Borderlands

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Upsilon

Borderlands

Postby Upsilon » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:01 am UTC

I didn't see a thread for it, so here's one.

So. Borderlands. Sort of like Diablo but is a shooter. Lots and lots of guns. Here is the website.

Discuss.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Borderlands

Postby aion7 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:49 am UTC

I'm looking forward to it's price drop. I would buy it on release, but I don't have the cash.

It seems like it's the ultimate in replayability, just think about it.
  • Multiplayer
  • Open world
  • RPG
  • lot's of pieces of equipment with diverse attributes
  • Procedurally generated terrain (at least partially I think)
It also has a killer awesome art style. I'm not sold on the humor aspect, but it looks like a great game.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:37 am UTC

aion7 wrote:I'm looking forward to it's price drop. I would buy it on release, but I don't have the cash.

You could try getting together with some other people and buying the four pack on Steam. It becomes 33.75 USD per person when you do.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:22 am UTC

Been looking forward to this game for aaaages. I was initially a bit turned off by the change in art style from the gritty to the cartoonish but they've saved it with the slightly vulgar sense of humour they seem to be getting. I will probably be pre-ordering it so I can play it in co-op from the beginning with some friends on this here fora.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:01 pm UTC

Pre-ordered, looks awesome, can't wait to play it. ~30 mins of gameplay here, for anyone who's interested.

Apparently it's getting paid dlc before the end of the year too, doubt i'll be getting that (it involves zombies, like far too many games I have already)
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Awia

Postby Awia » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I was initially a bit turned off by the change in art style from the gritty to the cartoonish
The art change made it much better, you're crazy.

I'm going to pre-order this pretty soonish if I have enough money after I build my new computer, it looks awesome.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

TheNextCaesar

Postby TheNextCaesar » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

I'll chip in for the 4-pack on Steam.
"'Sup, dawg? I heard you like simple harmonic motion, so I put a spring in a spring, so you can wave while you wave."
D. Lowenthal, Ph.G

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:23 am UTC

In case you didn't know, the skill trees for each of the characters are out.

Mordecai's, Roland's, Lilith's, and Brick's.

Do you think it's just a coincidence that Mordecai (who has a pet falcon thing) has the same name as a pet falcon in a movie (The Royal Tenenbaums)?
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

ian

Postby ian » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:59 am UTC

Can you pick across all three trees, or just one?

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:18 am UTC

You get one skill point per level up to the cap of 50. If you click the skills on those pages, you can plan characters out.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:45 am UTC

I haven't decided on what platform to get this for yet. I feel like I'd have a lot more people to play coop with if I got it on the PC though.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:12 pm UTC

ian wrote:Can you pick across all three trees, or just one?

You can place points in any of the three trees, but you have to have spent at least five points in one tier to be able to put points in the tiers below it.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:36 am UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:I haven't decided on what platform to get this for yet. I feel like I'd have a lot more people to play coop with if I got it on the PC though.

Its a much more likely that you will be able to find friends who own it on PC rather than console. Especially because that way you can get it on steam and join the inevitable XKCD-Borderlands group (because there is already an XKCD group for tf2 and l4d and many others).

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:47 pm UTC

CogDissident wrote:
crucialityfactor wrote:I haven't decided on what platform to get this for yet. I feel like I'd have a lot more people to play coop with if I got it on the PC though.

Its a much more likely that you will be able to find friends who own it on PC rather than console. Especially because that way you can get it on steam and join the inevitable XKCD-Borderlands group (because there is already an XKCD group for tf2 and l4d and many others).

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm also a part of the penny arcade gaming community. Plus I bought this computer to play games on it. Might as well use it right?

That being said. Anyone down for splitting the 4-pack? PM me to let me know.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:21 pm UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:
CogDissident wrote:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm also a part of the penny arcade gaming community. Plus I bought this computer to play games on it. Might as well use it right?

But... I thought you loved me.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Gojoe wrote:
crucialityfactor wrote:
CogDissident wrote:

But... I thought you loved me.

What...do you stalk me? :P Get it for PC too.

benbw

Postby benbw » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:37 pm UTC

Is anyone here groupless on PC? I'd like to get a group together to play with, but all of my friends are console players.

I preordered through the borderbundles subreddit, and I am incredibly excited for this game.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:47 pm UTC

What class are you guys going to be playing? Everyone I asked has picked Mordecai so far, me included. So I think I'm gonna try my hand at Lillith and see what that Phasewalking is all about.

I've bought the four-pack on Steam with some friends too, only the game releases a few days later for me, so I can't start together with them. :(

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:41 am UTC

I'll be playing as either Mordecai or Roland. Lilith's my next pick after them. Brick is just uninteresting to me.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

ProjectWind

Postby ProjectWind » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:43 am UTC

I'll be getting this game for pc on monday. I'm up for playing with any of you. I'll probably be playing Brick (yay)
- ProjectMuffin.

aeiss

Postby aeiss » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:43 am UTC

Got as part of 4-pack with friends on steam.
Looking forward to playing this when HSC is over : D
Still undecided as to class, all have their pros and cons, and quite intriguing also.

My preferences I think are Lilith>Mordecai>Brick>Roland but of course won't know for sure until I play the game, and I think Lilith/Mordecai have already been "shotgunned" by my friends, so to speak. Alas.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

So, it seems that most people like Mordecai and Lillith. Which is to say, the two who happen to have unusual abilties, as opposed to being Generic McShooterguy. Coincidence?

On a related note, I find the skill trees somewhat disappointing. A lot of the options seem to be incredibly imaginative and exciting things like "Increase health by 5%".

benbw

Postby benbw » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:41 pm UTC

My first choice would be Mordecai, followed by Lilith, Roland, and Brick. Roland seems like my kind of class, but I really don't like his ability(the turret).

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:37 pm UTC

Yeah, most people seem to favour Lilith and Mordecai, and Brick is very unpopular. I probably would have picked Lilith or Roland (while sniping is fun, I prefer to be in the fray) but Lilith got bagsied in the group I'm playing with so I'm going to be Roland. I'm not at all bothered - I do have a soft spot for assault rifles. And I mean, healing people by shooting them? What's not to love? Although I'm not really known for friendly fire, unlike Awia. But she's being Mordecai so that should keep friendly fire incidents to a minimum. Even if there actually isn't any friendly fire.

I may well have a singleplayer game to trail behind the co-op one and play as Lilith for that, so it's all good.

ProjectWind

Postby ProjectWind » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm UTC

i don't understand why Brick is so unpopular. You get to punch things to pieces. also you get to blow stuff up. What's not to love?
- ProjectMuffin.

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:21 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Although I'm not really known for friendly fire, unlike Awia.
I reserve the right to shoot you all at any time.

I'm speccing Mordecai for gun slinger though so no sniping for me and friendly fire gallore!

LTK

Postby LTK » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

ProjectWind wrote:i don't understand why Brick is so unpopular. You get to punch things to pieces. also you get to blow stuff up. What's not to love?

Maybe that he's ugly. He's certainly worth trying, I'm sure. I mean, look at how they introduced the characters: Mordecai as the Hunter, Lillith as the Siren, Roland as the Soldier, and Brick... as himself! Haha, class. I hope it's easy to switch characters in the game, because I want to get a feel for each of the characters before sticking with someone.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Plus the fact that when he goes into berserker mode, he screams constantly for the entire duration. It's a big dude screaming for like a minute without stopping.

And good on you Awia. Revolvers are awesome and make you like that dude in those cowboy films. You can even call the Badass Raiders "punks" if you want and ask them how their luck is fairing.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

If you're a four player game, and your characters are each going to play differently, then you should allow more than one person to play the same character. I was gonna get this, but not if I have to play as a class I'm not itnerested just to join my friends. I'll stick with Diablo 2.

Awia

Postby Awia » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

More than one person can play the same class, it's just that we're trying for a 1 person as each class approach.

In fact, an all Lilith group looks like it would be brutal if specced the right way.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:37 pm UTC

I'm looking for one more person to get in on the Steam 4-pack. I'm gonna take the first person to PM me. I also posted this on the PA forums, so I expect to hear from at least one person sooner rather than later.

All games are spoken for.
Last edited by crucialityfactor on Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:17 pm UTC

Bagsied. I hope.

GrawSith

Postby GrawSith » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:06 am UTC

I just played my first few hours with the Soldier, and I must have seen about fifty guns so far. Damn skags are making me cranky. The turret is a lifesaver.

How is the Siren? I'm curious about her invisible-thingo, but she seems a bit fragile?

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

I'm a level 20 hunter, just beat Sledge, and I am loving every single second of this game. I haven't even attempted the co-op (I want to absorb the nice details and intricacies of the weapon system before I engage in loot wars), and I still think it's the best game of the year, hands down.

Here's my more extensive review

Be sure to digg if you like it!
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

Mactabilis

Postby Mactabilis » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:36 pm UTC

Been playing solo as a tank. most fun i ever had was punching lvl 21 skagzilla to death as a lvl 18 tank. i ran out of ammo for all three of my guns, and the damn thing was still walking, a little roid rage cleared that right up. I have also beaten to death ALL bad ass psychos i come across, all midgets (i have a thing for beating midgets i dunno why) and a bad ass bruiser, who was kicking my ass in a gun battle, so i just decided to beat him to death. Its a little unbalancing as some enemies who are tough in a gun battle fall like bitches to my rage attack, but some serious fun none the less.

I'm also playing a co-op game with my GF, she is Lilith and i am roland, have to say Lilith's powers seem fairly useless so far. at lvl 5 and 6 we just crushed skag valley's 7-10 skags, including a few bad ass lvl 10 skags. with out much trouble, they all had yellow triangles but not red skulls next to there names, so i guess they wern't too far ahead, but it still feels good to take out a lv 10 bad ass skag at lv 7.

how far above my level should a monster be before i can claim i have leet skills for killing it?

the only way this game could be better is if you unlocked all areas, and finished the main quest by lvl 15, and the rest was just side quests and exploring and finding guns (with enough content to take you all the way to lvl 50 and still not be done!).

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Two questions:

Has anyone attempted to play co-op without mics? If so, how did it go? I don't have one, and I'm fixin' to have me some co-op soon.

I tried finding a match using the matchmaker, and it gave me all <lvl10 parties. I was a lvl 18 hunter ready to take on sledge, and it kept giving me parties on nine toes. Am I missing something?

Mactabilis

Postby Mactabilis » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

that's weird i killed nine toes at lvl 4, and sledge at lvl 15 they were both +/- the same lvl as me. those lvl 18 guys on nine toes must be second play through or something.

Edit: opps misread your post
Last edited by Mactabilis on Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

No, I'm saying that the system was putting me with lvl 7 nine-toes players instead of 15-20 sledge players.

bocochoco

Postby bocochoco » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:21 pm UTC

Mactabilis wrote:how far above my level should a monster be before i can claim i have leet skills for killing it?

At level 10, killed a level 15 without horrible problems as Lillith.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:40 pm UTC

I was wondering, if I get the PC version, can I play live with friends who have the Xbox version?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Gaming”