Overrated Games (spoilers)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Minchandre

Overrated Games (spoilers)

Postby Minchandre » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 am UTC

Warning! Flaming ahead!

Inspired by the "meh Halo wasnt that good doodz" thread, I've started a new thread for all games that we thought were generally mediocre (or even bad), but which everyone loved.

My first one has to be Bioshock. It's an okay FPS and a shitty RPG with a pretty cool story. I give it a hearty 7. I enjoyed it, but have not played through a second time, nor will I ever. The game was polished, with well implemented mechanics and controls, and a conceptually cool and reasonably well-written (if completely linear) plot. The problem is, I always hear people calling it a game with one of the best storylines ever. The Baldur's Gate series, which started with you being an orphan in a monastery and ended with you being a god, had an awesome storyline. Arcanum, where you learn that the messiah was nothing of the sort and that everything is a multilevel conspiracy, had an awesome storyline. The recent NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer had an amazingly awesome storyline that I can't reveal without uber spoilers. Bioshock had an okay storyline. I don't want to sound elitist (which means that I will, of course), but I can't help but feel that Bioshock was hailed as being so revolutionary because it was developed for the console market, which was largely unexposed to RPG and morality concepts. The ability to choose between being good and evil is a cool one...if only it weren't more than a decade old. The "RPG-like" aspects involved modifying your character's abilities via tonics and plasmids...but somehow, managed to completely avoid creating any sort of sense of identity. Maybe it was because you could change them essentially at will? Man, I should have tagged this Spoilers earlier..-ST

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Overrated Games

Postby aion7 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:17 pm UTC

I see your Bioshock, and raise it a 007: Goldeneye and a Final Fantasy VII.
Goldeneye did absolutely nothing that hadn't been done before. It didn't even do anything as well as it's predecessors. Also, the graphics have very few colors, so it's hard to tell what things are and the controls are terrible.
Final Fantasy VII is not a bad game. But it is definitely not the best RPG ever. It does nothing (except music) better than FFVI, and debatably nothing better than Chrono Trigger. Also, the story is terrible,there are numerous translation issues, the graphics aged horribly and the characters are unlikable.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

forgace

Postby forgace » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

HALO!!!

Yes, even the first game is overrated and if you're a fan of the games, then you're not a true gamer period.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

Minchandre wrote:Stuff

Sorry to be off-topic, but you're saying that Mask of the Betrayer is good? Thing is I got NWN:2 sitting on the shelf since my computer couldn't run it at the time and I've never really felt like picking it up. But MotB can't be that expensive anymore...

Uh, on topic. Sins of a Solar Empire? I've always heard it was good and I do *want* to play it, but I havn't done so more than once. I like what I heard about an expansion, with the ability to defend systems better, since that was bugging me...
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

guale

Postby guale » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 pm UTC

forgace wrote:HALO!!!

Yes, even the first game is overrated and if you're a fan of the games, then you're not a true gamer period.

Thats a bit of an ignorant statement. While I agree Halo is not a great game and far overrated I disagree that being a fan of it makes you not a true gamer. Sure if Halo is the only game you play you are not and should not even attempt to claim the title.

And if you wish to debate this topic, I invite you to the "What is a Hardcore Gamer" thread already in progress. - ST

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:40 pm UTC

The only reason FF7 continues to get any publicity is due to the hordes of weaboos hurling Sephi-bishie plushies and refusing to do anything until you agree with them. And the cutscenes, and the angst ridden heroes, and so many other medicore experiences that seem so much better when it's your first time.

Blizzard ladder SC/WC is overrated, at least compared to what it's spawned. Tower Defense, AoS/Multiple Competitive Action RPG/DotA to start the list. I'd be perfectly happy playing any other RTS competitively, and probably have, but none have spawned entire genres of games and enabled creators to make money off of them like SC/WC.

kha-khees

Postby kha-khees » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:58 am UTC

Any guitar hero game, or rockband...
I say that because they just bug me, to me they seem to be marketed to people who: Can't react to dynamic situations (FPS, RTS), or can't make decisions (other than a: choosing between rock band or guitar hero; b: choosing a track) (RPG).
That's not to say that one can't enjoy these games while also being able to do those things, but in my experience the majority of people hyping it are as I described.

I'll get stoned for this, but I only recently got myself homeworld 2, and I'm a little disappointed. It's fun but the units all feel the same, with many different ones to fill the same role... Can anyone suggest some good mods?

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:10 am UTC

Minchandre wrote:because it was developed for the console market, which was largely unexposed to RPG and morality concepts.
I'm curious about a couple things here. First, could you elaborate on the "developed for the console market" part? I have it for PC and never noticed anything that screamed "THIS WAS INTENDED FOR CONSOLES!" (unlike the PC version of Resident Evil 4). Also, as far as I can tell, the RPG thing is backwards. Off the top of my head RPGs for consoles that came out before BioShock: damn close to the entire Final Fantasy series including spin-offs, Persona 1-3, Legend of and Secret of Mana, Seiken Den Setsou 3 (sp?), Legend of Legaia, Jade Cacoon I and II, Tales of Destiny and Tales of Symponia, some Baldur's Gate games, a couple Elder Scrolls games, Infinite Undiscovery, Dragon Warrior series, Fable I and II, Dark Cloud, Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant Story, XenoGears, XenoSaga, Star Ocean 1-3, Parasite Eve 1 and 2, Suikoden 1 and 2, Fallout 3. On PC: Ultima series, Elder Scrolls series, a few Final Fantasy games, Skies of Arcadia, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Fallout 1-3, World of Warcraft, EverQuest 1 and 2, Eve Online. I do realize, however, that we could be coming from different worlds and either one or both of us could be wrong, but that statement just struck me as odd.

As for the original topic:
Gears of War. It's an okay FPS that looks pretty, and that's about it. There's nothing revolutionary or mind blowing about it, it just looks pretty. Also, the characters are completely ridiculous and cheesy, from the dialogue to the models themselves. It entertained me for a couple of days, but I was glad I only paid two bucks to rent it instead of 50 to own it.

psion

Postby psion » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:28 am UTC

Surgery wrote:I'm curious about a couple things here. First, could you elaborate on the "developed for the console market" part? I have it for PC and never noticed anything that screamed "THIS WAS INTENDED FOR CONSOLES!"

There is a heavy mouse acceleration for Bioshock that came directly from the console version. Most experienced FPS players couldn't stand to play the game because of it, and the rest just struggled through with it (like myself). If they would fix that I'd play through the game again, but I'm not touching it until they do.

I think the appeal of rockband/guitar hero can be summed down to this.

Overrated can mean a few different things, but if you just mean games I didn't like or found mediocre where everyone else loved them... Fallout 3, Oblivion, God of War, FEAR, every Final Fantasy, Zelda OOT, Crysis... I think those are the main ones.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 am UTC

Minchandre wrote:Arcanum, where you learn that the messiah was nothing of the sort and that everything is a multilevel conspiracy, had an awesome storyline.

Whenever I see someone who knows of Arcanum, much less likes it, I get all tingly inside. Long story short, I think I love you. Marry me?

Re: your main point, yes, western-style RPGs came very late to consoles. And even then, the best ones get passed up. On a somewhat related note, I think Oblivion was a tad overrated. Virtually every game mechanic was superior to Morrowind (excepting the ridiculous simplification of skills), and it was downright gorgeous, but I never really fell into Cyrodiil like I did Vvardenfell, and I was a bit disappointed by the stereotypical "SAVE THE WORLD." Morrowind's political intrigues and fairly limited scope were brilliant. There's no need to save the world, really; saving a colony will do nicely.

I still remember the time I saw trees near Vivec... not nasty, swampy trees, but big, old oaks. It was wonderful.

*drifts off on pleasant memories*
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:48 am UTC

psion wrote:
Surgery wrote:I'm curious about a couple things here. First, could you elaborate on the "developed for the console market" part? I have it for PC and never noticed anything that screamed "THIS WAS INTENDED FOR CONSOLES!"

There is a heavy mouse acceleration for Bioshock that came directly from the console version. Most experienced FPS players couldn't stand to play the game because of it, and the rest just struggled through with it (like myself).
You know what, there was always something I hated about the mouse-look in that game and could never quite put my finger on it. I always wondered why it was so squirrely. And now I know. You, sir, are absolutely correct. And apparently so is the OP.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:53 am UTC

I didn't have any issues with the mouse look in BioShock...then again, I don't find any detriment from "lag" in wireless mice compared to wired ones.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:57 am UTC

Bioshock is about ambience. It's a good game to have around if you can get it for $20. Portal is another one of those games for me that's basically genius but is now too overhyped and ubiquitous to experience properly.

I thought this about Gears of War until I started getting more into it. The whole "shooting people when they pop their head above boxes" thing gets a little old, but not much.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

psion wrote:

There is a heavy mouse acceleration for Bioshock that came directly from the console version. Most experienced FPS players couldn't stand to play the game because of it, and the rest just struggled through with it (like myself). If they would fix that I'd play through the game again, but I'm not touching it until they do.

Holy Christing hell I hate mouse acceleration. Why the hell do they leave it in when they port it from a console? It's in Fallout 3, Dead Space, Bioshock and to a lesser extent in Mass Effect and probably a bunch of other games I haven't played. WHY? That's like forcing someone to use a wheelchair when they are perfectly able to walk (I realise that I've just compared console gamers to disabled people but I couldn't find a better analogy).

You're right about Portal being overrated. It's a god-damn great game and arguably a piece of art, but people screaming about it so often gets annoying =/

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:54 pm UTC

Half-life 2. Vanilla, but especially episode 1.

I mean, hands down, Half-life is better. HL2 was good, sure, but it wasn't half-life. And the weapons sucked. Like the smg which had a range of 10 meters... The mp5 (or whatever it was) in Half-life was a much cooler and more useful weapon.
And ep. 1 did nothing new. OK, jumping over those balls was fun, but cep't that, it was just... meh. The tower part was really boring.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

Ran4 wrote:Half-life 2. Vanilla, but especially episode 1.

I mean, hands down, Half-life is better. HL2 was good, sure, but it wasn't half-life. And the weapons sucked. Like the smg which had a range of 10 meters... The mp5 (or whatever it was) in Half-life was a much cooler and more useful weapon.
And ep. 1 did nothing new. OK, jumping over those balls was fun, but cep't that, it was just... meh. The tower part was really boring.

The problems with Half-Life are all easily fixable! We just needed ONE main gun with a zoom, NO infinitely-respawning enemies, NO snipers you can't shoot, NO Ravenholm and NO ambiguous bits (do I fight until enemies stop coming or is there something else I should be doing?). Half-Life 2 has some great graphics, and it's always satisfying to pop a Combine soldier one, but it's hard to argue that it isn't frustrating and unintuitive much of the way through.

psion

Postby psion » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Half-Life 2 has some great graphics, and it's always satisfying to pop a Combine soldier one, but it's hard to argue that it isn't frustrating and unintuitive much of the way through.

I'll admit that even though I enjoy HL2, that's a pretty good assessment. The graphics, gravity gun, havok physics, and mainly the cult following of the original made HL2 a hit.

My problem with Fallout 3 isn't related to the prior games, but that it was unrewarding and tedious. There are enemies everywhere: ghouls, mirelurks, raiders, mutants, et cetera... You can't walk 10 steps without running into something and you have to spend 20 seconds or more killing it. The combat just seems clumsy, slow, and without strategy. I think it took me over an hour to do the Rilly's Rangers quest simply because of the dozens of Super Mutants, and apart from merely finishing the quest it felt unrewarding and an utter waste of time. Also, despite being called a wasteland, there's quite an abundance of anything you'd ever need.
I'll probably get more than a rebuttal from that, but I'm curious what xkcdians (cunnilingusians?) have to say.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:The problems with Half-Life are all easily fixable! We just needed ONE main gun with a zoom, NO infinitely-respawning enemies, NO snipers you can't shoot, NO Ravenholm and NO ambiguous bits (do I fight until enemies stop coming or is there something else I should be doing?)

I agree with all of the above, except that I enjoyed ravenholm. Coming out into the daylight at the end of the tunnel was the best thing in the world. On my first playthrough there were several times I found myself cowering in a corner with hardly any ammo, hoping that no fast zombies came.
And as to the ambiguous parts... I've never had issue with wondering when to fight and when to run, but there are a few extremely exasperating sections where it is not clear at all where you are supposed to go; Even now, after numerous playthroughs, I still get lost in those spots. The two most blatant offenders I can think of are in ravenholm, when you spend several minutes clambering over rooftops and gregori comes out and tells you "oops wrong side of town", and the other is during the uprising in City 17 just after the citizens pull down the big telescreen... there is a door that is supposed to open and come CPs come out, but they never seem to get triggered unless I loiter aimlessly for about an hour.

Also allow me to add to your list of greivances the pitiful amount of ammo you can carry for some guns, the worst offenders being the Revolver and the Combine Overwatch rifle... 1 clip + 2 reloads? That's rediculous! Especially for an assault rifle. I really like the revolver and would have loved to use it more, but with such little ammo I always find myself hording it instead. The crossbow and RPG launcher too, need much upgraded carrying capacity.

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

psion wrote:My problem with Fallout 3 isn't related to the prior games, but that it was unrewarding and tedious. There are enemies everywhere: ghouls, mirelurks, raiders, mutants, et cetera... You can't walk 10 steps without running into something and you have to spend 20 seconds or more killing it. The combat just seems clumsy, slow, and without strategy. I think it took me over an hour to do the Rilly's Rangers quest simply because of the dozens of Super Mutants, and apart from merely finishing the quest it felt unrewarding and an utter waste of time. Also, despite being called a wasteland, there's quite an abundance of anything you'd ever need.
I'll probably get more than a rebuttal from that, but I'm curious what xkcdians (cunnilingusians?) have to say.

Yeah, that is a problem: Fallout 3 is either extremely simple, or enemies have so much life that it's stupid (I SHOT YOU SIX TIMES IN THE HEAD WITH A MAGNUM, BE DEAD ALREADY). I'd recommend you to up your carrying capacity (via cheating or something) and then make up your own rules to make the game harder. Like no vats or something. Then you play on normal difficulty. Don't increase your repair to over 70. Then at least you don't have to return to sell stuff every 15 minutes.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:46 am UTC

Yeah fighting random crappy things in Fallout 3 gets damn old. I would hardly say it's overrated though, it's a fantastic game, maybe you can argue they made it too long but I think they executed fantastically on what they set out to do. There were very few things that distracted from the feeling that you were in a post apocalyptic society doing give or take whatever the hell you wanted, but also saving the world. There were lots of nice sub plots, lots of straight plot as well.

HL2 I agree machine guns are all damn useless, I find I can use the Shotgun, the Magnum and the Combine Overwatch effectively. I use the assault rifle because I have the extra bullets, but for kiling it's pretty useless.

And as to the ambiguous parts... I've never had issue with wondering when to fight and when to run, but there are a few extremely exasperating sections where it is not clear at all where you are supposed to go; Even now, after numerous playthroughs, I still get lost in those spots. The two most blatant offenders I can think of are in ravenholm, when you spend several minutes clambering over rooftops and gregori comes out and tells you "oops wrong side of town", and the other is during the uprising in City 17 just after the citizens pull down the big telescreen... there is a door that is supposed to open and come CPs come out, but they never seem to get triggered unless I loiter aimlessly for about an hour.

Also allow me to add to your list of greivances the pitiful amount of ammo you can carry for some guns, the worst offenders being the Revolver and the Combine Overwatch rifle... 1 clip + 2 reloads? That's rediculous! Especially for an assault rifle. I really like the revolver and would have loved to use it more, but with such little ammo I always find myself hording it instead. The crossbow and RPG launcher too, need much upgraded carrying capacity.

Agreed with
The Crossbow needed to not have a reload speed of FOUR AGES. I liked the HL1 design, slow clib reload, but 5 shows per clip.

Agreed about getting lost though, just played through episode 2 and that is way WORSE, huge open areas, and there is some little nook you're supposed to go into.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:06 am UTC

Actually, I kind of like the random encounters in Fallout 3. They emphasize the point that you are not in Kansas anymore.

The only beef I have with Fallout 3 is that it is sometimes really hard to find certain places. It took me just short of forever to realize the way to get to Three Dog's radio tower.

Doom 3 is a game I found overrated. Here I am, supposed to be a freaking Space Marine, and I have equipment that is outdated by even today's standards? Not to mention replayability is pretty low, given that enemies always spawn in the same place. Oh, sure, the first time through is alright, sometimes even quite scary, but that's it once you finish.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:32 am UTC

I found vanilla Civ 4 to be a tad unsatisying. The game just goes by too fast,and while you can adjust the speed a little, it doesn't just lower research rate. Seriously, by the time you conquer two neighborin countries you are already in the midieval age. Whatever hapened to Rome? Seriously, they pwnd the entire continent of Europe, which would not ever happen in this game. I don't know if the expansion packs fix it or not, though.

I do rather like the game, though. And the $10 coupon that 2k games was offering (Google it, not sure if it's still valid) helped, especially after Target market it down to $14.98. I got it for $4.98+tax.
Spoiler:

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:32 am UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:
The only beef I have with Fallout 3 is that it is sometimes really hard to find certain places. It took me just short of forever to realize the way to get to Three Dog's radio tower.

Yeah it took me a while to figure that out too. I didn't know you had to go through the subway station, but really the map makes it kind of obvious once you think about it. I do hate the similarity of the environments though.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:17 am UTC

Mass Effect.

Interesting story, good graphics, but mind numbingly reptitive gameplay.

EVERY. SINGLE. PLANET. (except for the story planets) is: land in the mako, get around a frustrating map, hack some artifacts, clear out a base of pirates/whatever and maybe kill one of those worm things. And every battle goes the same way too.

The inventory management was excruciating. Why limit the stuff I can hold if you arent going to give me an easy way to drop it, sell it or melt it down into bio gel?

And for all the talk about the conversation system, every conversation boiled down to this:

(Yes option in disguise)
(No option in disguise)
(ask for more information)
(paragon [charm] option)
(renegade [intimidate] option)

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:26 am UTC

Yeah, I those are pretty general WRPG flaws. WRPGs have some really good qualities, and are often fun, but the amount of content almost always leads to an unnecessarily large amount of repetition.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:39 am UTC

Intercept wrote:Yeah, I those are pretty general WRPG flaws. WRPGs have some really good qualities, and are often fun, but the amount of content almost always leads to an unnecessarily large amount of repetition.

I understand that, but does every planet have to be exactly the same with different colored land?

And every story planet is unlike every regular planet - they all have a path that you die if you leave it.

RetSpline

Postby RetSpline » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 am UTC

kha-khees wrote:I'll get stoned for this, but I only recently got myself homeworld 2, and I'm a little disappointed. It's fun but the units all feel the same, with many different ones to fill the same role... Can anyone suggest some good mods?

Homeworld 2: Complex makes the game, well, more complex. It does still feel a bit "samey", but more fun in my opinion.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:47 am UTC

Randomly:

Portal
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VI
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda
Halo/2/3
Street Fighter 2

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:43 am UTC

Shadic wrote:Randomly:

Portal
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VI
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
The Legend of Zelda
Halo/2/3
Street Fighter 2
and.... why?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

I can't see calling out The Legend of Zelda or Street Fighter 2. SF2 is easily the most popular fighting game of all time. Nothing's even close. The genre is totally dead but at one time, it was gaming's biggest. No game before or after SF2 really captured the genre. That, though, falls flat compared to the legend of zelda which you could say is arguably the most influential game of all time. First off, it's got heaps of polish and depth for something that old. Beyond just being a great game though, it established a benchmark for how well action, adventure, RPG, puzzles and other combinations could be mixed. Ever since, any game that succeeds well at only a few of those seems to be inadequate and shallow. Zelda was amazing on so many levels.

For my "overhyped" game, I'd point at GOTY FPS#1654. There's been a long list over the past decade but it goes something like Halo, Farcry, Fear, Gears, and a dozen other games with more graphics than gameplay. To me, wolfenstein 3D did most of this before DOS was even standard for PC gaming. I guess somebody along the way figured out that they're SO awesome that making bad console ports (halo) forcing people to use analog sticks over mice still didn't ruin the experience.

There are a few FPS that I liked: Wolfenstein 3D, ID's Heretic, Serious Sam 2, Half-life, Team Fortress 2, and some others I'm probably forgetting. I don't think the genre itself sucks, it's just that people get so very in love with bad examples and graphics have become completely over-valued. I play through something like crysis and just get depressed. So much wasted potential.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:55 pm UTC

mosc wrote:SF2 is easily the most popular fighting game of all time. Nothing's even close. The genre is totally dead but at one time, it was gaming's biggest. No game before or after SF2 really captured the genre.
The genre is not dead. SSF2HDR, SF4, BlazBlue, KoF12, and TvC say hi. Why is SF2 the best fighting game ever? Yes it's good, but not as good as SF3:3S, MvC2, or SF4 in my opinion. It's got less depth and is generally more annoying to play.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:37 am UTC

Does this thread have to be about video games? Because I have an overrated card game: Munchkin.

Yes, the card names are amusing, and the card rules are amusing, and so it's amusing the first time you play it. But soon after that, you realize that the gameplay sucks, because there is almost no strategy. One person gets close to victory, and then everyone else plays cards to screw them over and they fall way behind. Then the process repeats itself until one person gets close to victory and everyone else has used up their screw-the-other-guy-over cards and so he wins. The strategy involved is minimal - it's just the luck of who happens to get close to victory at the right moment when their opponents don't have the cards to stop them.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Bearboy

Postby Bearboy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:56 am UTC

Oblivion could go on this list.

It was so watered down compared to Morrowind.

Barely any books in the game, and some of the better ones from morrowind were removed.
Certain armour coming in sets. In Morrowind you could have left and right boots, leggings, gauntlets, pauldrons etc which led to great combinations of Enchantments and cool looking armored characters.
Basic skills. Sure enchanting should never had been a skill but when 3 levels of armour become 2, daggers and longswords work the same and you can't impale your opponent with a spear it just isn't as good.
The creatures. Oh look its a bear/goblin/wolf/crab. How about some more crazy creature ideas. The gliders in Morrowind were awesome. And why are half of the deadra humanoids?
Less politics. All Oblivion has is the rivalry between the fighters guild and the Black Marsh company. In morrowind you got stabbed by certain people if you were a member of an opposing house. The theives guilds war against the local theives.
The guilds. Oh look heres a quest. Your done? Heres another one. In Morrowind you could get quests from atleast 4 different people in the guilds and have many active quests at a time.
The main quest. Morrowind's story was better, required more effort and wasn't as linear. In Oblivion you do one part then the next. Morrowind there was a point with 7 different tasks at hand with their own subtasks which you could do in any order.
Quests. Morrowind had more cyrptic clues and required thinking to solve some quests. No arrows to lead you to the target you did it yourself.
Dungeons. One room dungeons with 4 creatures . Wow... How about Morrowinds massive mines, burial tombs, smugglers dens, towers and fortresses. Massive areas, heaps of creatures and great loot at the end.
Weapons. Oblivion:Sword, axe, warhammer, bow. Morrowind: Shortsword, longsword, axe, warhammer, spear, pickaxe, throwing knives, darts, stars, axes, longbows and crossbows and I remember once being able to equip a bucket(Even if it was weaker than a broken dagger)

/rant

Notch

Postby Notch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:18 am UTC

I tried to hate Oblivion for exactly those reasons (and also for level scaling), but it won me over somehow. I must've played it for some 100 hours.

Chrono Trigger is overrated. The plot makes no sense, the characters are flat, and it suffers from the "you can buy one weapon in each town" syndrome. It absolutely is a good game, but it's not the greatest RPG ever made. (That would be Phantasy Star ;))

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 am UTC

mosc wrote:I play through something like crysis and just get depressed. So much wasted potential.

Hey hey hey, Crysis may be overrated, but it's not just a pretty face. The realism in the gameplay is great and
Spoiler:
have you seen the inside of the alien spaceship? HOLY SHIT. That was awesome. The level design, the artwork, everything. Nailed it. Everything was so alien and unintelligible. It was fantastic.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

Bearboy wrote:Certain armour coming in sets. In Morrowind you could have left and right boots, leggings, gauntlets, pauldrons etc which led to great combinations of Enchantments and cool looking armored characters.
The creatures. Oh look its a bear/goblin/wolf/crab. How about some more crazy creature ideas. The gliders in Morrowind were awesome. And why are half of the deadra humanoids?
Quests. Morrowind had more cyrptic clues and required thinking to solve some quests. No arrows to lead you to the target you did it yourself.

The only armor pieces that had separate sides were gauntlets and pauldrons. Leggings and boots were always a matched pair.
If by "Gliders" you mean "Cliff Racers," then I think you're the only one who thinks that.
Sure that's more fun and all, until you get the world's most vague directions on how to get to a cave out in the middle of nowhere. "Hey walk north, you'll find it! I have faith in you!"

Other than those little nitpicks on your nitpickery, I agree with you.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:00 pm UTC

I can't remember what the directions were, but the end result was a cave a bit south of Balmora. I ended up, after following the directions, on the far north of the island thinking "This can't be right"

I still don't know why they changed Cyrodiil from a jungle to a temperate forest in Oblivion.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Hey hey hey, Crysis may be overrated, but it's not just a pretty face. The realism in the gameplay is great
Crysis made me cry not because it was bad, far from it, but because it was wasted potential. The entire game was a tour of cool things they didn't execute on.

Cool gun upgrades but none that are actually useful for anything. You're going to put the best scope on and besides that nothing matters. The guns were so utterly inaccurate that the gameplay devolved into two ranges 1) 6" or less or 2) half mile sniping that required the best scope, laying down, and 30 seconds to line up a shot. Anything in between made no sense.

They add silencers and cover and stealth meters but then have the AI so twitchy and moronic that it doesn't matter. Enemies go on high alert for nothing and can fire stationary machine guns or snipe into bushes without ever loosing track of you. Helicopters are totally fucking omniscient. Meanwhile, the AI is so stupid that you can funnel them like cattle through choke points.

They added awesome suit powers but then made them all useless besides armor.

They give you an alien space-ship type thing to run around in but make it so un-intuitive that it becomes totally disjoint.

They give you kickass team mates but never let them fight with you as anything more than stationary turrets.

They give you an open world to explore but a totally linear progression.

They give you vehicle sequences but then make them all a race against time.

I'll give it a rest...

I totally agree on Oblivion btw... Coming as a sequel to Morrowind, it just looked like a pretty graphics and AI tech demo by comparison.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:If by "Gliders" you mean "Cliff Racers," then I think you're the only one who thinks that.
Sure that's more fun and all, until you get the world's most vague directions on how to get to a cave out in the middle of nowhere. "Hey walk north, you'll find it! I have faith in you!"

The cliff racers were fun in retrospect...

In Oblivion, I've taken to just setting my quest to the Nirnroot one (no compass), and using the map occasionally to find where I'm going. Also, Cyrodiil is so small. Most of the mechanics are better in Oblivion, though (minus skills and equipment, though, as I said earlier): fighting, magic, not having to start walking every thirty seconds BECAUSE YOUR FATIGUE DRAINS WHILE RUNNING ARGH!

...*twitch*

Maybe they'll make Elder Scrolls 5 more complicated. Hopefully.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

Ghavrel wrote:Maybe they'll make Elder Scrolls 5 more complicated. Hopefully.

It will be interesting to see how they handle leveling; I have seen people complaining about Oblivion's leveling system not letting the player feel powerful, and other people complaining about the Morrowind/Fallout 3 system making the game boring once they finally got powerful.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Gaming”