Games them were canceled and you want to played

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: Games them were canceled and you want to played

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Look, we're all terribly interested in Starcraft Ghost or what the fuck ever but as it's been mentioned about 80 bajillion times let's stop talking about it - especially if you're not going to say anything beyond "I wanted to play it". At least say *why* you think Blizzard could have pulled a stealth 3rd person game out of their ass when their previous successful track history is in isometric hack&slash and RTS. Alright?

This is your official warning. From here on out, if you don't say "why" you wanted to play Starcraft Ghost, I'm just deleting your post.

To be honest I think the hype around it is largely because Starcraft was so awesome and because Blizzard has a good track record. It would be interesting to see if it was a good game because then we'd know if Blizzard just worked well in their niche or if they were just really awesome at producing games.

Maybe part of the reason it was cancelled is because they realised that they sucked at shooters?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Griffin

Postby Griffin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Starsiege 2 (Earthsiege 4?)

Instead, they decided to cancel it to make Starsiege:Tribes, a spin-off, which was certainly successful for them, but I loved the original for so very many years. I need to know what happens next! Did Prometheus survive somehow? What happened with the cybrid infighting? Whos in charge? Was Caanon Weather's actually a Cybrid Trojan or had he become an Immortal with Petreus's technology? I will never know.

Star Control 3 / UQM 2 (A Canon SC3, not that SC3 from another company scooping up the license and making it without any participation from the actual Star Control team, who are still around)... though I have heard some rumours about this, they are probably lies. :(
Bdthemag: "I don't always GM, but when I do I prefer to put my player's in situations that include pain and torture. Stay creative my friends."

Bayobeasts - the Pokemon: Orthoclase project.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:To be honest I think the hype around it is largely because Starcraft was so awesome and because Blizzard has a good track record. It would be interesting to see if it was a good game because then we'd know if Blizzard just worked well in their niche or if they were just really awesome at producing games.

Maybe part of the reason it was cancelled is because they realised that they sucked at shooters?
But we also know they are (or at least were) good at making puzzle platformers (The Lost Vikings) and top-down racers (Rock N' Roll Racing).
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:12 pm UTC

And as you can tell by the titles they produced, the other games they made did so much for their bottom line that they barely had time to buy the company that made Diablo for them. I mean, because of Blackthorne 3's sales, we still haven't gotten Diablo II, and what with the announcement of Justice League Task Force 7: Darkseid Lives, we probably never will.

.. oh, wait.

But seriously, the last 14 years have been RTS or Action RPG games, with a side-step into a MMO mix of the two. They've started attempts at other games - Point & Click Adventure and 3rd Person Stealth Shooter or whatever, but... they obviously (wisely) looked at what they were making and though it was crap, and stopped production.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:16 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Look, we're all terribly interested in Starcraft Ghost or what the fuck ever but as it's been mentioned about 80 bajillion* times let's stop talking about it - especially if you're not going to say anything beyond "I wanted to play it". At least say *why* you think Blizzard could have pulled a stealth 3rd person game out of their ass when their previous successful track history is in isometric hack&slash and RTS. Alright?

This is your official warning. From here on out, if you don't say "why" you wanted to play Starcraft Ghost, I'm just deleting your post.
Wasn't it being developed by an outside studio overseen by Blizzard (though it still ended up being below Blizzard's standards, thus they cancelled it)? Wiki says by Nihilistic Studios, who's only title at the time WAS a well received FPS. They then dropped it and it was picked up by another studio (which I assume ultimately dropped the ball with it?).

Honestly, I think if it was done well (insert rebuttal about any game being done well is good), being a ghost could be awesome, not to mention it ties into all the starcraft story, hence, woo.
Griffin wrote:Starsiege 2 (Earthsiege 4?)
Yea, I would have loved to see this one too, I spent endless hours online playing the modded maps and gametypes. Too bad the community is all but dead nowadays. :|

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:56 pm UTC

I honestly don't know much of the details of Starcraft:Ghost's cancellation. I do know that R&D costs money, and the only way to recoup your losses is to have a product, so for Blizzard to spend money to get as much running as they did before putting a bullet in it's head says to me that - they had an idea there, it looked good on paper, but for whatever reason it just wasn't working out when they tried to make a game of it. They spent some time having a go at it, but eventually determined that everything they had done on it to that point wasn't salvageable. So they put it down.

We can make all the posits we want about whether or not it was up to Blizzard's Standards of Quality, and we can hazard guesses at what other game developers might have done with it if they were the ones in charge - whether or not they'd kick it out the door or not. We can even make guesses as to whether or not Blizzard found they just weren't able to make a story go with the game... and all of those guesses would involve research and attempting to cut through company press releases and the like to get at the truth of it, and even then that won't be exactly accurate. Not many companies are willing to say - especially to their investors - that they spent an extra two years on a piece of shit that they were pretty sure wasn't going to work out. Nor are they willing to say that their standards are so high that a shooter with huge brand recognition that would have raked in money like crazy isn't going to be released because they're pretty sure the average rating would *only* be a 75%. I mean, from an investment standpoint, the first one says the company's out of control and pissing money away on shit they know is terrible, and the second says that the company, after a few *fluke* successes is so paralyzed by fear of failure that they're unwilling to try anything new.

Neither one is particularly good for building confidence.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:50 pm UTC

I remember watching a video preview of Warcraft Stories: Lord of the Clans that I got on a CD on the front of a magazine back in the day. It looked like a very interesting game at the time (and although they may make you laugh now the graphics were awesome for the time, I found gameplay footage HERE).

I was also sad at the cancellation of Dungeon Keeper 3 but still hold out hope that it'll appear one day (hey, if Monkey Island can delight me yet again then anything is possible).

Apart from those I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Ohh apart from how I never understood why they never mad an actual sequel to Total Annihilation (Kingdoms doesn't count) as it was such an awesome game.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

The Total Annihilation IP got bought by another company and then banished to IP-purgatory-land when said company decided to not do anything with the series. Chris Taylor went on to make Supreme Commander, which was a sequel in terms of gameplay, but set in a new universe to get around ownership rights.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

aireoth

Postby aireoth » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I have a huge list, but just to name a few.

BC for the Xbox (so sad to see it go)
Black Isle's Torn
Dungeon Keeper 3
Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans
Both X-Com games (Alliance and Genesis)
The Indestructibles (Bullfrogs biggest project EVER)
the original Mechwarrior 2, prior to its complete rebuild.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:36 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Look, we're all terribly interested in Starcraft Ghost or what the fuck ever but as it's been mentioned about 80 bajillion times let's stop talking about it - especially if you're not going to say anything beyond "I wanted to play it". At least say *why* you think Blizzard could have pulled a stealth 3rd person game out of their ass when their previous successful track history is in isometric hack&slash and RTS. Alright?

To be honest I think the hype around it is largely because Starcraft was so awesome and because Blizzard has a good track record. It would be interesting to see if it was a good game because then we'd know if Blizzard just worked well in their niche or if they were just really awesome at producing games.

Probably. The reason that I thought Ghost might have been fun is solely because I liked the idea of fighting the little critters who I had willingly sent to my death dozens of times as the Zerg on a more one-to-one basis and seeing elements of the RTS game used in different ways for the transition to 3D. It wasn't because I thought Blizzard works particularly well outside of their niche.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:18 pm UTC

Descent Freespace 3

1 and 2 were awesome, awesome games. Amazing gameplay, involved storyline, etc. Freespace 2 ended on a cliffhanger.

The company with rights to publish the game then got aquired by the rival of the company who actually made the game. Thus, no freespace 3, ever.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:39 pm UTC

Agreeing with everyone before me, the cancellation of Starcraft: Ghost was a huge dissapointment. Probably a good move for Blizzard, but I still want to play that game.

And speaking of Starcraft, there was a great Starcraft mod for Warcraft III that never quite made it. It just kills me how close they got, and then just eventually cancelled the whole project because they couldn't get creep/Zerg buildings to work right (or I guess that was the issue, I'm not totally sure). I kinda just wished they would release without the Zerg if it was so much trouble. They do have a demo, though.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-revolution

Watch the gameplay video. At a glance you'd just think it was regular old Starcraft.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

Woofsie

Postby Woofsie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:53 pm UTC

Why not just play Starcraft? The only difference with the mod seems to be minor graphical improvements.

Namaps

Postby Namaps » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:08 am UTC

Woofsie wrote:Why not just play Starcraft? The only difference with the mod seems to be minor graphical improvements.

Part of it's the novelty factor. I bought Street Fighter 4 for $55. Sure, it's really just Street Fighter 2, BUT LOOK 3D!!!!

The other part was that they were going to release a version of Warcraft 3's map editor tailored specifically to the mod. I've always loved the War3 map editor. It was the perfect medium between control over the game and a user-friendly interface. Most are either frustratingly complex for a layperson like myself or boringly simple and restrictive. The ability to use War3's editor for a 3D Starcraft appeals to me like few other things can.
Marbles wrote:The bass trombone is way awesomer than the ordinary trombone.

Turiya wrote:Get out of my head, Randall (except in bed)--that's what SHE said!

thejohnli

Postby thejohnli » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:26 pm UTC

I would probably say Cry Wolf online, that was pretty much Mafia.
AIM stopped the site, and I don't really know why, but whenever I really want to play it I have to deal with the fact it isn't there anymore. D:
Image Image

Click please! <3

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:18 am UTC

Black 9. If I'm not mistaken, it was some kind of Action/RPG with co-op.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

Namaps wrote:I bought Street Fighter 4 for $55. Sure, it's really just Street Fighter 2, BUT LOOK 3D!!!!
That's why there's focus attacks, different grab controls, ultras, new characters, different hitboxes, different moves, different combos, etc. It's clearly the same game.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

To whoever I said Beyond Good & Evil was getting a sequel. I'm sorry. I lied. It was just put on hold.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:40 pm UTC

I really liked Dark and Light when it first came out, but it died fairly quickly. There were some elements of that game that I could get lost on forever and just have a ridiculously good time (parachuting, snowboarding, flying the dragon). I was very disappointed to see it die.

Another game I would have loved to see live on is Gunz. The gameplay was incredibly fun, took a LOT of skill to master, and was pretty unique for what was out at the time. Problem is, I don't recall seeing any advertisement for it in the states whatsoever, it really never got off the ground, and there were a decent number of problems just getting and installing the game (sites to sign up for username, then download this from here, a patch from there.. .oops, didn't work? Try again... etc).

I wish someone would have had the funding to really kick that game off the ground. Could easily replace a lot of FPSs as a highly competitive "pro" game.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:27 am UTC

Phrozt wrote:I really liked Dark and Light when it first came out, but it died fairly quickly. There were some elements of that game that I could get lost on forever and just have a ridiculously good time (parachuting, snowboarding, flying the dragon). I was very disappointed to see it die.

Another game I would have loved to see live on is Gunz. The gameplay was incredibly fun, took a LOT of skill to master, and was pretty unique for what was out at the time. Problem is, I don't recall seeing any advertisement for it in the states whatsoever, it really never got off the ground, and there were a decent number of problems just getting and installing the game (sites to sign up for username, then download this from here, a patch from there.. .oops, didn't work? Try again... etc).

I wish someone would have had the funding to really kick that game off the ground. Could easily replace a lot of FPSs as a highly competitive "pro" game.

Ah yes Gunz. I fucking loved that game to DEATH. Too bad it died, I was lvl 22 and was a total BA with two SMGs.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:Ah yes Gunz. I fucking loved that game to DEATH. Too bad it died, I was lvl 22 and was a total BA with two SMGs.

So you didn't SS I'm guessing?

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:14 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:
Babamthegrunt wrote:Ah yes Gunz. I fucking loved that game to DEATH. Too bad it died, I was lvl 22 and was a total BA with two SMGs.

So you didn't SS I'm guessing?

SS? Sorry, it's been a while.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:43 am UTC

Slash Shot.

I played mainly D-style.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:53 am UTC

Slash shot? I stopped playing after ijijijiji took over.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

shotgunpriest

Postby shotgunpriest » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:50 am UTC

Duke Nuke 'Em Forever.

/Thread

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 am UTC

No, see.. the point is that you wanted to play it when it was canceled, not were subject to years of marketing and so on, not only time alone making you no longer care, but it being reduced to a crude joke with the same manner of wit as "Pull my finger" in the process before someone finally, mercifully, put a bullet in the thing's head, as it had become the same as an ancient, arthritic, blind, deaf, incontinent dog that nevertheless rips off it's diaper and shits on the living room floor every chance it can, leaving you to clean up the mess and do your best to completely ignore it's existence outside of an occasional pat and "Good boy" it can no longer hear because of some vague memories of how awesome it was decades ago.

Return to “Gaming”