Are there any free remakes of Oregon Trail for the PC?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

HighCharity

Are there any free remakes of Oregon Trail for the PC?

Postby HighCharity » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:48 am UTC

Or games like it? I'd prefer not to use DOSbox; it's a huge pain in the ass.
Last edited by HighCharity on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Surgery

Re: Are there any free versions of Oregon Trail for the PC?

Postby Surgery » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:37 am UTC

Not sure about the original, but there's this for only a couple bucks.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:41 am UTC

Surgery wrote:Not sure about the original, but there's this for only a couple bucks.

:< I'm a cheapskate-and I know how stupid this sounds, but, as a general rule, I don't buy stuff online. Maybe someone could find a freeware remake/knockoff?
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:48 am UTC

There is one.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 am UTC

HighCharity wrote:
Surgery wrote:Not sure about the original, but there's this for only a couple bucks.

:< I'm a cheapskate-and I know how stupid this sounds, but, as a general rule, I don't buy stuff online. Maybe someone could find a freeware remake/knockoff?

Its a copywritten game. If you want a "free" copy, you can't ask here, because its against forum rules to give out links to stolen software. Fortunately, its fairly common to find if you know the right places to ask.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:36 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:
HighCharity wrote:

Its a copywritten game. If you want a "free" copy, you can't ask here, because its against forum rules to give out links to stolen software. Fortunately, its fairly common to find if you know the right places to ask.

I didn't mean a pirated version, I meant something like what happened with C&C 95.

Vaniver wrote:There is one.

Erm... Was there supposed to be a link in there?

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:
HighCharity wrote:

It's not abandonware by now?

I know I've found some versions online a while back.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:40 pm UTC

Jack21222 wrote:It's not abandonware by now?
Abandonware is a misnomer. There's no such thing, other than what you want to define it as. Games exist in two, and only two, states.

For the purposes of this discussion, I will call them Free (with possible catches) or Pay.

If the game was never released as Free, either by the company saying "'ere you go" or releasing the source code for people to port elsewhere, or even releasing a "free" version with gobs of ingame ads or in any of the other various ways a company can give a game away, then it's Pay - meaning you have to pay someone to play it.

Even if you can't buy it anywhere, and you call up the company and tell them that you'll gladly pay them $50 if they'd burn the files on a CD and send it to you and they say "No", that doesn't mean you can legally go download it. They set the rules for their product, and if they don't want you to have it (and you can't find it for sale secondhand) then you're out of luck. Legally speaking.

Hell, if the company who made it no longer exists because it went out of business, the master copies of the game are presumed destroyed, and every employee of the company is dead... you still can't just download it. Somebody or some corporation owns the rights to the game, and that person(s) or corp would need to release the game to the public as freeware. Even if it turns out that Tom's Tires somehow owns the rights to CoolGame16 (Now with 16 Colors!) and has no interest in attempting to publish it, unless Tom's Tires releases it to the public, it's not freeware, legally speaking.

Hell, X-Com was given away with copies of the magazine PC Gamer once. Just passed out on a CD, free to whoever bought the magazine. Which means that you cannot legally download it from anywhere. You need to have purchased the magazine.

Of course, with the Tom's Tires example, part of it would also involve Tom's Tires actively protecting their copyright on CoolGame16. If they own it, but show no interest in it nor pursue any sort of legal recourse if it comes to their attention that the copyright is being infringed, then it's essentially free as they've given up their legal rights to it. But most games are owned by a gaming company who has an interest in maintaining the copyright, even if it's for something they are not actively publishing nor have any interest in publishing in the future. Usually because they think that several years down the road they may have something with which they can attach the old, unused license and start making some money off of whatever.

Due to the various mergers and so forth that have happened over the years, it's pretty much a safe bet that whatever the ancient game was, EA or Vivindi owns it now.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:It's not abandonware by now?
Abandonware is a misnomer. There's no such thing, other than what you want to define it as. Games exist in two, and only two, states.

For the purposes of this discussion, I will call them Free (with possible catches) or Pay.

If the game was never released as Free, either by the company saying "'ere you go" or releasing the source code for people to port elsewhere, or even releasing a "free" version with gobs of ingame ads or in any of the other various ways a company can give a game away, then it's Pay - meaning you have to pay someone to play it.

Even if you can't buy it anywhere, and you call up the company and tell them that you'll gladly pay them $50 if they'd burn the files on a CD and send it to you and they say "No", that doesn't mean you can legally go download it. They set the rules for their product, and if they don't want you to have it (and you can't find it for sale secondhand) then you're out of luck. Legally speaking.

Hell, if the company who made it no longer exists because it went out of business, the master copies of the game are presumed destroyed, and every employee of the company is dead... you still can't just download it. Somebody or some corporation owns the rights to the game, and that person(s) or corp would need to release the game to the public as freeware. Even if it turns out that Tom's Tires somehow owns the rights to CoolGame16 (Now with 16 Colors!) and has no interest in attempting to publish it, unless Tom's Tires releases it to the public, it's not freeware, legally speaking.

Hell, X-Com was given away with copies of the magazine PC Gamer once. Just passed out on a CD, free to whoever bought the magazine. Which means that you cannot legally download it from anywhere. You need to have purchased the magazine.

Of course, with the Tom's Tires example, part of it would also involve Tom's Tires actively protecting their copyright on CoolGame16. If they own it, but show no interest in it nor pursue any sort of legal recourse if it comes to their attention that the copyright is being infringed, then it's essentially free as they've given up their legal rights to it. But most games are owned by a gaming company who has an interest in maintaining the copyright, even if it's for something they are not actively publishing nor have any interest in publishing in the future. Usually because they think that several years down the road they may have something with which they can attach the old, unused license and start making some money off of whatever.

Due to the various mergers and so forth that have happened over the years, it's pretty much a safe bet that whatever the ancient game was, EA or Vivendi owns it now.

I guess my question was really are there any free remakes or games similar to it.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:37 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Abandonware is a misnomer. There's no such thing, other than what you want to define it as. Games exist in two, and only two, states.

I hate to disagree with you ST, but in the case of a company being truely defunct, having filed chapter 11 and having failed to sell the game rights to allay any unsettled debts, the game is abandonware. It is a game where the original creating company does not exist, and cannot reclaim the copyright, but no individual can claim current copyright due to it being copy written under a company and not them specifically.

If the company who made it goes out of business, like you said, then it "is" illegal to download, however the state cannot follow up on any charges against for theft, as the original company would have to do that. Its a weird legal status where something is illegal, but nobody anywhere could ever prosecute you for it. And does it really count as illegal if its an act that carries literally no punishment?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Re: Are there any free remakes of Oregon Trail for the PC?

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:01 am UTC

HOW DARE YOU DISGRACE THE NAME OF THE TRAIL BY ATTEMPTING TO TRAVEL SOME CHEAP KNOCKOFF LIKE THE MORMON! YOU NOW MUST LOSE AN OXEN AND SUFFER THE TERRIBLE WRATH OF DYSENTERY!

Also, Mary has Cholera.

But actually, there are downloadable copies of the original game that work on windows available. I will not tolerate you screwing MECC out of any hard earned cash. At the very least you could send Don Rawitsch, Bill Heinemann, and Paul Dillenberger five bucks.

Or you can just play it online for free: This post had objectionable content.Looking in to it -ST

And under no circumstances will you ever beat my high scores. Oregon Trail was the one and only game that I every kicked ass at. I'm rather upset it isn't included in those gamer olympics. I could have gone pro I tell you.
Last edited by SecondTalon on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:46 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of http://www.virtualapple.org/oregontraildisk.html

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:44 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:And does it really count as illegal if its an act that carries literally no punishment?
For the purposes of this board? Yes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

HighCharity wrote:Erm... Was there supposed to be a link in there?
No. It's trivial to find by searching the internet.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
HighCharity wrote:Erm... Was there supposed to be a link in there?
No. It's trivial to find by searching the internet.

You know, there's no reason to be an ass.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:49 pm UTC

The Thule Trail is a free online version of the Oregon Trail. And by version I mean it's set in the modern area and you play as a bunch of friends heading towards the best rock concert ever on a road trip across the country.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

Okita wrote:The Thule Trail is a free online version of the Oregon Trail.

I'm still waiting for Oregon Trail: Moon Patrol.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:40 am UTC

HighCharity wrote:You know, there's no reason to be an ass.
You're asking for a copyrighted game, which is readily available for download at one of the larger sites available for downloading old, copyrighted games, on a forum that disapproves of sharing such files. I consider that reason enough.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:11 am UTC

He was asking for a freeware/knockoff, not an illegal copy.

Return to “Gaming”