Games them were canceled and you want to played

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Methos319

Games them were canceled and you want to played

Postby Methos319 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:58 am UTC

Remember that game that you were dying to play, but then you heard it was can canceled? Talk about the games that when canceled you felt like your life was over.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Games that where cancelled and you wanted to play

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:28 am UTC

Starcraft: Ghost, because in my mind it was going to be awesome and I added a Battlezone like spin to it when dreaming of taking down Ultralisks whilst invisible with psyblades.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm UTC

Do MMOs that got killed off count? If so, Tabula Rasa and Face of Mankind. Tabula Rasa was some great simple sci-fi, and despite having guns it really was just an RPG. And Face of Mankind... ahh, it could have been revolutionary if it wasn't so exotic. Its unconventional nature stopped it from getting popular. Alas, it has gone under the knife and is supposed to emerge as a generic MMO except in space. It'll probably still fail. Every MMO I've ever loved has either died or been transformed into something bland and uninteresting =(

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Do MMOs that got killed off count? If so, Tabula Rasa and Face of Mankind. Tabula Rasa was some great simple sci-fi, and despite having guns it really was just an RPG. And Face of Mankind... ahh, it could have been revolutionary if it wasn't so exotic. Its unconventional nature stopped it from getting popular. Alas, it has gone under the knife and is supposed to emerge as a generic MMO except in space. It'll probably still fail. Every MMO I've ever loved has either died or been transformed into something bland and uninteresting =(

Please don't play EVE then.

I played the beta for Tabula Rasa, and... well, I'm going to be blunt here: it really, REALLY sucked. I played for maybe as much as ten hours altogether, because it was such an interesting concept and I WANTED it to be cool, not because it was actually cool or fun to play. There is not one thing that comes to mind about that game that I actually liked. Besides, Tabula Rasa got released and then got shut down, not canceled in development. It was out for over a year.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

I'm disappointed that Duke Nukem Forever appears to be canceled. Not so much because I wanted to play it, but because I found its ever-increasing development time hilarious.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

Any game that follows the Korean MMO style of advancement is fairly boring to me. I hate feeling like my choices in training are irreversible, and that there's an 'optimal' way to train a character. Tabula Rasa was just this all over again, with an added spoof of being able to make copies of a character very *very* occasionally (I think it was 4 per toon?), and try your hand at a different training route, ONCE.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

One thing I loved about Tabula Rasa was that quest outposts could be taken over by mobs. Made it more immersive and added to the realism of the war feeling. Gameplay was far too basic for me to enjoy though and I think I only made it to level 12 or 13 before I just got bored.

It is very tough for me to know about games that I wanted to play and were cancelled because you never really know enough about them to make any sort of sound judgement.
That being said the greatest game concept that I wanted to happen was the Blizzard April fools World of Starcraft. I would love a MMO where I could play a Zergling.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:39 pm UTC

Demonik looked like it could've been pretty cool.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:49 pm UTC

Dungeon Keeper 3. This series was awesome, but then Bullfrog got eaten by EA, and it never saw the light of day.

Methos319

Postby Methos319 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:16 pm UTC

Ya it really sucked when i heard Eight Days didn`t make it i felt like i was gonna die. :(

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Mythos. The only MMO I liked was killed off during beta.

Also, Duke Nukem: Forever, StarCraft: Ghost, and, if it counts (never officially announced, but it would have been made if the licence had not been taken away) Marvel vs Capcom 3.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

Can you please change the title from "where" to "were"? Sorry that's bugging me...

</pendantry>

Edit: Thanks Fjafjan.

On topic, there was a really cool looking Zelda that was meant to be on the gamecube in "real" style but they ended up making windwaker, which was ok but I'd have really wanted to play that other game. Mind you, I'm guessing they turned most of it into Twilight Princess, but still...
Last edited by thicknavyrain on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:19 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Games that were cancelled and you wanted to play

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
Full Throttle:Payback or Full Throttle:Hell on Wheels. Either one would have been nice.
Ultima 8's planned Expansion pack.
Hell, the Ultima 9 they were trying to make, over the one they made.
... actually, I'd rather play the Ultimas they wanted to make before EA bought them. Funny, that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Methos319

Postby Methos319 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:</pendantry>

On topic, there was a really cool looking Zelda that was meant to be on the gamecube in "real" style but they ended up making windwaker, which was ok but I'd have really wanted to play that other game.

Ya i heard that game was gona be good too. :|

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:14 pm UTC

A while ago, there was a HL2 mod that was a 3-d adaptation of 5 Days a Stanger, which may be the best adventure game of the decade. It hasn't made any noise in a couple years, and the site's down.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

One of many, many examples of why it's best to just not pay much attention to a mod until it's got something workable. And I do mean beyond a map.. I mean gameplay elements are mostly in place, maps are mostly done, just needs a bit of polish to top it off, perhaps getting rid of some of the placeholder text (if any).. that sort of thing. More or less the boring crap people haven't done yet because it's boring. Far, far too many mods have incredible ideas that end up burning out before they finish the maps and only have a few objects rendered.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 am UTC

There was gonna be a game based on Stargate and it was gonna be awesome. It was just a few months from release when the publisher (jowood) pulled the plug. Perception (the developer) moved on to Namco, but Jowood claimed they had the rights to the game and the already written code. By the time the legal battle was over, the project was hopelessly outdated.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

Well, I think you mean the FPS, but stargate worlds looks like it will never materialize either.

this is to condense the tabula rasa discussion:
Spoiler:
Xaddak wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:Do MMOs that got killed off count? If so, Tabula Rasa and Face of Mankind. Tabula Rasa was some great simple sci-fi, and despite having guns it really was just an RPG. And Face of Mankind... ahh, it could have been revolutionary if it wasn't so exotic. Its unconventional nature stopped it from getting popular. Alas, it has gone under the knife and is supposed to emerge as a generic MMO except in space. It'll probably still fail. Every MMO I've ever loved has either died or been transformed into something bland and uninteresting =(

Please don't play EVE then.

I played the beta for Tabula Rasa, and... well, I'm going to be blunt here: it really, REALLY sucked. I played for maybe as much as ten hours altogether, because it was such an interesting concept and I WANTED it to be cool, not because it was actually cool or fun to play. There is not one thing that comes to mind about that game that I actually liked. Besides, Tabula Rasa got released and then got shut down, not canceled in development. It was out for over a year.

I played the beta of Tabula Rasa too and there were serious problems with it. I didn't mind the base gameplay, but it was terribly balanced. I quite liked the story and idea of collecting logos, but they were done in completely unconvincing ways.

How bad? You have guns. The important thing about a gun (the ONLY important thing) was the melee damage. That would've been the case even if ammo wasn't so goddamn expensive. Then the super psychic abilities or whatever? Well, you used increasing numbers of skill points to upgrade them, which gave you the awesome benefit of lower damage:energy ratios, so it was better to just spam the level 1 skill. Oh and none of the NPCs seem to know or care that Earth and everyone they ever knew is gone.

Oh and the cloning idea was done really badly too.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Postby thicknavyrain » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:28 pm UTC

Atmosck wrote:A while ago, there was a HL2 mod that was a 3-d adaptation of 5 Days a Stanger, which may be the best adventure game of the decade. It hasn't made any noise in a couple years, and the site's down.

The drool coming from my mouth right now is enough to flood their offices. Maybe that'll get them working again...
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:58 pm UTC

Some years ago they were making a space sim / squad rpg in the Fading Suns universe, I think I even played something like a demo. I was quite excited about it.

HalfEvil333

Postby HalfEvil333 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:05 pm UTC

Shadowrun 2 :(

More the fact that the company went down and overall everyone else just didn't seem to like Shadowrun. I loved that game like my mother for about a year. Too bad some people didn't like it enough to even give it a good go :x

It's the squeal that I have always wanted but I am probably never going to get. QQ
Spoiler:

Loves: Photoshop, Games, Music.
Hates: Life.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Methos319 wrote:
thicknavyrain wrote:</pendantry>

On topic, there was a really cool looking Zelda that was meant to be on the gamecube in "real" style but they ended up making windwaker, which was ok but I'd have really wanted to play that other game.

Ya i heard that game was gona be good too. :|

Ummm... you mean Twilight Princess which was developed for the GCN but took so long that they released it on the GCN and the Wii at the same time...?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

psion

Postby psion » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:54 am UTC

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

thicknavyrain wrote:Can you please change the title from "where" to "were"? Sorry that's bugging me...

Better now?

On topic, Baldur's Gate 3. I am not sure it was ever MADE, but damnit it was cancelled SOMEHOW.
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Xaddak

Re: Games them were canselled and you want too played

Postby Xaddak » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

The title, it burns us!

A lot of people seem to be naming games that have been released... Tabula Rasa, Twilight Princess...
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Jack21222

Re: Games them were canceled and you want to played

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:40 am UTC

I was really looking forward to Horizons: Empires of Istaria before it was gutted and completely redesigned. Sure, it wasn't "canceled," but the original vision of the game was killed and replaced with something more generic.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:28 am UTC

psion wrote:Freelancer 2

You...you mean they WERE making one? Excuse me, but I'm going to go cry in a corner now :cry:.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:26 am UTC

That one Firefly MMORPG has got to be on some people's lists here. Then again, I don't play MMORPGs as a matter of personal preservation.

Skies of Arcadia 2 looks canceled. This makes me sad. I also wouldn't be surprised if BG&E 2 gets canceled, which might make me jump off of a bridge. It's safer to get invested in mainstream games - what with Halo DDSOT and Halo: Electric Juggabuggaboo and Blargcraftiablo 3 all but givens.

Uh, and swim in the cool, cool water below.

EDIT: Warcraft Adventures. I remember my PC Gamer days :).

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:04 am UTC

The sequel to Beyond Good and Evil. (Let's just leave you with a cliff-hanger, why don't we?)
The sequel to XIII. (Again with the cliff-hangers.)
The sequel to Knights of the Old Republic. (Notable because KOTOR II was released after it was cancelled, but they thought we wouldn't notice.)
The sequel to Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. (/blocks ears. LA LA LA! I'M NOT LISTENING!)
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:14 am UTC

Pez Dispens3r wrote:The sequel to Beyond Good and Evil.

Huh?

Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Hmmm, last I heard it had been suspended indefinitely.

Thanks, Amnesiasoft, you've made me a happy man.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:29 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Starcraft: Ghost, because in my mind it was going to be awesome and I added a Battlezone like spin to it when dreaming of taking down Ultralisks whilst invisible with psyblades.
OH GOD YES YES YES!

Also: Dungeon Keeper 3

kha-khees

Postby kha-khees » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

Van Buren, the original fallout 3.
I think it could have outshined Bethesda's any day.
Watching this actually causes that feeling just before you cry, for me.

zombie_monkey

Postby zombie_monkey » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 am UTC

Van Buren was never canceled. Can't hear you, la la la.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:40 am UTC

kha-khees wrote:Van Buren, the original fallout 3.
I think it could have outshined Bethesda's any day.
Watching this actually causes that feeling just before you cry, for me.

Honestly I thought that look had its time to shine and it was time to move on. Still, I can't help but wish the real-time battle elements weren't quite as prevalent in 3. Makes easier fights faster, I guess. . .

MiB24601

Postby MiB24601 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:01 am UTC

"Babylon 5: Into the Fire" is the game that was canceled and I really want to play. All the previews for it raved about the quality of the game. It brought the Babylon 5 cast and crew back together to create an entirely new, in-continuity story and if that wasn't enough (although it totally is enough for me), the gameplay and graphics were supposed to blow away Freespace 2, which was another space-fighter combat game released the same year. What makes the game's cancelation even more aggravating is that the game was canceled so late that some gaming magazines didn't have time to pull their reviews and published them the month the game was supposed to hit stores.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:50 am UTC

Donkey Kong Plus: An enhanced remake of Donkey Kong '94 (The GB game), planned to have link support to the Gamecube, where you had access to a level designer. The project was transformed into Mario Vs. Donkey Kong, a mediocre spiritchild of the original game.

The planned 3rd Oracle game.

And whatever "Chrono Break" was about... Also, the 3D fan remake that Square shut down.

achan1058

Postby achan1058 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:16 am UTC

Add another vote to SC: Ghost.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:29 am UTC

The rumored Big new project that Ensemble Studios were starting on at time of closure. The project that Big Huge Games were working on that may or may not be dead in the water. Mechwarrior 5(I'm happy that the new one has been announced and all, but I still would've liked to have seen what was being worked on come to fruition.)
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

Look, we're all terribly interested in Starcraft Ghost or what the fuck ever but as it's been mentioned about 80 bajillion* times let's stop talking about it - especially if you're not going to say anything beyond "I wanted to play it". At least say *why* you think Blizzard could have pulled a stealth 3rd person game out of their ass when their previous successful track history is in isometric hack&slash and RTS. Alright?

This is your official warning. From here on out, if you don't say "why" you wanted to play Starcraft Ghost, I'm just deleting your post.

*Yes, I'm aware that reality is closer to 4, if we don't count the moron with the "In B4"** post that's now rotting in the boneyard. But I've not noticed any other game really getting such repetition and I'd like to stop it *now*, before this becomes the 50 page "I wanted to play Starcraft Ghost too!" thread, with occasional mentions of other games thrown in.

**Also, unfunny "in b4" posts are unfunny. That is why you fail.

Return to “Gaming”