Aion

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chfan

Aion

Postby Chfan » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:33 am UTC

From the makers of Guild Wars and Lineage. My fellow Guild wars players have tried the beta. It looks very cool and I was considering pre-ordering it so I could get in on the beta.

Official site: http://www.aiononline.com/us/
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

DreadArchon

Re: Aion

Postby DreadArchon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:21 pm UTC

I've been watching this, but I don't know if I'll have the time or computing power to play it. :?

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:24 am UTC

I looooooove it.

A game where I can objectify men instead of having to roll women because the males are so hideous (WoW, WAR, etc.).

And fun to boot ;3

P.S. The graphics actually look much nicer in-game. I just don't know if it's the screenshot function from the game or photobucket that really lowers the quality =/.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Phen

Aion

Postby Phen » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

Wise people of the Gaming subforum, what's this about an upcoming MMO called Aion? I just heard of it (and stumbled upon a wiki, too), but know almost nothing except the name. So what's the word on the seedy streets of the net?
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:02 pm UTC

From my examination of the game: It is an "exactly generic korean-themed MMO", with the ability to fly in about 1/3rd of the zones (almost all of the ones shown in beta, but a very small portion of the ones you actually can play in). Other than this one mechanic, it only stands out in that it has perminant, no-carebare PvP in some zones (the best ones for leveling and getting loot), which will likely lead to lots of high-levels ganking low levels all over the place.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

1) It's a Ncsoft game without required grind
2) The only way to get to the opposing factions zones are through random rifts that are very rare that put you in level appropriate zones of the enemy faction. All other PVP will happen in the Abyss which is 20 plus.

So ganking? Not to much.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:35 am UTC

MMOs without Grind? You make me laugh.
NCsoft game without Grind? You make me laugh.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:21 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:MMOs without Grind? You make me laugh.
NCsoft game without Grind? You make me laugh.

You must have an interesting choice in comedians.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:48 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:1) It's a Ncsoft game without required grind

I'm going to have to ask for confirmation on this. What stops it from being a grind? I've seen nothing new/exceptional about the XP system.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:52 pm UTC

AY! Why are my threads always copied?

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:10 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:

I'm going to have to ask for confirmation on this. What stops it from being a grind? I've seen nothing new/exceptional about the XP system.

Well one, I got all the way to level 20 purely through quests. I guess you could say questing is grinding, but when your paying attention to the story it seems like reading a book. There is a XP penalty when you die, but it can be fixed for a small cash amount, akin to repairing items in wow. Seeing as your armor doesn't need to be repaired it makes some sense. You can choose to grind if you want to, but I see no reason to do it. At no point will you run out of quests and have to grind levels in order to continue.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

The game has 50 levels though. And it could be like Age of Conan, where the first 20 levels were incredibly polished, and after that it was like playing an all together different (worse) game.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:AY! Why are my threads always copied?

I'm afraid that's classified information.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:47 am UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:
CogDissident wrote:

Well one, I got all the way to level 20 purely through quests. I guess you could say questing is grinding, but when your paying attention to the story it seems like reading a book. There is a XP penalty when you die, but it can be fixed for a small cash amount, akin to repairing items in wow. Seeing as your armor doesn't need to be repaired it makes some sense. You can choose to grind if you want to, but I see no reason to do it. At no point will you run out of quests and have to grind levels in order to continue.

So then most P2P MMOs don't have a grind? WoW has quests all the way to 80. Hell it has quests to do all the way to 80 twice over, it's VERY easy to quest upto 80.

The only MMOs I've played which -require- you sit there and kill mobs are most of the F2P ones.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:52 pm UTC

No, Guild wars is F2P and its levels cap at 20. The only farming you do is if you want the rare, shiny, but pretty useless in a practical sense equipment.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:No, Guild wars is F2P and its levels cap at 20. The only farming you do is if you want the rare, shiny, but pretty useless in a practical sense equipment.

I said -most- F2P are the ones with the grind, not all.

And even then I wouldn't consider GW F2P... it might not be subscription based but you have to pay to get it. Also if I remember correctly, unless they've changed it, I'm pretty sure you have to farm the skills.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Aura Nightbane

Postby Aura Nightbane » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:52 pm UTC

farming the skills? there's many ways too acquire skills in guildwars....

sure you can do it by buying the skills, which after a few skills costs a good bit. but if you finish the storylines and want to PvP(which seems to be what holds people to the game after the story) you can unlock skills with the faction you get from PvP.

there are a few other ways, but gold/platinum is not hard too come by, and it most certainly isnt a grind, unless you want to make it one.

Hitsuzen

Postby Hitsuzen » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:18 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:The game has 50 levels though. And it could be like Age of Conan, where the first 20 levels were incredibly polished, and after that it was like playing an all together different (worse) game.

Except it is already being played in korea and china and this has not been reported.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:53 am UTC

So, I downloaded the client, was given access to a closed beta key, and was super excited for Thursday. Then it turned out this computer doesn't even have the minimum requirements for the game and that it installs what's essentially a rootkit on your computer. Now I'm in a much worse mood. Still, I saved all the client info to an external drive so when I buy a gaming comp at the beginning of september I can have it installed and ready for release if it gets good reviews.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

I picked it up off steam as a preorder, and will be looking forward to some betas to try. A few friends of mine are in the Aion beta, and they've really enjoyed it. I've also read a review of the korean version, and while there were a few issues (one faction looks worse than the other environment wise), they said they really really enjoyed the game and hope some of the issues will be fixed when brough over here.

I'm looking forward to a new MMO to play, and this seems like a good enough one to give a go. Now to find other interested parties to join me.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:AY! Why are my threads always copied?
Because Phen doesn't search?
Because you don't report threads with a "Merge with this thread here http://linktotherightthread?
Because you touch yourself a night?

Pick three.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:13 pm UTC

So, betas eh? It's not a bad game. It's pretty bland though. I mean, it looks pretty, but the first 10 levels of either side are EXACTLY THE SAME.

We'll see how far it goes. I don't think this will become an addiction the way WoW did so many years ago. but I think I'll pay for it to have as a time waster.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Wings are lame, fuck wings.

Classes: Wow what a surprise. The exact same classes and class changes since classes and class changes existed.

And as far as graphics goes it looks like the upcoming Blade and Soul rips Aion asunder (assuming it leaves Korea...).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:25 am UTC

After playing the demo/beta/whatever they're calling it. I can confirm that this infact has the same, if not more of a grind than any other MMO. Every quest, without variation, is "kill X monsters" or "go talk to this person far away and come back here". Not even the attempt at any other more interesting quests. Combat is very same-y, there is no real tactics to fights that I've seen.

It extremely heavilly reminds me of, not WoW, but Runes of Magic. It makes me think that it is a dumbed-down-version of the dumbed-down-version of WoW. So heavilly diluted and having every spark of interesting game mechanic removed (even flight only works in certain areas, and many of those areas disallow flight for no real reason whatsoever). Most games (warhammer, city of heroes, WoW in a lot of the better made zones) have mobs wandering around areas doing things that are approiate. Wolves chase NPC rabbits, bandits sit around campfires, villians rob a storefront. It at least gives the illusion of an active world. The reason this reminds me of Runes of Magic is that its quite clear that most mobs just spawn in a wide brush-painted zone and wander around, doing nothing in particular. They just kind of walk around at random, and don't interact with their environment at all. Its one of the huge points of polish that it lacks that makes the illusion fail.

And I honestly don't think it looks good, because the sliders let you make characters who all look extremely abnormal. A human with arms hanging down to their ankles, a 3ft tall man who is 5ft wide, a head as wide as their own shoulder. It just looks like a stretched out cartoon with how people make their characters, and the "realism" of most of the scenery just makes this stand out far more.

Only plus side of the game is that male characters using the "young" voice get Prince Zuko's voice actor from Avatar.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:05 am UTC

.....Till what level did you play the beta?

I can tell you pretty much that most MMO's are grinds outside of endgame, and they will continue to be until the leveling system is abolished (which it won't; buys a month or two of sub payment before people can try endgame; judging the endgame takes another month or so, so they're maximizing profits).

Outside of games like Guild Wars, you will never be able to properly judge the game until you reach endgame.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:11 am UTC

There are other reasons for grinding you know... people like to have a sense of accomplishment with their character and hitting max level or getting high levels (if max levels is nigh unattainable) is part of building up your character. It also allows an easy way to ramp up the difficulty while adding in more skills and mechanics so you aren't overwhelmed with the game.

If none of those things were benefits or attractive features to players then they wouldn't have a grind because 1-2 months worth of subscription isn't worth the years of subscription from all the people who left because they didn't like those features...

The people people still actually play WoW and Aion etc. is because they don't mind the grind... and some people actually like it, some people only have fun when they're levelling and getting new skills.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:There are other reasons for grinding you know... people like to have a sense of accomplishment with their character and hitting max level or getting high levels (if max levels is nigh unattainable) is part of building up your character. It also allows an easy way to ramp up the difficulty while adding in more skills and mechanics so you aren't overwhelmed with the game.

If none of those things were benefits or attractive features to players then they wouldn't have a grind because 1-2 months worth of subscription isn't worth the years of subscription from all the people who left because they didn't like those features...

The people people still actually play WoW and Aion etc. is because they don't mind the grind... and some people actually like it, some people only have fun when they're levelling and getting new skills.

The difference between "grindy" MMO's and wow is 1) The variety of grind available, and 2) The rewards as compared to time invested.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:43 am UTC

Right that is why I typically reserve the word "grindy" for MMOs like MapleStory etc. and not just for anything where you have to level... like how Lucrece was using it.

My point was the 'grindy' levelling system isn't for "leeching money while people don't get to play the real game yet"... it's for getting more players (to get more money) and difficulty curve smoothing.

Personally I would like a levelling system where you have an "endgame level range" rather than a "max level" like PSO where endgame happens around 130-150. Preferably where extra levels do improve you character but not overly so (Ie. A level 130 vs level 150 would be a fairly decent matchup) so that gear and skill can subvert that. That being said, PSO's levelling was grindy as hell and only tolerable with friends.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

Yeah, playing the demo hasn't really made me want to pay the subscription fee on this.

At least I get a month of playing.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:54 am UTC

Point is, leveling is a grind that's not appreciated by people. I would much prefer a grind based on skill than one based on time investment or mind-numbing repetitiveness. People in most MMO's don't even enjoy the leveling content; they just rush through it, don't read quest text, don't participate in the story simply because what ultimately matters is competition at endgame.

Having grinds based on matches and scoring, emphasizing player skill over time availability (aka "I'm getting 1-2 weeks off work for this MMO release to level up before everyone else in order to get a competitive advantage!") is ideal to me.

Until then, Aion is still a great game at endgame despite irritating me with the tried and tired MMO leveling model. I want everything I do be part of my enjoyment of the game, not some race in order to FINALLY enjoy the game at lv50. It has fantastic PvP mechanics if you were one of the people able to play K-Aion (Korea, the most up to date version, and most active as well) at lv50.

Just saying that judging a game for followed the same model most MMO's have made for their leveling is silly, since leveling is pretty much the expected pain before enjoying the game at endgame. I don't agree with this model, but I wish people would judge the game based on endgame rather than on some shallow, ephemeral stage of the game.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:59 am UTC

While Aion's leveling could be fun, the story that was being told didn't draw me in, it felt tacked on and superfucial(sp?). Unlike WoW's which has a huge fleshed out lore that is beautiful,interesting, and expansive. Yes leveling will always feel like a grind if you don't let it tell you a story, but it is still a grind if the story doesn't draw you in.

Basicly, Aions story kind of sucks right now.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:53 am UTC

"Levelling is a grind that is not appreciated by people" - This may apply to you but MANY people appreciate levelling. People keep trying to say that these games should not be able time but about skill but why? Just because you like skill games better than time games? What about all the other RPGs that aren't MMOs they are essentially time games... People LIKE building up powerful characters, they like doing it... that is why RPGs and MMORPGs exist. If you don't want a grind and just want skill that's fine, go play a game where you can skip to the last level and gear is nigh inconsequential... but the prolific existence of levelling is a sign that people actually like to level and build up their chars.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:32 pm UTC

The entire reason people like leveling is that flash of light or nifty item they got from a quest. It's all about reward. With endgame even though you've downed that big bad, you don't always get a reward other than a badge or two and even then you aren't always guaranteed a reward from that every time. So if the game was only endgame, almost no one would play because their is no obvious progression and you aren't fully rewarded for every action.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

Endgame's where the real progression begins. When you've got your full skillset and are actually facing the challenging content. When you're really investing yourself into getting gear as opposed of not giving a damn while leveling because whatever gear you obtain will be discarded.

And, yes, I'm aware people like to invest time. I simply object to leveling as a way to intelligently create a grind. It's a boring grind to many people. You can have a game with grind and fun, and that's Aion's endgame. Until endgame, however, the grind is for the sake of rushing to get to 50 and start the real grind.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:15 pm UTC

I don't know, I think Aion has a pretty good story. It's simple and isn't totally important to the game as I've seen so far, but still remains interesting.

Also, I preordered today! *dances*

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

Endgame is where the least progression is, you don't get any new skills, you don't get any new perks such as mounts or new battlegrounds. The only measurable progression in endgame is boss progression and gear progression, both of which take the most time invested v.s. the most rewards reaped. I could kill the final big bad of a dungeon 1000 times but my shoulders could never drop. Were as I know I'm always going to get a new skill for reaching the next level.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:13 am UTC

And yet that progression will never stand up to the progression a player in endgame will see. The difference between a character who reached 50 fresh and one who's decked out and practiced endgame PvP as opposed to grinding boorish mobs is immense.

And, yeah, methinks people are dismissing Aion's story without basis. Most of the story is developed in-game. One of the things I love is that you can go to the library and read many, many tomes that flesh out the story, give tips on crafting, even give hints for progression, and some of them even trigger a CINEMATIC on storylines. Whereas libraries in most other games were, well, USELESS.

People are playing some measly 30 levels in a beta that limits playtime to a weekend/week to judge the game. It's just such a distorted lens.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

I started it. It's pretty fun so far, but I'm not looking forward to doing Ishalgen 8 times...

psion

Postby psion » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

"You know what's really cool? Wings. Let's put them everywhere, feet, legs, back, head, tits, shoulders, hands."
And yet, for some reason, it is pretty cool.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Wings are lame, fuck wings.

Seriously, especially Aion's wings. Wings are only cool if they're not really wing-type wings.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Return to “Gaming”