my order has not been carried out. I need more dwarfpower.

I never thought I'd say this, but I need some goddamn immigrants. And a drink. Not necessarily in that order.

-

That about wraps it up for spring. At this point, I'm not going for any complex plans; I'm attempting to make the fortress neater and run smoother (I'm a big fan of the utilitarian fortress) while getting rid of the crap we've accumulated. The atom smasher will help get rid of the excessive amounts of goblin crap I was going to sell to the elves (who then spited me by dying before I could trade it off), but there's so many hauling jobs generated that the butchers have stopped working. FPS is hovering at mid-average - low levels, and I'd love to get rid of another round dozen animals before my go is over.

If I don't manage to finish my arena, I'll post up the blueprints to my arena on here for the next overseer to complete.
Last edited by stormbringer_951 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:54 pm UTC

Glad to see that this game is finally moving along again, i almost lost hope of it ever getting to me after it just stalled after vaniver

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

StrengthInFaith wrote:I'm sorry Levi! I am sorry that your princess was kidnapped. :( I'll be sure to fill up her stable-thingy with horses, though.

That's actually a good thing; it means Phen will be unable to kill/mutilate her. It's a much better end (or is it?).

Dr. Willpower, I think Phen asked to be put on the list at the end. I'd like another go at some point too. I promise to do a better job this time.

There's a really nice tower with glass walls above the fort entrance. It was Levi's bedroom, but since she was kidnapped you could stick another noble in there or something.

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:23 pm UTC

Levi wrote:Dr. Willpower, I think Phen asked to be put on the list at the end. I'd like another go at some point too.

Oh,I just thought the list recycled after every player had gone. If that's the case you and Phen are still at the top.

If this turn goes on for too long, it might be a good idea to skip the current player and proceed with the game.

Spoiler:
Assuming turns are ~1 week, and 3 consecutive skips means you are no longer an active player.

* sillybear25
* Phen
* Levi
* Vaniver CS-1
* nyeguy CS-1
C! stormbringer_951
* aliosha
* psion
* heavymeds
? annals
* Steve Zissou
* StrengthInFaith
* frogman

Current turn: stormbringer_951 : 25 Oct
Next turn: aliosha : 1 Nov
Hat me, bro

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:29 pm UTC

I actually just asked for a dwarf to be named after me, after Levi brutally killed him for no better reason than being a bastard. Reading back through the thread I can see that I already had gotten another dorf... Wonder what happened to him. I thought the rotation in turns was natural, so I'd eventually play another round, although with the way many seem to have abandoned the succession that system might not work.

Levi being kidnapped *does* warm my heart. I wonder if it'll be possible to find out what horrible things have befallen her in Legends mode.

If somebody else hadn't taken a turn I would just have continued it, at least for another turn. I don't mind more people joining in at all.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:19 am UTC

It does amuse me more than a little that you can make outside bedrooms and put annoying children there, for them to get captured by goblins / eaten by monsters.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:32 am UTC

Hey, she liked the view.

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

Dr. Willpower wrote:If this turn goes on for too long, it might be a good idea to skip the current player and proceed with the game.

I can skip the rest of my go if you want. I don't have an excess of free time; I'll up the save by the 1st November if I haven't finished my year by then. I hope to have done something worthwhile by then, even if it's just a series of stinking workshops extending along the road to the fortress, covered in the blood-soaked chunks of various stray pets.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

I don't really have time to join the game, but I WOULD like a dwarf named after me.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

Name:

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:39 pm UTC

Just so long as it's a male with Decker somewhere in the name, I'll leave all the rest up to you.

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:44 pm UTC

15th Slate. Midspring.

I can't go on. The smell is terrible. What? The butcher's shops? No, the dwarves. The unwashed filthy masses of this population. I can't remain here. I'm far too important a dwarf to be allowed to remain here in the rear-end of the kingdom. I only skimmed a little off the top... This fortress. I dunno, they'll send someone else. I still have friends, the Baron has my ear and I've got old acquantainces in the Hammerer's Union. They'll speak up for me and the King will lift my exile, Armok bless his holy grace. I've got to get out of here, back to civilisation...

I've convinced a artisan, a dwarf named Tosid to stand in for me; we look reasonably similiar and by the time they realise that he's not me I'll be out of here. Goodbye Lashwood, welcome civilisation. It's a foolproof plan; as long as no one asks Tosid a difficult question and he breaks down in tears anyway. I've left instructions for the next overseer with our newly appointed sheriff, Decker.

1) The cull of animals MUST continue. They're clogging up the fortress and are a danger to the efficiency of the fortress. Also, the remaining insurance paperwork is in the granite cabinet. My regards.

2) There's a half-built atom-smasher built into the side of a cliff near the fortress. Feel free to finish it. I was going to use it to destroy the narrow, large and wooden crap we have lying around. Feel free to continue that. I'd link up the door I was going to put there and the bridge to a lever, so the door closes a second before the smasher comes down (which prevents stupid dwarves from wandering in and getting vaporised).

3) I'm pulling down the foundations of the arena I was going to build. It's not worth the trouble, frankly. I'll send the next overseer the plans if they're that interested in it though (and have a full year to play with it, as well as enough dwarf-power to get it built).

4) Designate all of the shitty bits of stone we have lining the corridors to be dumped into a 1x1 zone outside the mason's workshops. Trust me on that one.

5) Get rid of the custom profession names for all dwarves with [REMOVE] in their custom names after their highest skill changes to that custom profession names. It was just a tag to help me distinguish which dwarves I wanted to change skills.

Regards,
Stormbringer951

---

Ok, I have to level with you guys on this on. I have an important test (Oxford entrance exam) next week, so after the weekend I've been revising most of the time. I'd love to have another turn at some point in the future, and it's a pity that I only got to around 1/8th through my turn. :( Sorry guys.

I've uploaded it here.

For future overseers, you can upload it to Dwarf Fortress File Depot if you have an account. I've made one for you lot..
Spoiler:
User:xkcd_df
Mail:xkcddf@sogetthis.com
Pass:xkcdrules

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:43 pm UTC

Thats actually...an almost disturbingly accurate description.

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

Alright, aliosha's turn will start as soon as s/he posts the first update.

Spoiler:

* sillybear25
* Phen
* Levi
* Vaniver CS-1
* nyeguy CS-1
* StrengthInFaith
* stormbringer_951
C aliosha
* psion
* heavymeds
? annals
* Steve Zissou
* frogman

Current turn: aliosha : 30 Oct
Next turn: psion : 6 Nov
Hat me, bro

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

Decker wrote:Thats actually...an almost disturbingly accurate description.

Aha! So you admit that you're scared of spiders :P?

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Cave spiders, yes.

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:00 pm UTC

Ok, hello! I'm going to get to work on this in a couple of days ( :-( ) because of business over the weekend. I'll have it done over the course of the week, and I'll give a few updates if I can.

Ciao!

EDIT: I just downloaded the latest version of DF and I'm halfway through the save download. I'm using 40d16 on linux, completely unmodded, so let's see how this goes.

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

HeyHey, I'm afraid that to date I've been unable to get DF running above 7fps with playable graphics, and I won't be able to tinker any more over the weekend. My new Macbook Pro 13" should arrive next week though, so I reckon if someone else wants to play the turn over the weekend, I'm fine with that. If someone else does take over, I can pick up where they leave off, and if not, I will play this turn when my new computer arrives.

Sorry for the faffing!

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

Well, if anyone wants to play this turn instead of aliosha step forward. I suppose if no one does, we'll wait an additional week.

As for 40d16, I'm not sure which version this game was started with so I don't know if it will work. You should check out the DF wiki's page on Maximizing Framerate, in any case.
Hat me, bro

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:05 am UTC

Dr. Willpower wrote:Well, if anyone wants to play this turn instead of aliosha step forward. I suppose if no one does, we'll wait an additional week.

As for 40d16, I'm not sure which version this game was started with so I don't know if it will work. You should check out the DF wiki's page on Maximizing Framerate, in any case.

it shouldn't matter which version, as long as it's 40d*
The number at the very end is the version of the rendering engine, so saves between all 40d* versions are inter-compatible. ones with bigger numbers at the end should run faster, though.
This space intentionally left blank.

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

Well if things continue as planned..

Spoiler:

* sillybear25
* Phen
* Levi
* Vaniver CS-1
* nyeguy CS-1
* StrengthInFaith
* stormbringer_951
C aliosha
* psion
* heavymeds
? annals
* Steve Zissou
* frogman

Current turn: aliosha : 9 Nov
Next turn: psion : 16 Nov

Thesave

If not, the next player will continue the save at the end of this week, and aliosha will be skipped (I hate to cut anyone short, but we're approaching 1.5 months without a single turn being completed). If anyone has any objections, let me know.
Hat me, bro

Return to “Gaming”