Yet Another xkcd DF Succession Game

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aliosha

Re: Yet Another xkcd DF Succession Game

Postby aliosha » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

No, I agree completely! I'm typing from my Macbook Pro now, and downloading the save fail file now... watch this space...

----EDIT STARTS---

Here we go! (Sorry, these are the demented ramblings of someone scribbling after midnight after a long day at work - so, quite in character then)

19th Slate - How many farmers? And not a single full-time mechanic. Tut.

21st Slate - Migrants. How many? Only goodness knows how long staring at the procession will tell.
'Aliosha' Domaslibad (Guildpraise), Dungeon Busybody has arrived!
Screen shot 2009-11-10 at 23.10.26.png
Screen shot 2009-11-10 at 23.10.26.png (81.94 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
I now have a purpose - overindulgence!

23rd Slate - Miner, stoneworker, weaver, peasant, craftsdwarf, peasant, stonecrafter, butcher, peasant, weaver, cook, kitten, miller, craftsdwarf, kitten, blacksmith, fishery worker, foal, clothier, (at this point the immigrants pointed out an unsecured entrance), peasant,(One of the kittens has already murdered something), potash maker, puppy, ranger, peasant…. phew, that's over. Blimey.

I make that 20 immigrants, or almost enough to furnish a Dungeon Master's throne room with bones :D (Note: population 100)

Ok, I like 5 peasants - they can live. The stoneworkers can also live - both of them will become mechanics. The ranger, fishery worker, blacksmith, and craftsdwarves, however, will <s>die</s> be drafted into the military. The miller, cook and so on will probably make it into use as miners or something.

2nd Felsite - All this dirt, and nobody shovelling it. Why are they using valuable rock for training these novice miners? (17fps. oh good)

6th Felsite - Dastot Memmaducin has been possessed! Let's see how this goes.
He's claimed a glass furnace. Oh, now he needs raw green glass :/

11th Felsite - Another champion! Excellent.

17th Felsite - The Mayor has mandated construction of certain goods :/
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 00.16.04.png
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 00.16.04.png (90.76 KiB) Viewed 4922 times

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

More progress! I've done almost a quarter of a year :D

21st Felsite - That glassmaker finally got around to starting work. Too bad he's possessed, not anything better.
22nd Felsite - Kittens. Great. However, the amount of slaughter happening would make Stormbringer proud.
25th Felsite - An artefact. It's a bit boring though, really.
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 11.40.06.png
Artefact
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 11.40.06.png (69.49 KiB) Viewed 4922 times

Summer has come, and Stormbringer has created a masterpiece. How lovely for him!
10th Hematite - A vile force of darkness has arrived! Oh dear. I count 16 in all, most of which are hammergoblins.
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.14.31.png
Siege party
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.14.31.png (190.66 KiB) Viewed 4917 times

13th Hematite - They started by murdering the war dogs, and getting caged. and stoned - that extra line of traps I had installed may have been worth it! Now for the ballista tunnel of doom…
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.19.52.png
War dog murderage
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.19.52.png (20.79 KiB) Viewed 4921 times

16th Hematite - Hold your fire!
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.23.59.png
Hold your fire! [1]
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.23.59.png (60.94 KiB) Viewed 4913 times

Hold your fire!
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.25.00.png
Hold your fire! [2]
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.25.00.png (43.47 KiB) Viewed 4912 times

Fire!
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.25.29.png
Fire!
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.25.29.png (31.04 KiB) Viewed 4909 times

I got 2 :( However, that broke the siege, without a single dwarven injury (and only one wardog was killed by friendly fire)
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.26.07.png
Aftermath [1]
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.26.07.png (14.47 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.26.30.png
Aftermath [2]
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.26.30.png (14.39 KiB) Viewed 4907 times

17th Hematite - The cavalry are sent in - and the wardogs are avenged. Whee!
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.29.06.png
Cavalry
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.29.06.png (21.55 KiB) Viewed 4912 times

18th hematite - Oh dear…. I genuinely have no idea what happened to him.
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.31.03.png
Death?
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 12.31.03.png (6.28 KiB) Viewed 4910 times

Also, Phen, I'm sorry - you were voted out! We have a new (inferior) mayor now.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

I approve of the use of ballistas. You could fit in two more, though, in a staggered formation. I know the ballista arrows veers off course pretty quickly, but I think you should make room for them anyhow.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:14 pm UTC

aliosha wrote:
17th Felsite - The Mayor has mandated construction of certain goods :/
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 00.16.04.png

This is possibly the first time a request has ever made sense.
aliosha wrote:More progress! I've done almost a quarter of a year :D

25th Felsite - An artefact. It's a bit boring though, really.
Screen shot 2009-11-11 at 11.40.06.png

I think this dwarf is the best glassmaker of all time. I didn't even think leather spikes were possible.

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Is the tone &c of this stuff ok? Is there too much detail/pictures? Would you prefer more fiction and less fact? Any comments/anything? Glad you like the spikes, I did too :D

I think the mayor is inside our heads. I want new socks!

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:27 am UTC

I think that the same amount of fact and more fiction might be more interesting. Half the fun is the different personalities of different dwarves.

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:24 pm UTC

@levi - I'll have a go at putting more interest into it, gradually :D
22nd Hematite - since I arrived, I've been doing massive deforestation, leading me to have a legendary woodcutter! Oh dear.
1 - Massive deforestation.png
1 - Massive deforestation.png (35.79 KiB) Viewed 4858 times

15 kittens are now also to be converted to crafts and meat. Let the butchery resume!

NB: at this point, there are a couple of random notes scattered around courtesy of my predecessors. I shall be adding to them from time to time, I hope. F1 currently zooms to the gates, and F2 to the bedrooms.
5th Malachite - Export of windows has been prohibited by the Mayor [Remove] Butcher. How he expects our fragile Dwarven Economy to survive without those vital sales, i know not.

I'm turning weather and temperature off in an effort to improve FPS. Any objections will be quashed. By the way, when am i being kicked off?
9th Malachite - Oh, the misery and moaning!
2 - Miasma.png
2 - Miasma.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 4857 times

13th Malachite - It occurs to me that this fortress is ticking over disturbingly nicely. I'm trying to plot some large project (something along the lines of filling in the massive gap between the bedrooms and… everything else) but it's hard to think of a worthwhile scheme. Humph.

20th Malachite - 5 more kittens to the slaughter!

24th Malachite - A trainee engraver has given birth to a boy. On the one hand, that's potentially one more hand to the kitten massacre. On the other, now I realise what's been keeping them occupied from polishing my floors!

25th Malachite - I can't believe that a fortress of this size (albeit immaturity) has only 2000 items in food supplies! And the shocking number of farmers only contributes to my distaste. to this end, I've ordered the manager to have a good look at the efficiency of the farmers (forcing them to reapply for their jobs if necessary) in order to bring production up to scratch.

2nd Galena - Migrants were too nervous to make the journey this season. Pah! Amateurs. We'll show them

8th Galena - His wounds are too great, and I can't stand having him moping around the fortress. I've ordered the butchers to give him a clean death.
3 - Euthanasia.png
3 - Euthanasia.png (18.96 KiB) Viewed 4858 times

11th Limestone - I say, a caravan! I hope they're prepared for the overwhelming volume of narrow giant cave spider silk leggings coming their way - I daresay they'll have space somewhere for them in 6 wagons.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:03 pm UTC

You're supposed to play for a year, so whenever summer rolls around is the end of your turn.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:34 am UTC

Speaking of which, could I be added to the queue, please?

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:33 am UTC

Yes, I will update the queue tomorrow and post it again.

EDIT: updated

Spoiler:
Assuming turns are ~1 week, and 3 consecutive skips means you are no longer an active player.

( CS-Consecutive skips, C-current turn, ?-Not sure, *-active player, !-temporary turn/switched )
* sillybear25
* Phen
* Levi
* headprogrammingczar CS-1
* Vaniver CS-1
* nyeguy CS-1
* StrengthInFaith
* stormbringer_951
C aliosha
* psion
* heavymeds
? annals
* Steve Zissou
* frogman
* EmptySet

Current turn: aliosha : 16 Nov
Next turn: psion : 23 Nov

The current save
Hat me, bro

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:01 pm UTC

Ok, I'm leaving this before the weekend for someone else to take over: Here's the current save http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1615 . Good luck everybody, although nothing interesting is happening at all...

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:18 pm UTC

i can take over if psion doesn't show up, though I'm not sure whether i'll have an internet connection, so my updates would be delayed for a couple days

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

heavymeds wrote:i can take over if psion doesn't show up, though I'm not sure whether i'll have an internet connection, so my updates would be delayed for a couple days

I sent him a pm asking if he wants to go. If he doesn't respond, it'll passover to you.
Hat me, bro

psion

Postby psion » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

I've got it. I haven't run DF in a while but I should finish in just a few days.

edit: it seems ali0sha stopped in month 7 of the year. So I guess my game is going to be 17 months-ish. I'll see.

psion

Postby psion » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:12 pm UTC

Notice the "Child" part.

Journal of Oddum "Psion" Ònulestil

Father says I should keep a journal. I think he's just afraid of how I'll turn out without Mom. He sure likes to babble when he's got a drink in-hand... and fight over stupid things. It never seems to bother my brother though.
    ---
    I was going to play in the mines today when Father asked me to take my brother, Solon. I hate it when he comes with me, he just sits in one place and engraves the walls with the little chisel Father gave him. It's just a waste of time, I tell him, they're just going to tear those walls down eventually. He doesn't seem to care. I barely got to play at all because the workers kept telling me how dangerous it was and yadda yadda. I'm not a baby, I know what I'm doing.
    ---
    I HATE CATS!!!! So, yeah, I don't know what to write today.
    ---
    My father wanted me to go grab a special gem he saw in the mineshafts again. yellow spessratine or something stupid, I don't care anything beyond that its yellow, large, and in the Mica mine -- so he says. I never saw anything like that in there before. I guess i'll take the journal with me, there's nothing else to do today.
    ---
    Passed by Phen in the mines. She seemed pretty sad as usual. I wonder what her problem is, maybe I should ask her someday.
    ---
    Lots of yellow gems here, guess I'll grab all I can. I probably shouldn't have brought the journal with me then, but at least it's sort of fun writing about stuff.
    I pulled out a gem from the wall and this weird stick was behind it. Looks like a toy sceptor Solon plays with sometimes. Maybe he left it down here? No, that doesn't make sense. It's got a yellow gem on top so maybe Father can use it. I'll take it back with one of the gems he wanted.
    ---
    Father was drinking again, didn't even thank me for bringing him the gem. I showed him the sceptor and he just laughed at me, told me I should keep it. Fine.
    ---
    Weird... I was in my room with the sceptor in my hand and a kitten walked in, I yelled at it to get out and the gem on the sceptor glowed brightly. The kitten left. It's like a mind control sceptor, cool.
    ---
    WHAT?! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I TOLD MY FATHER TO BARK LIKE A DOG AND HE DID! THEN I TOLD VANIVER TO CUT OFF HIS BEARD AND HE DID! THAT'S LIKE SUPER BAD BUT HE DID IT WITHOUT HESITATION! THIS IS A MIND CONTROL SCEPTOR!
It'll grow back before I'm done, Vaniver, but you almost killed this with your extremely delayed save, so I figured I had free rein to use you.

Anyway, that's the introduction I wrote before I started playing much. I'm in August right now so I'm about done with my 17 months. I may have the save and the rest of the journal up tomorrow depending on my day.

xkvd

Postby xkvd » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:12 am UTC

Will I be able to join, or is it too late now?

psion

Postby psion » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:16 am UTC

Spoiler:
Hmm.

Continuation of the Journal of Oddum "Psion" Ònulestil

So, I made myself King. WOO!!!!! Anyway, I went to my new office and read some of the scriptures. Stuff about the old mayors and plans for the fortress. I'm going to be the best mayor ever I bet!
    --
    I rummaged through the old logs of Menglolum. I guess I should start using dates, reading these journals it seems like a good idea. I'll have to consult the farmers though, barely anyone here knows how calendars work.
    --
    25 Limestone: I was checking through our stocks when I noticed we had a whole room filled with bones. It looked like a Dragon's lair. Why do we have so many bones?! If we're going to have so many bones, we might as well show it off. I commanded the bonecrafters to decorate EVERYTHING with the bones.
    --
    26 Limestone: Everyone seems to be taking their sweet time picking up after the last battle. There's still pieces of armor and weapons in the hallway, it almost looks like the barracks does. Am I the only organized person around here? I need something to motivate them.
    --
    27 Limestone: Why is there a kitten in a coffin? KITTENS! REMOVE IT!
    --
    4 Sandstone: A liason approached me. At first they laughed at my stature, but I made quick work of that opinion. Though, I had no idea what he was talking about most of the time, so I just told him to run home. On second though, I should have had him jump off the nearest cliff. It would have been more entertaining.
    --
    9 Sandstone: The farmers tell me they don't plant any seeds during Winter. Their reason? They forgot. I fixed this.
    --
    14 Sandstone: I've ordered the destruction of all sceptors, just incase something weird happens if someone found another with this power. That'd be confusing.
    --
    24 Sandstone: A miller came complaining to me that there wasn't a mill or quern for her to work on. I decided to use her to perform experiments as to the sceptors power.
    --
    25 Sandstone: I think the sceptor is affecting me myself... My train of thought is different... I'm understanding things I didn't use to understand... On another note, I'm making every attempt to demolish every kitten in Menglolum.
    Spoiler:

--
    14 Timber: From my tests it appears that the sceptors power is limited to requests that don't contradict the subconscious.
    --
    20 Timber: The miners have begun the construction of my hall. There's a distinct lack of lavish housing, so I have several rooms for the nobles, and my room at the pinnacle.
    --
    25 Timber: I'm still failing to get the lowely miller to kill herself. I feel this is a distinct gap in my power. I shall have to find an alternative.
    --
    10 Opal: Cold, boring winter. It suddenly drove Domas mad and he built us a sock with spiked bones. Hopefully it's not assumed to be worn.
    Spoiler:

--
    15 Slate: Immigrants marched into Menglolum as if they were invited. Nonetheless, several nobles came with them, and my grand hall is nearly complete.
    Spoiler:

--
    1 Hematite: The philosopher and I had a great discussion on assisted suicide. Hopefully our discussion will show physically manifest. He did seem highly disturbed by my intellect, but mere impressions are easily manipulated.
    --
    23 Slate: I've gained word that we have discovered a bottomless pit. I'm intrigued.
    Spoiler:

--
    26 Hemitite: A kobold thought he could steal from me. He was chased down and killed just outside the walls. His corpse will hopefully be a lesson to others.
    --
    28 Hemitite: I'm still desperately trying to kill the kitten population. I must either kill the kittens' owners or find another way to get the kittens alone.

Roughloves the Danger of Gripping. Ew.
Spoiler:

We have no architect? :x
A small siege came, but it was pretty pathetic. Just 8 goblins or so, none of them that skilled. They were destroyed.

4 Malachite: That's it.... I had no idea... I'd explain, but... I'm not sure how.
    --
    8 Galena: I see it all.
    --
    20 Galena: It is coming...

Spoiler:

A... A dragon? *eyes slowly widen to a shocked state*
I quickly called all dwarves from outside and rallied my militia. I've never gone up against a dragon before, but I know what they're capable of. I checked back to the dragon and it seems to be unconscious. It lumbers slowly, coming in and out of consciousness. I checked its health, it appears to be fairly injured.
Spoiler:

It's missing a whole leg and a claw. It very slowly stumbles to the walls, falling in and out of consciousness. It probably took him a week just to move 20 tiles to the north wall. No longer feeling threatened, I called off my militia but kept the dwarves inside. I was going to attempt to capture it in the cage traps. A pandora box for later, maybe.
He makes it to the wall, throws some fire at the guard dog and then has an epic battle with it.
Spoiler:

They both lay unconscious together, until eventually the dog drowns in his own blood. The dragon continues in, falls unconscious a few more times, and becomes trapped in the cage.

Why.... Why do you fail me now?
    --
    THE KITTENS! YOU...! I KNOW! YOU WILL NOT TAKE ME!
    --
    It shatters. The void welcomes me.
    --
    --
    --
    --

18 Timber: If I hadn't known better, I'd have assumed someone stole my journal. Though, ironically, knowing is what I don't have. I don't remember anything that happened after I found that sceptor in the mine. It was rather strange to fall asleep as a child, and wake as a dwarf. Since I've rediscovered this journal, I joined the military briefly as a marksman. I wasn't cut out for it, but it was a nice breather to rediscover my true passion in mechanics. I've been building and helping with all the mechanisms of Menglolum since. For some reason, I still have an effect on some of the other dwarves here, and they've let me live in some sort of a palace that I assume I built for myself during my... departure. It's not really in my taste, but then I also don't mind.
    Spoiler:

I haven't seen the sceptor since it let go of me, but I'll keep this journal as a demented log of the events that took place here and hopefully get on with my life.

So, I finished construction of the whole noble area and doubled our wealth, all with 0 Deaths :( . I didn't move some of the older nobles in because I had no idea where their homes were and I didn't care to look. I built a waterfall system into it, you'll notice under the "Great Hall" that there's a channel containing water for even more waterfalls, if one likes. Once the windmills finish it should work fine. The lakes will refill with rain after a while, and I built switches next to the lakes underground that will open floodgates incase you need more water down there. My only suggestions beyond that is to get a tanner, and build walls on the mountains so that enemy archers can't fire down from the cliffs (it happened once, lost a cat), at least over the second barracks I built. The furniture stockpile is full too.
Menglolum is a dutchy, the King is on his way. Good luck with that.

Before and after:
Spoiler:

Save: http://organized-kaos.com/dpsion/df/DF- ... _Psion.rar

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

Clearly, the menacingly spiky sock needs to be turned into a puppet. We could use it to memorialise the Capture of the Lame Dragon in puppet plays...

psion

Postby psion » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

The Capture of the Lame Dragon play would probably be too boring. They should try something more exciting, like a dwarf that is surrounded by dwarves play.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

The reason there's weapons and armor lying about is probably because there's no stockpile for them. The king doesn't come unless you find adamantium; did you not record that?

The first and only dragon I have encountered so far was missing a claw. I captured it and used it as a guard. It was able to take out a goblin ambush single-handedly and without damage to itself, but it was killed in a siege because it staunchly refused to breathe fire.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:34 pm UTC

I made some stockpiles, (unusable armor is next to the depot, the rest is by the forges) and set the orders to gather it from outside. They're working on it, but there's just so much of it. I wrote that as a quirky entry rather than in confusion.
No adamantine. I guess the King isn't actually coming yet, we just need a higher quality road and a small offering. Very doable for the next turn though.
I doubt that dragon is useful for anything, really. He was never conscious for more than a second or two every 20 seconds. If you look at the picture of it breathing fire, he's marked as an X -- he's already unconscious. Until the dragon blew the wardog's paw off, I thought the dog had a slight chance of killing it.
Last edited by psion on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

xkvd wrote:Will I be able to join, or is it too late now?

Of course you can join.

As it currently stands..

Spoiler:
Assuming turns are ~1 week, and 3 consecutive skips means you are no longer an active player.

( CS-Consecutive skips, C-current turn, ?-Not sure, *-active player, !-temporary turn/switched )
* sillybear25
* Phen
* Levi
* headprogrammingczar CS-1
* Vaniver CS-1
* nyeguy CS-1
* StrengthInFaith
* stormbringer_951 CS-1
* aliosha CS-1
* psion
C heavymeds
? annals
* Steve Zissou
* frogman
* EmptySet
* xkvd

Current turn: heavymeds : 27 Nov
Next turn: annals? : 4 Dec

The current save
Hat me, bro

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

i have the save, I wont be able to work on it today, but i hope to have it done by wednesday

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:33 am UTC

Ooh, a mind-control scepter that's mysteriously disappeared? It could be a lot of Fun if it shows up again later on. :D

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 pm UTC

The Journal of "Heavymeds" Zatmosus, Engraver.
--1, Granite, 249
Well diary, it seems I'm moving up in the world. As I was taking my break, the Mayor came up and told me that the fortress needs an overseer, and due to my outstanding service last year, I have been selected. Personally, I think it was more that they picked someone at random, because no one has a very good recollection of what happened last year. Either way, I plan to do my best and bring the fortress to new levels of prosperity.
--2, Granite
I spent most of yesterday surveying the fortress, and was shocked by what I saw. ANIMALS EVERYWHERE! It was almost nauseating, in one area, it was as if the floor itself was alive. I'm glad to see the notes my successors left me showed that they were aware of this problem and sought to rectify it. What mystifies me though is they most of them only focused on cats and kittens, frankly, this makes no sense when we also have hoards of useless donkeys and horses sitting around. I have ordered the butchers to slaughter any non canine animal they can find. Soon after I issued my edict, I realized that we did not seem to have any tanners work shops, either that or I can't find them, I suppose that makes my first order of business to build a few. To this end, I have recruited 6 peasants with nothing better to to to become our tanners.
Spoiler:

--4,Granite
I have ordered the kennels to train up all remaining untrained dogs into war dogs.
--5, Granite
It would seem that our furniture stock piles are filled to capacity. This is unacceptable, as it means our work shops are slowed to a crawl due to clutter. In order to increase efficiency, I have commissioned a new furniture storehouse to be dug out of the living stone.
Spoiler:

--14, Granite
I now see why those peasants were peasants, it took them nearly two weeks to finish 6 tanning workshops, but they're all done now, so hopefully we can start to make use of all these hides we're getting.
Spoiler:

--17, Granite
Some of those annoying hippy elves arrived, hopefully I can use them to get rid of some of these useless crafts we have.
-- 19, Granite
Well diary, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the new furniture pile has been dug out, the bad news is that it is entirely filled with stone. Stupid miners, why would you intentionally leave stone in a place you knew didn't need it. It just makes me so mad that i wanna'… but no…
--23, Granite
A small goblin ambush today, about 5 Goblins from what I could tell. I must say, watching a single wrestler take out 5 goblins was highly enjoyable, they are truly the perfect killing machines.
Spoiler:

-- 27, Granite
My order for a drawbridge to be used as an item disposal has yet to be carried out, and I grow increasingly impatient with whoever our architect(s) is/are.
--7, Slate
The first step of my waste disposal device is complete, now all that remains is for the mechanics to hook it up to a lever, but considering how long it has taken for them to reload a simple cage trap my hopes are low. Perhaps I should look into disciplinary measures.
--14, Slate
Today I discovered that we already had a fully operational disposal area. Why none of my fellow dwarves thought to tell me this when it was clear that I was building one, I'll never know. Some times I think it would be a good idea to put some of the dwarves beneath one of the disposal units…
--4, Felsite
It appears that some lowly wood cutter has been possessed. This is rather bothersome, as it means one of workshops will be closed out for quite a while, and knowing this fortress, if I command another one to be built, it would take longer to build it than for the wood cutter to do his work.
--7, Felsite
Some migrants have shown up on our door step, begging to be let in. For a moment, I was tempted to tell them to go wait under one of the disposal units. I don't know why I thought such a horrible thing, perhaps running this fortress is getting to me, I think I need to go take a rest, and perhaps a drink…
--10, Felsite
Today was a sad day. A mason, Stormbringer951, fell to their death in the chasm. When I went down to examine the accident site, I was struck by just how awe inspiring the chasm is, of course I had been down there before, but it just never struck me as such. It's infinite depths fascinate me, and it has given me an inspiration.(note: The death really was an accident, sorry stormbringer)
Spoiler:

--20, Felsite
I have begun the construction of an observation platform over the pit, as I find the breezes wafting up from below relaxing. Also, we have begun repaving the road leading to the main gate with higher quality materials.
Spoiler:

--30, Felsite
Diary, I think managing this fortress is driving me mad. Its so horrible inefficient, nothing ever gets done. We have the man power, but the fools always run off to do something else, it makes me want to wring their short little necks. Were it not for the pit, I think would have jumped into the lava pipe long ago. I have commissioned a room directly above the pit in the hopes that it will allow me regain a semblance of sanity.

OOC: ugh this fortress runs slowly, it took me the better part of this afternoon just to do spring, at this rate, i think it'll probably be Friday or Saturday before I'm done.

EDIT: Edited for grammar, etc.
Last edited by heavymeds on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:19 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

psion

Postby psion » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:54 pm UTC

I held back on butchering all those horses and such because I wanted tanner workshops to make full use of it. The local wildlife seems to be pretty barren, I made a hunter and most of the time he was idle because there was nothing to hunt.
Since there's so many dwarves now (150+?), we should probably streamline the workload. Set one to do nothing but architect, five or more to do nothing but dump stone, and etc. There'll be a lot more idlers, but at least the important stuff will get done in a decent time frame.
Last edited by psion on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:00 pm UTC

What job is dumping items under anyway, no matter what I turn off everyone always seems to run to dump things.

psion

Postby psion » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:02 pm UTC

It's refuse hauling I believe.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:33 pm UTC

The wiki agrees. I think there's some chance it might be item hauling, but that would be perverse (and my impression of that didn't come from any rigorous tests, so it is probably wrong).
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

I'm working on re assigning jobs now, thank God for dwarf foreman

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:37 am UTC

Sorrry for the double post but here is the summer:

-1 Hematite
I have just just completed a major over haul of the job structure, needless the say, the dwarves are not happy with the routine change. Hopefully in time they will come to see the benefits of this much more efficient system.
--11, Hematite
Today is a dark day indeed. As I was near the Pit, smoothing the hallway to my new chambers, some peasant came running and shouted that we were besieged. I can only hope that the military is strong enough to fight them off.
Spoiler:

-
The goblins caught one of the peasants before he could get back inside. I could see what they did to him from the entrance hall way. The monsters tore him apart… By the time they are finished with the corpse, I fear that there won't be enough left to bury. It was horrifying, but in way, strangely fascinating. I hope my rooms are done soon so that I might retire to the calmness of the Pit and brood on this.
Spoiler:

-
Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, they did, a second goblin force arriving from the opposite side of the map. I continue my search for the lever that raises the main entrance draw bridge.
Spoiler:

--14, Hematite
After the entirety of the normal military had been annihilated by a hail of crossbow bolts, the champions finally deemd it worth their time to come out and confront the green skinned menace. I just hope that they are sufficient.
--15, Hematite
The siege is broken! Even as I write this, our champions chase the single remaining goblin survivor. One thing is certain, after this is over, the mass of captured goblins will have some rather nasty things in store for them…
Spoiler:

--18,Hematite
Dammit, in all the confusion with the siege, no one thought to provide items for that possessed woodcutter, and now he's gone insane. At least he fell into depression rather than a rampage, as some dwarves have been known to do. The last thing we need around here is a berserk dwarf. On the up side, we finally got that crafts dwarf workshop back.
--20, Hematite
Today it struck me. I know what to do the with the prisoners. I've already provided myself with the means to do it. Obviously I'm talking about the observation platform over the Pit. As I stood gazing into its depths, it was as if there was a breath of wind from bellow, and suddenly it struck me: just throw them into the depths, and our vengeance will be had.
--25, Hematite
Today, the first of many goblins was thrown into the Pit. I watched the first prisoner being lead to the Pit. In fact, it was almost as if the entire pit was watching with anticipation, even the normally troublesome Batmen were docile. I have ordered the construction of floor grates in my bed room so that I can watch the executions in comfort.
Spoiler:

--27, Hematite
It seems some idiot accidentally released a Dragon from Its Cage, luckily, the champions dealt with it swiftly. I must find out who is responsible for this, in order that they may be punished. on that note i recently discovered that we have no detainment facility, which explains the utter lack of motivation in the fortress, I am looking into the construction of a prison.
--1, Malachite
The sacrifices continue on schedule.
--3, Malachite
I swear, at times I fell as if the Pit is talking to me. While I smoothed a portion of it's wall, it was as if it told me it wanted more sacrifices, I of course acted on this, and ordered the rest of the goblin prisoners thrown in.
Spoiler:

--7, Malachite
I feel it. The more sacrifices that go into the Pit, the more it grows. Perhaps grows, is the wrong word, with every passing day, I sense it more an more.
--15, Malachite
The process of engraving the Pit has proceeded well, it may be time to begin some of our other plans for the Pit.
Spoiler:

--19, Malachite
I once again get the feeling of hunger from the Pit. It desires more sacrifices. A survey shows that there are no more goblin prisoners when we were at the edge of disappear for not being able to satisfy it's craving, I stumbled upon a lone elf in the back of one of the stock piles. Soon, the Pit will have it's hunger satisfied.
--28,Malachite
The moment the elf disappeared into the maw of the Pit, we felt something was different. It was as if wads of +Pigtail Cloth+ had suddenly been removed from our ears and we heard speech for the first time. Before, the Pit had impressed its will upon our minds through a series of urges, now we heard its voice, however faintly, echoing up from the depths. For now, we seem to be the only one who can hear it, it and it's plans. Oh, what marvelous plans.
--5, Galena
It would seem that a Clothier has been struck by a fey mood. The Pit again whispers about its hunger, we have begin the process of finding a suitable sacrifice.
Spoiler:

--9, Galena
The Clothier requests rough gems, in the hopes that he produces a suitable sacrifice we have sent the miners on a hunt for the finest rough gems.
--11, Galena
Today brings two counts of good news. Early in the day, the clothier found a gem acceptable for his task. Shortly thereafter, a new kitten was born. the moment of it's birth, the whispers called out to us, and told us that this was the life it sought. We have ordered it cast into the pit.
Spoiler:

--14, Galena
The Chosen Kitten has been cast into the Pit and the whispers have been oddly quiet.
Spoiler:

We, no, I feel empty without it. Until it decides to resume contact, I will focus all of my efforts on bettering the fortress, for perhaps that it is why it has deserted us, it does not find this a suitable home.
--15, Galena
The woodcutter who failed to produce an artifact died of thirst today. This brought to our my attention that we are severely short of coffins. I suppose that is partly my fault for being so distracted for several months, so I shall seek to rectify this as son as possible.
Spoiler:

--17, Galena
The Clothier finally finished his secret project, a rope reed hood, no practical use, but still, a fine piece.
Spoiler:
(side note: How on earth does it menace with spikes of CLOTH?)
Last edited by heavymeds on Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:26 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:50 am UTC

heavymeds wrote:(side note: How on earth does ii menace with spikes of CLOTH?)

Well, I suppose it's just a step up from the leather spikes we had a little while ago. I guess he just used a lot of starch.

stormbringer_951

Postby stormbringer_951 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

:(

Farewell, Stormbringer. You were vaguely useful. How's the pet decimation / stray animal decimation coming on?

psion

Postby psion » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

Actually, stormbriger was probably the most skilled crafting dwarf in the fortress, legendary++ or higher mason, and the only mason with decent skill. His loss is a heavy one.
I'd like to know if you ever got the waterfall system working. I put all that work into it and never got to see it finished.

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

psion wrote:Actually, stormbriger was probably the most skilled crafting dwarf in the fortress, legendary++ or higher mason, and the only mason with decent skill. His loss is a heavy one.
I'd like to know if you ever got the waterfall system working. I put all that work into it and never got to see it finished.

Where exactly is it, I'll look and see if I can get it up and running.

psion

Postby psion » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:42 am UTC

The north wall, where the walls bend out. There's windmills there, just follow them down.

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:09 am UTC

--7, Limestone
Life in the fortress seems to finally be settling down here in the fortress. The road construction and slaughter of animals proceed, a bit more slowly than I would like, but still at an acceptable speed
--15, Limestone
Traders from the Mountain Home have arrived, and with them,come the Whispers. There are more this time, and their number grows daily, they impress on me their hunger, and that I am not the only one to be graced with their wisdom, and have told me of some of their followers. They tell me I must seek them out, only then can their plan be set in motion.
--19, Limestone
Fate has a mysterious way of working some times. Today I not only learned that one of our dwarves had been imprisoned, but also that the Hammerer, who now controls most of the justice system, is a disciple of the Pit. What a glorious sacrifice this dwarf will make. Even now, the Voices eagerly talk of their desire for the feast to come.
--24, Limestone
We continue to find others blessed with the gift of hearing. To date our church is us, The Hammerer, several of the miners, as well as of some the farmers. We continue preparing our sacrifice for his journey into the Pit, he will soon be ready.
--6, Sandstone
In order to pay proper homage to The Pit, we have ordered a small chapel be constructed as a place of worship. Our followers have made sure it is adorned in the finest engravings, many paying for the work from their own pocket.
Spoiler:

--18, Sandstone
Today... Today out destiny comes a bit closer. The sacrifice waits on the platform, and the Pit waits bellow him. Soon, so soon, we will have our first taste of dwarf blood.
--23, Sandstone
Today, our hunger has been sated. Not one, but two dwarves vanished into the abyss of the Pit, one an unwilling sacrifice, one willingly giving their life to the Pit. Soon we will move on to the next stage of our plant.
Spoiler:

--7, Timber
Today, our followers have declared us a prophet of the Pit. On account of this, we have began preparing for the next step in our plan, or as much as the Pit has revealed to us, the Hammerer has assured us that there will be no problems.
--18, Timber
One of our disciples, had been possessed! Both we and the hammerer believe that the voices have taken a vested interest this young dwarf, and have given him divine inspiration.
Spoiler:

--27, Timber
The voices once again ask for sacrifices, they say this will be the last, and the we shall receive our reward. The sacrifices this time must be special however, they have asked us for sacrifices that are pure of blood, and our plans have been set in motion.

Edit: I should be done with the year by tomorrow or Friday. Psion, for some reason, the architects refuse to finish the wind mills, and I can't tell why, so you water fall project hasn't come to fruition this year.

heavymeds

Postby heavymeds » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:44 pm UTC

--6, Moonstone
The Voices be praised! One of the faithful, a miner, was lead to a deposit of adamantine! Even now, cries of celebration ring out through the halls, and we have have received word that the king is on his way to the fortress. We can do nothing but think that this is the voices reward for our unwavering faith.
Spoiler:

--18, Moonstone
The time has come for our penultimate sacrifice, all who are "pure of blood" as the Voices requested of us now reside upon the platform, even the Hammerer, my second in command has willingly locked himself on as well, soon we will give the order for the platform to be dropped
Spoiler:

--22, Moonstone
A small goblin ambush arrived today, we are confident that it's nothing the military can't handle.
--26, Moonstone
The platform is away. We, along with many other followers, stand on the precipice of the Pit, and watch our final sacrifice plummet into the abyss. Soon, we will have our reward.
Spoiler:

--27, Moonstone
It seems in their revelry, several of the faithful were knocked into the Pit. Unfortunately, instead of falling into the depths, there were intercepted by ledges, and smeared across them. We pray that the voices accept their souls.
--2, Opal
We fear this may be our last entry, the Voices have revealed the time and means of their manifestation, and as such, we must finish the necessary preparations for the coming enlightenment.
-----------------------------
Spoiler:

From the Journal of Zuglar Ûthircatten, Engineer
3rd of Obsidian
The screaming finally stopped today. Whatever the so called "Prophet" and his cult released down there, it wasn't friendly, and it certainly didn't kill them quickly. Everyone here is in a state of shock, no one expected their little cult to turn so deadly. I suppose we should have seen it coming when the supply of goblins ran out and the elf was "Sacrificed" but by the time the first dwarf went down the pit, it was to late to stop them, they controlled the military and the fortress guard, and any resistance was quickly put down. Right now, the fortress is in a state of uproar, with many of the dwarves vying for power, I hope that the fortress can weather this storm.

here is the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1662

sillybear25
civilized syllabub
Location: Look at me, I'm putting a meta-joke in the Location field.

Postby sillybear25 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Demons! This is certainly a Fun development!
This space intentionally left blank.

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:43 am UTC

I've messaged annals, hopefully it won't be long before the next turn starts.

Edit: annals failed to respond; Moving on to Steve Zissou.
Last edited by Dr. Willpower on Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hat me, bro

Return to “Gaming”