DDO now free

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jack21222

DDO now free

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:54 pm UTC

I did a search, and couldn't find any threads about this game.

Dungeons and Dragons Online, a MMORPG from Turbine, dumped their monthly subscription and adopted a Korean-style model, where if you want certain benefits, you have to pay, but otherwise, it's free. For example, if you want to play as a drow, or play as a monk, or do certain quests, you can purchase those things to unlock on your account.

When the game first came out, I tried it for a few months, but wasn't too impressed, mainly due to the player base being quite snobby about exactly how you build your character. It isn't even just the high-level guilds that were picky. Level 2 characters were being criticized for not selecting certain spells, for example.

Now, since it's free to download and free to play, the newbies have completely overwhelmed the grizzled veterans, and they are a lot less judgmental. I'm now actually having fun with the game.

Anybody playing this game? I'm on the Khyber server, character named Mappy.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: DDO now free

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:05 am UTC

Yeah I'm downloading it right now, I can't wait to see what it's like.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Bulvox

Postby Bulvox » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:14 am UTC

Just downloaded it the other day. I've got a Dwarf Barbarian right now by the name of Balurt Thunderaxe on Khyber.
See Ya Space Cowboy...

GooglyBoogly

Postby GooglyBoogly » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:33 am UTC

Would it really be that hard to give a link with your posts?

Here:

http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/download-ddo
Last edited by GooglyBoogly on Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:34 am UTC

I'm in but I don't play very often. I don't remember my name or server.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:35 pm UTC

GooglyBoogly wrote:Would it really be that hard to give a link with your posts?

Here:

http://www.ddo.com/ddosupport/download-ddo

Would it really be that hard to google the game yourself if you're interested? I wasn't advertising the game, I was asking if anybody was playing the game.
Hey, can I be a passive-aggressive dick too? Actually, I prefer direct aggression. GooglyBoogly, shut the fuck up in threads and report that sort of shit. Jack, read the damn Gaming Rules Thread, particularly #4 and provide a link.

There. Now everyone shut the hell up about Blah blah give a link! Blah blah use google, so so help me I'll turn this whole damn forum around and we'll go home and just stare at the wall and watch paint dry!

..... See kids, That's aggression. Screw this passive crap, be direct!

...and just so we're all on the same page here, no, I'm not mad, angry, annoyed, or anything like that. It's just funnier this way. - ST
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:55 pm UTC

I've got a level 5 Fighter on Ghallanda, and a level 3 Barbarian on Cannith that I'm planning on dipping into fighter for some feats.

Is anybody else having a problem with their website not displaying their characters properly? It's kinda annoying, as I wanna show people what/who I've got.

Here is the link to my account page, but it only shows a crappy test character I made to get used to the game before playing with friends.

Edit: Apparently not.

I'd post, but I can't due to stupid free accountedness.

Sleipner

Postby Sleipner » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

Since I'm looking at this forum from school, and therefore unable to check out the actual website, could anyone tell me if this MMORPG is based on the same rules as any of the editions? Or, if not, if it provides information about the rules it DOES use? I wanna know before I devote the time to download it (I have a 28.6 kb/s dialup connection. It is absolute MMORPG hell)

Random832

Postby Random832 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

Jack21222 wrote:I did a search, and couldn't find any threads about this game.

Dungeons and Dragons Online, a MMORPG from Turbine, dumped their monthly subscription and adopted a Korean-style model, where if you want certain benefits, you have to pay, but otherwise, it's free. For example, if you want to play as a drow, or play as a monk, or do certain quests, you can purchase those things to unlock on your account.

inb4 "why would you pay to be a monk?" (What they should really do is charge to have more points in your base stats. Then you could pay to play a viable monk.) :mrgreen:

But seriously - does anyone know if it runs on linux (or on wine)?

@Sleipner, IIRC it uses 3.5-ish rules.

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:36 am UTC

Random832 wrote:
Jack21222 wrote: (What they should really do is charge to have more points in your base stats

They do.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:43 am UTC

You can also get the points by doing stuff in game.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:02 am UTC

Random832 wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:I did a search, and couldn't find any threads about this game.

inb4 "why would you pay to be a monk?" (What they should really do is charge to have more points in your base stats. Then you could pay to play a viable monk.) :mrgreen:

But seriously - does anyone know if it runs on linux (or on wine)?

@Sleipner, IIRC it uses 3.5-ish rules.

I hear that monks are actually quite powerful in DDO compared to 3.5. This thread in the OotS forums mentions several of the differences for monks (by way of someone clueless assuming they apply outside of DDO).
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:52 pm UTC

Wait.. quite powerful compared to 3.5? So, what, they smash mountains by looking at them funny?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Wait.. quite powerful compared to 3.5? So, what, they smash mountains by looking at them funny?

The degree to which it is a powerful class in 3.5 does not set the bar nearly high enough to say that they would have to do that to be more powerful.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:16 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Wait.. quite powerful compared to 3.5? So, what, they smash mountains by looking at them funny?

No, but apparently they can actually attack while moving.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

Return to “Gaming”