Gratuitous Space Battles

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

kandalf

Gratuitous Space Battles

Postby kandalf » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:05 am UTC

So the preorder/beta starts tomorrow. Anyone else buying it?

For those who don't know, it's a 2d space sim with a twist. You build your ships, set your orders, and then let the battle unfold... you have almost no control over your ships once the battle starts.

GSB is the next game from UK developer 'Positech Games'. It's a strategy / management / simulation game that does away with all the base building and delays and gets straight to the meat and potatoes of science-fiction games : The big space battles fought by huge spaceships with tons of laser beams and things going 'zap!', 'ka-boom!' and 'ka-pow!'. In GSB you put your ships together from modular components, arrange them into fleets, give your ships orders of engagement and then hope they emerge victorious from battle (or at least blow to bits in aesthetically pleasing ways).

Gratuitous Space Battles aims to bring the over-the-top explodiness back into space games. The game is for everyone who has watched big space armadas battle it out on TV and thought to themselves 'I could have done a much better job as admiral'. This is not a game of real-time arcade twitch reflexes. GSB is about what ships you design, and what you tell them to do. Your individual ship commanders have total autonomy during the chaotic battle that unfolds. This is not a tactical game, it is a strategic one. These gratuitous space battles are not won by plucky heroes with perfect teeth, but by the geeky starship builders who know exactly what ratio of plasma-cannons to engines each ship in the fleet will need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlIxGkl71J0

http://www.positech.co.uk/gratuitousspa ... index.html

and the devblog: http://www.cliffski.com

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Re: Gratuitous Space Battles

Postby Babam » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:55 am UTC

This sounds awesome. It also sounds like something I would suck at.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

Noooo no no... you can't show me this when it's not finished yet....

nooo..

must

play....
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

Guys, I'd like to point out. GSB is a tower-defense game, and has little/no replayability at the moment. Its really just "design a fleet, throw it at another fleet, watch the AI handle the battle."

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:16 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:Guys, I'd like to point out. GSB is a tower-defense game, and has little/no replayability at the moment. Its really just "design a fleet, throw it at another fleet, watch the AI handle the battle."

It seemed to me that you also get to make the strategy they follow ahead of time.

At any rate, I still like tower defense and will probably guy this if it is any good at all (The site did say they would release a demo)

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:38 pm UTC

Yes, but it's oh so very pretty! Also what I gathered you could *instruct* each ship to do stuff like focus fire on smaller ships, or bomb their big ships etc..etc...

Besides, it's a properly rendered space battle.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:56 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:Guys, I'd like to point out. GSB is a tower-defense game, and has little/no replayability at the moment. Its really just "design a fleet, throw it at another fleet, watch the AI handle the battle."

Sounds awesome to me man. :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:04 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:

Sounds awesome to me man. :mrgreen:

As an entire game? I mean, watching an AI fight is about as fun as watching paint dry, unless the AI is really smart (which from what I've heard from beta-tester friends, its not). Its like saying: Yeah, I like to make custom units in warcraft3's editor, then give them to AI players and see which one wins. And calling that a game.

irateidiot

Postby irateidiot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:01 am UTC

CogDissident wrote:As an entire game? I mean, watching an AI fight is about as fun as watching paint dry

Sounds like someone has trouble delegating.

I've bought the GSB beta and the dumb AI on both sides - yours and your opponents - is what makes it interesting; you have to figure out how to design, deploy, and give standing orders to your pieces so that they engage the enemy.

If you have control of the ships - as you do in WingCommander - then the game is about developing your piloting skills and working out single-ship tactics that exploit loopholes in the AI.

If you can issue orders to your ships in realtime - as you do in Battleships Forever - then the game is about coordinating manouver and working out multi-ship tactics that exploit loopholes in the AI.

So, as you're a WOW-type person, you probably won't enjoy the lack of direct control (or boobage).

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:37 am UTC

Hmm, the game looks promising, but it has a lot of balance twerking to do. I think I'll keep an eye out for this one!
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:23 am UTC

This sounds a fair bit like the combat engine from Stars! but much, much shinier. I would dearly love to see the two combined - GSB as a shiny battle engine for a game with the control and depth of Stars!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

psion

Postby psion » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

The demo is out.

edit: err.... Posting here reverted me back to my old avatar. Weird.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

I missed this post, saw the game on Steam. Anyone play the game/demo yet? I'm getting it when I get home tonight.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:17 am UTC

I was fairly bored during the battles, enough that I started fast-forwarding. I think this game needed to be 3D, as I love watching Homeworld/X3/Jupiter Incident/Haegemonia/Sins/etc ships in combat. 2D combat is simple enough that I wanted to control the ships. The ships also look vaguely cartoony, which didn't help anything.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:15 pm UTC

Managed to fiddle around with the demo a bit. It's definately fun, but i'm thinking this would not stay fun for a long time.

I might pick it up if it drops in price.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

This game is a lot of fun actually.

And I miss Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. I wish those guys could've made a sequel. :x
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

Bought this game this weekend since Steam had it on sale for 9.99. I think that is about all it is worth. The game is not very deep nor is it very challenging. I managed to get through all the missions on all difficulty levels in less than 4 hours. All that is left now is defeating some of the stuff people have setup online.

The only actual challenge in the game comes in maximizing Honor gain by putting as few resources in the field and still winning. Unfortunately, most of the stuff you can unlock on marginally increases combat effectiveness.

I would only reccomend getting this game if you can get it for less than $10.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:24 pm UTC

Zapheod wrote:Bought this game this weekend since Steam had it on sale for 9.99. I think that is about all it is worth. The game is not very deep nor is it very challenging. I managed to get through all the missions on all difficulty levels in less than 4 hours. All that is left now is defeating some of the stuff people have setup online.

The only actual challenge in the game comes in maximizing Honor gain by putting as few resources in the field and still winning. Unfortunately, most of the stuff you can unlock on marginally increases combat effectiveness.

I would only reccomend getting this game if you can get it for less than $10.

Yeah the challenge isn't in beating the set missions. The challenges by others are WAY more difficult. And the game is still being developed and expanded. It suddenly added messages to the challanges etc.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

thc

Gratuitous Space Battles (Steam)

Postby thc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:10 pm UTC

Anyone got it? I'm thinking of getting it, because I love tower defense games.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:52 am UTC

I have it. Haven't played much since i switched computers cause I lost all my designs >_<
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

thc

Postby thc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:04 am UTC

I ended up shelling out the $5 for the steam weekend deal. All I can say is - this game is AMAZING. To extrapolate, the draw of the game comes from multiplayer. The campaign itself is pretty short and easy (even on "expert") and took me less than 2 hours to finish. But the GSB community is very solid (if not a bit small) and participating in tournaments is riduculously addicting.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

wow wait multiplayer? It has multiplayer? This is news to me. I need this game. Now.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

I recently bought this aswell. I had a blast going through the first time. Best thing I learned is that the fewer units you use, the more cash you get for unlocks. Also, the multi-warhead missiles are over-powered. Throw a few of those on a ship and some decent shields and you can crush anything.

thc

Postby thc » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:38 pm UTC

Hardly overpowered. Sure missile spamming can get you through the campaign, but it won't let you beat other players. ;)

The latest online tournament is called "Serial Attack Challenge" To win, you need to beat the challenge before you, as well the preceding three. E.g., if there are 5 challenges up, you need to beat #2,3,4 and 5 with the same fleet, which you then post as #6. The next person then needs to beat #3,4,6 and 6. Basically, an implementation to cut down on boring rock-paper-scissors.

Here's the link. Why don't you give it a shot? I mean, if you're a man.

The Milkman

Postby The Milkman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

So I picked this up on sale and I'm having a really hard time learning it. I don't know why.

Does anyone have any tips?
Do you love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Did you wish that you had a place to talk about your love? Then join #xkcd-ponies! You won't be sorry.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

The Milkman wrote:Does anyone have any tips?

Start simple. Spam cruisers with megaton missiles or whatever. That should get you through the first couple of stages. As they stop being able to cut it alone, you should naturally evolve strategies (Getting swamped by fighters? Frigates with rocket launchers, etc). Also play around with tactics. I find that heavily armored cruisers up front set to "rescuer" with missile frigates in the back set to "vulture" "Keep moving" and "cautious" works well as a basic strategy, modified to suit the situation at hand.

*disclaimer: I only picked this game up myself a few days ago, so my suggestions might be TERRIBLE, it's just what has worked for me.)

Return to “Gaming”